Physical and Spiritual churches defined:

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Church:
In the early centuries of Christianity, “church” meant the community of all Christians. But in 1054, a split occurred between Christians in Western Europe and those in Eastern Europe and western Asia. The communities in Eastern Europe and western Asia became known as the Eastern Orthodox churches. ----- The early Christians had no physical church buildings because they feared persecution from the Roman rulers. They met secretly in private homes and in underground passages called catacombs.

Taken from “The World Book Encyclopedia.”

Church:
a building set apart or consecrated for public worship especially one for Christian worship.
the ecclesiastical government of a particular religious group.
the profession of the clergy; clerical profession.
having to do with organized Christian worship.

Taken from Webster’s New World Dictionary

The physical, organized, Church ran by men:

The above definitions define the physical, organized, Church run by men. The Physical Church is an organization located at a physical place. It is the building and furniture located in the building. There are usually rooms for offices with desks, phones, etc. There are people in these offices that are paid, or volunteer, to carry out the business of the physical organization. There is a leader (CEO) who is called by names such as Pastor, Bishop, Priest, and Pope. The leaders of the physical Church set up the doctrines of the Church for all the common people that go there. They are the leaders or rulers. The common people are there to support the physical church by their money, time, and voluntary service but they do not have a say as to the doctrines of the Church leaders.

The Spiritual church:

The spiritual church is not made with human hands It has no physical location. “””Nor does it have any physical business to perform. It is not of this world.”””

The Spiritual church is in the hearts of each and every child of God. The child of God has been born of the Holy Spirit and is no longer a physical part of this world. The person lives in a body of flesh but it is not his home. The following scriptures support my conclusions.

1 Pet 2:4-5
4 As you come to him, the living Stone-- rejected by men but chosen by God and precious to him--
5 you also, like living stones, are being built into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood, offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.
(NIV)

The true church is a Spiritual house. The church has this in common with the Jewish Temple of the O.T. in that it is the dwelling place of God on earth. But it is contrasted with the Temple, a physical, tangible, perishable materials. The church is a structure built of living stones.

John 18:36 Jesus speaking
36 Jesus answered, "My kingdom is not of this world. If My kingdom were of this world, My servants would fight, so that I should not be delivered to the Jews; but **now** My kingdom is not from here."

Now = not at this moment

John 17:14-16 Jesus speaking
14 "I have given them Your word; and the world has hated them because they are not of the world, just as I am not of the world.
15 "I do not pray that You should take them out of the world, but that You should keep them from the evil one.
16 "They are not of the world, just as I am not of the world.
(NKJ)

Col 2:20
20 Therefore, if you died with Christ from the basic principles of the world, why, as though living in the world, do you subject yourselves to regulations--
(NKJ)

John 3:8 Jesus speaking
8 "The wind blows where it wishes, and you hear the sound of it, but cannot tell where it comes from and where it goes. So is everyone who is born of the Spirit."
(NKJ)

1 Cor 2:13-14
13 These things we also speak, not in words which man's wisdom teaches but which the Holy Spirit teaches, comparing spiritual things with spiritual.
14 But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
(NKJ)

The true church is a spiritual one. It is not made with human hands or human works.

Acts 17:24-25
24 "The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands.
25 And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else.
(NIV)

Heb 9:11
11 When Christ came as high priest of the good things that are already here, he went through the greater and more perfect tabernacle that is not man-made, that is to say, not a part of this creation.
(NIV)

I have often wondered why men want a physical Church and I think it is because they can control a physical Church. They don’t have to be honest with a physical organized church. They can make it whatever they choose to make it. I think that is what John was expressing in John 3:19-21

19 And this is the condemnation, that the light has come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.
20 For everyone practicing evil hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his deeds should be exposed.
21 But he who does the truth comes to the light, that his deeds may be clearly seen, that they have been done in God."
NKJV

Man cannot control a Spiritual church. It exists in the hearts of God's children and God sees into everyone’s heart.

In Christian love, Richard

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Church:
In the early centuries of Christianity, “church” meant the community of all Christians. But in 1054, a split occurred between Christians in Western Europe and those in Eastern Europe and western Asia. The communities in Eastern Europe and western Asia became known as the Eastern Orthodox churches. ----- The early Christians had no physical church buildings because they feared persecution from the Roman rulers. They met secretly in private homes and in underground passages called catacombs.

Taken from “The World Book Encyclopedia.”

Church:
a building set apart or consecrated for public worship especially one for Christian worship.
the ecclesiastical government of a particular religious group.
the profession of the clergy; clerical profession.
having to do with organized Christian worship.

Taken from Webster’s New World Dictionary

The physical, organized, Church ran by men:

The above definitions define the physical, organized, Church run by men. The Physical Church is an organization located at a physical place. It is the building and furniture located in the building. There are usually rooms for offices with desks, phones, etc. There are people in these offices that are paid, or volunteer, to carry out the business of the physical organization. There is a leader (CEO) who is called by names such as Pastor, Bishop, Priest, and Pope. The leaders of the physical Church set up the doctrines of the Church for all the common people that go there. They are the leaders or rulers. The common people are there to support the physical church by their money, time, and voluntary service but they do not have a say as to the doctrines of the Church leaders.

The Spiritual church:

The spiritual church is not made with human hands It has no physical location. “””Nor does it have any physical business to perform. It is not of this world.”””

The Spiritual church is in the hearts of each and every child of God. The child of God has been born of the Holy Spirit and is no longer a physical part of this world. The person lives in a body of flesh but it is not his home. The following scriptures support my conclusions.

1 Pet 2:4-5
4 As you come to him, the living Stone-- rejected by men but chosen by God and precious to him--
5 you also, like living stones, are being built into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood, offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.
(NIV)

The true church is a Spiritual house. The church has this in common with the Jewish Temple of the O.T. in that it is the dwelling place of God on earth. But it is contrasted with the Temple, a physical, tangible, perishable materials. The church is a structure built of living stones.

John 18:36 Jesus speaking
36 Jesus answered, "My kingdom is not of this world. If My kingdom were of this world, My servants would fight, so that I should not be delivered to the Jews; but **now** My kingdom is not from here."

Now = not at this moment

John 17:14-16 Jesus speaking
14 "I have given them Your word; and the world has hated them because they are not of the world, just as I am not of the world.
15 "I do not pray that You should take them out of the world, but that You should keep them from the evil one.
16 "They are not of the world, just as I am not of the world.
(NKJ)

Col 2:20
20 Therefore, if you died with Christ from the basic principles of the world, why, as though living in the world, do you subject yourselves to regulations--
(NKJ)

John 3:8 Jesus speaking
8 "The wind blows where it wishes, and you hear the sound of it, but cannot tell where it comes from and where it goes. So is everyone who is born of the Spirit."
(NKJ)

1 Cor 2:13-14
13 These things we also speak, not in words which man's wisdom teaches but which the Holy Spirit teaches, comparing spiritual things with spiritual.
14 But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
(NKJ)

The true church is a spiritual one. It is not made with human hands or human works.

Acts 17:24-25
24 "The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands.
25 And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else.
(NIV)

Heb 9:11
11 When Christ came as high priest of the good things that are already here, he went through the greater and more perfect tabernacle that is not man-made, that is to say, not a part of this creation.
(NIV)

I have often wondered why men want a physical Church and I think it is because they can control a physical Church. They don’t have to be honest with a physical organized church. They can make it whatever they choose to make it. I think that is what John was expressing in John 3:19-21

19 And this is the condemnation, that the light has come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.
20 For everyone practicing evil hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his deeds should be exposed.
21 But he who does the truth comes to the light, that his deeds may be clearly seen, that they have been done in God."
NKJV

Man cannot control a Spiritual church. It exists in the hearts of God's children and God sees into everyone’s heart.

In Christian love, Richard

Agree. The local church is the local gathering of born-again believers. No building required.

The universal church's spirits of all the loving and dead saints. They are gathered in Christ by the Holy Spirit.

Mike Dwight

Mar 15, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus preached at the synagogue, so, some interpretation required. the holy sabbath is sunday. church only appears once I think. Wait a sec, the letters of Paul to the 7 churches in Asia (minor)? So all the Rome lovers explain this gladiator slave persecution story of Rome when the Bible shows the churches in Anatolian Greece? Then they're the ones that'd burn you alive for owning or reading Bibles instead of their priests, and then quote stuff they weren't showing people.

False to just group people. People that wouldn't do anything more with Europe rejected the early creeds, like Coptic pope in Egypt, monophysites in Ethiopia and nestorians in Persia. Orthodoxy would only be cast off from the Pope alone by the 800 ad naming of germany as Holy roman emperor.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Agree. The local church is the local gathering of born-again believers. No building required.
Buildings for church gatherings become necessary when there are more than a handful of Christians. We simply do not confuse the building with the people.

At the same time ornate and elaborate buildings are not necessary. Neither are ugly buildings.

Reactions: Acolyte

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Buildings for church gatherings become necessary when there are more than a handful of Christians. We simply do not confuse the building with the people.

At the same time ornate and elaborate buildings are not necessary. Neither are ugly buildings.

My question is why are they necessary? Because man says so?

I know of a church in India of 100,000 people and they do not have one single building. They meet in homes and various places, the key being they do not gather in large numbers at any one time.

In the New Testament, there was only one church in each town and none of them met in buildings. They met in homes which held up to 30 people. So you could have 1,000 believers in that town and they met in approx 330 homes bearing in mind they went from house to house, not building to building.

This is exciting because unbelievers would not live far from a church meeting. They would rub shoulders with the believers all the time.

Some missiologists say the best way to evangelise is to start a church so that you have one on every street.