poor people

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When it comes to the "Poor", there are 'honest' poor — those who can't help themselves..... and the 'manipulative' poor — those who won't help themselves.

The last person that was renting out my upstairs was extremely lazy and manipulative, and worse in many ways...the worst part about it is that she claimed Christianity, even attended the last Church I went to and was so different there and, she had them all hoodwinked, even the pastor. They are very good at what they do-Lie, Steal and Destroy. These folks I do NOT give a cent to as, they are able bodied yet always crying poor me, poor me. God sure taught me a lesson in recognizing His voice there...and also the one before her, same thing. NO MORE!!!
:)

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When it comes to the "Poor", there are 'honest' poor — those who can't help themselves..... and the 'manipulative' poor — those who won't help themselves.
When I was working in a Social Security field office, I got to where I knew by name many of our manipulating regulars who 'worked hard' to get as much as they could to their own advantage without regard for who their devices might in turn hurt.

Last edited:

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then you would make God a liar, as it was written the poor would always be among you. Matthew 26:11 Deuteronomy 15:11

Jesus was calling Judas out on his false concerns regarding the poor - he was not disregarding them

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
you would like to be poor?

"Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven." Matt 5:3

But having posted that what is God's will for each man? What was His will for the man Jesus who had no place to lay his head?

"And he went a little farther, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt." Matt 26:39

Jesus's cup was to be tortured painfully and to lay down his life for a whole lot of people who were undeserving. What is our cup? Have you decided for each of us what our cup is? What is your cup?

What is God's will for us? Do you know? Do you understand the problem being dealt with in the following verses?

"And in those days, when the number of the disciples was multiplied, there arose a murmuring of the Grecians against the Hebrews, because their widows were neglected in the daily ministration.
Then the twelve called the multitude of the disciples unto them, and said, It is not reason that we should leave the word of God, and serve tables." Acts 6:1-2

Jesus indeed fed hungry people with the Word of God, but he did not go around searching those who were missing meals for their physical bodies. Don't make Jesus into something he is not.

Many Christians may indeed be missing their calling or failing to do what they should, but don't try to change God's purpose to yours. Ask Him rather what is His purpose for you. When you know that and are giving all of yourself to that end, then perhaps finger pointing will be a proper thing.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven." Matt 5:3

But having posted that what is God's will for each man? What was His will for the man Jesus who had no place to lay his head?

"And he went a little farther, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt." Matt 26:39

Jesus's cup was to be tortured painfully and to lay down his life for a whole lot of people who were undeserving. What is our cup? Have you decided for each of us what our cup is? What is your cup?

What is God's will for us? Do you know? Do you understand the problem being dealt with in the following verses?

"And in those days, when the number of the disciples was multiplied, there arose a murmuring of the Grecians against the Hebrews, because their widows were neglected in the daily ministration.
Then the twelve called the multitude of the disciples unto them, and said, It is not reason that we should leave the word of God, and serve tables." Acts 6:1-2

Jesus indeed fed hungry people with the Word of God, but he did not go around searching those who were missing meals for their physical bodies. Don't make Jesus into something he is not.

Many Christians may indeed be missing their calling or failing to do what they should, but don't try to change God's purpose to yours. Ask Him rather what is His purpose for you. When you know that and are giving all of yourself to that end, then perhaps finger pointing will be a proper thing.

Are we willing to drink His cup? Which to me, simply means to be totally obedient to His will...just as Jesus was. Is our faith there yet? Are we too soft? I'd say yes, at least for myself, anyhow. Cannot say I'll ever reach these heights, if possible!... given my age and such. But, He knows we hate sin, there is no pleasure in sin to me but...it seems to happen in my mind more than I like. Judging someone, criticizing someone, retaliating in my mind at someone in the same manner as they too have done to me...these thoughts, as often as they come the faster I repent of them even though they seem to sometimes just flit through! I now look at these as the arrows of Satan.

Reactions: Helen

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
49 Behold, this was the iniquity of thy sister Sodom, pride, fulness of bread, and abundance of idleness was in her and in her daughters, neither did she strengthen the hand of the poor and needy. (Ezekiel 16:49)

what you believe about sodom is true but incomplete

34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.
37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?
38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?
39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.
41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:
42 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:
43 I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.
44 Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?
45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.
46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal. (Matthew 25:34-46)

you can miss the kingdom of God if you "miss" poor people

if i ruled the world, there would be no poor people. it's our duty to help them, not a little help, but help to live well. what i want is covered by the words of Lord Jesus. who is against that? satanists. even God is an obstacle to this idea because we don't respect his law. this should be done for poor people and any human, a bible to read it and help to live well. bible quotes:
Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. (Matthew 22:39)
42 Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away. (Matthew 5:42)
24 Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment. (John 7:24)

Jesus said we will always have the poor with us (Matthew 26 v 11) so, even if you ruled the world there would still be poor people.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are we willing to drink His cup? Which to me, simply means to be totally obedient to His will...just as Jesus was. Is our faith there yet? Are we too soft? I'd say yes, at least for myself, anyhow. Cannot say I'll ever reach these heights, if possible!... given my age and such. But, He knows we hate sin, there is no pleasure in sin to me but...it seems to happen in my mind more than I like. Judging someone, criticizing someone, retaliating in my mind at someone in the same manner as they too have done to me...these thoughts, as often as they come the faster I repent of them even though they seem to sometimes just flit through! I now look at these as the arrows of Satan.
Are we too soft? Can we do it? Alone we cannot walk some of the difficult or even impossible ways God puts before us. Our physical age or frailty has nothing to do with it. Our age with God is another thing, but probably some people get into a 'meat' diet sooner than others.

It is not a matter of asking yourself a question like, 'Could I lay down my life for them to hammer in the spikes like Jesus did?" Don't dwell too much on that kind of thing for you may bring yourself to doubt and effectively tempting God. God can do through you everything that is needed. What you need to do is on a daily basis stay with Him, on His side all the time seeking first things first always. Don't wait until a trial comes to do these things. Do them regularly when there are no really serious trials of which you are aware. Then when a real test [such as one of those Jesus suffered] comes, victory by Him within you is already accomplished.

Reactions: Stan B and Nancy

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I am guessing that when Jesus said that the poor would always be with us...He was indicating that until He rules in glory there will not be a real balance of life.

So, if Jesus has said that there will always be poor people , then we can only do our best to help them , but not expect to see the end of the problem solved before God reigns in all His fullness.

Reactions: amadeus and Nancy

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@bbyrd009 Hey Mark, you see many walks of life , from the rich to the poor...whats your take?

Reactions: Nancy

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
@bbyrd009 Hey Mark, you see many walks of life , from the rich to the poor...whats your take?
um, princes walk and fools ride? lol

but i think rich ppl make poor ppl, more or less, it is a function of being in the world? And unless we should really be living like i dunno tribal ppl or south sea islanders--where this convo would make much less sense, right--which is i guess a possibility, then imo i would seek to be happy with nothing, and meanwhile appreciate how the tension is likely what keeps us moving forward?

weird to me that the reasons for someone being labeled rich or poor have changed from heredity to inventiveness over the last couple hundred years though. Used to be that the rich got rich on the backs of the poor, which is still often true i guess, but then ive met a bunch of ppl who got rich without ever really intending to, just doing what they love, too. And they are not very comfortable with all the money either, most of those types. There is a strange freedom that comes from being poor

Reactions: amadeus and Helen

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
if i ruled the world, there would be no poor people. it's our duty to help them, not a little help, but help to live well.
im pretty idealist myself, but i would say that this is not really practical, and if ppl like us found ourselves running things, first thing we should prolly do is hire a willie for some balance lol. But of course it doesnt work like that, and if you ruled the world you most certainly would not be interested in a war on poor ppl--simply as a function of having become the ruler of the world, right?--which would surely backfire anyway? I mean just get a mating pair of __________, anything, then provide for all of their needs, and see what happens! It is prolly a recipe for making huge numbers of new poor iow

Last edited:

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
i think we got really close--before 1913 or whenever--to a great system, back when exessive profit was taxed at 90%, "a dollar" meant a dollar in gold, and corporations had to justify their charters every 5 years or whatever, or get nixed.

a simple truth is that there are more ppl on the planet than there is gainful employment, in a world where machines can make everything more "efficiently;" so imo a lot of the rich/poor divide is manufactured for us, and we just buy into it.

We already know that if we keep on this track, we will be at perpetual 40-80% "unemployment" pretty soon, or i mean i made those numbers up but just pick some, and imagine this convo in five ten years when virtually no one can get a job, and virtually everyone lives on a gov stipend. Yikes.

Reactions: amadeus and Helen

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
im pretty idealist myself, but i would say that this is not really practical, and if ppl like us found ourselves running things, first thing we should prolly do is hire a willie for some balance lol. But of course it doesnt work like that, and if you ruled the world you most certainly would not be interested in a war on poor ppl--simply as a function of having become the ruler of the world, right?--which would surely backfire anyway? I mean just get a mating pair of __________, anything, then provide for all of their needs, and see what happens! It is prolly a recipe for making huge numbers of new poor iow

Dependent maybe on what lacks. What is poor and in need? How would we see it or view it if what lacks and is poor is those who want to harm us? Not the poor beggar on the street corner which makes us feel good to give a few coins but ...I think it was you who once used an example of someone breaking in to your home and instead of booting them out, instead opening the refrigerator and asking if he needed anything to go with his meal. Again, when I mentioned to you the woman who wanted to plant a barrier of shrubs to keep her annoying neighbor out ...you said something about the annoying neighbor hasn’t given up on helping her yet, or something like that. Like reading your post. Another example would be when Paul mentioned a weak brother ...who is weak? Who is poor? Who is in need?

Reactions: bbyrd009

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
i think we got really close--before 1913 or whenever--to a great system, back when exessive profit was taxed at 90%, "a dollar" meant a dollar in gold, and corporations had to justify their charters every 5 years or whatever, or get nixed.

a simple truth is that there are more ppl on the planet than there is gainful employment, in a world where machines can make everything more "efficiently;" so imo a lot of the rich/poor divide is manufactured for us, and we just buy into it.

We already know that if we keep on this track, we will be at perpetual 40-80% "unemployment" pretty soon, or i mean i made those numbers up but just pick some, and imagine this convo in five ten years when virtually no one can get a job, and virtually everyone lives on a gov stipend. Yikes.

So...just maybe God knew what He was doing when He formed the year of Jubilee, when everyone's debts were forgiven and everyone could have a clean clear start again?

Reactions: bbyrd009

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
So...just maybe God knew what He was doing when He formed the year of Jubilee, when everyone's debts were forgiven and everyone could have a clean clear start again?
ha well i guess that didnt really go over so well with those in power at the time though huh

really i think desiring money is desiring control, and ends up being a way to avoid depending on Yah

Reactions: Helen

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
A friend of mine has defined a "poor" person as some "One who has no time to consider their Navel."

It has nothing to do with wealth.