Peter's sermon to the Jews

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

RichardBurger

Jan 23, 2008
Southeast USA
Peter's sermon on Pentecost:

I believe that Peter's sermon has been taken out of context and used as a blanket sermon about repenting and being water baptized. This article is my attempt to prove that it has to be read “IN CONTEXT.“

(was it to the Jews, the Gentiles, or both?) (IMHO = In my honest opinion)

Acts 2:31-38 (NKJV)
31 he, foreseeing this, spoke concerning the resurrection of the Christ, that His soul was not left in Hades, nor did His flesh see corruption.
32 This Jesus God has raised up, of which we are all witnesses.
33 Therefore being exalted to the right hand of God, and having received from the Father the promise of the Holy Spirit, He poured out this which you now see and hear.
34 "For David did not ascend into the heavens, but he says himself:
'The Lord said to my Lord,
'Sit at My right hand,
35 Till I make Your enemies Your footstool."'

** In the above Peter is testifying to the Jews that Jesus is the promised Christ.

36 "Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly that God has made this Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord and Christ."
37 Now when they heard this, they were cut to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, "Men and brethren, what shall we do?"

** Peter tells the Jews they have crucified the Lord of Glory. The Jews wanted to know what they could do to atone """for crucifying Jesus."""

38 ""THEN"" Peter said to “”THEM,”” "Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

** Note: Verse 38 is a DIRECT answer to the question in verse 37. The Jews were to repent of rejecting Jesus and having Him crucified. ---

NOTE: It was not to repent of sins of the sinful flesh. Nowhere in the context of these scriptures has sins of the sinful flesh been mentioned.

** The Jews were to fulfill a Jewish ritual of water cleansing (water baptism), a ritual under the Law of Moses, and at the same time they were to 'acknowledge' Jesus as the Christ by performing a water cleansing ritual (baptism) in His name.

39 For the promise is to you and to your children, and to all who are afar off, as many as the Lord our God will call."

** Peter's sermon included verse 39 which was taken from Joel 2:28-29 and was about the ""promise of the Holy Spirit"" that was to be “”given to the Jews.”” Verse 39 was to assure the Jews that their sin of rejecting Jesus would be forgiven and that they would also be given the Holy Spirit (see verse 38). Joel 2:28-3:1

Many theologians teach that Peter was including the Gentiles in verse 39. But how can that be true since it was necessary for God to give Peter a dream to teach him that the Gentiles were included. Acts 10:9-16

Although it was the Gentiles that actually killed Jesus they did it because the Jews insisted. The Gentiles did not need to repent for what the Jews did. Jesus was not sent to the Gentiles therefore the Gentiles had not rejected Him. (Matt 10:5-7) (Matt 15:23-24) (Rom 15:8)

Matthew 27:24-25 (NKJV)
24 When Pilate saw that he could not prevail at all, but rather that a tumult was rising, he took water and washed his hands before the multitude, saying, "I am innocent of the blood of this just Person. You see to it."

Note this verse:
25 And all the people answered and said, "His blood be on us and on our children."
** Verse 25 above is important.

Peter's sermon has been used as a blanket sermon about repenting and being water baptized in the grace church. It has become a “FORMULA” to be repeated in order to be saved. I know that some will reject this writing. But IMHO I don't think Peter's sermon is appropriate or valid for this age of grace and those that use it are preaching a sermon that was preached to the Jews, those that had Christ crucified, as if it also applies to the Gentiles. IMHO, that is a blatant falsehood because it is not the truth.

Then how is one saved in this age of God’s grace? Rom 10:5-13
5 For Moses writes about the righteousness which is of the law, "The man who does those things shall live by them."
6 “””But””” the righteousness of faith speaks in this way, "Do not say in your heart, 'Who will ascend into heaven?'" (that is, to bring Christ down from above)
7 or, "'Who will descend into the abyss?'" (that is, to bring Christ up from the dead).

8 But what does it say? "The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart" (that is, the word of faith which we preach):
9 that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.
10 For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
11 For the Scripture says, "Whoever believes on Him will not be put to shame."
12 For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek, for the same Lord over all is rich to all who call upon Him.
13 For "whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved." NKJV

Rom 10: 8-13 is the message (gospel) of God's grace and how mankind responds to it today. There is nothing in Rom 10:5-13 about an act of water baptism or repentance. But no man goes to Jesus unless the Holy Spirit convicts that man of his sinfulness.

Richard

Pelaides

Jul 30, 2012
There is really nothing wrong with the practise of baptism,you seem to forget that Jesus himself was baptised by John.I think we should continue following his example.

Trekson

Jul 24, 2012
Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Richard, Your words: "Peter's sermon has been used as a blanket sermon about repenting and being water baptized in the grace church. It has become a “FORMULA” to be repeated in order to be saved. I know that some will reject this writing. But IMHO I don't think Peter's sermon is appropriate or valid for this age of grace and those that use it are preaching a sermon that was preached to the Jews, those that had Christ crucified, as if it also applies to the Gentiles. IMHO, that is a blatant falsehood because it is not the truth."

"There is nothing in Rom 10:5-13 about an act of water baptism or repentance."

There are very few denominations who consider water baptism to be a salvation issue. Most do not believe it is a formula to be "saved". Baptists are probably an obvious exception to this. Paul does mention water baptism in several places, Rom. 6:4, Eph. 4:5, Col. 2:12 and of course there is the great commission of Matt. 28:19.

Water baptism is a symbolic gesture meaning that we identify with His death and are resurrected to new life. Usually this is done as a public expression of faith, but it doesn't have to be public as the story of Phillip and the eunuch shows.

Repentance is a pretty basic foundation of christianity, one can't get saved without it. Peter's sermon was about far more than just repenting for refusing their Messiah. He was showing the substitutional aspect of what Christ has done in regards to sin. Repentance just basically means we change our way of thinking. We go from being self-centered to being Christ-centered. What we once thought was okay, we now realize is not and we change our attitudes to reflect Christ's point of view to others and ourselves.

I think one could get to heaven without being baptized unless the motivation was embarassment as being recognized as a christian. In that case, Christ's words about those being ashamed of Him and then He being ashamed of them applies. However, repentance is essential to becoming a christian.

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
I snipped part of Richards post (below) and that is what stood out for me .... I had never considered it that way previously .... now that I have .... I tend to agree (with Richard)

36 "Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly that God has made this Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord and Christ."
37 Now when they heard this, they were cut to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, "Men and brethren, what shall we do?"

** Peter tells the Jews they have crucified the Lord of Glory. The Jews wanted to know what they could do to atone """for crucifying Jesus."""

38 ""THEN"" Peter said to “”THEM,”” "Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

** Note: Verse 38 is a DIRECT answer to the question in verse 37. The Jews were to repent of rejecting Jesus and having Him crucified. ---

RichardBurger

Jan 23, 2008
Southeast USA
I snipped part of Richards post (below) and that is what stood out for me .... I had never considered it that way previously .... now that I have .... I tend to agree (with Richard)

You are like a ray of sunshine to me. I have been on forums for many years trying to get people to see what the scriptures actually say. For you to see what I have seen is wonderful. People like you make my efforts worthwhile.
Thanks