Poultices

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
A friend got a spider bite recently which turned into a yucky pussy boil looking mess. He went to the Doctors and is now on antibiotics. He was in pain though so I decided to make a sugar and soap poultice for him passed down the family possibly originating from the great depression or perhaps somewhere else?. Not sure but it worked extremely well drawing out a lot of poison and gunky stuff.

You will need ~ soap, sugar, a binder like water [warmed] and a square bit of med swab/cloth and bandage.

Place equal amounts of [grated] soap and sugar into a bowl and mix with warm water until it turns into a paste. Place the paste onto the swab then place swab directly onto the bite, boil or other infected area. Bind with a bandage and try not to move it too much. If you are doing it at night you can remove in the morning and should have good results :)

The Soap dries out and becomes hard and the sugar draws out all the impurities. When the swab is removed it takes with it, the head [if any] and all the gunk, leaving a clear hollow space where these impurities were. This will heal quickly...

pompadour

Staff member
Oct 5, 2011
minnesota USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
plain old sugar has been used for thousands of years for healing wounds. I have read that some doctors are re discovering it. using it to treat sores that don't want to heal.

Sugar and salt never spoil.
Pomp.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Well my mom used the sugar/soap method on us and also the bread and milk method. It worked really well and saved on having to go to the Doctors particularly since we grew up along way from the closest towns or cities.

So true Pomp ~ bless ya!

heretoeternity

Oct 11, 2014
Asia/Pacific
pompadour said:
plain old sugar has been used for thousands of years for healing wounds. I have read that some doctors are re discovering it. using it to treat sores that don't want to heal.

Sugar and salt never spoil.
Pomp.
Good tip Pomp....i found salt in very warm water with iodine added works very quickly too, and heals at the same time..even in cases of severe infection...just soak a cloth in the solution and hold it on the wound for about an hour (rinsing and resoaking the cloth to keep it warm when needed)...repeat every three or four hours...in two days voila...no more infection and poison, and healing begins...

r4hnsn

Feb 18, 2016
yep brown bread and milk heated over a boiling jug, placed on boil with patch of linen then bandaged. Next day big hole, no pus, no more boil.

But i remember it was a little painful to start with, and mum always tested the heat on her chin. So one day after she was no longer with us and as an adult I made a poultice from memory for a boil on my neck. I slapped my poultice on said boil, but couldnt believe how sore it was. Telling myself to man up, i persevered until it had cooled, but my neck being sorer than when i started i removed the poultice to find i had blisters and burnt my neck in a 3" patch.

Moral of the story is, when it feels wrong it just might be. Not that we live by feelings.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Angelina said:
A friend got a spider bite recently which turned into a yucky pussy boil looking mess. He went to the Doctors and is now on antibiotics. He was in pain though so I decided to make a sugar and soap poultice for him passed down the family possibly originating from the great depression or perhaps somewhere else?. Not sure but it worked extremely well drawing out a lot of poison and gunky stuff.

You will need ~ soap, sugar, a binder like water [warmed] and a square bit of med swab/cloth and bandage.

Place equal amounts of [grated] soap and sugar into a bowl and mix with warm water until it turns into a paste. Place the paste onto the swab then place swab directly onto the bite, boil or other infected area. Bind with a bandage and try not to move it too much. If you are doing it at night you can remove in the morning and should have good results :)

The Soap dries out and becomes hard and the sugar draws out all the impurities. When the swab is removed it takes with it, the head [if any] and all the gunk, leaving a clear hollow space where these impurities were. This will heal quickly...
Does the soap need to be homemade? Or, will any soap do?

Is there any reason to believe this would work on poisoness snake bites?

We used to be able to buy a drawing ointment called, I'm guessing the spelling, ichamathol. It was a black save. It was very good for drawing poisons out of a wound. Especially like when you step on a nail. I can no longer find it. I have found the same black save used by veternarians for animals. It says on the label, not for human use, but it's the same stuff. And I use it when I need it.

I never have used sugar but have used salt to draw out an infection.

Stranger

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
No...the soap does not need to be homemade but my mom tended to use sunlight soap which is perfect http://www.reviewstream.com/reviews/?p=24741or any plain cake of soap that isn't heavily perfumed. I've never seen it tried on a snake bite simply because we do not have snakes in NZ but I guess it could work. It would be wise to not test it out on a deadly snake bite though. Best to get to the hospital first... :huh:

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Angelina said:
No...the soap does not need to be homemade but my mom tended to use sunlight soap which is perfect http://www.reviewstream.com/reviews/?p=24741or any plain cake of soap that isn't heavily perfumed. I've never seen it tried on a snake bite simply because we do not have snakes in NZ but I guess it could work. It would be wise to not test it out on a deadly snake bite though. Best to get to the hospital first... :huh:
Thanks.

Going to the hospital for a snake bite is very expensive. I didn't know yall didn't have snakes. Usually when one is snakebit they are quite a distance from a doctor. So I'm always interested in what one can do for the immediate bite. My thinking is if it can slow the process of the bite down, then it can make it less deadly. You might be more miserable, but still survive. Appreciate it.

Stranger