prayer canceling out prayer?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

lilygrace

Dec 22, 2020
philadelphia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
a woman confides in another family member that about sexual abuse.
this person is praying for a heart change in this relative that she will see the truth. she is praying for herself to know the truth as well.
the other woman is into spirituality as well. she is praying because she sees this woman as unforgiving, crazy and making it up. there have been reports by another relative that this cant be possible cos it didnt hapepn to them. the younger woman feels she is being resented .
God does not seem to be answering either of their prayers apparently.
why bother to pray for any of it for both of them?

Reactions: Mayflower

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God answers prayers that are prayed according to His will. If one member is asking Him for truth, that is in line with His will because He IS truth. The person who is praying selfishly, I don't believe God will answer that prayer.

lilygrace

Dec 22, 2020
philadelphia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God answers prayers that are prayed according to His will. If one member is asking Him for truth, that is in line with His will because He IS truth. The person who is praying selfishly, I don't believe God will answer that prayer.
i wonder if both are being selfish. it is possible both are ttrying to tell God what is true or not?

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
a woman confides in another family member that about sexual abuse.
this person is praying for a heart change in this relative that she will see the truth. she is praying for herself to know the truth as well.
the other woman is into spirituality as well. she is praying because she sees this woman as unforgiving, crazy and making it up. there have been reports by another relative that this cant be possible cos it didnt hapepn to them. the younger woman feels she is being resented .
God does not seem to be answering either of their prayers apparently.
why bother to pray for any of it for both of them?

Better to have hope, because God is able in every situation.

Faith is confident assurance that God can.

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When I was in a similar situation, the Lord taught me to ask for truth by praying according to His Word. That way, I could trust that He would do what He said. It really helps in the battle against denial.

Prayer For TRUTH
(according to Psalm 57:1-3; Psalm 51:6; Jer. 1:12; Is. 55:11)
"Be merciful unto me, O GOD! Be merciful unto me, for my soul trusts in You! In the shadow of Your wings will I make my refuge until these calamities be overpassed! I (will) cry unto You, the most high GOD, who performs all things for me! Send from heaven and save me from the reproach of him that would swallow me up! Send forth Your mercy and Your truth into Every Part of my being! You desire TRUTH in the INWARD parts, and I thank You that You will make me to know WISDOM in the HIDDEN part! I know that according to Jeremiah 1:12, You watch over Your Word to perform it! I have prayed according to Your Word, and I thank You that according to Isaiah 55:11, Your Word will not return unto You void, but it accomplishes the thing You sent it to do! I pray these things in the name of the True LORD JESUS CHRIST of Nazareth who came in the flesh 2000 years ago, the Son of the One True and Living GOD in whom there is NO duplicity! Amen."

And also.....

Declaration of Faith:
Today I reaffirm, that I am a child
of the One True GOD,
and HE gives me GOOD GIFTS!
If I ask for bread, He will not give me a stone!
If I ask for fish, He will not give me a serpent!
If I ask for His truth,
He will not give/send me lies!
In Him, there is NO darkness
neither shadow of turning!
He - JESUS CHRIST -IS
the WAY, the TRUTH, and the LIFE -
and in Him there is NO duplicity!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
When I was in a similar situation, the Lord taught me to ask for truth by praying according to His Word. That way, I could trust that He would do what He said. It really helps in the battle against denial.

Prayer For TRUTH
(according to Psalm 57:1-3; Psalm 51:6; Jer. 1:12; Is. 55:11)
"Be merciful unto me, O GOD! Be merciful unto me, for my soul trusts in You! In the shadow of Your wings will I make my refuge until these calamities be overpassed! I (will) cry unto You, the most high GOD, who performs all things for me! Send from heaven and save me from the reproach of him that would swallow me up! Send forth Your mercy and Your truth into Every Part of my being! You desire TRUTH in the INWARD parts, and I thank You that You will make me to know WISDOM in the HIDDEN part! I know that according to Jeremiah 1:12, You watch over Your Word to perform it! I have prayed according to Your Word, and I thank You that according to Isaiah 55:11, Your Word will not return unto You void, but it accomplishes the thing You sent it to do! I pray these things in the name of the True LORD JESUS CHRIST of Nazareth who came in the flesh 2000 years ago, the Son of the One True and Living GOD in whom there is NO duplicity! Amen."

And also.....

Declaration of Faith:
Today I reaffirm, that I am a child
of the One True GOD,
and HE gives me GOOD GIFTS!
If I ask for bread, He will not give me a stone!
If I ask for fish, He will not give me a serpent!
If I ask for His truth,
He will not give/send me lies!
In Him, there is NO darkness
neither shadow of turning!
He - JESUS CHRIST -IS
the WAY, the TRUTH, and the LIFE -
and in Him there is NO duplicity!
@TLHKAJ Ties in also with John 17.17: "Sanctify them through Thy truth: Thy word is truth". :)

Reactions: TLHKAJ

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Because you care about one or more of them?

Because you want the right thing (whatever that may be) to be done?
The person should pray not only to discover the truth, but the also the courage to do the right thing once the truth is known. There is a moral obligation to protect a vulnerable party from a predator, and that may require intervention from Law Enforcement and all the consequences thereof. There is also a moral obligation to protect the innocent from false accusations, especially ones that can ruin lives.

Doing the right thing isn't always easy.

lilygrace

Dec 22, 2020
philadelphia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The person should pray not only to discover the truth, but the also the courage to do the right thing once the truth is known. There is a moral obligation to protect a vulnerable party from a predator, and that may require intervention from Law Enforcement and all the consequences thereof. There is also a moral obligation to protect the innocent from false accusations, especially ones that can ruin lives.

that could be part of the issue. the one person is praying because they believe its a false accusation and kind of hate the other person and see them as someone to deal with.

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
that could be part of the issue. the one person is praying because they believe its a false accusation and kind of hate the other person and see them as someone to deal with.
It's a hard reality that sometimes truth causes division.

lilygrace

Dec 22, 2020
philadelphia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
basically in a nutshell. if someone or two other people claimed the same happened to them this person would be worth believing.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was in a similar situation. I wasn't believed when I said I was sexually abused. Im unsure if my sibling came forward or not, but I'm concerned anyway what would happen if they had believed me, since they take care of my dad now. While I prayed the Truth be known, I think it worked out for the good. I can't have him around my family as an alcoholic, but still care about him as my dad.

I don't know. I think prayer is opening our hearts up to God. He cares. He doesn't always answer the way we want or think we need. I am grateful God does know the Truth of every matter though and knows the best for every situation no matter how hard it is.