Parable of the Ten Virgins

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I will give my interpretation first, and open the thread for comments, questions and/or competing interpretations. All are free to respond.

1 Then shall the kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten virgins, which took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom.
2 And five of them were wise, and five were foolish.
3 They that were foolish took their lamps, and took no oil with them:
4 But the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps.
5 While the bridegroom tarried, they all slumbered and slept.
6 And at midnight there was a cry made, Behold, the bridegroom cometh; go ye out to meet him.
7 Then all those virgins arose, and trimmed their lamps.
8 And the foolish said unto the wise, Give us of your oil; for our lamps are gone out.
9 But the wise answered, saying, Not so; lest there be not enough for us and you: but go ye rather to them that sell, and buy for yourselves.
10 And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came; and they that were ready went in with him to the marriage: and the door was shut.
11 Afterward came also the other virgins, saying, Lord, Lord, open to us.
12 But he answered and said, Verily I say unto you, I know you not.
13 Watch therefore, for ye know neither the day nor the hour wherein the Son of man cometh. (Matthew 25:1-13)

This follows immediately on the heals of Jesus telling the disciples that they would need to properly feed His household until the Lord's return (Matthew 24:44-51). As such, it appears to be a teaching on the dangers of what we would today call spiritual "burn out." The wickedness of the end-times will create a demand on Christian ministry that is beyond any human capacity to keep up with, so walking in the empowerment of God will be more necessary than ever in history. Unfortunately, there will be those who are foolish enough to allow the burdens of ministry and the never-ending demands of it to cause them to become distant from God, no longer spending time with Him in prayer especially because ministry needs are incessant. As a result, they will reach a place of spiritual burn out, and in a last ditch effort they will appeal to those who are still walking close to the Holy Spirit. But ministers who are not burned out do not have the power to magically transfer their spiritual strength to those who are, and when those who have allowed themselves to reach a place of spiritual burn out attempt to get back to a place of empowerment, the incredible darkness of the times will make this nearly impossible.

A quick synopsis:
- The ten virgins = Church leadership in the end times, who must light the way spiritually for Christ's bride to meet her Bridegroom at the "midnight hour," the darkest time in human history, just before the Lord's return.
- The Bridegroom = Christ Jesus, the Church being the bride.
- The virgin's lamps = Their understanding of the word of God, which scripture says is a "lamp unto our feet."
- The oil = The anointing of the Holy Spirit, which gives light to God's word. This is referenced to passages especially like 1 Corinthians 14:26-31, where the spiritual gifts of tongues, interpretation of tongues and prophecy lead congregations to revelation from God's word.
- "They all slumbered and slept" = I believe this prophesies the period from the end of the early church era to the coming time of the second outpouring. Church leadership has largely been in a deep sleep but will eventually awaken when "the call goes out" and it becomes apparent that the Lord's return is now finally at hand (as it becomes obvious that end-time prophecy is being fulfilled before their eyes, and the fulfillment of all things is approaching).
- Trimming their lamps = People trimmed a lamp to get the most light out of the wick that they could. So too, Christian leaders will suddenly be seeking to get the most light they can out of the prophetic word of God.
- The foolish virgins say, "Give us some of your oil, for our lamps are going out." = Referred to in the intro; spiritual "burn out" will be taking place among the foolish, because they did not maintain a closeness to the Holy Spirit, who gives light to God's word so as to show Christ's bride the way in the darkness. The wise will still be receiving prophetic light, whereas this light will be going out amongst the foolish. This request of theirs appears to possibly be through something akin to laying on of hands, since they will say, "Give us some of your oil." This is a strange request, but they will be desperate, and know that the wise possess a power in the Spirit that they no longer do. But the reply they get will reveal the problem.
- "Not so, lest there be not enough for us and you. But go ye rather to them that sell, and buy for yourselves." Spiritual anointing and empowerment, like all things from God, can only be "purchased" through prayer, which is the key to understanding this verse. One must go to God personally for the anointing oil of the Holy Spirit, and one "purchases" it through prayer. Prayer is the currency of Heaven, and this idea of "purchasing" the things of God through prayer is repeated over and over in scripture, for instance concerning receiving the greater gifts (1 Corinthians 14:13, 1 Corinthians 14:1), the power to speak the word boldly (Ephesians 6:18-19), spiritual insight, being clothed in the Holy Spirit, and attaining a faith purified as gold in the fire (Revelation 3:18). So the wise will direct the foolish to go to God for what they need in prayer.
- "And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came, and they that were ready went in with him to the marriage, and the door was shut." = As stated, if one has not developed the habit of staying close to the Presence of God these dark and evil times, trying to do after burning out may be all but impossible. And while the foolish are off trying to get their act together spiritually when they should have been ministering light to the church, the Lord will come. Those who were walking in the Spirit and the true light of His word will be taken with Him to the Marriage Supper of the Lamb, while those who were not ready will be left behind, and the door will now shut.
- "Afterward came also the other virgins, saying, Lord, Lord, open to us. But he answered and said, Verily I say unto you, I know you not." = The words "I know you not" are key here. Because their light went out, the Lord can no longer "recognize" them or what they teach (without true spiritual light, a person's teachings always trail off into error). They appear as strangers to Him now, so He says to them at the door, "I know you not."
- "Watch therefore, for ye know neither the day nor the hour wherein the Son of man cometh" = an exhortation to walk in the light the Holy Spirit gives for as LONG as necessary, so as to light the way for the bride properly.

Last edited:

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
As such, it appears to be a teaching on the dangers of what we would today call spiritual "burn out."
Sorry, but this interpretation is completely inconsistent with the context as well as the actual parable of the Ten Virgins.

Ten Virgins = the sum total of Christendom (all who call themselves Christians).

Five Wise Virgins = those who truly believed and received the Holy Spirit (oil being a metaphor for the Spirit)

Five Foolish Virgins = those who thought they were Christians but did not have the indwelling Holy Spirit. They may have been good church members, even baptized and tithing, but without the Spirit.

The Bridegroom = Christ Himself

Being Shut Out = Not being allowed into the Kingdom of God.

Jesus said that one must be born again in order to (1) enter and (2) see the Kingdom of God. Professing Christians who have not been born again are shut out of that Kingdom.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorry, but this interpretation is completely inconsistent with the context as well as the actual parable of the Ten Virgins.

Ten Virgins = the sum total of Christendom (all who call themselves Christians).

Five Wise Virgins = those who truly believed and received the Holy Spirit (oil being a metaphor for the Spirit)

Five Foolish Virgins = those who thought they were Christians but did not have the indwelling Holy Spirit. They may have been good church members, even baptized and tithing, but without the Spirit.

The Bridegroom = Christ Himself

Being Shut Out = Not being allowed into the Kingdom of God.

Jesus said that one must be born again in order to (1) enter and (2) see the Kingdom of God. Professing Christians who have not been born again are shut out of that Kingdom.

Thanks for the response.
This leaves out some things. Fill in the rest of the blanks for me. What is referred to by verses 8, 9, 10 and 11 especially?

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I will give my interpretation first, and open the thread for comments, questions and/or competing interpretations. All are free to respond.

I have to say first, that is just too much centered around a Pre-trib Rapture belief system of man. There is not even a hint of reference to a pre-trib rapture in that parable by our Lord Jesus.

Our Lord Jesus is... the "bridegroom" of the parable, not the Church.

The timing is the eleventh hour, waiting for the midnight hour when the Bridegroom will come. That represents the "one hour" in the parable of the laborers of the field. It is the "one hour" that the ten kings of Rev.17 receive power with the beast. It means the time of "great tribulation" our Lord Jesus foretold in Matthew 24 and Mark 13, which is for the very end of this world.

There's five wise virgins, and five foolish virgins. Apostle Paul used the idea of presenting us to Christ as "a chaste virgin" in 2 Corinthians 11, teaching from Isaiah 54. Paul shows this contrast between the faithful and the deceived again in 1 Thessalonians 5:3 about those who sleep (spiritually) in the night, those who are drunken (spiritually) in the night that 'travail with child'. So this Scripture idea for the end involves the spiritual metaphor of remaining either a chaste spiritual virgin waiting for Jesus, or instead falling away to worship another in His place and instead being found a spiritual harlot when He shows up. (The virgin vs. harlot metaphor was used by our Heavenly Father first back in the Old Testament Books.)

All ten virgins fall asleep waiting on The Bridegroom (Jesus) to come at midnight. This symbolizes the dangers of deception for the last days, particularly during the very end time of "great tribulation", i.e., the "one hour", the last hour symbolically of this present world, the eleventh hour of the workers in the field that got paid the same as those who worked all day (Matthew 20).

The Oil represents The Holy Spirit. The EXTRA vessel of the Oil represents being 'sealed' by The Holy Spirit away from the "strong delusion" set for the very end of this world. It means understanding the "times and the seasons" Apostle Paul mentioned to those in 1 Thessalonians 5. It means 'watching' those times and seasons per Jesus' commandment all the way to the end of this world, to immediately after the tribulation when Jesus will return and gather His Church (Matthew 24:29-31 & Mark 13:24-27).

They all wake up when the cry is made, trim their lamps, but the five foolish virgin's lamps have run out of Oil. The five wise virgins have their SPARE VESSELS of The Oil. The five foolish virgins beg of The Oil from the five wise ones. They are instead told to go buy from those that 'sell'. That idea of those who sell is about those like the 'hireling' of John 10. A hireling over a Church does it as a business and not for love of the sheep. There are many, many Christian Churches today that operate more like a business and really don't teach Bible to any real depth, but instead follow doctrines of men formulated in some far away city with printed quarterly guides and lessons.

You cannot 'buy' The Oil (Holy Spirit). We cannot... buy the 'sealing' for the end by The Holy Spirit. It is about 'understanding' by The Holy Spirit, not about speaking in some unknown tongue (tongue of Pentecost went out as known languages), not about jumping up and down wrangling on the floor and making wild animal noises. Those things instead are 'confusion', and not signs of The Holy Spirit.

While the five foolish virgins go out to the market to buy, The Bridegroom comes, the five wise go in with Him, and the door is shut. The five foolish virgins return, without extra Oil, and knock for The Bridegroom to open to them. He says, "Verily I say unto you, I know you not." (Matt.25:12).

Jesus next says this...

Matt 25:13
13 Watch therefore, for ye know neither the day nor the hour wherein the Son of man cometh.

KJV

How you gonna' know what to 'watch' for, if you're just waiting around for our Lord Jesus to rapture you out? How are you going to be 'sealed' by The Holy Spirit to know the first supernatural messiah that's coming will not... be our Lord Jesus Christ??? and make no mistake, the Antichrist playing God in Jerusalem per Paul in 2 Thess.2 MUST happen first, prior to Christ's coming and our gathering to Him.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
As you know @Hidden In Him I am no longer a deep and involved discussion person . Those days are behind me, I no longer have the brain cell for it.
I mostly post 'off the cuff' and out of the heart person now. But I will be happily reading along on this thread and adding my two cents here and there :)

We obviously differ in our beliefs and studies . And that fine too. Makes things interesting.
For one...I do not agree that- "prayer is the currency of heaven"...I believe Faith is. It doesn't matter how much or how long a person prays if it is not in and through faith.

I do not see Matt 25 as condemning as you do...but you know that already.
It for sure is a warning , and defiantly a wake up call.
At all time we must be filled with the Spirit and our lights burning.

They all slumbered and slept....and it seems that the faith in the promise of His coming had run out in that slumbering time, for half of them.
But they were told to "go and buy"...
If it were all pointless , they would not have been told this...they would not be teased by being told to "go and buy."

I have never found anywhere in the bible where foolishness is called sin!!
"All the virgins arose"- the foolish did not turn away at the sound of "he is coming" they were expectant, but foolish, unprepared.

It reads to me that they went to the Holy Spirit and refilled the faith which had wavered...but too late, the door was shut. No wedding day festivities for them. ( of note, even the five wise were not 'the Bride' ..or maybe they are ...all types break down somewhere ...there is only One perfect type)

And as you know that I have already said,...I believe that the five foolish were shut out of Christ's 1000 reign of peace on the earth.

You also know that one of my favourite saying is- "This is not a beach to die upon" and it's not. It is up to each of us to be alert , awake, and prepared for The Day Of The Lord....

But it's always interesting to know what other believe and why. :)

....H

Reactions: Invisibilis

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
..as for buying..

I believe we can always "buy"...until the Angel of The Lord is told to cry out "Time no longer"...time has not been called yet.

Isa 55
" Ho, every one that thirsteth, come ye to the waters, and he that hath no money; come ye, buy, and eat; yea, come, buy wine and milk without money and without price.."

Wine is a type of the Spirit we know, and milk is a type of the word...
We can indeed buy without money or price...but we must have the right currency ....Faith in Himself.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
..as for buying..

I believe we can always "buy"...until the Angel of The Lord is told to cry out "Time no longer"...time has not been called yet.

Isa 55
" Ho, every one that thirsteth, come ye to the waters, and he that hath no money; come ye, buy, and eat; yea, come, buy wine and milk without money and without price.."

We can indeed buy without money or price...but we must have the right currency ....Faith in Himself.

I don't see the idea of 'buying' in that at all for the five 'wise' virgins who go in with The Bridegroom.

Adding to that parable to make the idea of buying through prayer a factor really is just a man-made analogy, not really part of the parable.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have to say first, that is just too much centered around a Pre-trib Rapture belief system of man. There is not even a hint of reference to a pre-trib rapture in that parable by our Lord Jesus.

Thanks for the response.
About this, I'm not pre-trib. I'm post-trip pre-wrath.
Our Lord Jesus is... the "bridegroom" of the parable, not the Church.

OOPS! I may have miswrote something. Thanks for the heads up : )
The timing is the eleventh hour, waiting for the midnight hour when the Bridegroom will come. That represents the "one hour" in the parable of the laborers of the field. It is the "one hour" that the ten kings of Rev.17 receive power with the beast. It means the time of "great tribulation" our Lord Jesus foretold in Matthew 24 and Mark 13, which is for the very end of this world.

Interesting.
There's five wise virgins, and five foolish virgins. Apostle Paul used the idea of presenting us to Christ as "a chaste virgin" in 2 Corinthians 11, teaching from Isaiah 54. Paul shows this contrast between the faithful and the deceived again in 1 Thessalonians 5:3 about those who sleep (spiritually) in the night, those who are drunken (spiritually) in the night that 'travail with child'. So this Scripture idea for the end involves the spiritual metaphor of remaining either a chaste spiritual virgin waiting for Jesus, or instead falling away to worship another in His place and instead being found a spiritual harlot when He shows up.

Ummm... reading into the parable a little too much I would say.
The Oil represents The Holy Spirit. The EXTRA vessel of the Oil represents being 'sealed' by The Holy Spirit away from the "strong delusion" set for the very end of this world. It means understanding the "times and the seasons" Apostle Paul mentioned to those in 1 Thessalonians 5. It means 'watching' those times and seasons per Jesus' commandment all the way to the end of this world, to immediately after the tribulation when Jesus will return and gather His Church (Matthew 24:29-31 & Mark 13:24-27)

This is a theoretical interpretation, but you would need to back it up with specific scriptural references somehow tying the extra oil to the seal of the Holy Spirit, and others demonstrating that there are two different administrations of the Holy Spirit; one as an outpouring, the other as a seal.
They all wake up when the cry is made, trim their lamps, but the five foolish virgin's lamps have run out of Oil. The five wise virgins have their SPARE VESSELS of The Oil. The five foolish virgins beg of The Oil from the five wise ones. They are instead told to go buy from those that 'sell'. That idea of those who sell is about those like the 'hireling' of John 10. A hireling over a Church does it as a business and not for love of the sheep. There are many, many Christian Churches today that operate more like a business and really don't teach Bible to any real depth, but instead follow doctrines of men formulated in some far away city with printed quarterly guides and lessons.

You cannot 'buy' The Oil (Holy Spirit). We cannot... buy the 'sealing' for the end by The Holy Spirit.

I understand what you are saying about the hirelings. But now, if they could not "buy" what the oil represented, then why does Jesus have the wise virgins telling them to do exactly that?

Reactions: Helen

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For one...I do not agree that- "prayer is the currency of heaven"...I believe Faith is. It doesn't matter how much or how long a person prays if it is not in and through faith.

This I certainly agree with (James 1:5-8). :)
At all time we must be filled with the Spirit and our lights burning.

Agree with this also.
They all slumbered and slept....and it seems that the faith in the promise of His coming had run out in that slumbering time, for half of them.

Umm... meh. Seems to me they are all awakened and believe the wake up call, but not all have the oil to keep their lights shining is all.
But they were told to "go and buy"...
If it were all pointless , they would not have been told this...they would not be teased by being told to "go and buy."

Absolutely. That was my point to Davy. Since it was coming from the wise, there had to be wisdom in it.
I have never found anywhere in the bible where foolishness is called sin!!

Well, yes. But foolishness would be a very good way to describe it if you had servants of God not taking the precaution of remaining very close to the Lord during a time when they needed to the most. Most would agree that the Spirit of God is where we receive our empowerment, and if we try to go on without it not realizing it is our strength, we make the most foolish of mistakes, one that could cost us very dearly. I think that's the whole point of the parable actually. Enoch said something about it not being about leaders but about the church, but He just got through warning them a few sentences before hand that they would need to properly take care of the household of God, and those who failed to do so but turned to drinking and carousing and abuse His people would be cut asunder and appointed their portion with the hypocrites, where there would be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

But anyway, "not a beach to die on" is a good motto. Maybe I'll steal it from you after you're gone. :)

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
..as for buying..

Isa 55

I say praying in faith, LoL, but this verse is excellent back up to either position : )

Reactions: Nancy and Helen

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No matter how we see the five wise vs the five foolish there is one thing we can know for sure..They ALL slumbered and slept! Interesting isn't it?

Yes. I think it was prophesying the spiritual slumber the church slipped into after about a century or so, and still really hasn't awoken from yet IMO, at least compared to the zeal the apostles and many of the NT saints walked in.

Reactions: Nancy

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I don't see the idea of 'buying' in that at all for the five 'wise' virgins who go in with The Bridegroom.

Adding to that parable to make the idea of buying through prayer a factor really is just a man-made analogy, not really part of the parable.

Says you.. :)
just because you just read the words..does not mean that God has not hidden his wisdom within his parables...even Jesus proved that do not mean what the average man thinks they mean...if so they would need interpretation.

I don't get what you are saying here about buying! hmm[1].gif

The five wise didn't need to add to their 'oil'...they had enough...they didn't go to buy.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
- The ten virgins = Church leadership in the end times, who must light the way spiritually for Christ's bride to meet her Bridegroom at the "midnight hour," the darkest time in human history, just before the Lord's return.

Question . . . why do you see these as church leaders in the end times?

Why would we not see these as Jews awaiting their Messiah?

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Thanks for the response.
This leaves out some things. Fill in the rest of the blanks for me. What is referred to by verses 8, 9, 10 and 11 especially?

"OUR LAMPS ARE GONE OUT" = WE DO NOT HAVE THE SPIRIT
8 And the foolish said unto the wise, Give us of your oil; for our lamps are gone out.

"BUY FOR YOURSELVES"* = REPENT AND BELIEVE ON THE LORD JESUS CHRIST
9 But the wise answered, saying, Not so; lest there be not enough for us and you: but go ye rather to them that sell, and buy for yourselves.

TODAY IS THE DAY OF SALVATION -- DO NOT PROCRASTINATE
10 And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came; and they that were ready went in with him to the marriage: and the door was shut.

"OPEN TO US" = SALVATION BY GOOD WORKS AND SACRAMENTS
11 Afterward came also the other virgins, saying, Lord, Lord, open to us.

*"Buy for yourselves" should be interpreted in the light of Isaiah 55:1,2:
1 Ho, every one that thirsteth, come ye to the waters, and he that hath no money; come ye, buy, and eat; yea, come, buy wine and milk without money and without price. [Eternal life is God's free gift]
2 Wherefore do ye spend money for that which is not bread? and your labour for that which satisfieth not? hearken diligently unto me, and eat ye that which is good, and let your soul delight itself in fatness.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Question . . . why do you see these as church leaders in the end times?

Why would we not see these as Jews awaiting their Messiah?

Well, immediately before He gives this parable, He says the following words to His disciples, with no break before beginning the parable:

44 Therefore be ye also ready: for in such an hour as ye think not the Son of man cometh.
45 Who then is a faithful and wise servant, whom his lord hath made ruler over his household, to give them meat in due season?
46 Blessed is that servant, whom his lord when he cometh shall find so doing.
47 Verily I say unto you, That he shall make him ruler over all his goods.
48 But and if that evil servant shall say in his heart, My lord delayeth his coming;
49 And shall begin to smite his fellowservants, and to eat and drink with the drunken;
50 The lord of that servant shall come in a day when he looketh not for him, and in an hour that he is not aware of,
51 And shall cut him asunder, and appoint him his portion with the hypocrites: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

He then ends the parable with the same words again, to the disciples specifically in the position of being leaders over his church:

13 Watch [ye] therefore, for ye know neither the day nor the hour wherein the Son of man cometh.

I think he is defining "his household" in the parable as the church. His disciples were not made rulers over all of Israel, nor simply over the Jewish church alone.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
..as for buying..

Isa 55

The Jews lamp oil was from olive trees,

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Luke 19:44-45 KJV
[44] And shall lay thee even with the ground, and thy children within thee; and they shall not leave in thee one stone upon another; because thou knewest not the time of thy visitation. [45] And he went into the temple, and began to cast out them that sold therein, and them that bought;

Tecarta Bible

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
"For our lamps are gone out" suggests they had oil initially, yes?
Technically, ὅτι αἱ λαμπάδες ἡμῶν σβέννυνται = "for our lamps are going out."
Look for the spiritual behind the material. Neither grammar nor language is critical since a parable is just that -- a parable, an illustration of spiritual verities. Interpret that in view of the many who say "I believe in Jesus, but I cannot be sure if I will be in Heaven or at the Rapture". There are millions of *Christians* with no assurance of salvation. Their lamps were going out or gone out (it matters not) because there was no inward reality and total assurance of salvation.