Possessions

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
how attached are you to the things you own? Could you lose everything and be ok? Are personal possessions necessary for happiness? Are they a hinderance to faith and our relationship to God?

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Lord sees it fit to provide me with the things I have. Also, I am his, therefore everything I have is his.

I am happy with what I have, and will fight to keep it. But I won't fight with God. Since he gave it, I wouldn't be upset if he saw it fit to relieve me of it.

Reactions: aspen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hello there.
I am sure we all know the scripture in Luke- "And He said unto them, Take heed, and beware of covetousness: for a man's life consisteth not in the abundance of the things which he possesseth."
I can truthfully say that since we became followers of the Lord..we have never 'owned' the best of 'things'.
Some family members have lovely houses and lovely furniture, pictures and things in them..also they have top of the line in cars. They enjoy them and that is good. But their things, leave both of us cold..we've never collected "things." Thankfully we are both feel the same about this. (which makes life easier. :) )
We had the opportunity to buy a house when we were young.
But then, after praying about it...we both felt that we should not be tied down but free to serve whenever God spoke.
Married 56 years, and never owned a house or wanted to. Never owned a new car...God always chose a good and faithful one for us. We have had wonderful cars.
When we felt God speaking for us to leave England ( mid 70's) we sold what possessions we had..and arrived here Canada...with two suit cases each ( out two girls had two cases each as well) We have never wanted for anything.
The only possession that we were/are always very very attached to, is whatever dog we have at the time. :D

Does all that somehow make us more ( or less) spiritual" NO....it is just what God spoke to us for our lives.
Hearing from God 'for me', is a much more valuable thing than that which we hold as 'valuable in possession.'
I would not panic one bit if we lost all of our possessions...but I can't say that I wouldn't panic if I couldn't hear the Lord speaking in my life! :eek: That would be a great test of faith for me.

Just my two cents...

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I used to have an untested opinion on this subject. Now, after being tested, I have a tempered opinion. Giving up possessions is a lot different than having them taken from you. Yes, I know, ultimately, it is God who gives and takes, but the feeling it leaves you is real. It is not the things I miss, it is the way I had to lose them.....yet, it has left me with compassion I never had in the past so there is that.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@aspen ...I suppose ( re my post) I felt if we didn't have many things, then letting go would not be an issue if God asked us to. We have never been tested in having them taken.
I would probably miss a few sentimental non-replaceable "memories"....but doubt it...I've already given my children the things passed down from grandparents etc.

I think it was our first grounding that we had in a little holiness mission that set us on the path we've been on...of 'traveling light'. :)
*I totally agree, giving up possessions is a lot different than having them removed!
May God bless you double for your loss.

Reactions: pia

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
dont own a house, dont own a car, have a bicycle, rent and use public transport, have no money in the bank, live from pay to pay and Jesus always provides me with more than enough, came into this world with nothing and will leave this world with nothing.

Rollo Tamasi

Aug 28, 2017
Inverness, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have everything I need in life.
I have lost much but have gained a great deal more back.
Being out of debt is a big deal.
No mortgage, no car payment, no credit card debt, no personal loans.

But now I live in an old mobile home that we have done over and made it nice.
But it is still an old mobile home.
I own an old car in really good condition, but it's still an old car.
I have no credit card debt because I don't have a credit card.
And it's becoming increasingly difficult to do things without one.

But we are happy to have money in our pockets to give to homeless people, to make specials donations at church as needs arise.
When we had our big house and our new cars and everything else, we were so cash strapped and stressed all the time.
And never had a dime to help anyone because we spent it all on ourselves.

And after this great lesson on how to live a simple life and be happy, there is still that human desire for a nice big house and a fancy new car.
The feelings don't go away, you have to beat them and treat them as an addiction.