Paul's testimony

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Acts 26:12-14

Can you pinpoint a specific day (or even a time) when you became a Christian?

I've been told that only about one-third of us can do so.

That’s still quite a lot of people. But even these apparently sudden conversions don’t often happen completely ‘out of the blue’. There was mine, for example: about forty years ago I woke up one morning with no interest in religion at all, no curiosity about Jesus or about Christianity. And yet just a few hours later I had become a Christian. You can’t get a much more sudden shift than that - yet even so, looking back, there were several occasions during the previous year or two when God had given me a nudge through something I had seen, or heard, or read.

Now was it like that for Paul? When he woke up that morning, if anyone had said to him, ‘Paul, by the end of today you’ll be a Christian,’ he would probably have been horrified! He was the most fanatical opponent of Christianity in the whole world, the man in charge of the official campaign against the followers of Jesus. As far as he was concerned, they were dangerous heretics who needed to be exterminated. For months he had devoted himself to persecuting them, trying to force them back into mainstream Judaism. His hatred had grown into such an obsession that he even wanted to hunt down those who had fled abroad - which was why he was travelling to Damascus in the first place. And yet one of the things that Jesus said to him was, It is hard for you to kick against the goads.(Acts 26:14)

So had God had been prodding Paul’s conscience for all that time? Maybe He had… Surely the witness and martyrdom of Stephen must have left a big impression on him. And then there were all those un-named believers who had refused to renounce their faith even he had threatened them with torture and death. It’s also possible that Paul was being niggled by doubts on the inside: doubts about the value of his ultra-strict observance of the Law. But he had managed to ignore or block out all these things. He had been like a reluctant ox that refuses to pull the plough and needs to be jolted into action! Only an encounter with Jesus Himself could overcome his resistance.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Nice post,

my son gave his life to Jesus whle lying in bed reading a book. Told me he for some reason put it down and there and than gave his life to Jesus. Rang me up in the middle of teh night because the devil was trying to undo all teh god work Christ had started. Still in the Lord today, living in Germany. Oh and hes never read a bible.

Raeneske

Sep 18, 2012
mjrhealth said:
Nice post,

my son gave his life to Jesus whle lying in bed reading a book. Told me he for some reason put it down and there and than gave his life to Jesus. Rang me up in the middle of teh night because the devil was trying to undo all teh god work Christ had started. Still in the Lord today, living in Germany. Oh and hes never read a bible.
Your last sentence is alarming. If you don't read the Bible, you have nothing to test what spirit is leading you.

1 John 4:1 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.

It is impossible for any human being to have a right conception of Jesus, the duties and requirements of being a Christian when they neglect the very Word that was given to us by God the Father.

Continuing... my conversion was more profound when I came to understand partially about His law. When I became convinced that my entire life I had been rejecting a commandment in His law, then is when I began to change. But some time before then, I chose Christ over other religions. And now, almost 4 years later from that time, God has blessed me with another revelation of His law that is truly amazing and astounding. I have some work to do, to show true love all the time to my Creator, My Father, & my neighbors.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
you have nothing to test what spirit is leading you.
Oh what would you do without your bible, would God suddenly die, would Jesus dissapear, dont you know the voice of your Lord and Shepherd??

Raeneske

Sep 18, 2012
mjrhealth said:
Oh what would you do without your bible, would God suddenly die, would Jesus dissapear, dont you know the voice of your Lord and Shepherd??
The sheep wouldn't reject, mock anyone who relies on, or despise the Word of God, as Jesus Himself calls it. It is the means God has chosen to have men study, and prove that which is truth. The Word admonishes us to "prove all things". We cannot prove thing one without anything to test the spirits that speak to us. What? Why did Daniel study Jeremiah? Why did Christ study the Bible? What? The Bereans, who searched to see if what was spoken unto them was true, were they considered more or less noble for doing so?

Acts 17:11 These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.

Nothing elevates and ennobles the mind like the study of the Scriptures. Without taking advantage of the Word of God, given to us for our benefit, we shall never be able to attain to Christian perfection. What? Were the prophecies written in vain? Is knowledge and wisdom revealed in there, only to be neglected, and expected for us to receive without the study of the Scriptures? Why do they exist within our reach, if it was never intended by God to be studied?

I know my Master's voice. But those who rejects the Word of my God, doth not know the Masters voice. To reject the Word of God, is to reject Christ. To neglect the Word of God, is to neglect Christ, for it is written:

Revelation 19:11-16 And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war. 12 His eyes were as a flame of fire, and on his head were many crowns; and he had a name written, that no man knew, but he himself. 13 And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God. 14 And the armies which were in heaven followed him upon white horses, clothed in fine linen, white and clean. 15 And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God. 16 And he hath on his vesture and on his thigh a name written, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS.

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
mjrhealth said:
It's because I read my Bible that I can recognise my Shepherd's voice when I hear it.

It was while reading the Bible that I met Him for the first time.

Most Christians without a Bible would do almost anything to get hold of one.