Paradoxical Truth

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Much of what goes on in a Christian forum is not unlike what goes on in the church. One scripture is pit against another as if God was against himself, where seemingly contradictory scriptures become doctrine that divides. Is this not just like children?

Indeed, it is.

So, we need not be surprised nor dismayed, but rather to understand just how normal it is. And, yes, to those looking on - we still love each other. In spite of our quarreling, even unto hatred and death, we are family. Is your's any different? No, I should think not. Therefore, if we are condemned by any, we are all condemned together even with our accusers.

However, these things - this paradox of would-be truth, though they are not easily disarmed, need not be a mystery. If one child is told to stay and another is told to go, there is no contradiction. If the account is then written, neither is there a contradiction in what is written. Therefore, do not be surprised when the scriptures do the same. But be glad that you have been given the whole account.

Even this very morning my own pastor fueled the fires of contradiction and division while preaching on 2 Corinthians, adding that surely "after we are saved we continue to sin." Even though Paul seemed to say just the opposite a few chapters back, that "if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new." And someone else will say, "Surely the apostle John could not be right" and another say, "It must be so", when he said, "Whoever abides in Him [Jesus] does not sin."

So, then, how do we reconcile what would seem to be irreconcilable even by God among those whom He has sent?

We do so, just as any parent understands telling one child to stay, while telling another to go. Have you not read that "To everything there is a season, A time for every purpose under heaven:
A time to be born,
And a time to die;
A time to plant,
And a time to pluck what is planted;
A time to kill,
And a time to heal;
A time to break down,
And a time to build up;
A time to weep,
And a time to laugh;
A time to mourn,
And a time to dance;
A time to cast away stones,
And a time to gather stones;
A time to embrace,
And a time to refrain from embracing;
A time to gain,
And a time to lose;
A time to keep,
And a time to throw away;
A time to tear,
And a time to sew;
A time to keep silence,
And a time to speak;
A time to love,
And a time to hate;
A time of war,
And a time of peace
?"

Does this not reconcile all things (under heaven)? Indeed, it does.

Therefore, if we see contradiction, it is because we do not see all. In such a place, who should believe one who quarrels like a child? Believe me - no one does.

Nonetheless, all things can be reconciled. But only by the Holy Spirit whom leads us unto all truth. This is the promise of Christ.

Last edited:

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Much of what goes on in a Christian forum is not unlike what goes on in the church. One scripture is pit against another as if God was against himself, where seemingly contradictory scriptures become doctrine that divides. Is this not just like children?

So, then, how do we reconcile what would seem to be irreconcilable even by God among those whom He has sent?

We do so, just as any parent understands telling one child to stay, while telling another to go. Have you not read that "To everything there is a season, A time for every purpose under heaven:
A time to be born,
And a time to die;
A time to plant,
A time to kill,
And a time to heal;
A time to break down,
And a time to build up;
A time to weep,
And a time to laugh;
A time to mourn,
And a time to dance;
A time to embrace,
A time to gain,
And a time to lose;
A time to keep,
A time to tear,
And a time to sew;
A time to keep silence,
And a time to speak;
A time to love,
And a time to hate;
A time of war,
And a time of peace
?"

Therefore, if we see contradiction, it is because we do not see all. In such a place, who should believe one who quarrels like a child? Believe me - no one does.

Nonetheless, all things can be reconciled. But only by the Holy Spirit whom leads us unto all truth. This is the promise of Christ.

Amen!

People have the problem of deciding that they and not the other guy who also claims it are the ones being led by the Holy Spirit, whereas the other guy is deluded.

The "times" in Ecclesiastes are God's times for you and for me and for the other guy. Without being led by the Holy Spirit we could never know which time is for me and which time is not.

Reactions: ScottA

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amen!

People have the problem of deciding that they and not the other guy who also claims it are the ones being led by the Holy Spirit, whereas the other guy is deluded.

The "times" in Ecclesiastes are God's times for you and for me and for the other guy. Without being led by the Holy Spirit we could never know which time is for me and which time is not.
...And there is a reason for these different times and our not jiving with one another, that is really quite simple: This is how God reveals all without anyone or any generation having a boastful advantage...just as He has held Israel in a type of blindness while we are all allowed the time to come to know Him. So just. So fair. So awesome!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
...And there is a reason for these different times and our not jiving with one another, that is really quite simple: This is how God reveals all without anyone or any generation having a boastful advantage...just as He has held Israel in a type of blindness while we are all allowed the time to come to know Him. So just. So fair. So awesome!
God who never changes is most certainly fair, but many people want to have an unfair advantage. The ask it [the unfair advantage] of God or even say that He has already given it to them through His Son. I would say that that is not so.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Indeed, it is.

So, we need not be surprised nor dismayed, but rather to understand just how normal it is. And, yes, to those looking on - we still love each other. In spite of our quarreling, even unto hatred and death, we are family. Is your's any different? No, I should think not. Therefore, if we are condemned by any, we are all condemned together even with our accusers.

However, these things - this paradox of would-be truth, though they are not easily disarmed, need not be a mystery. If one child is told to stay and another is told to go, there is no contradiction. If the account is then written, neither is there a contradiction in what is written. Therefore, do not be surprised when the scriptures do the same. But be glad that you have been given the whole account.

Even this very morning my own pastor fueled the fires of contradiction and division while preaching on 2 Corinthians, adding that surely "after we are saved we continue to sin." Even though Paul seemed to say just the opposite a few chapters back, that "if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new." And someone else will say, "Surely the apostle John could not be right" and another say, "It must be so", when he said, "Whoever abides in Him [Jesus] does not sin."

A time to be born,
And a time to die;
A time to plant,
A time to kill,
And a time to heal;
A time to break down,
And a time to build up;
A time to weep,
And a time to laugh;
A time to mourn,
And a time to dance;
A time to embrace,
A time to gain,
And a time to lose;
A time to keep,
A time to tear,
And a time to sew;
A time to keep silence,
And a time to speak;
A time to love,
And a time to hate;
A time of war,
And a time of peace
?"

Absolutely agree. On of the contributing problems is that we have divided up the Bible into verses. I am glad we did, but it makes it easier to misunderstand the whole context. Of the thought.

Reactions: ScottA and Pisteuo

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Absolutely agree. On of the contributing problems is that we have divided up the Bible into verses. I am glad we did, but it makes it easier to misunderstand the whole context. Of the thought.
Indeed. I love my pastor, but he breaks context all the time just trying to track with the chapters and verses. It force one (even pastors) to focus on the object of what is written, rather than on the subject of what is written...missing the point completely. It's so annoying - it leaves one stumbling on the riddles placed there to confound the ungodly: riddles are preached, rather than God's truth.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I see nothing wrong with the scriptures, it's men and women handling them. both the apostles, Peter and Paul was SOMETIMES at odds with each other. not only personally, but spiritually revelation. 2 Peter 3:15 "And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you; As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction. Ye therefore, beloved, seeing ye know these things before, beware lest ye also, being led away with the error of the wicked, fall from your own stedfastness But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and for ever. Amen".

all things cannot be understood by all. but Iron sharpen Iron

peace in Christ.

Reactions: ScottA

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Jesus told the woman caught in adultery [John 8] to sin no more. That didn't mean that she did not have the capability to sin but rather than she had been forgiven of the sinful act by the only one who has the authority to forgive. Being forgiven is a huge deal yet we still live in the flesh on this earth and are our soul constantly battles with our flesh. Becoming more like Christ and renewing our minds is an on-going process. Can anyone truly say that they have accomplished complete control over their flesh and have never had a sinful thought or action? IDK...

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Angelina
What continues within us even after our sins have been forgiven are those ever present attractions to the flesh: lust of the eyes, lust of the flesh and pride of life [I John 2:16]. We fail as often as we do in these battles because our bad habits formed before our repentance were initially for the most part still in place. Those habits must also be eliminated and replaced with something good.

What God gave us along with [or after or before] the forgiveness of our sins, was/is the power through the Holy Ghost to fight and win battles. Now with God on our side, it is not ever necessary to lose. We do still sometimes lose because we do not ask of God or we simply quench the Spirit of God in us.

Reactions: bbyrd009

Grams

Jul 11, 2017
brown city
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, it is because we do not understand some things.....

Things that were before are not for us in these day's............

GOD has made a change for us Gentiles in this time.......