Prayerful Dependence

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Netchaplain

Ordained Chaplain
Oct 12, 2011
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
While Martha was cumbered about much serving (Luk 10:40), and her love, most true in its way, went forth
in actively providing for the Lord’s outward need, Mary unconsciously perhaps, proved her stronger faith and deeper love by sitting at His feet and drinking in His words.

The thought of Marth’s heart was, “What a feast I must give the Messiah, when I receive Him at my house!” Mary, on the contrary, felt that the best feast for Him, as for herself, was to receive and treasure up all she could from Him—to see, hear and be with Himself.

If we are learning thus from the Lord Jesus, we honor and please Him incomparably more than by anything we think to confer upon Him. In the long run, too, it is the listening at His feet which best fits for the most acceptable worship and service.

But beside the Word of God, we want another element and exercise of spiritual life. By the Word we were begotten again (1Pe 1:3), and then nourished (1Pe 1 and 2); by it we are cleansed, and instructed, kept from the Destroyer and set apart to the Lord Jesus in heaven (Ro 8:9). But withal, we need something more, and that is prayer-fellowship with the Father and the Son.

Without prayer the Word, not being received in dependence upon the Father, may be used as new material for mere mental activity and satisfaction (i.e. false encouragement—NC), and thus my soul may find a positive grave snare. Really to thrive on the things of the Father is from hearing the Word, not just with the ears and mind only, but with conscience quickened and heart freed by the Holy Spirit’s presentation of the Lord Jesus Christ.

Now, prayer is the great means by which we are practically kept in the awareness of the Father’s presence, and the Word is made welcome, profitable and sanctifying. It is the proper expression of our weakness (important to always know we are weak and in constant need—NC) to the Father and of our confidence in His love and care day by day and evermore. Instead of presuming, as men, to enter into the deep things of God or to take and pursue the path of the Cross of the Lord Jesus, we confess in prayer our constant need of dependence upon the Father (for guidance, spiritual and physical provisions—NC).

—John Nelson Darby (1800-1882)

MJS spiritual growth devotional for October 4
“The Lord Jesus’ work on the Cross gave us present entrance into the Holiest of All. What removed our sins rent the veil; and those who believe are positioned in the innermost sanctuary even now. Boldness to enter there on any pretension of our love or holiness, of nature or even divine ordinance, would be shameless presumption. In Hebrews Ten it is calmly claimed for believers, who are exhorted in the strongest terms to approach by faith the Father’s presence without a doubt or a cloud.” - Charles Andrew Coates (1862-1945)