Own Your Face - Robert Hogue - An amazingly candid talk. (Video)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Deeply inspiring. God Bless you and your family Robert.

watched last night. Thank you for posting ...it was a good message. What really stood out for me is his mention of photo shopping or retouching photos for Facebook. Even before family and friends can see them. Thinking we all have to reach the peak of the mountain. Afraid for the wear-in-tear of the walk will show...or that is what I got from it. The question of: Why do we fear so much and want to cover up or retouch an image, to present a false one?

Reactions: WaterSong

WaterSong

Nov 9, 2020
Kansas City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
watched last night. Thank you for posting ...it was a good message. What really stood out for me is his mention of photo shopping or retouching photos for Facebook. Even before family and friends can see them. Thinking we all have to reach the peak of the mountain. Afraid for the wear-in-tear of the walk will show...or that is what I got from it. The question of: Why do we fear so much and want to cover up or retouch an image, to present a false one?
Maybe because if we saw those whom the entertainment industry wants to sell to us as idols we'd realize they're nothing to look up to? Because they're just as fault filled as we are.

I watched a move years ago about a gorgeous super model who died as a junkie and from AIDS. She was a victim when the outbreak was first getting started in America. Angelina Jole' played her role. "GIA", based on the life of Gia Carangi. Very well acted on AJ's part if I do say so.
Anyway, Gia is in this support group meeting for addicts. This young woman is sitting near her and begins to study her face as if seeming to know her. Gia tells a bit of her story and when it comes the turn of that young woman to speak she addresses Gia personally. Saying, she'd seen her picture on the cover of all these fashion magazines for years. And wondered what it was like to live looking like that. She said she envied the beauty she saw there and wondered what it was like to be her. Now, she said, I realize you don't even look like you.

I thought that was so powerful. (I'm paraphrasing her line of course)

@WaterSong
Thank you for posting this. I had to stop it part way through and invite my wife in to watch it as well. Provided a great insight into where so many have been and are today!
It was my pleasure. :) He is a strong man bearing deep insight into what it means to live in a society largely consumed in visual bias and judgments.

Reactions: amadeus

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
A very interesting presentation. You know, for most of my life I believed I was ugly then in my forties I came to the realisation that this view of myself was untrue.

In a conversation with several people in the last few weeks somehow the topic came up and I happened to mention what I had believed for a long time and I added, nobody ever told me I was ugly but for whatever reason I believed I was. People listened in silence till I finished when one of the guys, to my surprise said 'I don't think that's true, somebody told you that you were ugly' ...more silence.

It's been food for thought since. Children believe what they are told. We can cripple a child by the things we tell them. Robert, in the presentation here has done well in his situation. No doubt he had a supportive family.

The take home message for me is.....yes, you are crippled but you are God's beloved Prince and he has done for you what you cannot do for yourself......and a time is coming when I will see myself just as I am seen.

Reactions: WaterSong

WaterSong

Nov 9, 2020
Kansas City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A very interesting presentation. You know, for most of my life I believed I was ugly then in my forties I came to the realisation that this view of myself was untrue.

In a conversation with several people in the last few weeks somehow the topic came up and I happened to mention what I had believed for a long time and I added, nobody ever told me I was ugly but for whatever reason I believed I was. People listened in silence till I finished when one of the guys, to my surprise said 'I don't think that's true, somebody told you that you were ugly' ...more silence.

It's been food for thought since. Children believe what they are told. We can cripple a child by the things we tell them. Robert, in the presentation here has done well in his situation. No doubt he had a supportive family.

The take home message for me is.....yes, you are crippled but you are God's beloved Prince and he has done for you what you cannot do for yourself......and a time is coming when I will see myself just as I am seen.
And you are a child of God. Glorious in his sight. :)
Well said. :)

I was teased for my looks from K-grade on. Couldn't wait to graduate high school and leave it all behind.
Ten years later I received an invitation to the class of reunion. Married then I thought, why not.
Sure enough, all the same knuckleheads in high school, all that I came up with from K-grade, were the same knuckleheads ten years after graduation. They were just older knuckleheads.

Then about five years ago I came to the realization.
"Made in the image and likeness of God...." That is all of humanity. Though there are some denominational teachings that claim that pertains only to men. LOL Ah, Lord.
Made in the image and likeness of God, and carrying the generations and the cultural history of both sides of my family on my face. Their history, their struggles, their fortitude, survived this world in order to create a future. And from the future they created, I have my heritage.
If I permit someone to insult my looks, I concede my family lineages are compartmentalized into those hate filled words of a stranger(s).

When I was a kid kids barked at me. The message? You're as ugly as a dog.
Oh, did that hurt. Till one day in my twenties, yeah, it bothered me for years before my brain went, wait a minute....DOGS BARK!
;)
Next time, yes, in my twenties on the sidewalk of Ybor City near Tampa Florida and after visiting a friends boutique, two lovely examples of flesh across the street barked at me. I looked, and they were looking at me and barking. :D "DOG'S BARK YOU DUMB ...." , well, I was less dainty then.
If I could have been paid for the level of shock that rolled across their faces I could have actually bought some of the clothes in my friends boutique.

God bless a smart mouth! It's the offspring of a smart mind.
And it was about time that sucker showed up too! If I'd have said that in school when I was in elementary school I'd have taught a bunch of knuckleheads a few things about barking. ;)