Poll: Bondservant conversation-starter ear piercing a good idea?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do you think a guy's ear piercing can be a good conversation-starting bondservant comparison?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
justbyfaith said:

The Biblical bondservant aspect is the only reason why I would consider piercing an ear.

So, for guys, who thinks that @justbyfaith 's idea, from back a bit, is a good idea? not a good idea? so-so...?

(Poll also.)

Last edited:

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't really understand what the question is talking about to be honest. :\

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Nancy FYI... did you see this thread/poll? (subject you know about, I guess...:) )

Hi Farouk,
As far as guys using an earring as a way to "witness", in my own opinion it does not seem to be anything others would really ask about as, so many unbelievers have them too, it is the "in" thing. Perhaps if one who is already a Christian and gets one, some at his work place or wherever, might ask him about it and it could be used as an opening. Yet, would not those he works with already know he is a Christian, without ear piercing? I'm fine with it. I have 3 in one ear and 2 in the other. Have not worn earrings in years but...when I got them, it was only to be "like the world", so, no witness there. I just rather have the Holy Spirit open opportunities for me to speak of Him to others. Not to say you are wrong and I am right...JMHO! :)
And my friend, that is all I have to say on this, okay? :)
God be with you!

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I don't really understand what the question is talking about to be honest. :\
@April_Rose In the Old Testament, freed slaves who wanted to serve their master willingly received an ear piercing. This is a picture of the Lord Jesus being obedient to the Father, obedient unto death, even the death of the Cross (Philippians 2; Psalm 40). @justbyfaith thought a while back it might make a good conversation-starter.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Hi Farouk,
As far as guys using an earring as a way to "witness", in my own opinion it does not seem to be anything others would really ask about as, so many unbelievers have them too, it is the "in" thing. Perhaps if one who is already a Christian and gets one, some at his work place or wherever, might ask him about it and it could be used as an opening. Yet, would not those he works with already know he is a Christian, without ear piercing? I'm fine with it. I have 3 in one ear and 2 in the other. Have not worn earrings in years but...when I got them, it was only to be "like the world", so, no witness there. I just rather have the Holy Spirit open opportunities for me to speak of Him to others. Not to say you are wrong and I am right...JMHO! :)
And my friend, that is all I have to say on this, okay? :)
God be with you!
@Nancy Thanks for your comment; and like you say, no need to comment further; but as you point out, for a Christian man whose co-workers know him now as a guy without an ear piercing, for him to get it done might indeed bring them to say, "Hey, did you just...?"(etc.) and he would then have an ideal opportunity to reply, "Yeah, and guess what? in the Bible..." (etc.).

With one Christian man it might even happen several times over and over with different co-workers, friends or family members; some Christian men might think this was therefore an opportunity well worth doing.

Yes, I take your point about being led of the Holy Spirit in other forms of witness.

Ear piercing is such an ancient practice but very contemporary also — like you say: " I'm fine with it. I have 3 in one ear and 2 in the other."

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And actually, I did not suggest that piercing one's ear (as a guy) is necessarily a good thing....only that if I were going to do it, there would only be one reason for it...

Not even necessarily as a witnessing tool, but to declare that I am indeed a bondservant to the Lord (before Him).

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
And actually, I did not suggest that piercing one's ear (as a guy) is necessarily a good thing....only that if I were going to do it, there would only be one reason for it...

Not even necessarily as a witnessing tool, but to declare that I am indeed a bondservant to the Lord (before Him).
@justbyfaith Not that you will necessarily do it but if you did, sounds like you would go for it solemnly and joyfully...

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@April_Rose In the Old Testament, freed slaves who wanted to serve their master willingly received an ear piercing. This is a picture of the Lord Jesus being obedient to the Father, obedient unto death, even the death of the Cross (Philippians 2; Psalm 40). @justbyfaith thought a while back it might make a good conversation-starter.

Oh well I'm sorry,.. I don't really have an opinion on it one way or the other. :/

Reactions: farouk

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have a gold wedding band that has engraved on it: "✝JESUS✝. I do wear it on my left hand, when asked about my "husband"...I just say something like 'I am betrothed to the King of the universe' I get some confused looks, lol...but needless to say, it has opened some conversation, not lot's but...some :)

P.S.
Depending on who I am speaking with, I might quip with something like 'and nobody messes with The Kings beloved! Lol.

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have a gold wedding band that has engraved on it: "✝JESUS✝. I do wear it on my left hand, when asked about my "husband"...I just say something like 'I am betrothed to the King of the universe' I get some confused looks, lol...but needless to say, it has opened some conversation, not lot's but...some :)

Oh, so then you're not actually married?

Reactions: Nancy