Prayer.....

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The one thing I see Americans demonstrate more so than most others who identify as Christians, is their attitude towards prayer.
I see people saying that they will pray for a certain person, or group, or family, or that people will ask others to pray for them.....so I have to wonder what is their expectation when they say this?
Why do Americans do this more than Aussies or Brits? Is it cultural?

What does "I will pray for you" really mean?

What are the kinds of prayers that God hears?
What is the expectation of the one praying?
Are miracles reasonably expected?
What happens when the prayer is not answered?
Does it mean that God hasn't heard?....or has he just said "no"?

Scripturally speaking, what does the Bible say about prayer...?

Thoughts?

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ephesians 6:18 NIV:
And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people.

What kinds of prayers does God hear?
All kinds. Sincere. and Honest.
I'm reminded of when Solomon asked the Lord if he would grant him wisdom to help lead the people. And the Lord granted it to him as well as those things he didn't ask for such as riches and fame. Other's before self. Seek ye first the kingdom of God and all these things shall be added unto you.

What do I expect from God when I pray for others?
That he will hear my supplication for the one I'm praying for.

With God all things are possible.

Not my will but thy will be done.
Sometimes we don't understand why things don't go according to how we think they should or how we want the to.
We can pray for people but God has a plan for the one being prayed for.
Maybe sometimes the Lord has things happen to people to give other people a reason to come to him in prayer.
Just because something doesn't happen in the timeframe we think it should, doesn't mean the Lord hasn't heard and made provision for a future event. We don't know why the Lord does or doesn't do what we ask, because we can't see that far ahead.

I quoted a scripture from Ephesians 18. But there are many more.
Prayer is talking directly to God. I talk to God all the time. Does he answer everything I say all the time?
Probably not, because sometimes maybe I am asking in the heat of the moment or when I'm upset or frustrated.
Maybe the best time to pray for someone else is when you have put aside all of your own wants and cares and concentrate on the person you are praying for.

If Aunty Jane asked for prayer, I would brush aside all my own thoughts about the day and close my eyes, picture this little elf standing beside a ladder and say something like:
Lord,
Aunty Jane is asking for us to come to you to help her with a situation she is having. I don't know exactly what her needs are Lord, but you do.
Please help her in whatever way seems best for her circumstance.
Thank You Lord, for hearing my prayer.

Sometimes people ask for prayers without divulging what the prayers are needed for.
Sometimes they are very specific.
I don't often pray openly in the forum. I'm not very good with verbalizing what I want to say, but the Lord hears me heart concerning the person I am praying for.

God Bless the Prayer Warriors. They know the right words at the right time in most circumstances.
I'm better at adding my support to a prayer than I am leading one.
I'm still training :)

HUGS

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Ephesians 6:18 NIV:
And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people.

What kinds of prayers does God hear?
All kinds. Sincere. and Honest.
I'm reminded of when Solomon asked the Lord if he would grant him wisdom to help lead the people. And the Lord granted it to him as well as those things he didn't ask for such as riches and fame. Other's before self. Seek ye first the kingdom of God and all these things shall be added unto you.

What do I expect from God when I pray for others?
That he will hear my supplication for the one I'm praying for.

With God all things are possible.

Not my will but thy will be done.
Sometimes we don't understand why things don't go according to how we think they should or how we want the to.
We can pray for people but God has a plan for the one being prayed for.
Maybe sometimes the Lord has things happen to people to give other people a reason to come to him in prayer.
Just because something doesn't happen in the timeframe we think it should, doesn't mean the Lord hasn't heard and made provision for a future event. We don't know why the Lord does or doesn't do what we ask, because we can't see that far ahead.

I quoted a scripture from Ephesians 18. But there are many more.
Prayer is talking directly to God. I talk to God all the time. Does he answer everything I say all the time?
Probably not, because sometimes maybe I am asking in the heat of the moment or when I'm upset or frustrated.
Maybe the best time to pray for someone else is when you have put aside all of your own wants and cares and concentrate on the person you are praying for.

If Aunty Jane asked for prayer, I would brush aside all my own thoughts about the day and close my eyes, picture this little elf standing beside a ladder and say something like:
Lord,
Aunty Jane is asking for us to come to you to help her with a situation she is having. I don't know exactly what her needs are Lord, but you do.
Please help her in whatever way seems best for her circumstance.
Thank You Lord, for hearing my prayer.

Sometimes people ask for prayers without divulging what the prayers are needed for.
Sometimes they are very specific.
I don't often pray openly in the forum. I'm not very good with verbalizing what I want to say, but the Lord hears me heart concerning the person I am praying for.

God Bless the Prayer Warriors. They know the right words at the right time in most circumstances.
I'm better at adding my support to a prayer than I am leading one.
I'm still training :)

HUGS
Thank you for such a lovely reply....it just makes me wonder about the cultural aspect, but I guess when you live in a certain culture, you are not aware of the cultural response of others. Aussies would rarely ever say to someone "I'll pray for you" if they didn't know them, or have a personal reason to do so. Its not that we don't pray, but would never just say it as a first response....I mean I see it on FB all the time, like the first thing to say to someone with a problem. Its a nice thought and I'm sure that many like yourself are absolutely genuine....but I get the feeling that for others, "I'll pray for you" is a substitute for actually doing something to help that person....like its the thing you say when you want people to think well of you....but you really don't want to do anything to put yourself out. Am I wrong?

Reactions: Ziggy

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you for such a lovely reply....it just makes me wonder about the cultural aspect, but I guess when you live in a certain culture, you are not aware of the cultural response of others. Aussies would rarely ever say to someone "I'll pray for you" if they didn't know them, or have a personal reason to do so. Its not that we don't pray, but would never just say it as a first response....I mean I see it on FB all the time, like the first thing to say to someone with a problem. Its a nice thought and I'm sure that many like yourself are absolutely genuine....but I get the feeling that for others, "I'll pray for you" is a substitute for actually doing something to help that person....like its the thing you say when you want people to think well of you....but you really don't want to do anything to put yourself out. Am I wrong?
It’s not uncommon to say ‘ I will pray for you ‘ in the U.K. either ….but I do get what you are saying, although often as not it can be to reassure the person that you care about what they are going through.
I often say ‘ I am thinking of you ‘ …
I know for a fact that I can say it and then get side tracked ….which makes it an empty promise.
Where I have a problem is when something bad happens and you get endless posts on Facebook saying prayers for the victims………it’s too late. …….and why do we say RIP when someone passes away , to me that’s like a prayer as well. ( sorry hope that is not being irreverent )
Rita

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Where I have a problem is when something bad happens and you get endless posts on Facebook saying prayers for the victims………it’s too late. …….and why do we say RIP when someone passes away , to me that’s like a prayer as well. ( sorry hope that is not being irreverent )
Yes, I know what you mean.....kind of like shutting the gate when the horse has already bolted.

And saying "Rest in Peace" I guess for some is really a way of hoping that a person is not suffering after death if that is what they believe.

I had James 2:14-18 in mind....
"What good is it, my brothers, if a man says he has faith, but has no works? Can faith save him? 15 And if a brother or sister is naked and in lack of daily food, 16 and one of you tells them, “Go in peace. Be warmed and filled;” yet you didn’t give them the things the body needs, what good is it?
17 So also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.
18 But someone will say, “You have faith and I have works.” Show me your faith apart from your works, and I will show you my faith by my works."

Prayers are good, but practical help is better. Faith is not passive, but active. My point is that prayer is not a substitute for actions.

Reactions: Ziggy

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, I know what you mean.....kind of like shutting the gate when the horse has already bolted.

And saying "Rest in Peace" I guess for some is really a way of hoping that a person is not suffering after death if that is what they believe.

I had James 2:14-18 in mind....
"What good is it, my brothers, if a man says he has faith, but has no works? Can faith save him? 15 And if a brother or sister is naked and in lack of daily food, 16 and one of you tells them, “Go in peace. Be warmed and filled;” yet you didn’t give them the things the body needs, what good is it?
17 So also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.
18 But someone will say, “You have faith and I have works.” Show me your faith apart from your works, and I will show you my faith by my works."

Prayers are good, but practical help is better. Faith is not passive, but active. My point is that prayer is not a substitute for actions.
I believe that we can be the answered prayers……one person gives the situation to the Lord, while the Lord lays it on someone else’s heart to help and sometimes we ourselves suddenly find that we need to act.
Often as not the expression ‘ I will pray ‘ is said within the forum, on Facebook, in emails,text ect….usually when we are not actually in the same place …..there could be distance between the two people, so it’s not always a case of providing the help.
I do think that there is a case that sometimes we say we will pray, which gives God the responsibility to sort things out, when we perhaps don’t consider that we can sort it out ……definitely been guilty of that one !
Rita

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's kind of like sending Get Well cards when someone is in the hospital.
People like to know that they are not forgotten and that people take a moment to bring them into their thoughts.
We've all heard the saying "It's the thought that counts" and it all really begins there.
I believe thoughts reside in the heart and God hears our hearts.

The same as hating your brother in your heart without a cause is as bad as murdering them.
Just because we don't audibly hear the words doesn't mean God doesn't.
David prayed for his enemies demise all the time. He didn't hate them without a cause, he had good reason to hate them.
And sometimes God would give David the upper hand and sometimes Israel would get beaten.
God sees justice short and long term.

When Jesus was talking to Peter about Satan wanting to sift him as wheat, Jesus didn't pray for him in that moment.
He said "I have prayed for you" , which to me corresponds with going in your closet and praying and not blowing your horn in the middle of central square to be seen by people.
That's not saying that praying for someone openly face to face or in a forum is a bad thing.
It's about the "motive" of the one praying. Is it sincere or just for show?
I believe with most people it's sincere. Even if it is only saying, "you have my thoughts and prayers" .
You may have taken a nano second out of your day to say those words, But I believe God records every nano second. :)

How many times should I forgive my brother? is the same as saying, how many times should I pray for my brother.

My dad isn't feeling well and he is staying with me for awhile. We are like fire and water. And sometimes the smoke gets pretty thick.
But neither of us hold hurt feelings against the other. If the conversation gets heated, we always find a way to forgive and forget and move on to the next argument. :)
He has been with me for almost a week. He still isn't walking well. He;s not eating well. And he is tired all the time.
And yet he told me this morning he will be going back with his girlfreind as sonn as he can.
I have plans for him. Get him on a good diet, begin physical therapy, make sure he is clean. And try to keep his stress levels down.
When he goes back, he will be left alone for hours everyday, living in an atmosphere where there is no room to walk, lots of baked goodies, and the water smells like sewer water, so he doesn't want to bathe in it.
I'm concerned.

So as I'm writing this, I know that most people here in the forum, some without even thinking about it, will reach out with their thoughts, and say something in their heart like, Lord help ziggy with her dad. Thank you.

I don't need to know your thinking, because I know God hears you. And that's what really matters.

Just sharing my thoughts
:)
HUGS

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@Ziggy...it must be hard, knowing why your Dad is with you and wanting to create healthier options for him, but then knowing that you will probably be sending him back into the environment that was making him ill in the first place. :( Life can be frustrating sometimes, especially when people should know better than to add to health problems though bad diet in their older age. You body won’t let you get away with it.

I am the career for my 97 year old Mother. She is a most amazing woman, and she has been with me for over 20 years. She is precious to me, and even more so now that she is just 3 years off 100. Her body is getting tired and frail, but her mind is still strong.

I make sure that she eats well and that she has things to occupy her mind. She loves her iPad and plays card games, find-a-word, mahjong and jigsaw puzzles every day to keep her mind sharp. She takes a keen interest in world events but has trouble coming to terms with how the world has changed so much in her lifetime.....and not much of it for the better.

I hope it turns out well for your Dad and that you can get those things implemented so that he can get his health under control. Life is strange sometimes...parents look after their kids and make sure that no harm comes to them.....then when our parents age, it is we who must care for them in much the same way, but sometimes without their co-operation. I am very fortunate to have a Mum who is very mindful of taking care of herself, and I allow her all the independence that she can manage at her age. She would hate it if I hovered over her and just did everything for her.....she wants to feel useful and we have shared life happily together without conflict. I am so very grateful for that.

Thank you for your thoughtful reply.