Peter's cool - but what about revelations from our Father in Heaven?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Apparently the Catholic a Protestant rift centers on "who" Jesus was referring to when he declared how he would build his church. But why take sides? In the passages below Jesus referred to "Peter", "Himself", and his "Father in heaven."

Matthew 16:13-20
13 When Jesus came to the region of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, “Who do people say the Son of Man is?”
14 They replied, “Some say John the Baptist; others say Elijah; and still others, Jeremiah or one of the prophets.”
15 “But what about you?” he asked. “Who do you say I am?”
16 Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.”
17 Jesus replied, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by flesh and blood, but by my Father in heaven. 18 And I tell you that you are Peter, will not overcome it. 19 I will give you the keys bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.” 20 Then he ordered his disciples not to tell anyone that he was the Messiah."

Now if we had to choose...given the choices, it is true, only a fool would put their saddle on Peter. But that is not the point I wish to make. In fact, I love Catholics and am confident that God has used both sides of this issue to benefit the kingdom. However..the point here, is the unseen [God] in the room...which, I sorry...puts Peter (and every Pope) to shame. But if we can't even talk about it without the age-old conflict between Catholics and Protestants...then we miss how God is working all things together (including this conflict) together for good.

This issue is like a man walking. One leg thrusts forward in opposition to the other, while the other thrusts seemingly backward in opposition to the first. If one were to take the opposition serious, you would think that both legs are not even of the same body. But we and they are - and it is the very opposition that causes us to move forward.

There is no need to see eye to eye, but every reason to get along.

So...can we at least acknowledge the unseen God in the room - without giving Peter all the glory?