Prayer vs. Advice

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Quite often when requesting prayer for a sick or injured friend or family members, I've been saddened by receiving advice to go to the doctor rather than a heartfelt spirit moved prayer.

Having been a Christian baptized in the Holy Spirit for 40 years I do have discernment enough to know what to do in these situations. I have seen God heal through prayers multitudes of times. There have also been many times that doctors and extensive medical treatment was required. For others such as my children I rush to pray for them and rush them to a doctor. For myself I'm more apt to faith it out if I can. It's not faith to impose your life faith upon others. It doesn't work that way.

For anyone requesting prayers for healing they should receive prayers for healing. Not a spiritually obtuse directive to "take em' to the doctor". Such unneeded advice is disheartening to those seeking prayer and comfort from fellow believers and it casts serious doubts on the faith of those who point out such glaringly obvious, not to speak of unneeded, advice. Further not all those requesting prayers for healing have the resources to seek expensive medical assistance. This was the case in a recent prayer request for our son who had a serious infection from a spider bite. We had no money or insurance to cover him. Only Medicare for us you see. Actually as it turns out the hospital ER room will allow him to pay later.

Just a short word of prayer etiquette here. I shouldn't even have to discuss this but prayer and advice are two separate things. The first is a necessity the second not required unless specifically requested.

Just a tip. Always Pray whether or not it's requested. You don't even have to post that you prayed but it can be quite a comfort to those needing prayer and healing. It can be discouraging (and cold of the readers) to see that many have visited a prayer request but none at all have messaged that they prayed. If you take time to read a prayer request then it's not much effort to peck out "I prayed for this, God bless you".
I assume by seeing many visitors to a post that many more prayed than posted that they did.

Never give advice unless it's requested. It's can be very hurtful, unneeded and can be offensive to the an already wounded individual seeking comfort. It infers that the person requesting prayer is either too uncaring or too stupid - or both - to consider a doctor's assistance.

After all, any idiot knows that God created doctors and the medical profession eh? Why would I even ask prayer if I know that I'm going to get is superfluous advice to see the doctor?

Thank God for evermore for every soul that takes the time to pray for others here! It is a wonderful encouragement and God's hand has been seen many times through those prayers.

Isaiah 53:1,5 KJVS
Who hath believed our report? and to whom is the arm of the Lord revealed?
[5] But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed

Last edited:

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Frank Lee
Good and correct words.

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." Matt 6:33
If we are really putting always first things first, at least as God sees them what will we be lacking that is necessary? Not one thing! People may think that good physical health and life is necessary but even that is really up to God.

"And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment" Heb 9:27

The natural death those we hold dear to us can be a hard thing, but sometimes it is time.
When it is not time for death or for suffering in sickness and such then God can and will help us if simply ask of Him. So many ask of their doctors before even considering asking of God:

"...ye have not, because ye ask not.
Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss... " James 4:2-3

Reactions: pia

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Through circumstances God has forced our family to believe Him. We have been placed in situations time and again for decades that cause us to turn to Him first - not as a last grasping at straws resort. In the past I saw others in need whom I criticized in my heart. God rebuked me for this and I labor now to discern between those that should be criticized and those that are in need of mercy and compassion. The flesh of man does not yield itself to the spirit of God.
Criticism disguised as advice or spirituality at times of heartbreaking need is just attacking faith and heartbreaking. You can discern the very real lack of care. Criticism disguised as caring advice is a wolf wearing a sheepskin.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@Frank Lee
I think sadly, that in this day and age we are in, more and more Christians seek the doctor. ( maybe most in panic)
I used to never ever go to a doctor until my mid fifties when my blood pressure went sky high.
I refused medication and chose to pray for a few years...then my two adult daughters put the pressure on for me to take the meds. Saying-" Mum you are no good to us on the other side..we need to here, and so do our kids..they said I was very unfair to not take meds and risk stroking out.

So I went on meds. Once I had done that, I found it MUCH harder to receive quick healing's...some healing's yes, but not like I used get them and just 'expect' them.

I admire your stand...I was I was as strong in spirit as you have been.
I am now a mixture...( and yes, God "hates a mixture"..)
I pray first always...if healing does not manifest...off I go to the hospital.:oops:

I think when people encourage us to go to the doctor...it is not to undermine our faith...but in caring and love.

God bless...very interesting thread.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
The line is with the capabilities of medical science. That includes, we'll... not very much.

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
None of us can fully know God. He's way too big. Many times I've received miraculous healing and deliverances while other times we had to make do.

I once drove 45 miles on a totally empty gas tank. The car ran on praise. When I slacked off praising God the car started sputtering and coughing. I'd pick up the praise level and the engine smoothed out! It wouldn't start that evening and had to borrow $5 from petty cash to get home. Another time He stopped a severe toothache nearly instantly. He healed me from severe heart pains 39 years ago. Other things I've just had to walk on.

But He always expects his to seek Him first. Always.

Reactions: pia and Helen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
None of us can fully know God. He's way too big. Many times I've received miraculous healing and deliverances while other times we had to make do.

I once drove 45 miles on a totally empty gas tank. The car ran on praise. When I slacked off praising God the car started sputtering and coughing. I'd pick up the praise level and the engine smoothed out! It wouldn't start that evening and had to borrow $5 from petty cash to get home. Another time He stopped a severe toothache nearly instantly. He healed me from severe heart pains 39 years ago. Other things I've just had to walk on.

But He always expects his to seek Him first. Always.

Amen Frank..that triggered memories.
We did the same re gas in the car..that was back when we were still in England...so it was petrol :)
We came from London down to the south coast on a teaspoon of petrol!
We weren't praising we spoke in tongues all the way home. :) It was amazing.
We had so many other wonderful happenings in God. I wish I had written them all down.

Amen, God is a wonderful Lord!!

pia

May 30, 2009
West Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Amen Frank..that triggered memories.
We did the same re gas in the car..that was back when we were still in England...so it was petrol :)
We came from London down to the south coast on a teaspoon of petrol!
We weren't praising we spoke in tongues all the way home. :) It was amazing.
We had so many other wonderful happenings in God. I wish I had written them all down.

Amen, God is a wonderful Lord!!
I am so amazed..here I was not wanting to share how the Lord helped me with fuel some years ago, wan't sure people would believe it...Hallelujah....so excellent to see two of you with the same testimony...Praise His Holy Name....

Reactions: Helen

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
You are not the only ones I've heard experience the miracle of the multipling petrol.

I don't think it matters the matter, God can multiply it.

Reactions: pia and bbyrd009

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Prayer used to mean Hope, and Hope used to mean Confident Expectation, so these changes might be contemplated as well

4336 proseúxomai (from 4314 /prós, "towards, exchange" and 2172/euxomai, "to wish, pray") – properly, to exchange wishes

Last edited: