Our purpose as Christians?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Someone on these forums recently said the following in our on line discussion.
"You are not created to DIE. Your purpose is to LIVE while SINNERS DIE. -- So live as GOD intended, and stop being more "kind" to others than you are to yourself."
Personally I find the statement offensive and far from the purpose of Christ and His church. Apart from the biblical Idea that God desired to create a peculiar people for Himself, Why are we here? Is it to "Live while Sinners Die?"
I'd really like to know because apparently I'm not a Christian if I believe that I should live as a "living sacrifice" submitting myself to God's will and direction through His Spirit. What do real Christians believe?

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
"You are not created to DIE. Your purpose is to LIVE while SINNERS DIE. -- So live as GOD intended, and stop being more "kind" to others than you are to yourself."
Personally I find the statement offensive and far from the purpose of Christ and His church. Apart from the biblical Idea that God desired to create a peculiar people for Himself, Why are we here? Is it to "Live while Sinners Die?"
I'd really like to know because apparently I'm not a Christian if I believe that I should live as a "living sacrifice" submitting myself to God's will and direction through His Spirit. What do real Christians believe?
can you say what engendered the "stop being more kind to others than you are to yourself" part? ty
but ya, does seem kind of judgemental, although the "live as God intended" may not have been meant as personally as it came out?
plus we have some SiT there i guess, surely our definitions of some of those terms differ, i mean i dunno about you but im still a sinner? Although extrapolating from what he said--hearing what he meant iow maybe--it does kind of follow that those who are "saved" should outlive those who perish, yeh? Even if i might have put it diff

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Why are we here? Is it to "Live while Sinners Die?"
Quite the opposite. We are here to proclaim the Gospel -- that God offers the gift of eternal life freely to all who will repent and believe on the Lord Jesus Christ. No sinner needs to die and go to Hell. The Gospel is now freely available on the Internet.

The mandate to the Church is to (1) preach the Gospel to every creature (Mk 16:15,16) and (2) make disciples of all nations (Mt 28:18-29). It could not get any simpler (or any tougher).

historyb

Mar 10, 2011
in a house
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I think that we are to do His will as people. The Church is to preach and make disciples, but I believe ours like I opined is to do His will

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Quite the opposite. We are here to proclaim the Gospel -- that God offers the gift of eternal life freely to all who will repent and believe on the Lord Jesus Christ. No sinner needs to die and go to Hell. The Gospel is now freely available on the Internet.

The mandate to the Church is to (1) preach the Gospel to every creature (Mk 16:15,16) and (2) make disciples of all nations (Mt 28:18-29). It could not get any simpler (or any tougher).
Thank you for your input, succint, biblical, and to the point.

Reactions: Enoch111

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think that we are to do His will as people. The Church is to preach and make disciples, but I believe ours like I opined is to do His will
Fair enough and true as far as I know. My only question back to you is do you see yourself as part of the church (congregation) with that ultimate responsibility of the church (to the extent you've been gifted and called in His grace)?

Bobby Jo

Feb 5, 2019
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
...We are here to proclaim the Gospel -- that God offers the gift of eternal life freely to all who will repent and believe on the Lord Jesus Christ. ...

Some some Pastors are so focused on "Proclaiming The Gospel" they forget THEIR OWN FAMILY, and Scripture tells us they are WORSE THAN AN INFIDEL. So how about US? We're told to LOVE OUR NEIGHBORS AS OUR SELF, and so We Must Love Our Self as part of that equation.

Solomon wrote in Ecclesiastes:

Ecclesiastes 8: 15 And I commend enjoyment, for man has no good thing under the sun but to eat and drink and enjoy himself, for this will go with him in his toil through the days of life which God gives him under the sun.

... because Solomon recognized that life is a MISERABLE place if we don't enjoy some part of it; and GOD gave us ONE DAY A WEEK to rest so that we can enjoy the Blessings HE Bestows.

Consider where GOD intended for us to have LIFE, and LIFE MORE ABUNDANTLY, but some long for DEATH. Some assert that when BRIGHT LIGHTS flash above our cities, they will "walk toward the lights" rather than face the challenges of LIVING. But NOAH didn't long to drown, and we shouldn't long for radiation to kill us. -- We can't FORCE sinners to get saved, we can only reach out to them. So if they choose to accept the Mark of the Beast, then they will receive their "reward". BUT THE CHURCH WILL SURVIVE either through Martyrdom or by Endurance:

Rev. 20:4 ... Also I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded for their testimony to Jesus and for the word of God, and who had not worshiped the beast or its image and had not received its mark on their foreheads or their hands. They came to life, and reigned with Christ a thousand years.

Rev. 13:10 ... Here is a call for the endurance and faith of the saints.
Rev. 14:12 Here is a call for the endurance of the saints, those who keep the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus.

And there are Eeyors in life who like the attention of their self induced deprivations, -- but I ain't one of them.

Bobby Jo

Last edited:

Bobby Jo

Feb 5, 2019
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
See yah, wouldn't want to be yah.

... said the Eeyor ...

Phillipians 4:11 Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content.
12 I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need.

Bobby Jo

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
We're told to LOVE OUR NEIGHBORS AS OUR SELF, and so We Must Love Our Self as part of that equation.
There's no need to twist this. No one deliberately chooses to harm themselves (other than a few who commit suicide). And that is what loving your neighbor is all about. DO NO HARM.

Reactions: michaelvpardo

Bobby Jo

Feb 5, 2019
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
... No one deliberately chooses to harm themselves ...

In the REAL WORLD there are people who dwell in misery, and wait for acquaintances to take pity on them. -- It's UNHEALTHY and UNGODLY.

Jesus rejoiced and cried, -- should we not do the same ...
Bobby Jo

Bobby Jo

Feb 5, 2019
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Said ....

... Scripture:

Phillipians 4:11 Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content.
12 I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need.

Whew,
Bobby Jo

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Yeah, your last statement, "... I believe that I should live as a "living sacrifice" submitting myself to God's will and direction through His Spirit." That's why you're here.

As a believer on Christ Jesus though, we are here in order to be ambassadors of The Gospel of Jesus Christ. That is our main purpose, even though God through The Holy Spirit may have individual assignments we are to fulfill in that overall Plan.

For the very end of this world, during the tribulation, there is a group of Christ's servants that have a specific mission to give a Testimony for Him with The Holy Spirit speaking through them to all nations (Mark 13). That is the Joel 2 prophecy Apostle Peter was talking about in Acts 2.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
What is the primary purpose of mankind? To worship God? How do we worship God? By Loving Him and keeping His Statutes.

God expressed it this way within the context of the Second Commandment: -

Exodus 20:6: - but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments.

I find this verse answers your question of "What is our purpose as Christians?"

Last edited:

historyb

Mar 10, 2011
in a house
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Fair enough and true as far as I know. My only question back to you is do you see yourself as part of the church (congregation) with that ultimate responsibility of the church (to the extent you've been gifted and called in His grace)?

Yes to the first part and no to the second part. :) I believe it is the Deacons, Priests, Bishops, and the Patriarch's ultimate responsibility to spread the Gospel while we can to by how we live and such also.

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

The Westminster shorter catechism says "The chief end of man is to glorify God and enjoy him forever".
I always liked that. Especially the 'spin' John Piper put on it: we glorify God BY enjoying him forever.
How do we 'enjoy' God the most fully? I think Jesus tells us. Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul and mind, and love your neighbour as you love yourself.
The more we love God and serve others IN our love for him, the more God's Spirit works in us and through us. Joy, most abundantly when we take up our crosses. An no, I don't think that necessarily means 'dying'...it just means "it's not about you". It's about Jesus, it's always been about Jesus. And when we live for him, love him, be generous for him, point to him with our actions, words and lives, the Spirit brings us closer and closer to him.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
The Westminster shorter catechism says "The chief end of man is to glorify God and enjoy him forever".
I always liked that. Especially the 'spin' John Piper put on it: we glorify God BY enjoying him forever.
How do we 'enjoy' God the most fully? I think Jesus tells us. Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul and mind, and love your neighbour as you love yourself.
The more we love God and serve others IN our love for him, the more God's Spirit works in us and through us. Joy, most abundantly when we take up our crosses. An no, I don't think that necessarily means 'dying'...it just means "it's not about you". It's about Jesus, it's always been about Jesus. And when we live for him, love him, be generous for him, point to him with our actions, words and lives, the Spirit brings us closer and closer to him.
I guess I would understand 'enjoy Him' as in joy / rejoice, as in Philippians...

Bobby Jo

Feb 5, 2019
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Quite the opposite. We are here to proclaim the Gospel ...
... and to do so requires that you NOT RUN TOWARD THE LIGHTS! So we LIVE while GOD JUDGES the world.

And just as GOD did not REMOVE the Saints from the JUDGEMENT OF WATER but instead REMOVED the Sinners; so too during the JUDGEMENT OF FIRE.
Bobby Jo

Last edited:

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I guess I would understand 'enjoy Him' as in joy / rejoice, as in Philippians...
True....although, I think we can 'enjoy' God in more ways than just joy. Joy is a pure, happy emotion, and I think we can still...delight...in the Lord even when we don't feel joy. Even in our mourning, fear, or maybe even righteous anger, we can experience a certain pleasure in knowing who our God is, how he responds to us in these times and that he never changes. He is our rock.