Perks of aging

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As I get older (turned 28 this week) Ive noticed some perks!

1) Ive become 1,000 percent more selective of who I give my energy to. I try to give my best to my husband, family, and quality friends. But Ive stopped sharing my life on Facebook at all because I love having privacy against those who don't have my best interest. I share nothing on there and keep them in the dark where they belong.

2) I embrace kindness and directness over being "nice" and accomodating. I think getting older is helping this. Sometimes conflict cannot be avoided. Sometimes hard things have to be said but I choose my battles carefully.

3) I am learning to be happy and enjoy where God has me right now. Its never going to be perfect but it's way more than I deserve.

We usually think of aging as this terrible thing but wisdom is very valuable. What things are you learning as you age? Share them here.

Keturah

Dec 19, 2022
Here
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm learning that we are never " to old" to learn new things.

Change is growth & vice-versa.
I have changed my thoughts & behaviours many times over the years as I have aged.

We seem to the younger to be " set in our ways" but if that is true then I think instead we have become stagnant. Just as a continually flowing water is said to purify itself, so to must we be "putting off " the things that hinder our walk & progress with God & "RENEWING OUR MINDS" DAILY in Christ!

Blessings & love to you sweet Sister in Christ ❤️

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm learning that we are never " to old" to learn new things.

Change is growth & vice-versa.
I have changed my thoughts & behaviours many times over the years as I have aged.

We seem to the younger to be " set in our ways" but if that is true then I think instead we have become stagnant. Just as a continually flowing water is said to purify itself, so to must we be "putting off " the things that hinder our walk & progress with God & "RENEWING OUR MINDS" DAILY in Christ!

Blessings & love to you sweet Sister in Christ ❤️
God bless you too, Keturah! Love you!

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm learning what I consider to be the true gospel. And I've learned of my weaknesses and become more humble as a result. Not sure how much longer I will live, but it's been pretty pleasant when I don't think about the bad times. Lots of ups and downs, but the ups have been great! Cheers.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

1) Ive become 1,000 percent more selective of who I give my energy to. I try to give my best to my husband, family, and quality friends. But Ive stopped sharing my life on Facebook at all because I love having privacy against those who don't have my best interest. I share nothing on there and keep them in the dark where they belong.

2) I embrace kindness and directness over being "nice" and accomodating. I think getting older is helping this. Sometimes conflict cannot be avoided. Sometimes hard things have to be said but I choose my battles carefully.

3) I am learning to be happy and enjoy where God has me right now. Its never going to be perfect but it's way more than I deserve.

We usually think of aging as this terrible thing but wisdom is very valuable. What things are you learning as you age? Share them here.
There are plenty of old fools Wynona......and thank God the journey of/ to wisdom is reflected in your post here.
Unlearning the uselessness of 'prattle' is high value.....and where was God when Ezekiel looked for him?... in the 'still small voice' :)

Reactions: Lizbeth and Wynona

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What things are you learning as you age? Share them here.
It’s not so much finding success as avoiding pitfalls. Risk management. As my spiritual life deepens, I realize the war that rages in laying traps for our destruction.

Listen to that inner voice, the quiet voice, the Holy Spirit who prompts you a somewhat innocuous path is anything but - even though you don’t see the specific dangers - moral, spiritual, financial, relational, physical, etc.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One of my coworkers (now retired) had one of those month-at-glance calendars with little pithy sayings about growing older, like:

Sometimes, with old age comes wisdom. Other times, old age shows up alone.

And my personal favorite:

Old age: Going to the bathroom more; enjoying it less.

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Most of my friends are older. I really think their generation understands friendship better. They seem to get things like thoughtfulness, gifts, and reciprocration better whereas every friend Ive had that's my age has been flaky at best.

My younger friends love to ask for things without thanks, ghost you without saying a word like thats okay, or just act disrespectful because they lead a clique you're in. They need things and ask you for it and then resent you for having it to give.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

You have learned these things early in life but it takes some of us a lot longer. I am a lot older than you - I have grandchildren older than you - but we are never too old to learn.

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You have learned these things early in life but it takes some of us a lot longer. I am a lot older than you - I have grandchildren older than you - but we are never too old to learn.
Thank you, Pearl!! Love you!

• Love
Reactions: Pearl

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Younger people often need charity more than older more established people for their behaviors. And older people need charity for their health and monetary needs often. Some of the people we encounter are more needy than others. That is why healthy boundaries are important. We should help them as much as possible, and we together with the Lord should decide when we will not sacrifice to help them. And they may see that as being selfish or not friendly and that is OK.

I had a friend that I fed on a low budget and my diet was severely impacted because of it. The Lord blessed me with the spirit of comfort for helping them, but it only impacted my stomach problems adversely. I eventually had to cut them off from food help so that I could live a more normal and healthy life. And he thought I was being selfish and mean. But yeah, some people are more needy than others.

Reactions: amadeus and Wynona

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Younger people often need charity more than older more established people for their behaviors. And older people need charity for their health and monetary needs often. Some of the people we encounter are more needy than others. That is why healthy boundaries are important. We should help them as much as possible, and we together with the Lord should decide when we will not sacrifice to help them. And they may see that as being selfish or not friendly and that is OK.

I had a friend that I fed on a low budget and my diet was severely impacted because of it. The Lord blessed me with the spirit of comfort for helping them, but it only impacted my stomach problems adversely. I eventually had to cut them off from food help so that I could live a more normal and healthy life. And he thought I was being selfish and mean. But yeah, some people are more needy than others.
It's biblical to help those in need. It's biblical to lodge people who need a place to stay.

But it takes a lot of wisdom. We lodged one guy and he went on a drug fueled rampage, tackled my husband, and destroyed our door. We lodged one of my friends and she dissed me to my husband and made a pass at him when I went to my job at the time.

Somehow I feel like we would still lodge someone under the right circumstances but we haven't in a while and Im glad for it. When our daughter is born, she comes first and I will not put her at risk for a needy outsider.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I find that age doesn't necessarily mean a person is easier to get along with as some people never really mature in their Christian walk too well. I often find myself sacrificing myself and my needs to get along with others. And some are younger and some are older. So I guess I don't see the connection with age. But what I have found is that as a person gets nearer to the ways of God they are more pleasant to be around. More peaceful.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's biblical to help those in need. It's biblical to lodge people who meed a place to stay.

But it takes a lot of wisdom. We lodged one guy and he went on a drug fueled rampage, tackled my husband, and destroyed our door. We lodged one of my friends and she dissed me to my husband and made a pass at him when I went to my job at the time.

Somehow I feel like we would still lodge someone under the right circumstances but we haven't in a while and Im glad for it. When our daughter is born, she comes first and I will not put her at risk for a needy outsider.
Yes I wouldn't lodge someone when you have children like that. I find that helping them on my terms is better than letting them have terms and conditions to that aid. I don't invite them in any more.

I have had similar experiences lodging people and caring for them. I have learned better ways to help them now. But I'm poor so I think other people can offer aid more than I can and that is OK.