Please help my head to not explode

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Don't tell me to go look it up because I don't have the intelligence to understand when I did that.

What is a "dialectic"? And if you just go look it up like I did and then try to give me the same definitions I just read, that won't help me.

I need someone who understands it to give me examples, not definitions. What are some examples of a "dialectic." EXAMPLES- not definitions. Please.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I could be wrong, but it looks like a fancy word for "compromise."

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
People that sound different even though they use the same language.

Like Brits, Americans, Austrailians, etc.

Isn't there an "Unlike" for when you haven't first liked?

I mean, really!

:rolleyes:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Don't tell me to go look it up because I don't have the intelligence to understand when I did that.

What is a "dialectic"? And if you just go look it up like I did and then try to give me the same definitions I just read, that won't help me.

I need someone who understands it to give me examples, not definitions. What are some examples of a "dialectic." EXAMPLES- not definitions. Please.

I promise an answer 1" deep, because that's as far as I can go. And if anyone wishes to correct this, please do!

A dialectic is a method of processing information.

Common Hegelian Dialectic:

Thesis:
Everyone who reads the Bible is a Christian.
Is this true?

Antithesis:
I know someone who reads the Bible who isn't a Christian.
Contrary information.

Synthesis:
Some, but not all people who read the Bible are Christian.

This can stop here, or become the new Thesis, each part adding a new fact to the overall truth. We look at each information in light of new information, accepting, rejecting, and incorporating the results in a growing body of knowledge containing each of those parts. This is a method of examination of knowledge, and if that knowledge is substantiated or negated by other knowledge.

@bbyrd's Naive Dialectic, If I'm understanding rightly:

Thesis:

Thesis:
No one who reads the Bible is a Christian.

Transcendence:
There is Christian in everyone who reads Bible (or whatever may actually result)

Information is seen to be incomplete, and contrary, to be harmonized, maintaining each part's distinction, into a growing range of truth. Information is added and absorbed, each piece losing it's own significance in favor of a greater whole. Whether this is true or that is true is not the goal, rather to understand how this and that are both true, thus able to contextualize any event or idea. (I'm winging it here, be merciful!)

Much love!

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I promise an answer 1" deep, because that's as far as I can go. And if anyone wishes to correct this, please do!

A dialectic is a method of processing information.

Common Hegelian Dialectic:

Thesis:
Is this true?

Antithesis:
I know someone who reads the Bible who isn't a Christian.
Contrary information.

Synthesis:
Some, but not all people who read the Bible are Christian.

This can stop here, or become the new Thesis, each part adding a new fact to the overall truth. We look at each information in light of new information, accepting, rejecting, and incorporating the results in a growing body of knowledge containing each of those parts. This is a method of examination of knowledge, and if that knowledge is substantiated or negated by other knowledge.

@bbyrd's Naive Dialectic, If I'm understanding rightly:

Thesis:

Thesis:
No one who reads the Bible is a Christian.

Transcendence:
There is Christian in everyone who reads Bible (or whatever may actually result)

Information is seen to be incomplete, and contrary, to be harmonized, maintaining each part's distinction, into a growing range of truth. Information is added and absorbed, each piece losing it's own significance in favor of a greater whole. Whether this is true or that is true is not the goal, rather to understand how this and that are both true, thus able to contextualize any event or idea. (I'm winging it here, be merciful!)

Much love!

ME be merciful?? YOU are the one who's been merciful to me!

Especially the last part, but all of that helped me. Thanks!

Reactions: Nancy and marks

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
What is a "dialectic"?
Here's the best way to understand it.
1. You say something.
2. I contradict you.
3. Then you contradict me.
4. And round and round we go around the mulberry bush.

"Any systematic reasoning, exposition or argument that juxtaposes opposed or contradictory ideas and usually seeks to resolve their conflict: a method of examining and discussing opposing ideas in order to find the truth".

Philosophers assume they can arrive at the truth through this, but they never do. It is all baloney. So if someone comes along and offers you a dialectical lollipop, just say "No thanks" and move on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ME be merciful?? YOU are the one who's been merciful to me!

Especially the last part, but all of that helped me. Thanks!

You're not the one I had in mind . . . Still waiting for others to chime in.

Much love!

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually, given marks explanation, its kind of how I see the bible...and how people argue. They don't ever seem to come to synthesis, but I do.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Example:
Whatever you ask for in my name, I will do it.

You ask and don't receive because you ask with the wrong motives.

Reactions: Nancy and marks

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So I say I do come to synthesis. But the people who argue verses against each other don't. Because they refuse some of the information.

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Fundamentalistic Christianese" is a good example of a dialectic. And so is "hood slang", or "Valley Girl" language. A particular group's speech reflects their cohesive thinking and esoteric oneness though they may be in disagreement on specifics.

Last edited:

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy

A dialect is not slang...
And it's not an accent...for instance, Americans have a different accent than the English. Northern US Americans have a different accent than Southern US Americans.

A dialect develops because a town is separated from the rest of society.
Persons there don't go to school.
They make up their own words for things...these words could sound like the national language or they could be totally different.

As the generations pass, some of the dialect is lost.
As the society progresses and children start going to school where the national language is spoken,,,we again see a loss in the language of the dialect.

It gets to a point where the dialect is almost extinct because the town has absorbed into the national culture and language.

You want examples?

About 100 years ago the word for Wednesday was: mezzeteme'
because it's the middle of the week,,,and mezze means middle.

Today to say Wednesday the word is: Mercole'de

To say pocket the word is: Tasca
In dialect it's: ghdioffa

The above is for my dialect from a little town that started with about 1,200 persons and is today down to about 400, and dwindling. The big city calls...
comforts call...schools, stores, etc.

Every little town has its own dialect if it's a certain distance from the center where Italian is spoken. I'd say about 15 miles or further.

There's a town about 3 or 4 miles from my hometown.
They speak a different dialect. This is common.

In Northwestern Italy (near France) the dialects sound french.
In Northeastern Italy, not only do the dialects sound german,,,but they speak German.

This is all I can think of.
I speak both Italian and my dialect.

OH MY GOSH...
You said dialectic!!
Well, I'm not deleting all of that!
Take it or leave it...
:)

(I thought it was a strange question)