Our Soul

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Where does everyone think our souls come from? Do you think that our soul came into existence at birth? Beforehand? What do you think?

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where does everyone think our souls come from? Do you think that our soul came into existence at birth? Beforehand? What do you think?

I believe we are given a soul at the time of conception.

Reactions: Helen

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who we are. Made up of our mind,will, emotions. Our very essence.

Well if there is no scripture explicitly stating that our soul existed at any other time but at the moment of conception, then I have no reason to believe otherwise.

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who we are. Made up of our mind,will, heart emotions. Our very essence.:)

nope as usual a so called Christian would rather guess, and speculate, then seek the Truth of God from the Word of God:

Mat 22:37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

Mar_12:30 And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.

note that Jesus who is the Word of God that was in the beginning with God, describes the soul as a separate thing from the mind and heart.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
note that Jesus who is the Word of God that was in the beginning with God, describes the soul as a separate thing from the mind and heart.
ha well that might be fair, but it might also be unfair; the "heart" spoken of there is acknowledged to be actually a part of the mind, etc.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
imo if God knew us before we were born, as it appears that He did, then the part that He "knew" was the soul; the thing that you basically described, right, the part of us that exists separate from the body, the mind, heart, (and even "gut" i guess, for "three.") etc.

funny we don't have...less "material" expressions for these, huh? Since all three might describe body parts also.

prashanthd

Aug 16, 2013
Hyderabad, India
Faith
Christian
Country
India
I think the words - heart(not physical), soul and mind are different but they are of the same nature.

This is what I found from the translations of Matt 22:37 and Mar 12:30.

The word heart is from greek word 'Kardia' meaning:
that organ in the animal body which is the centre of the circulation of the blood, and hence was regarded as the seat of physical life
denotes the centre of all physical and spiritual life
the vigour and sense of physical life
the centre and seat of spiritual life
the soul or mind, as it is the fountain and seat of the thoughts, passions, desires, appetites, affections, purposes, endeavours
of the understanding, the faculty and seat of the intelligence
of the will and character
of the soul so far as it is affected and stirred in a bad way or good, or of the soul as the seat of the sensibilities, affections, emotions, desires, appetites, passions
of the middle or central or inmost part of anything, even though inanimate

The word soul is from the greek word 'Psuche' meaning:
breath
the breath of life
the vital force which animates the body and shows itself in breathing 1a
of animals 1a
of men
life
that in which there is life
a living being, a living soul
the soul
the seat of the feelings, desires, affections, aversions (our heart, soul etc.)
the (human) soul in so far as it is constituted that by the right use of the aids offered it by God it can attain its highest end and secure eternal blessedness, the soul regarded as a moral being designed for everlasting life
the soul as an essence which differs from the body and is not dissolved by death (distinguished from other parts of the body)

The word mind is from the greek word 'Dianoia' meaning:
the mind as a faculty of understanding, feeling, desiring
understanding
mind, i.e. spirit, way of thinking and feeling
thoughts, either good or bad

They all have to do with feelings, hence they are of the same nature. If we have to understand since when we started having souls, we should also understand since when we had hearts(not physical) and minds. :)

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Did our soul automatically exist at conception or was it given to us as an existing thing?

I believe at conception...and I like @prashanthd reminder of that scripture ...Adam was 'formed' then God breathed into.
I believe that our spirit is/was part of God Himself...but the soul at conception...because the spirt cant 'return' of it was never there in the first place! From God we came, and to God we will return.
Ecc 12 "Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was, and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it."
I think we were 'in Him' back there...but I hold all those kind of observations lightly :)