Perfect in beauty: anointed cherub?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’ve heard so many things over the span of my life that I can’t remember, where I heard what. I’ve heard Satan was a cherub that was appointed to guard the mercy seat? This can’t be right. What is said about Satan and what verses tell us about him? I don’t mean the obvious: he is an enemy but where and when did he originate?

Ezekiel 28:12-15
[12] Son of man, take up a lamentation upon the king of Tyrus, and say unto him, Thus saith the Lord God ; Thou sealest up the sum, full of wisdom, and perfect in beauty. [13] Thou hast been in Eden the garden of God; every precious stone was thy covering, the sardius, topaz, and the diamond, the beryl, the onyx, and the jasper, the sapphire, the emerald, and the carbuncle, and gold: the workmanship of thy tabrets and of thy pipes was prepared in thee in the day that thou wast created. [14] Thou art the anointed cherub that covereth; and I have set thee so : thou wast upon the holy mountain of God; thou hast walked up and down in the midst of the stones of fire. [15] Thou wast perfect in thy ways from the day that thou wast created, till iniquity was found in thee.

LC627

May 11, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God created the angels and before Satan's rebellion he was an angel.

Isaiah 14:12,13 - "How you are fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! How you are cut down to the ground, You who weakened the nations! For you have said in your heart: 'I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God; I will also sit on the mount of the congregation On the farthest sides of the north; I will ascend above the heights of the clouds, I will be like the Most High.'

What is interesting is that Satan told Eve in the Garden the very same thing he wanted, "You will be like God" (Gen. 3:5)

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’ve heard so many things over the span of my life that I can’t remember, where I heard what. I’ve heard Satan was a cherub that was appointed to guard the mercy seat? This can’t be right. What is said about Satan and what verses tell us about him? I don’t mean the obvious: he is an enemy but where and when did he originate?

Ezekiel 28:12-15
[12] Son of man, take up a lamentation upon the king of Tyrus, and say unto him, Thus saith the Lord God ; Thou sealest up the sum, full of wisdom, and perfect in beauty. [13] Thou hast been in Eden the garden of God; every precious stone was thy covering, the sardius, topaz, and the diamond, the beryl, the onyx, and the jasper, the sapphire, the emerald, and the carbuncle, and gold: the workmanship of thy tabrets and of thy pipes was prepared in thee in the day that thou wast created. [14] Thou art the anointed cherub that covereth; and I have set thee so : thou wast upon the holy mountain of God; thou hast walked up and down in the midst of the stones of fire. [15] Thou wast perfect in thy ways from the day that thou wast created, till iniquity was found in thee.

Why do you say, ' This can't be right'?

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I’ve heard Satan was a cherub that was appointed to guard the mercy seat? This can’t be right.
Why not? Is Satan not an angelic being? Does he not have a whole host of powerful evil angels under his control?

And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels, And prevailed not; neither was their place found any more in heaven. And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him. (Rev 12:7-9).

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why do you say, ' This can't be right'?

Because man was put out of the garden of God (heaven) and the only way back in to the presence of God and to eat of the tree of life, is by the mercy seat.

Numbers 7:89
[89] And when Moses was gone into the tabernacle of the congregation to speak with him, then he heard the voice of one speaking unto him from off the mercy seat that was upon the ark of testimony, from between the two cherubims: and he spake unto him.

God appointed the Cherubims after man was drove out.

Genesis 3:24
[24] So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life.

Why would God appoint Satan as a cherubim over the mercy seat?

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God created the angels and before Satan's rebellion he was an angel.

Isaiah 14:12,13 - "How you are fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! How you are cut down to the ground, You who weakened the nations! For you have said in your heart: 'I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God; I will also sit on the mount of the congregation On the farthest sides of the north; I will ascend above the heights of the clouds, I will be like the Most High.'

What is interesting is that Satan told Eve in the Garden the very same thing he wanted, "You will be like God" (Gen. 3:5)

I agree. satan's own statements are striking. "I will be like the Most High". "ye shall be as gods knowing good and evil". " fall down and worship me".

As Christians we know the chaos and destruction in the world are the result of sin brought about by satan in the universe and brought about by man in the world. As a result of this we often view satan going about creating chaos and destruction as if that is his goal. But, that is not his goal. his goal is to be like God. And God establishes order and peace. So, guess what satan's goal is?...order and peace. Only with his plan, he is in the place of God. he is the one worshipped.

So, what does he do? he tries and develop systems both political and religious that are orderly and religious, and even use the name god. These systems are all about unity and love, and caring for your fellowman. But they exclude the real God, and His Son Jesus Christ. They exclude the blood of Jesus Christ as necessary to wash away the sins of man. They cast doubt on the Bible as the written Word of God. And the people who hold to the Bible as the Word of God are just fanatics, or pharisees at best.

satan's goal is to be like God. To be worshipped as God. All of his systems of order will have the appearance of being like God. But they are without Christ. Without the Blood of Christ. Without the Bible as the Word of God.

satan is a deceiver. he copies. So he copies God. And Christians everywhere fall all over themselves as long as unity, love, and fellowman are presented. And they become willing to deny the very things that are rock bottom solid and established by God, which is the Bible as the Word of God and the Blood of Christ as necessary for any communion with God.

satan is not called a deceiver for nothing.

Stranger

Last edited:

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Satan had been long gone from Heaven at the time that the mercy seat was constructed. Those cherubims were holy angels, and Satan was by then ha Satan -- the Adversary of God and man.

Reactions: Helen

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Because man was put out of the garden of God (heaven) and the only way back in to the presence of God and to eat of the tree of life, is by the mercy seat.

Numbers 7:89
[89] And when Moses was gone into the tabernacle of the congregation to speak with him, then he heard the voice of one speaking unto him from off the mercy seat that was upon the ark of testimony, from between the two cherubims: and he spake unto him.

God appointed the Cherubims after man was drove out.

Genesis 3:24
[24] So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life.

Cherubims existed before the fall of man. And they were extremely close to God. But, satan wasn't the only one. So, after the fall, other Cherubims were given specific duties that were in line with their titles as Cherubims.

Stranger

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Cherubims existed before the fall of man. And they were extremely close to God. But, satan wasn't the only one. So, after the fall, other Cherubims were given specific duties that were in line with their titles as Cherubims.

Stranger

So he was never one that guarded the mercy seat?

What titles?

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Satan had been long gone from Heaven at the time that the mercy seat was constructed. Those cherubims were holy angels, and Satan was by then ha Satan -- the Adversary of God and man.

Is it true that Satan was God’s most beautiful creation? If so, man was created in God’s image. Was man not beautiful in that he reflected God?

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Addressing the OP.

Good post, don't want to hijack it, but ...
one might want to compare this beauty, or completeness in Ezekiel 27 especially verses 3, 4 & 11.

in their Beauty all three have something in common, "PRIDE"
also all three have another thing thing in common, they want to be LIKE GOD.
Adam, Satan, and the prince of Tyrus. same trait and all the same result, "DOWNFALL" read that chapter 27 of Ezekiel through 28 it might shed some light on your subject topic.

PCY

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Is it true that Satan was God’s most beautiful creation? If so, man was created in God’s image. Was man not beautiful in that he reflected God?
Absolutely. Yet man was created "a little lower than the angels", but "crowned with glory and honor" (in Christ, not in Adam).

PSALM 8
3 When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained;
4 What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him?
5 For thou hast made him a little lower than the angels, and hast crowned him with glory and honour.
6 Thou madest him to have dominion over the works of thy hands; thou hast put all things under his feet:
7 All sheep and oxen, yea, and the beasts of the field;
8 The fowl of the air, and the fish of the sea, and whatsoever passeth through the paths of the seas.
9 O LORD our Lord, how excellent is thy name in all the earth!

Even though man was made a little lower than the angels, God, in His infinite grace and mercy, planned for human beings -- IN AND THROUGH CHRIST -- to be in eternal fellowship with Him. Indeed for the Church to become the Wife of the Lamb (Rev 19:5-9).

Therefore angels were appointed to be ministering spirits, ministering to the heirs of salvation:
But to which of the angels said he at any time, Sit on my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool? Are they not all ministering spirits, sent forth to minister for them who shall be heirs of salvation? (Heb 1:13,14)

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Addressing the OP.

one might want to compare this beauty, or completeness in Ezekiel 27 especially verses 3, 4 & 11.

Adam, Satan, and the prince of Tyrus. same trait and all the same result, "DOWNFALL" read that chapter 27 of Ezekiel through 28 it might shed some light on your subject topic.

PCY

What the world considers beauty, is not God’s definition of beautiful??

Hijack all you want.

Reactions: 101G

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

What titles?

Was there a need for a mercy seat before man fell?

satan is called the anointed cherub that covereth. (Eze. 28:14) And the covering cherub. (Eze. 28:16)

As a covering cherub he was in extreme closeness to God. Especially since he is called 'the anointed cherub that covereth'.

satan has many titles in Scripture.

Stranger

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Addressing the OP.

PCY

I disagree that Adam was seeking to be like God.

Stranger

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Eze 28 does not apply to Satan, neither was he Lucifer in Isaiah 14.

I understand you all see certain landmarks and key phrases that you liken to other parts of the Bible. And yes, there are likenesses. That isn't unusual in the Bible.

"Lucifer" in Isaiah is referring to Nebuchanezzer. You can find this prophecy fulfilled in Daniel 4.

The Prince and King of Tyre is referring to just that... The king of tyre. And "Lucifer" helped fulfill the prophecy against him!

Look at theae chapters and you will find they are both "men". Not angels or Charabums. You can even find extrabiblical sources to show the account of their battle.

What about the Eden the King of Tyre was in? Perhaps a metaphor. But also note Eze 27 which talka about a region called Eden where mechants went to. I am unaware if the Garden had a marketplace! I suspect it is a metaphor.

Reactions: amadeus

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

The temple and associated practices, it’s layout and all the furnishings particularly the mercy seat represented Jesus.
I have not heard of Satan guarding the mercy seat but why would he? he is in opposition to Jesus.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Eze 28 does not apply to Satan, neither was he Lucifer in Isaiah 14.

I understand you all see certain landmarks and key phrases that you liken to other parts of the Bible. And yes, there are likenesses. That isn't unusual in the Bible.

"Lucifer" in Isaiah is referring to Nebuchanezzer. You can find this prophecy fulfilled in Daniel 4.

The Prince and King of Tyre is referring to just that... The king of tyre. And "Lucifer" helped fulfill the prophecy against him!

Look at theae chapters and you will find they are both "men". Not angels or Charabums. You can even find extrabiblical sources to show the account of their battle.

What about the Eden the King of Tyre was in? Perhaps a metaphor. But also note Eze 27 which talka about a region called Eden where mechants went to. I am unaware if the Garden had a marketplace! I suspect it is a metaphor.

I can see what you mean about both are “men”. What scripture do you see as applying to Satan and not “men”?

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I disagree that Adam was seeking to be like God.

Stranger
thanks for the response, but I must disagree,
Genesis 3:1 "Now the serpent was more subtil than any beast of the field which the LORD God had made. And he said unto the woman, Yea, hath God said, Ye shall not eat of every tree of the garden?

Genesis 3:2 "And the woman said unto the serpent, We may eat of the fruit of the trees of the garden:

Genesis 3:3 "But of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God hath said, Ye shall not eat of it, neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die.

Genesis 3:4 "And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die:Genesis 3:5 "For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.

Genesis 3:6 "And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat.

Genesis 3:22 "And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:

PCY.