Philip. 2:5-6

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Avagabond

Feb 22, 2022
Thunder Bay Ontario
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Canada
I was reading through statements of faith and was wondering:
If The Father Son and Holy Ghost are all equal (which I would agree according to scripture) then what about Paul’s statement “let this mind be in you” and goes on to say Jesus Christ is equal to God. Are christians also equal? They are considered “children”?

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was reading through statements of faith and was wondering:
If The Father Son and Holy Ghost are all equal (which I would agree according to scripture) then what about Paul’s statement “let this mind be in you” and goes on to say Jesus Christ is equal to God. Are christians also equal? They are considered “children”?

If you're saying this scripture is saying Jesus is equal to God then you're not even trying to read what this scripture is saying, because this scripture isn't saying that. This Scripture is telling Christians to follow the example of humility that was in Jesus mind.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
So the son of God is not equal to God? I was taking that concept from this sites “statement of faith”.
Hello Avagabond, and Welcome. Since Barney Bright is a Jehovah's Witness, expect him to deny the deity of Christ at every opportunity.

Back to your OP, it is not making much sense. Yes Jesus is God, and Christians are "in Christ" but that does not make us either "God" or "gods". Yes, Christians are children of God, heirs of God, and joint heirs with Christ. But the distinction remains since Christians are creatures while Jesus is the Creator.

Reactions: amigo de christo

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So the son of God is not equal to God?
I was taking that concept from this sites “statement of faith”.

The true Christian faith doesn't deny scripture. The scripture at Philippians 2:5,6 is telling Christians to follow the example of Jesus Christ regarding humility. At Philippians 2: 1-6 it is telling us that we as Christians are to be united in faith in the congregation (Church) we are to be acknowledging and appreciating the good qualities of others. The Philippians were urged: “In humility, let each esteem others better than themselves.” Then Paul uses Christ as the outstanding example of this attitude: “Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus.” What “mind”? To ‘think it not robbery to be equal with God’? No, that would be just the opposite of the point being made! Rather, Jesus, who ‘esteemed God as better than himself,’ would never ‘grasp for equality with God,’ but instead he “humbled himself, becoming obedient unto death.” So although Jesus was in Gods form he never snatched at the idea that he was equal to God. What a fine outstanding example of humility. That example of humility that was in Jesus mind we are to have that kind of humility regarding each other, in the congregation, that others are superior to us.