Perception

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is a subject that I have taught a lot about for decades. I won't go into much more until we get some feedback on how perceptions may have played a part in the lives of some of you guys and gals.
Any thoughts?

D

Dave L

This is a subject that I have taught a lot about for decades. I won't go into much more until we get some feedback on how perceptions may have played a part in the lives of some of you guys and gals.
Any thoughts?
per·cep·tion
/pərˈsepSH(ə)n/
noun
  1. the ability to see, hear, or become aware of something through the senses.
    "the normal limits to human perception"
    • the state of being or process of becoming aware of something through the senses.
      "the perception of pain"
      synonyms: recognition, awareness, consciousness, appreciation, realization, knowledge, grasp, understanding, comprehension, apprehension;
      formalcognizance
      "our perception of our own limitations"
    • a way of regarding, understanding, or interpreting something; a mental impression.
      "Hollywood's perception of the tastes of the American public"
      synonyms: impression, idea, conception, notion, thought, belief, judgment, estimation
      "popular perceptions of old age"
Is this what you are talking about?

Reactions: Mayflower and Helen

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, it is not. In fact, those dictionary definitions are not at all what most of us experience when we express a perception of a situation.
To wit:
Suppose you are driving down the road, and a car swerves directly in front of you and nearly hits you before it rockets off on down the road. You make a "judgment", an instantaneous assessment and personal belief of that situation, and even of that driver. THAT is your "perception", your perceived notion of what just transpired.

Your examples are mostly of studied and reasoned ideas and conclusions. I am speaking of "snap judgements" that we make in an instant, AND THEN take into our minds as truths we tend to live by, and judge similar future incidents by.

Last edited:

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, it is not. In fact, those dictionary definitions are not at all what most of us experience when we express an perception of a situation.
To wit:
Suppose you are driving down the road, and a car swerves directly in front of you and nearly hits you before it rockets off on down the road. You make a "judgment", an instantaneous assessment and personal belief of that situation, and even of that driver. THAT is your "perception", your perceived notion of what just transpired.

Your examples are mostly of studied and reasoned ideas and conclusions. I am speaking of "snap judgements" that we make in an instant, AND THEN take into our minds as truths we tend to live by, and judge similar future incidents by.

I believe you are referring to personal assessments of a situation then; superficial assessments of people based solely on what we see, correct?

If so, I'm actually pretty good at avoiding doing this. I try to consider the possibilities, and take into account factors that might not be readily apparent. Maybe the person was rushing to the hospital because a loved one got injured and was dying. Maybe the driver was sick, or sleepy, or partially blind. Maybe they lost control of the car swerving to miss an animal... I try not to pass judgment when I have no evidence to go on, seeing as how it's a total stranger and I don't know their situation.

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe you are referring to personal assessments of a situation then; superficial assessments of people based solely on what we see, correct?

If so, I'm actually pretty good at avoiding doing this. I try to consider the possibilities, and take into account factors that might not be readily apparent. Maybe the person was rushing to the hospital because a loved one got injured and was dying. Maybe the driver was sick, or sleepy, or partially blind. Maybe they lost control of the car swerving to miss an animal... I try not to pass judgment when I have no evidence to go on, seeing as how it's a total stranger and I don't know their situation.
Well, you are rare in the world of the rest of us humans. LOL

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, you are rare in the world of the rest of us humans. LOL

Ha Ha!! As Monk would say, "It's a gift... and a curse."

e32974df09f8bd7cbd9431c8d349bcc9.jpg

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What about some of the rest of you who read this, but haven't answered? Do you weigh out unseen possibilities and alternative scenarios when things happen in your life?

Reactions: Mayflower

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some people just get enraged and are unwilling to see reason even when proven wrong.

My tendency since becoming christian is less assuming malicious intent, and more towards selfish intent.
Commendable. But, I really wanted to talk more about things like your first paragraph... BUT, before anything has been proven right or wrong. It just happened, and we are still enraged. Things that, in the 1886 Wild West, would have had us pulling our pistol and blowing someone away.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
Commendable. But, I really wanted to talk more about things like your first paragraph... BUT, before anything has been proven right or wrong. It just happened, and we are still enraged. Things that, in the 1886 Wild West, would have had us pulling our pistol and blowing someone away.

I usually assume drugs with people like this.

Reactions: Willie T

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Perception in the natural man is usually diametrically opposed to the discernment of spirit(s) furnished to the Christian having the Holy Spirit.

So many times I've judged - perceived - one thing of or about a person but God gives me a deeper view. One that convicts me of my flash decision.

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Does anyone recognize this one?:
Because of my reaction to something you did, your motive in doing it is therefore defined and verified by that reaction.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
What about some of the rest of you who read this, but haven't answered? Do you weigh out unseen possibilities and alternative scenarios when things happen in your life?

LOL. I am very perceptive indeed. When my husband comes home from a squash game..I can perceive that it was a good game for him, or a bad one...I can perceive that from his eyes.
When his eyes are dark and hard, I perceive that he lost the game. :D Howzat!! ;)

On the serious side, I am reading all the wisdom here.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
LOL. I am very perceptive indeed. When my husband comes home from a squash game..I can perceive that it was a good game for him, or a bad one...I can perceive that from his eyes.
When his eyes are dark and hard, I perceive that he lost the game. :D Howzat!! ;)

On the serious side, I am reading all the wisdom here.

Yes, but I think wives have plenty of "inside info," shall we say. They can see your "tell." My wife would always know when it is not a good time to talk to me. Supposedly my pupils would tighten up into a sharp little bead. Whenever she saw that, she told me she went straight to the other room, LoL.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Yes, but I think wives have plenty of "inside info," shall we say. They can see your "tell." My wife would always know when it is not a good time to talk to me. Supposedly my pupils would tighten up into a sharp little bead. Whenever she saw that, she told me she went straight to the other room, LoL.

Yep...it's all in the eyes. :)

I was just being light hearted.
Willie has a good thread here, but only a few hours sleep last night. Feeling "jet-lagged"...and my brain is mush right now. I don't have a sensible post in my reach right now...I'd better quit for the day.lol

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was just being light hearted.

Me too : )
Does anyone recognize this one?:
Because of my reaction to something you did, your motive in doing it is therefore defined and verified by that reaction.

Willie. Explain this one a little further. I think I know what you mean but I wanna make sure.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Any thoughts?

I could say that my view of "the world" has done a flip-flop! I see so many things that I was oblivious to or, just pain apathetic about in my B.C. life. My values, morals, empathy...all have gone in the other direction so, I suppose my personal perception has changed me in many ways...since becoming a follower of Jesus ♥