Parable of the Hidden Treasure

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi all,
I'm in the middle of creating a new house plan, waiting for approval from the client to finish. During my down time, I created another video. I hope you enjoy these videos and find them useful. My intent is to follow this video with another one concerning the parable of the pearl.

The video explains the meaning of the Parable of the Treasure in the field. We learn the meaning of both the treasure and the field and why we should buy the field. Our working assumption is that the parables of Jesus explain something about the gospel message or those who preach the gospel.

Blessings.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Very interesting.
One of the things about Jesus' parables is they can have many different interpretations, some helpful to us at a particular time in our lives.

Many years ago I read another interpretation of this parable that was very helpful to me at that particular time in my life.

“The kingdom of Heaven is like treasure hidden in a field which someone has found; he hides it again, goes off in his joy, sells everything he owns and buys the field.” (Mt 13:44)

At first read the parable is just saying that if we really want the kingdom we have to pay a price for it. This is true, but it is not all. There are unanswered questions.

Why did the person who found the treasure not just stick it in his pocket and walk off with it? Or if it was too big for that, why not come back at night to get it? Why rebury and it and then go through all the hassle and expense of buying the field?

Suppose he had just walked off with it; what would the owner of the field feel if he found out that the man had stolen the treasure? Did the owner of the field know the treasure was there? Had he put it there to be found?

Why was the man so joyful at just having found the treasure? I think some translations say he went off rejoicing. If it was me I would have kept very quiet until I had got hold of it. And what did the owner think when this man came and said I think your field is so wonderful that I want to buy it. I’ve sold everything I own, my house, my possessions, my wife and children, just to buy it off you?

To answer this we have to understand what the treasure is, and what the field is, and why the man had to own the field to own the treasure.

So what is the treasure and what is the field?

The treasure is the relationship with God, the reign of God, the gifts of the Spirit, love, peace, joy etc. Becoming children of God, having a relationship with God is a treasure beyond price. We were given this treasure, this relationship with God at our Baptism. What have we done with it? Have we reburied it, rejoiced and bought the field? Or have we just reburied it and forgotten it, or perhaps reburied the treasure and left it there, reckoning we know where it is should we ever need it. But we are not supposed to leave it there, we are supposed to rejoice at having found it, go off and sell everything we have and buy the field.

Why do we have to sell everything we have and buy the field? And what is the field?

The field is the particular community where God wants us to receive his treasure. We can’t properly have the treasure without the community. It’s where that relationship with God is expressed and lived out. It means that we have to live in relationship with others as well as with God, and with particular others not just others in general. God has put his treasure for us in a particular community, or perhaps several communities; our family, our parish, a residential Christian community. Growing in holiness, and in our relationship with God has to be done with others.

But surely God gives us a relationship with him for free, we don’t have to earn it? Well yes, and no. This parable tells us that God want us to buy into the field in order to own the treasure. This is not to do just with money though. We have to give up ourselves, our time, our energies, our skills, and yes, perhaps our money too. We have to make sacrifices. We want the kingdom but are we willing to pay the going price? St. Paul tells us we are children of God, and heirs to the kingdom. But sometimes we don’t want any pain involved in claiming our inheritance.

We don’t need to make ourselves destitute, but we do need to think about what we actually need, and give away the rest to people who do need it. And that applies not only to possessions and money but to our time and our gifts.

And it’s not always easy. The main problem of living in a community, whether it’s a residential community, or a parish community, or our families, is the other people. This field that is our community isn’t always green lush grass, it can be a muddy place, with hidden rocks, with pot holes to trip us up. But it is where we are called to live out our life and our relationship with God.

Too often we can go looking elsewhere. It’s too easy to be constantly looking for a different church, a different group of people, something that suits us better. As someone put it, we wander from field to field like bored goats looking for greener grass.

That is not to say that things don’t change for us. Circumstances change, God calls us to new work, to a new community. But we have to think about where God has buried the treasure for us, the field he wants us to make sacrifices to own; the field he wants us to live in. Jesus said, “For wherever your treasure is, there will your heart be too.” (Mt 6:21). Perhaps we can put it another way. If our heart is not there, then the treasure will not be there either.

We are supposed to be living in the kingdom of heaven now, we are supposed to become the treasure hidden in the field, a new reality in the world and to rejoice in it, so that people can say “they have found the treasure” and then they will go and sell everything they have and join us, so that they too can be sure to have the treasure

Reactions: Nancy and bbyrd009

icxn

Oct 6, 2018
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The field is both the scriptures and our heart (Jeremiah 31:33). The treasure is Christ. Those who study the scriptures find Him there. They subsequently bury Him (His words) in their heart (field) and then go on to buy their heart back from the Devil who has possession of it on account of our sins and love for the things of the world. This is accomplished by giving up (selling as it were) all earthly attachments and fleshly passions.

Reactions: Nancy and Jay Ross

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Very interesting.
One of the things about Jesus' parables is they can have many different interpretations, some helpful to us at a particular time in our lives.

Many years ago I read another interpretation of this parable that was very helpful to me at that particular time in my life.

“The kingdom of Heaven is like treasure hidden in a field which someone has found; he hides it again, goes off in his joy, sells everything he owns and buys the field.” (Mt 13:44)

At first read the parable is just saying that if we really want the kingdom we have to pay a price for it. This is true, but it is not all. There are unanswered questions.

Why did the person who found the treasure not just stick it in his pocket and walk off with it? Or if it was too big for that, why not come back at night to get it? Why rebury and it and then go through all the hassle and expense of buying the field?

Suppose he had just walked off with it; what would the owner of the field feel if he found out that the man had stolen the treasure? Did the owner of the field know the treasure was there? Had he put it there to be found?

Why was the man so joyful at just having found the treasure? I think some translations say he went off rejoicing. If it was me I would have kept very quiet until I had got hold of it. And what did the owner think when this man came and said I think your field is so wonderful that I want to buy it. I’ve sold everything I own, my house, my possessions, my wife and children, just to buy it off you?

To answer this we have to understand what the treasure is, and what the field is, and why the man had to own the field to own the treasure.

So what is the treasure and what is the field?

The treasure is the relationship with God, the reign of God, the gifts of the Spirit, love, peace, joy etc. Becoming children of God, having a relationship with God is a treasure beyond price. We were given this treasure, this relationship with God at our Baptism. What have we done with it? Have we reburied it, rejoiced and bought the field? Or have we just reburied it and forgotten it, or perhaps reburied the treasure and left it there, reckoning we know where it is should we ever need it. But we are not supposed to leave it there, we are supposed to rejoice at having found it, go off and sell everything we have and buy the field.

Why do we have to sell everything we have and buy the field? And what is the field?

The field is the particular community where God wants us to receive his treasure. We can’t properly have the treasure without the community. It’s where that relationship with God is expressed and lived out. It means that we have to live in relationship with others as well as with God, and with particular others not just others in general. God has put his treasure for us in a particular community, or perhaps several communities; our family, our parish, a residential Christian community. Growing in holiness, and in our relationship with God has to be done with others.

But surely God gives us a relationship with him for free, we don’t have to earn it? Well yes, and no. This parable tells us that God want us to buy into the field in order to own the treasure. This is not to do just with money though. We have to give up ourselves, our time, our energies, our skills, and yes, perhaps our money too. We have to make sacrifices. We want the kingdom but are we willing to pay the going price? St. Paul tells us we are children of God, and heirs to the kingdom. But sometimes we don’t want any pain involved in claiming our inheritance.

We don’t need to make ourselves destitute, but we do need to think about what we actually need, and give away the rest to people who do need it. And that applies not only to possessions and money but to our time and our gifts.

And it’s not always easy. The main problem of living in a community, whether it’s a residential community, or a parish community, or our families, is the other people. This field that is our community isn’t always green lush grass, it can be a muddy place, with hidden rocks, with pot holes to trip us up. But it is where we are called to live out our life and our relationship with God.

Too often we can go looking elsewhere. It’s too easy to be constantly looking for a different church, a different group of people, something that suits us better. As someone put it, we wander from field to field like bored goats looking for greener grass.

That is not to say that things don’t change for us. Circumstances change, God calls us to new work, to a new community. But we have to think about where God has buried the treasure for us, the field he wants us to make sacrifices to own; the field he wants us to live in. Jesus said, “For wherever your treasure is, there will your heart be too.” (Mt 6:21). Perhaps we can put it another way. If our heart is not there, then the treasure will not be there either.

We are supposed to be living in the kingdom of heaven now, we are supposed to become the treasure hidden in the field, a new reality in the world and to rejoice in it, so that people can say “they have found the treasure” and then they will go and sell everything they have and join us, so that they too can be sure to have the treasure

Amen, and good word,
The grass is always greener where it is watered most :)

Reactions: Helen

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
As I previously said after you posted your first video on this forum, your understanding of the parables of Jesus is limited to the "literal" views that you hold.

The message of this parable is that if a person finds a treasure that is more valuable than the treasure he already has, then in order to obtain the more valuable treasure in the field, then he has to be prepared to give up all that he already owns in order to obtain something that is more valuable.

If the treasure that he finds in the field is more valuable than the treasure that he already owns, then the person has not lost any value but has gained something of more value. Therefore the transaction of the person has not cost him as you have suggested, but rather the person has gained something of more value after he was prepared to let go of what he had previously possessed.

When a Doctor is advising his patient of what he must be prepared to do in order to have a life saving medical procedure, he does not talk abut the cost of the procedure, but rather he talks about the benefits, i.e. "life," he will receive once he has had the procedure.

God's promise to Israel, is that when He gathers them to Himself, that He will plant them in the soil/field of Israel, i.e. Christ/Jesus, and will then proceed to teach them about the "Mountain of Israel," i.e. the "religion," for want of a better description, of God/Christ/Jesus.

Jesus in this parable was telling the Israelite people that some day in the future, they will come to realise that the treasure they though was of great value, i.e. idolatrous worship, was not as valuable as the treasure that was to be found in the field/soil of Israel's/Christ's and that they would have to decide what they are prepared to do so that they can then obtain this more valuable treasure in compliance with God's instructions, to obtain the greatest treasure of them all.

From my past experience, you will respond with, "That is not what I see in this parable," and will blow me off as if my understanding is not in line with God's words to Israel. The Israelites have to make this discovery first, before they can become a Blessing to all of the nations of the Earth in our near future, and when they come to this realisation, God will sprinkle them with water and cleanse them so that they can become a Kingdom of Priests, a Holy People and God's Possession among the nations. But to come to this view, I had to become familiar with God's prophetic word concerning the Nation of Israel. It is there if one is prepared to study God's word as a whole, and not separate it out into piecemeal pieces like you are doing, in determining your meaning just in this small fragment of God's word.

Shalom

Last edited:

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
MATTHEW 13: BOTH PARABLES ARE CONNECTED
44 Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto treasure hid in a field; the which when a man hath found, he hideth, and for joy thereof goeth and selleth all that he hath, and buyeth that field. 45 Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto a merchant man, seeking goodly pearls:46 Who, when he had found one pearl of great price, went and sold all that he had, and bought it.

1. THE KINGDOM OF HEAVEN = the Church (as well as redeemed and restored Israel) = the treasure or the one pearl of great price.

2. THE MAN OR THE MERCHANT MAN = Christ

3. SOLD ALL THAT HE HAD = the finished work of Christ, in which Christ paid the full price for our redemption

4. BOUGHT IT = the Church is the purchased possession of Christ, purchased with His own blood:
Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood. (Acts 20:28)

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If the treasure that he finds in the field is more valuable than the treasure that he already owns, then the person has not lost any value but has gained something of more value.
I just checked my script. No where in the video do I say that something was lost. Are you sure you watched the video?

I actually welcome comments. I wish more of them were helpful.

Shalom.

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
44 Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto treasure hid in a field; the which when a man hath found, he hideth, and for joy thereof goeth and selleth all that he hath, and buyeth that field. 45 Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto a merchant man, seeking goodly pearls:46 Who, when he had found one pearl of great price, went and sold all that he had, and bought it.

1. THE KINGDOM OF HEAVEN = the Church (as well as redeemed and restored Israel) = the treasure or the one pearl of great price.

3. SOLD ALL THAT HE HAD = the finished work of Christ, in which Christ paid the full price for our redemption

4. BOUGHT IT = the Church is the purchased possession of Christ, purchased with His own blood:
Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood. (Acts 20:28)
Next week I am publishing "Parable of the Pearl."

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The field is both the scriptures and our heart (Jeremiah 31:33). The treasure is Christ. Those who study the scriptures find Him there. They subsequently bury Him (His words) in their heart (field) and then go on to buy their heart back from the Devil who has possession of it on account of our sins and love for the things of the world. This is accomplished by giving up (selling as it were) all earthly attachments and fleshly passions.

Hello icxn,
Agreed, it is the only way to truly follow Him...giving it all up. That can be painful, very painful depending on how long one has lived in the ways of the world, but then...His grace always fills the empty places with Himself. The things that once were "fleshly passions" simply fade away the more faith and trust we place in Him.
There are still some things, not sin, but still not quite 'beneficial', that personally, still remain.

Reactions: CadyandZoe

icxn

Oct 6, 2018
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are still some things, not sin, but still not quite 'beneficial', that personally, still remain.
Hello Nancy :)

I agree with everything you said, just wanted to add that those 'irrelevant' things are sometimes beneficial too, as they keep us grounded in humility, like Saint Paul's thorn in the flesh.

Reactions: Nancy

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
As I previously said after you posted your first video on this forum, your understanding of the parables of Jesus is limited to the "literal" views that you hold.

The message of this parable is that if a person finds a treasure that is more valuable than the treasure he already has, then in order to obtain the more valuable treasure in the field, then he has to be prepared to give up all that he already owns in order to obtain something that is more valuable.

If the treasure that he finds in the field is more valuable than the treasure that he already owns, then the person has not lost any value but has gained something of more value. Therefore the transaction of the person has not cost him as you have suggested, but rather the person has gained something of more value after he was prepared to let go of what he had previously possessed.

When a Doctor is advising his patient of what he must be prepared to do in order to have a life saving medical procedure, he does not talk abut the cost of the procedure, but rather he talks about the benefits, i.e. "life," he will receive once he has had the procedure.

God's promise to Israel, is that when He gathers them to Himself, that He will plant them in the soil/field of Israel, i.e. Christ/Jesus, and will then proceed to teach them about the "Mountain of Israel," i.e. the "religion," for want of a better description, of God/Christ/Jesus.

Jesus in this parable was telling the Israelite people that some day in the future, they will come to realise that the treasure they though was of great value, i.e. idolatrous worship, was not as valuable as the treasure that was to be found in the field/soil of Israel's/Christ's and that they would have to decide what they are prepared to do so that they can then obtain this more valuable treasure in compliance with God's instructions, to obtain the greatest treasure of them all.

From my past experience, you will respond with, "That is not what I see in this parable," and will blow me off as if my understanding is not in line with God's words to Israel. The Israelites have to make this discovery first, before they can become a Blessing to all of the nations of the Earth in our near future, and when they come to this realisation, God will sprinkle them with water and cleanse them so that they can become a Kingdom of Priests, a Holy People and God's Possession among the nations. But to come to this view, I had to become familiar with God's prophetic word concerning the Nation of Israel. It is there if one is prepared to study God's word as a whole, and not separate it out into piecemeal pieces like you are doing, in determining your meaning just in this small fragment of God's word.

Shalom
i dunno, you start by dissing "literal" and then finish with Israel, Inc, the country?
and "in the near future" too?

Reactions: Jay Ross

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I just checked my script. No where in the video do I say that something was lost. Are you sure you watched the video?

I actually welcome comments. I wish more of them were helpful.

Shalom.

Oh well, if you cannot understand what I had written about the buyer of the field not losing any value but that he has gained something of more value than he had before he gained possession of the field. Then so be it. This parable was not about "treasure" as you described in your account of the parable from a literal reading of this one verse.

Your account is a universal understanding of Jesus' teaching and as such you have ignored the audience that Jesus was speaking to when He told this parable. Jesus' audience was limited to the nation of Israel and what is true for that audience is also true for the people who read the account in our English Paraphrased scriptures today which we can read.

The treasure that the man found in the field was "true religion" and not the "idolatrous religion" that he had grown into.

With so much idolatrous worship of the "land" and the temple within Israel, Christ's message is still hidden from many of the people who consider and read the scriptures.

Shalom

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh well, if you cannot understand what I had written about the buyer of the field not losing any value but that he has gained something of more value than he had before he gained possession of the field. Then so be it. This parable was not about "treasure" as you described in your account of the parable from a literal reading of this one verse.

Your account is a universal understanding of Jesus' teaching and as such you have ignored the audience that Jesus was speaking to when He told this parable. Jesus' audience was limited to the nation of Israel and what is true for that audience is also true for the people who read the account in our English Paraphrased scriptures today which we can read.

The treasure that the man found in the field was "true religion" and not the "idolatrous religion" that he had grown into.

With so much idolatrous worship of the "land" and the temple within Israel, Christ's message is still hidden from many of the people who consider and read the scriptures.

Shalom
I understood what you wrote. I don't agree with it. And I suspect you didn't actually view the video because your critique of it is factually incorrect. No where in the video did I say anything about loss or losing something. No where in the video did I say anything about the buyer losing value. Although the story is about hidden treasure, I never said that treasure was the point of the story.

Your critique and comments are empty words.

The following is a direct quote from the script.

The Lord invites the reader/listener to judge the relative value of a field as compared to a treasure. The field is valuable all by itself. The treasure is more valuable. And in the estimation of the man, the treasure and the field together are more valuable than what he currently owns. Judging that the hidden treasure is more valuable, precious, and important than what he currently owns, he sells all that he has and buys the field. In our language we would call this “trading up.”​

Really Jay. Are you sure you watched the video? If you had watched the video you would have heard me say the following also.

In Mark's gospel Jesus gives us the key to unlock the meaning of the parables. He hints that once we understand the parable of the sower, we are in a good position to understand the other parables. In a previous video, “Parable of the Mustard Seed” I argued that the parables of Jesus teach us something significant about the gospel: either the gospel message itself or the dissemination of the message.​

Jesus tells his disciples that if they understand the parable of the sower, they will understand the other parables. Why? Because the parables are concerned with the gospel message. The Parable of the Sower illustrates what happens when various people hear the word of God. The Parable of the Tares illustrates what happens to those whom Jesus sends to preach the gospel. The Parable of the Mustard Seed illustrates the fact that Jesus' teaching grows from one single idea. The Parable of the Leaven illustrates the idea that God hid the gospel of the suffering messiah within the Hebrew scriptures. The parable of the hidden treasure, illustrates the idea that once the core gospel is discovered within the Hebrew scriptures, one will "trade up" to gain it. The Parable of the Pearl is critical of the Pharisaical mindset, which treats religious knowledge as a business. Those who find the pearl of great value give up the business of trading in pearls to finally become a pearl owner.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I understood what you wrote. I don't agree with it. And I suspect you didn't actually view the video because your critique of it is factually incorrect. No where in the video did I say anything about loss or losing something. No where in the video did I say anything about the buyer losing value. Although the story is about hidden treasure, I never said that treasure was the point of the story.

Your critique and comments are empty words.

The following is a direct quote from the script.

The Lord invites the reader/listener to judge the relative value of a field as compared to a treasure. The field is valuable all by itself. The treasure is more valuable. And in the estimation of the man, the treasure and the field together are more valuable than what he currently owns. Judging that the hidden treasure is more valuable, precious, and important than what he currently owns, he sells all that he has and buys the field. In our language we would call this “trading up.”​

Really Jay. Are you sure you watched the video? If you had watched the video you would have heard me say the following also.

In Mark's gospel Jesus gives us the key to unlock the meaning of the parables. He hints that once we understand the parable of the sower, we are in a good position to understand the other parables. In a previous video, “Parable of the Mustard Seed” I argued that the parables of Jesus teach us something significant about the gospel: either the gospel message itself or the dissemination of the message.​

Jesus tells his disciples that if they understand the parable of the sower, they will understand the other parables. Why? Because the parables are concerned with the gospel message. The Parable of the Sower illustrates what happens when various people hear the word of God. The Parable of the Tares illustrates what happens to those whom Jesus sends to preach the gospel. The Parable of the Mustard Seed illustrates the fact that Jesus' teaching grows from one single idea. The Parable of the Leaven illustrates the idea that God hid the gospel of the suffering messiah within the Hebrew scriptures. The parable of the hidden treasure, illustrates the idea that once the core gospel is discovered within the Hebrew scriptures, one will "trade up" to gain it. The Parable of the Pearl is critical of the Pharisaical mindset, which treats religious knowledge as a business. Those who find the pearl of great value give up the business of trading in pearls to finally become a pearl owner.

Please, I gave my understanding of the Parable and it was looking past the literal reading of the single verse that you are presenting as the "facts", as you understand them, of the verse.

The fact is that you dislike what I have written because I am pointing directly to the Gospel Message that Jesus came to give to the nation of Israel.

Store for yourself the treasure in heaven, where it will not be destroyed by "rust" or eaten by moths or be stolen by thieves.

The same message is also true for us today. Put our trust in the things of heaven, not in the things of this world.

God told Abraham to walk in the "Earth" that he would show him, i.e. God's Earth, and not in the "land" which had become the "idol" for the nation of Israel and still is at this present time.

There is more in this parable than the "gems" you believe are the keys to it. That is all that I am point out. This was my basic complaint with your first video and even when I suggested that the parable of the sower was describing the journey of the Nation of Israel from the time of the Solomon's Temple being dedicated up and until the end of the age of the ages, you said that that was not so and that you could not see what I was seeing.

But so be it. In our life's journey we are encouraged to find the "treasure" along the way/race and to store that up for ourselves in heaven.

Shalom

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why make things harder than they need be? The field is dirt -- the physical world -- and something valuable is "lost" in it. I think Jesus uses symbols consisently. "The field is the world," Jesus declared in verse 38 when he was discussing the wheat and tares. I see no reason to think it means something else in verse 44.

The world is corrupt. Yes, even the dirt has been corrupted to a certain extent. We are born into this world to help restore it to its original plan. If we do that, we will find ourselves also changed.

Thus the corrupt must be changed and made incorruptible. Do not think God is going to whip up a new spiritual body for you. You have work to do now. Success does not depend on retaining every individual atom -- rather it involves allowing the Power of God to transform a certain amount of matter into something spiritual. Jesus gave us that power -- so we'd better use it.

John 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

Do not think all the changes will occur at once. There is a dramatic moment later, yes, but the process should be occurring daily -- as the carnal dies daily, it is being replaced by the spiritual. We may like to think of the dramatic moment, but it is the end of a process.

Proverbs 25:2 It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings is to search out a matter.

And the very glory of God itself can be concealed. God is everywhere. As Solomon said, God said he would dwell in extreme darkness; but then we see that the glory of God filled the Temple. So too can the darkened human being be. There is something glorious hidden in the corrupted physical nature -- and later, if we do well, we will shine as stars in the firmament.

This is shown also in how God talked to Abraham saying his children would be an numerous as grains of sand and as the stars. Is there anything humbler or lowlier than a grain of sand? Is there anything more glorious in our universe than a star? Why both then? Well, if you can "wake up" that one grain of sand, it can grow and grow until it becomes the size of a star.

There is another paradox in the Bible.

1 Corinthians 15:50 Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.

Matthew 24:22 And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened.

The earthly flesh certainly cannot enter the kingdom as earthly flesh. It is worth saving however if it is changed. More of Paul's passage may be helpful.

1 Corinthians 15:40 There are also celestial bodies, and bodies terrestrial: but the glory of the celestial is one, and the glory of the terrestrial is another.
41 There is one glory of the sun, and another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars: for one star differeth from another star in glory.
42 So also is the resurrection of the dead. It is sown in corruption; it is raised in incorruption:
43 It is sown in dishonour; it is raised in glory: it is sown in weakness; it is raised in power:
44 It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body.
45 And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.
46 Howbeit that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual.

So please do not think Jesus already did everything, that all we have to do is say we believe. If we truly do believe, we have to obey what he commanded us. He gave us power to become sons of God -- it's up to us what we do. I would definitely advise against "burying" the talent he gave us in the ground and letting it there.

Matthew 25:26 His lord answered and said unto him, Thou wicked and slothful servant, thou knewest that I reap where I sowed not, and gather where I have not strawed:
27 Thou oughtest therefore to have put my money to the exchangers, and then at my coming I should have received mine own with usury.
28 Take therefore the talent from him, and give it unto him which hath ten talents.

Jesus expects more back from us than he gave. Note it.

Why did Jesus advocate usury? Wasn't that forbidden under Jewish law? It was -- to other Jews. The kind of usury Jesus advocates in this passage is getting money from the Devil. Help rob Satan of his power on this earth. It's fine since Satan stole it in the first place. It's not really his, so it's fine to "steal" from him. Go ahead then, bind the "strong man" and rob him blind if you can.

Mark 3:27 No man can enter into a strong man's house, and spoil his goods, except he will first bind the strong man; and then he will spoil his house.

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hi all,
I'm in the middle of creating a new house plan, waiting for approval from the client to finish. During my down time, I created another video. I hope you enjoy these videos and find them useful. My intent is to follow this video with another one concerning the parable of the pearl.

The video explains the meaning of the Parable of the Treasure in the field. We learn the meaning of both the treasure and the field and why we should buy the field. Our working assumption is that the parables of Jesus explain something about the gospel message or those who preach the gospel.

Blessings.
Simply, nothing is more valuable than the Kingdom of Heaven. Sell everything that you have, disown your family & friends, cut your right hand off if it if it is an impediment (offends thee), live on the streets, suffer abuse & scorn, become a martyr, ....nothing is worth sparing, saving or salvaging for the sake of the Kingdom. Give up your earthly life for it.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Correct, Enoch, and good exegesis. The church is depicted as "hidden in a field" because until Christ's descent into the Underworld, the saints of old were still below the earth in the Paradise side of Sheol. By "leading captivity captive," He went and retrieved what He had purchased through His blood.

The same analogy is subtly referred to in the pearl. They are originally "hidden" within clams and oysters, and delivered from "captivity" by the owner.