Organised Religion

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

As I was reading earlier this evening a phrase in my book caught my attention and caused me to think.

The phrase was ‘organised religion’ and I began to wonder if that, in fact, is what is wrong with today’s churches – too much organisation and not enough spontaneity as we let the Holy Spirit lead.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

As I was reading earlier this evening a phrase in my book caught my attention and caused me to think.

The phrase was ‘organised religion’ and I began to wonder if that, in fact, is what is wrong with today’s churches – too much organisation and not enough spontaneity as we let the Holy Spirit lead.

If you were in charge of a church, how would you run things?

Reactions: Miss Hepburn

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

That’s why I left ‘ Church ‘ Pearl…..convictions over the years about how things were done, or why they were done. They were following ‘ how ‘ things were planned and there was little deviation. In some respects I respect the Quakers, they sit in silence and if anyone feels led to speak they get up and speak.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Well obviously I'm not in charge of a church but if I was I would pray a lot and ask God what he wanted.

Reactions: marks

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
That’s why I left ‘ Church ‘ Pearl…..convictions over the years about how things were done, or why they were done. They were following ‘ how ‘ things were planned and there was little deviation. In some respects I respect the Quakers, they sit in silence and if anyone feels led to speak they get up and speak.
Yes @Rita that's why I left too. And I was just thinking about the Quakers before I read your post.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well obviously I'm not in charge of a church but if I was I would pray a lot and ask God what he wanted.
How about democratically electing leaders who would run the church? They would serve for a limited period of time, and then there would be another election, and another, and so on.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think organized religion is a good thing. But spontenaity is also a good thing. Perhaps if your church had both. When I was LDS they would have an organized service and once a month they have fast and testimony meetings where you could get up as lead by the spirit to witness. Perhaps that's not exactly what you would like, but perhaps it's better than nothing.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I believe things like this is why there is denomination, the Holy Spirit being all things to all people. Want organization? Go to denomination X. Want spontaneity? Go to denomination Y.

Praise God!

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I agree Pearl. The pastors have to deal with building up keep, bills, and making sure that nice new rug is installed in the fellowship room! It has become to me, fall in line with EVERYTHING they teach, or you are a pariah, a divider.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree Pearl. The pastors have to deal with building up keep, bills, and making sure that nice new rug is installed in the fellowship room! It has become to me, fall in line with EVERYTHING they teach, or you are a pariah, a divider.
This is way too cynical. Pastors are in many cases caretakers of the physical church (as well as the people of the church). They generally are responsible for keeping up the building, paying the bills, etc., in addition to their pastoral work.

If you really believe the last sentence that you wrote, change churches!

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
How about democratically electing leaders who would run the church? They would serve for a limited period of time, and then there would be another election, and another, and so on.
God's Kingdom is not a democracy. That's the whole problem people like you treating as thought it were.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God's Kingdom is not a democracy. That's the whole problem people like you treating as thought it were.
Yes that's one of the problems with churches these days. The LDS church elects it's leaders from the higher ups and so does the Catholic church. God never did that. He calls a prophet himself or leaders. But men don't always have that option so they make the best decisions they can I suppose.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
...The phrase was ‘organised religion’...
You should be aware that this phrase has been around for a long time and it originated with the cults, who reject fundamental Bible doctrine. So it is more or less a code phrase for rejecting anything that does not fit into their false beliefs.

There is always a need to ensure that there is some degree of organization since that was true even in the New Testament churches. But that should not be the primary goal.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Before I retired from my position as a church elder, that was how leaders in our church were chosen. They served as long as God wanted them to serve; there were no time limits. But if they or the congregation felt that it was time for a change, then a new election was held.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

"... the whole problem people like you" shows your judgmental attitude.

Acts 6:1-6, "In those days when the number of disciples was increasing, the Hellenistic Jews among them complained against the Hebraic Jews because their widows were being overlooked in the daily distribution of food. So the Twelve gathered all the disciples together and said, “It would not be right for us to neglect the ministry of the word of God in order to wait on tables. Brothers and sisters, choose seven men from among you who are known to be full of the Spirit and wisdom. We will turn this responsibility over to them and will give our attention to prayer and the ministry of the word.”

This proposal pleased the whole group. They chose Stephen, a man full of faith and of the Holy Spirit; also Philip, Procorus, Nicanor, Timon, Parmenas, and Nicolas from Antioch, a convert to Judaism. They presented these men to the apostles, who prayed and laid their hands on them."

Pearl, you need to pay more attention to God's word, which clearly supports "democracy", people choosing their leaders, instead of your false and angry doctrine.

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
you pray and do it the best you feel led to.. everyone is looking for the perfect church with the perfect pastor run the perfect way.

i am a pastor full responsibility falls to ME . one i dont do religion . i preach the word yes there had better be some structure /organization . i study the message out i then preach what GOD gives me. for those who left the Church i invite you to open up your own Church . i try to leave room for the holy Spirit to speak. for those who feel they know how it should be done.. i invite you to pastor a church . open the doors and hope and pray people show up. hope and pray there is enough offering to pay the bills. try it you will soon see just how easy it it

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Pearl, Good topic.
Is there anything off the bat you would like to change? :)