prayer for eye contact difficulty

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

thelord's_pearl

May 1, 2021
O`nowhere you have to know
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
hi everyone, I would like prayer for this eye contact difficulty I have. I get anxiety. I pray and hope for this horror to be healed in this lifetime. almost everything revolves around eye contact so I would like prayer that I will be healed and can always do eye contact and soon. I have eye contact difficulty from social anxiety. Thanks a whole lot! I have been having a lot of prayer requests lately. This would be all unless anything else comes up which I don't think there would be. Thanks extraordinarily :)

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
hi everyone, I would like prayer for this eye contact difficulty I have. I get anxiety. I pray and hope for this horror to be healed in this lifetime. almost everything revolves around eye contact so I would like prayer that I will be healed and can always do eye contact and soon. I have eye contact difficulty from social anxiety. Thanks a whole lot! I have been having a lot of prayer requests lately. This would be all unless anything else comes up which I don't think there would be. Thanks extraordinarily :)
Understood TLP,
I too was like that once and it is debilitation and can make one even more anxious. I will pray The Lord give you courage to look straight in someone's eyes. Here is something that could be a little exercise: When walking past folks in the store or on the sidewalk. Keep your head high, look them in the eye and smile and say hello. Huge difference than walking with head down, people really respond to that and, you never know, you just might make someone's day.
God bless sister.

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I had this problem also since I was small. For me, it was due to major trauma in my life. When I began facing the wounds created by past trauma and allowing God to heal, the timidity and anxiety with eye contact and speaking to people began to lessen and lessen until now, I rarely have an issue. And if I do have some remnant show up now and then, I am able to push past it quite easily. Idk what is at the root of your social anxiety, but it may be a good idea to ask the Lord to reveal anything that you need to see or know in order to heal that anxiousness. I am praying.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Praying for you!

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think keeping a clear conscience helps with eye contact.

thelord's_pearl

May 1, 2021
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Thanks everyone for all your replies and being open about yourself and eye contact difficulty. If I look into someone's eyes, I can do it at times but it's not comfortable, sometimes when it's unconsciously then it's pretty fine but I think I still have some tension somewhere I'm not really aware of. And if I try to just look even when I'm anxious then I can get looking weird like with my eyes narrowing forward and tension b/t my eyes and looking distressed or something but I found if I imagine looking people in the eyes and then cry it out then it might help me not have eye contact difficulty/anxiety anymore. My eye contact started and is the result of going to a Junior High School where there were snobby/judgmental people.

Last edited:
Reactions: DuckieLady

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks...

That is me as of this past Wednesday. The beard is new for me. I shaved my last one at my wife's request a few years into our marriage. Now at her suggestion, after 50 years it's back, but the hair on the top seems to have finished its course...
Guys can compensate, gals can't :Laughingoutloud:

Reactions: amadeus

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'll pray for you, too.

I struggled with the same thing. It can be hard.

Im watching this just because reading this made me curious and i think it's interesting... Maybe it would help you.

thelord's_pearl

May 1, 2021
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hi LadyofFireandLace, I will see if I like the video and if it would help me. Thanks so much for trying to help. I tried imagining looking at certain people and crying and I did cry but I don't know if it helped me any or at all. Just to be clear, I said I will pray for myself but I didn't mean that I only wanted to pray for myself. I meant I wanted prayers too. Thanks everyone.

Reactions: amadeus

thelord's_pearl

May 1, 2021
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hey LadyofFireandLace and everyone else who looking at this thread and cares, I watched it! I wasn't optimistic that any video could help me but this one has potential. I felt it could probably help me. I'll try it! I like how it says you have to quiet down your brain and then you could look at people and you have to have enough self-esteem, build your self-esteem! One of the things I didn't notice about myself was that I never quiet down my brain and say to myself, "there's nothing wrong with how you look."! Especially, especially in that sentence is I never quieted down my brain! bc my brain will probably automatically go in accordance with past memory inside of being looked down upon by my presence in the past, about the way I looked and I had damaged hair after, etc at one point at the time and kept it in and didn't express it out, didn't express myself, and that's why subconsciously I'm always having anxiety and I never quieted down my brain and said the truth "there's nothing wrong with the way you look."

I hope this video helps me at least a bit more with eye contact difficulty/anxiety! Thanks so extraordinarily LadyofFireandLace 'cause when I have this eye contact anxiety I feel abnormal and that normal people think I'm crazy or something and don't want to be around me or my friend even though everything else is normal and this abnormality comes from the negative school experiences I had in Junior High but it probably can be fixed. :)

Last edited:

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hey LadyofFireandLace and everyone else who looking at this thread and cares, I watched it! I wasn't optimistic that any video could help me but this one has potential. I felt it could probably help me. I'll try it! I like how it says you have to quiet down your brain and then you could look at people and you have to have enough self-esteem, build your self-esteem! One of the things I didn't notice about myself was that I never quiet down my brain and say to myself, "there's nothing wrong with how you look."! Especially, especially in that sentence is I never quieted down my brain! bc my brain will probably automatically go in accordance with past memory inside of being looked down upon by my presence in the past, about the way I looked and I had damaged hair, etc at one point at the time and kept it in and didn't express it out, didn't express myself, and that's why subconsciously I'm always having anxiety and I never quieted down my brain and said the truth "there's nothing wrong with the way you look."

I hope this video helps me at least a bit more with eye contact difficulty/anxiety! Thanks so extraordinarily LadyofFireandLace 'cause when I have this eye contact anxiety I feel abnormal and that normal people think I'm crazy or something and don't want to be around me or my friend even though everything else is normal and this abnormality comes from the negative school experiences I had in Junior High but it probably can be fixed. :)
I feel you @thelord's_pearl

I am glad if it helps! In high school, I struggled a lot with eye contact. My teacher got on me for it a lot. Even her telling me made it more difficult.

Actually I still do, and I think one reason is **for me** I feel highly vulnerable and it feels really awkward and it used to make me forget what I was going to say.

Also partly because my eyes would burn when I tried to focus, but it turned out to be related to dry eye syndrome from a lack of Omega 3. o_O

Reactions: thelord's_pearl

thelord's_pearl

May 1, 2021
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Update:
I tried the tactic and it helped me, not totally but quite a lot better. I'm so happy about that but I still feel quite a bit awkward, other times it felt natural. Thanks so extraordinarily LadyofFireandLace!
I would still like prayer that I will not feel or be awkward at all, to be completely natural and healed of this eye contact anxiety difficulty. I just practiced it last night and today. It probably needs more practice and some counseling which I want to go to some time but I saw improvement right away after I watched and learned from the video! Thanks so extraordinarly everyone!

thelord's_pearl

May 1, 2021
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

I am glad if it helps! In high school, I struggled a lot with eye contact. My teacher got on me for it a lot. Even her telling me made it more difficult.

Actually I still do, and I think one reason is **for me** I feel highly vulnerable and it feels really awkward and it used to make me forget what I was going to say.

Also partly because my eyes would burn when I tried to focus, but it turned out to be related to dry eye syndrome from a lack of Omega 3. o_O
@LadyofFireandLace, I'm so sorry to hear of your experience with your teacher, some people just don't understand. And I'm so sorry to hear that your eyes would burn. Luckily it got sorted out with Omega 3. Thanks so much.

thelord's_pearl

May 1, 2021
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I mean it helped quite a lot and felt quite a lot natural but there were times I was still anxious and it felt quite a bit awkward. So not that I wasn't natural at any point but I'm afraid that I'd be and want prayer that I'd feel and be certainly completely natural when I look into or at people eyes and not anxious or have any negativity going on, on the inside, in my head/brain actually. lol Thanks everyone!

thelord's_pearl

May 1, 2021
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Oh I missed your middle statement, LadyofFireandLace. I was confused b/t the first and the last part of the middle sentence. I'm so sorry to hear you still struggle with eye contact. I hope something will help you completely and I will pray for you <3