Pope Francis assures atheists: You don’t have to believe in God to go to heaven

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Saw this on the news, and just wanted to know your thoughts on if this is true? I was under the impression that you have to believe in God to go to heaven. Are there any verses that cover this?

"In comments likely to enhance his progressive reputation, Pope Francis has written a long, open letter to the founder of La Repubblica newspaper, Eugenio Scalfari, stating that non-believers would be forgiven by God if they followed their consciences."

Here's the article: Pope tells atheists: You don't have to believe in God to go to heaven

But it states:

Responding to a list of questions published in the paper by Mr Scalfari, who is not a Roman Catholic, Francis wrote: “You ask me if the God of the Christians forgives those who don’t believe and who don’t seek the faith. I start by saying – and this is the fundamental thing – that God’s mercy has no limits if you go to him with a sincere and contrite heart. The issue for those who do not believe in God is to obey their conscience.

“Sin, even for those who have no faith, exists when people disobey their conscience.”

Reactions: Episkopos

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Rom 2:14-16

For when the Gentiles who do not have the law by nature observe the prescriptions of the law, they are a law for themselves even though they do not have the law.

They show that the demands of the law are written in their hearts, 6 while their conscience also bears witness and their conflicting thoughts accuse or even defend them

on the day when, according to my gospel, God will judge people's hidden works through Christ Jesus.

Peace!

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rom 2:14-16

For when the Gentiles who do not have the law by nature observe the prescriptions of the law, they are a law for themselves even though they do not have the law.

They show that the demands of the law are written in their hearts, 6 while their conscience also bears witness and their conflicting thoughts accuse or even defend them

on the day when, according to my gospel, God will judge people's hidden works through Christ Jesus.

Peace!

So does this support the Pope's statement? I think it does, but it's not totally clear to understand.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In my opinion, we are not to judge others outside the Church.

The Lord who knows their hearts will judge righteously and with mercy..

Peace be with you!

OK, cause I hear a lot on this forum that salvation is from God in faith:

Ephesians 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God

Reactions: Philip James

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
OK, cause I hear a lot on this forum that salvation is from God in faith:

Ephesians 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God

True!

But that does not give us the right to sit in judgment on those that have not yet been given the gift of faith..

Rather let us pray for them, and let the love of Christ so shine forth that all are drawn to Him!

A bruised reed he will not break, a smoldering wick he will not quench, until he brings justice to victory

Peace!

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
True!

But that does not give us the right to sit in judgment on those that have not yet been given the gift of faith..

Rather let us pray for them, and let the love of Christ so shine forth that all are drawn to Him!

A bruised reed he will not break, a smoldering wick he will not quench, until he brings justice to victory

Peace!
I agree with you. But my concern is more that the Pope may be enabling atheists to remain atheist and think they're ok with just good morals.

historyb

Mar 10, 2011
in a house
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
True!

Peace!

Exactly we never know who will be saved. I believe those who have never heard but did acts that were to God will be saved. Let me let CS Lewis explain:

“Then I fell at his feet and thought, Surely this is the hour of death, for the Lion (who is worthy of all honour) will know that I have served Tash all my days and not him. Nevertheless, it is better to see the Lion and die than to be Tisroc of the world and live and not to have seen him. But the Glorious One bent down his golden head and touched my forehead with his tongue and said, Son, thou art welcome. But I said, Alas Lord, I am no son of thine but the servant of Tash. He answered, Child, all the service thou hast done to Tash, I account as service done to me. Then by reasons of my great desire for wisdom and understanding, I overcame my fear and questioned the Glorious One and said, Lord, is it then true, as the Ape said, that thou and Tash are one? The Lion growled so that the earth shook (but his wrath was not against me) and said, It is false. Not because he and I are one, but because we are opposites, I take to me the services which thou hast done to him. For I and he are of such different kinds that no service which is vile can be done to me, and none which is not vile can be done to him. Therefore if any man swear by Tash and keep his oath for the oath’s sake, it is by me that he has truly sworn, though he know it not, and it is I who reward him. And if any man do a cruelty in my name, then, though he says the name Aslan, it is Tash whom he serves and by Tash his deed is accepted. Dost thou understand, Child? I said, Lord, though knowest how much I understand. But I said also (for the truth constrained me), Yet I have been seeking Tash all my days. Beloved, said the Glorious One, unless thy desire had been for me thou wouldst not have sought so long and so truly. For all find what they truly seek.”

CS Lewis - The Last Battle

Reactions: dev553344

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes we don't know who will be saved so we don't judge. But shouldn't the Popes message be more along these lines?

John 3:16

16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

user

Aug 4, 2019
usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree with you. But my concern is more that the Pope may be enabling atheists to remain atheist and think they're ok with just good morals.

Luke 13:3 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

John 3:3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

Mark 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

Hebrews 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

historyb

Mar 10, 2011
in a house
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes we don't know who will be saved so we don't judge. But shouldn't the Popes message be more along these lines?

John 3:16

16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Well the Pope should do a lot different but he doesn't. That story seems rather old though because he said that along time ago but he still confuse the faithful which as Pope he should not do

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Luke 13:3 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

John 3:3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

Mark 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

Hebrews 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Thanks, those verses make it more clear to me.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well the Pope should do a lot different but he doesn't. That story seems rather old though because he said that along time ago but he still confuse the faithful which as Pope he should not do
Oh I didn't realize it was old, the story just came up on my facebook news feed. But yeah it does confuse me.

Reactions: historyb

Jostler

Oct 23, 2020
God's green earth
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Acts 4:12 NKJV — “Nor is there salvation in any other, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.”

Salvation is in the Name....and only one Name. That Name is Jesus

historyb

Mar 10, 2011
in a house
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Acts 4:12 NKJV — “Nor is there salvation in any other, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.”

Salvation is in the Name....and only one Name. That Name is Jesus

No one here said it isn't

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Saw this on the news, and just wanted to know your thoughts on if this is true? I was under the impression that you have to believe in God to go to heaven. Are there any verses that cover this?

"In comments likely to enhance his progressive reputation, Pope Francis has written a long, open letter to the founder of La Repubblica newspaper, Eugenio Scalfari, stating that non-believers would be forgiven by God if they followed their consciences."

Here's the article: Pope tells atheists: You don't have to believe in God to go to heaven

But it states:

Responding to a list of questions published in the paper by Mr Scalfari, who is not a Roman Catholic, Francis wrote: “You ask me if the God of the Christians forgives those who don’t believe and who don’t seek the faith. I start by saying – and this is the fundamental thing – that God’s mercy has no limits if you go to him with a sincere and contrite heart. The issue for those who do not believe in God is to obey their conscience.

“Sin, even for those who have no faith, exists when people disobey their conscience.”

Quite apart from salvation, Following one's conscience is necessary to have a society that functions properly. As in your conscience would not allow you to murder someone. Without such a conscience you would have no qualms about murdering someone.

However, that does not alter the fact that the only way to heaven is to acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord and to follow him. A good conscience will not do that for you.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Quite apart from salvation, Following one's conscience is necessary to have a society that functions properly. As in your conscience would not allow you to murder someone. Without such a conscience you would have no qualms about murdering someone.

However, that does not alter the fact that the only way to heaven is to acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord and to follow him. A good conscience will not do that for you.

Yeah that's what I thought too. And the scripture seems to support that idea.

The scripture quoted by @Philip James in post #2 seems to suggest that a good conscious can keep you from breaking the law and spare some judgment. But the belief I currently hold is that will not ultimately save anyone in the end as there are many verses that say that in order to be saved one must believe in Jesus the Christ and be baptized, etc.

Reactions: marksman

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

But it states:

Hmmm did he say it in English? If he did we got to remember he is a native Spanish speaker, and he may get things mixed up in English from time to time.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Pope Francis assures atheists: You don’t have to believe in God to go to heaven...
OP ^

A Reporter's Headline.
A Journalists Words!
Not the Popes words.
I hate Headlines!

Fact:

Francis wrote: “You ask me if the God of the Christians forgives those who don’t believe and who don’t seek the faith."

TO THAT...who Asked Francis That????

TO THAT...The God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob... The Answer IS No.

"I (Francis) start by saying – and this is the fundamental thing – that God’s mercy has no limits" ...

Uh...Gods Mercy HAS NO MERCY LIMITS?
THEN Francis, Immediately...
Reveals Gods LIMITS, "THE Condition"... "IF".

"IF"...you go to him with a sincere and contrite heart.

Precisely what The God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob Teaches.
Precisely what Jesus Taught.
"IF"!!!

" The issue for those who do not believe in God is to obey their conscience."

No. Your Conscience IS NOT your Heart.
Obey God. Hear His Word. God prepares a man's spirit IN his Heart, with measures of Gods Gift of Faith.

"for those who do not believe IN God" "Obey your Conscience"

Pfft. UGH! An utterly Corrupt message.

Obey God. Hear Gods Word!!!

Glory to God,
Taken

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hmmm did he say it in English? If he did we got to remember he is a native Spanish speaker, and he may get things mixed up in English from time to time.

That doesn't appear to be clear in the report.

Reactions: Taken