Paranoia? The Devil’s Tricks?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Rylan Moffitt

Jun 26, 2020
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I haven’t posted in a while, and I’ve been thinking about how to word this for a while too. I have anxiety, I take medicine for it, and pray for God to help me cope with it. I went on an Anxiety Message Board to ask about this a few months back as well(The answer they gave me, was, it was is a form of paranoia. So, let me get straight to the point. I have a lot of thoughts in my mind. Thoughts that I don’t think are true. So, I was wondering. Is this the Devil up to his Old Tricks? Or is it Just Paronia. I appreciate any answers.

Reactions: Mayflower

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I haven’t posted in a while, and I’ve been thinking about how to word this for a while too. I have anxiety, I take medicine for it, and pray for God to help me cope with it. I went on an Anxiety Message Board to ask about this a few months back as well(The answer they gave me, was, it was is a form of paranoia. So, let me get straight to the point. I have a lot of thoughts in my mind. Thoughts that I don’t think are true. So, I was wondering. Is this the Devil up to his Old Tricks? Or is it Just Paronia. I appreciate any answers.

Well, scripture says He has not given us a Spirit of fear, and also that we are to cast our anxieties upon the Lord, so one way or another what you need to realize is that they are not of God.

But it takes drawing ever closer to the Lord, because the Spirit He has given us is one of power, love and a sound mind. So the question becomes how do you draw closer to the Spirit of God, and allow His thoughts to flow through you and have rule over your mind.

historyb

Mar 10, 2011
in a house
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

My wife has anxiety problems and takes medicine for it but the stuff happening in the world gets her anxiety and POCD going. This is not the devil it is a mental condition

Reactions: Mayflower

Yan

Jun 15, 2020
City of David
the-land-of-hope.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Indonesia
Are you dealing with computer stuff, cell phones or working near a cellullar tower ?
Be carefull those EMF radiation could make your brain have anxiety disorder, but it could be also from evil spirit. Try to meditate and pray, seek Jesus. If your anxiety released when you draw near God then it came from the devil, if not then you've got an EMF radiation.

Causes of anxiety :
- What are electromagnetic fields?
- Existential Despair: A Deeper Cause of Human Anxiety

Reactions: Rylan Moffitt

Scoot

May 14, 2020
Victoria, Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Hi Rylan,

I'm sorry to hear about your anxiety.

I'm going to first respond by saying "I don't know". I have my thoughts and convictions on the issue - but to be straight up and open - it's an area I have been dealing with for years myself. What is spiritual, what is flesh, and what is a flesh issue, but caused by something spiritually, so please take my post with a grain of salt.

What I do know is that while we live in the flesh - the weapons given to us are not for the flesh, but are mighty through God for pulling down strongholds, and imaginations, and all high things that exalt themselves against the knowledge of God, as well as bringing into captivity every thought into the obedience of Christ. (2 Cor 10:3-6).

Our daughter used to have night terrors at night, almost on a nightly basis. We didn't let her watch scary shows, and was quite protective but still she had these night terrors. One night we had a revelation that this wasn't her imagination but it was spiritual. Once we started treating it as a spiritual issue - they stopped, and has never returned since.

I have learned to deal with anxiety in a similar way. (Spiritually, not as a physical condition). I'm not going to say that I've nailed it, or speak from a place of full victory, or that I have a good grip on the spiritual side, just that what I share does come from personal experience.

I suspect we are too quick to rush to drugs and medicine these days as opposed to God. I suspect that we can have numerous illnesses / chemical imbalances, but that in many cases these are causes - not the root cause, and that the root cause is deeper, and the drugs just mask the symptoms.

(I actually believe that most of pharmacudical treatments don't cure at all - they only deal with symptoms and it's in the pharmacutical industries best approach not to heal, but rather to make people fully dependent on them, but that's another story - I just share that with you so you can see clearly that I'm a little bias in that direction, and weigh my thoughts with that).

In the end, I really don't know about these things but what I do know - which @Hidden In Him has mentioned - God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of love, power and a sound mind.

Philippians 4:8 says "Finally, my brothers, whatever things are true, whatever things are honest, whatever things are right, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report; if there is any virtue and if there is any praise, think on these things."

With this, I would encourage you if you're not doing this already - try fasting from the media, and other outlets such as news, etc - especially ones that keep focusing on the wickedness and hopelessness around us - and spend the time you normally would in the bible instead, and/or on a mixture of the bible, and various ministries. Likewise good Christian worship music, if you're not doing either of these things and see if that makes a difference.

My personal gut feeling from what you've mentioned is that it spiritual, and that a lot more when it comes to mental illness is spiritual than we now recognise. But I'm just another voice, biased from my own previous experience which may or may not be relevant to yours. Hopefully my post has something in it that rings true and you find encouraging.

2 Chr. 34:19

Jun 20, 2020
Chester ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
We all have lots of thoughts and worries. especially in the current climate. I wouldn’t necessarily say it’s the devil, paranoia or mental illness. really appreciate your honesty...it’s so rare. Will pray about your anxiety, I went through it too, what an awful time, but it did go. It will pass rylan. The Lord bless you and keep you, The Lord make His face shine upon you and give you peace.

Jun 20, 2020
Chester ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Rylan,

I'm sorry to hear about your anxiety.

I'm going to first respond by saying "I don't know". I have my thoughts and convictions on the issue - but to be straight up and open - it's an area I have been dealing with for years myself. What is spiritual, what is flesh, and what is a flesh issue, but caused by something spiritually, so please take my post with a grain of salt.

What I do know is that while we live in the flesh - the weapons given to us are not for the flesh, but are mighty through God for pulling down strongholds, and imaginations, and all high things that exalt themselves against the knowledge of God, as well as bringing into captivity every thought into the obedience of Christ. (2 Cor 10:3-6).

Our daughter used to have night terrors at night, almost on a nightly basis. We didn't let her watch scary shows, and was quite protective but still she had these night terrors. One night we had a revelation that this wasn't her imagination but it was spiritual. Once we started treating it as a spiritual issue - they stopped, and has never returned since.

I have learned to deal with anxiety in a similar way. (Spiritually, not as a physical condition). I'm not going to say that I've nailed it, or speak from a place of full victory, or that I have a good grip on the spiritual side, just that what I share does come from personal experience.

I suspect we are too quick to rush to drugs and medicine these days as opposed to God. I suspect that we can have numerous illnesses / chemical imbalances, but that in many cases these are causes - not the root cause, and that the root cause is deeper, and the drugs just mask the symptoms.

(I actually believe that most of pharmacudical treatments don't cure at all - they only deal with symptoms and it's in the pharmacutical industries best approach not to heal, but rather to make people fully dependent on them, but that's another story - I just share that with you so you can see clearly that I'm a little bias in that direction, and weigh my thoughts with that).

In the end, I really don't know about these things but what I do know - which @Hidden In Him has mentioned - God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of love, power and a sound mind.

Philippians 4:8 says "Finally, my brothers, whatever things are true, whatever things are honest, whatever things are right, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report; if there is any virtue and if there is any praise, think on these things."

With this, I would encourage you if you're not doing this already - try fasting from the media, and other outlets such as news, etc - especially ones that keep focusing on the wickedness and hopelessness around us - and spend the time you normally would in the bible instead, and/or on a mixture of the bible, and various ministries. Likewise good Christian worship music, if you're not doing either of these things and see if that makes a difference.

My personal gut feeling from what you've mentioned is that it spiritual, and that a lot more when it comes to mental illness is spiritual than we now recognise. But I'm just another voice, biased from my own previous experience which may or may not be relevant to yours. Hopefully my post has something in it that rings true and you find encouraging.
Very encouraging. Thankyou :)

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I have a lot of thoughts in my mind. Thoughts that I don’t think are true. So, I was wondering. Is this the Devil up to his Old Tricks? Or is it Just Paranoia. I appreciate any answers.
It could be either/or. Try reading and meditating on Scripture, particularly the Psalms.

Yan

Jun 15, 2020
City of David
the-land-of-hope.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Indonesia
I have a similar symptoms, but my case was a rare because in my teenager I was experiencing a black magic encounters because in my country black magic is such a common practice in the business competition. I was raised in a family which don't have a knowledge in a spiritual warfare, so when I was attacked my fam had not take me to the priest instead of take me into a moslem spiritual witch doctor. Since then I was brought up 13 nails from inside my liver, this was testified of Ezekiel 21:21 where babylonians use divination using teraphim to see the prophecy from using my liver. And since then I felt that something is following me and wishpering evil thoughts, its looks like there are 2 voices where since I was a kid I'd never heard it before.
That's why when I was repented in my adult age, I don't know if the evil spirit who cast out from my body came back with 7 evil spirits (Luke 11:24-26) and it was attacked me in 3 a.m in the early morning.
I was struggling every day, and I can't control my mind or my will. There's a heavy lung problem that makes me difficult to breathe (chest tightness) and really hard to focus, and I noticed that this heavy weight are in the same place where black magic had attacked me in my teenage.
So, I was struggling for about 10 years to praise and worship God every day, when I draw near God it helps a lot. But it come back when I was in digress while watching tv or movies, because this attacking me in every minutes and led astray my mind into evil thoughts and pulling my will into things that I don't want to think (Romans 7).
Before I was battling this spiritual warfare, I was also got medication from psychiatrist and they gave me a sleep therapy with some pills but it makes my brain become heavier and sleepy all day and I decided to stop and prefers to fight with God because I can feel his presence in all my trouble and God always gave me comfort in my trouble and He was faithful and he always there when I needed most.

I hope with my experience you can discernment your problem, the devil is real and I believe God is training all of His children to become the child of God and all of his people are prepared to struggle in tribulation to purify the children of God (Hebrews 12:1-17).

Last edited:

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I believe that all that is good and perfect comes from God and what is not good and perfect comes from Satan. God created a perfect world where I am sure no one suffered from depression, suicidal thoughts, cancer, brain tumors etc etc. All these things are the result of sin that came into the world through Satan. Sin specific and sin in general.

I believe that not only there are personal problems but that the world of itself is loaded with the necessary contents to be a debilitating influence on people. You can work in a depressing environment and it is not particularly one person's fault as there is a spirit of depression that has invaded that territory because of the actions of someone or some people.

I believe that the only way satan can infest is if he is invited to do so. Certainly with the believer as we are equipped with all that is necessary to keep him under our thumb.

If you do that which is not part of God's plan say become a person who spends every weekend bedding someone for the sheer pleasure of it, you have opened the door to a spirit of lust and have invited him into your life which will eventually control you. And in all probability, you will contract STDs and may even die from it.

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe that all that is good and perfect comes from God and what is not good and perfect comes from Satan. God created a perfect world where I am sure no one suffered from depression, suicidal thoughts, cancer, brain tumors etc etc. All these things are the result of sin that came into the world through Satan. Sin specific and sin in general.
This is the only post I've read in this thread - just now just signed in and saw it in the sidebar view page recent posts.
I did not even read past this paragraph yet... only this paragraph - so this paragraph is all that I am referring to in this reply so far ....
Yes perfectly right, all that is good is a gift from God. (this is written)
Jesus heals people. Everywhere Jesus went, He healed everyone who came to Him.
Many people in the recent years have been healed.
More people have not been healed though, by far - those losing their health far exceed those who are healed.
Jesus says "MY PEOPLE (not the worldlings/pagans) perish "for lack of knowledge" "
I've noted over the years, that the doctors who were successful healing people, were usually banned/ blacklisted/ shut down/ silenced /. or shot. (yes, killed).
Why is this ? Why does this happen ?

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I won't ask directly what those thoughts are since that would invading your privacy; but sometimes paranoia is justifed. It can be a signal to us that something isn't right. When you say you have thoughts you don't think are true, is that because you emotionally wouldn't want them to be true? In my younger days, I often had so-called friends that I was paranoid around. Later I found out, when they betrayed me, the signs had been there. I should have known they weren't really my friends -- but I didn't want to see it -- I wanted to "feel" that they loved me. One of the hardest lessons I had to learn was that people didn't love me just because I wanted them to and believed their act.

Sorting such things out can be complicated too. Sometimes one person can cause lots of problems for an entire group of people by making sly comments that plant seeds of doubt in everyone else. He may convince them all that he's their only friend -- they can't trust each other -- only him.

Paranoia also can be made worse when we stifle anger. If people are doing annoying things, we may not want to let them know we're annoyed. Maybe it's our bosses, maybe it's our spouses, maybe it's our parents. I'm not saying we need to express anger --as Jesus put it, be angry and sin not -- but sometimes anger is a reasonable reaction to unreasonable people or situations. Stifling anger can lead to a worse emotion -- fear. And stuck halfway between fear and anger lies paranoia -- afraid to express anger.

Examine your situation. I think the odds are you may be able to find ways to improve it. The medicine doesn't fix problems -- it only masks the emotions to a degree. If you can find what's wrong with the situation, you won't need the medicine. I know that sounds unscientific, but I helped a young man get off pills once. He didn't think he could survive without pills. He did. His big problem was his parents. He was living at home with them, and they loved to manipulate him, loved to keep him dependent on them under their thumbs. Some parents know how to "correct" a child with love -- others say they're correcting him but they're actually demeaning him, making feel worthless and dependent on them. He moved out of their house, out of their town even.

Odds are the parnoia is a reasonable emotion to something unreasonable in your life. That may sound strange at first; but our emotions are useful clues telling us about our lives. If you see something threatening like a big bear coming your way, you'd be crazy not to feel fear. Fear tells us there's a threat -- get out of there. Likewise it's normal -- not mentally ill -- to feel grief if someone we love dies. Negative emotions are telling us, "Something is wrong here."

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I won't ask directly what those thoughts are since that would invading your privacy; but sometimes paranoia is justifed.
Maybe not. I do not see paranoia as this >>>
One of the hardest lessons I had to learn was that people didn't love me just because I wanted them to and believed their act.
Oh, this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^. is something we all must learn if we learn the truth -
that people in general are seeking our destruction (all society)... but that's truth, not to be afraid of, nor paranoid, but
as we seek and learn the truth , to be set free from being cursed (people who trust the flesh are cursed by God, God Says) ..
As we learn instead to trust God, we are set free from all manners and kinds of doubts or fears....
If we trust man, we get entangled more in problems and the problems grow worse and multiply....
Paranoia also can be made worse when we stifle anger.
Yes, that seems true.
Be angry and sin not - we learn from God and His Word how to properly be anger His Way, and yet not sin - and not ever be afraid of what men can do to us....

Jun 20, 2020
Chester ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
This is the only post I've read in this thread - just now just signed in and saw it in the sidebar view page recent posts.
I did not even read past this paragraph yet... only this paragraph - so this paragraph is all that I am referring to in this reply so far ....
More people have not been healed though, by far - those losing their health far exceed those who are healed.
Jesus says "MY PEOPLE (not the worldlings/pagans) perish "for lack of knowledge" "
I've noted over the years, that the doctors who were successful healing people, were usually banned/ blacklisted/ shut down/ silenced /. or shot. (yes, killed).
Worldlings :)

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

If you step out and challenge the status quo you are enemy number one. Especially in the church.

brian100

Jul 5, 2020
Las Vegas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My kids mom where non mary believers and her and her Brother were like that. Had to be on pills.. or stayed in door 24/7. The word they use was panic attacks.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Thoughts come from our own desires and there are those who Satan plants blaming us for thinking them. He is identified as the accuser in scripture not only accusing us to ourselves but also accusing us to God telling him how hopeless we are.

Determining their origin comes with experience and being in connection 24/7 by lifting our thoughts in thankfulness and prayer for protection.

Jesus said, 'I am the vine, you are the branches; stay connected for without me you can do nothing'
Allow this picture/ metaphor Jesus used to stay in your thinking and if you want results, stay connected. Fear will be the first of afflictions to vanish like the dew on a hot summers morning.

Read....get familiar with God's words; they will be a safeguard in both good times and in time of need