Prayers in "Jesus Precious Name"

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was brought up GARBC Baptist and was discipled from my earliest recollections not only to end my prayers in Jesus name but in, "Jesus Precious Name." I have prayed that way ever since and is my delight to hear others pray that way as well, admitting that the "precious" reference is not required. It is annoying for me, though, to hear others pray and omit the name of Jesus all together, or to hear someone pray, "In the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost."

12 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.
13 And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.
14 If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it. - John 14

Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you.- John 15:16

Then Peter said, Silver and gold have I none; but such as I have give I thee: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth rise up and walk. And he took him by the right hand, and lifted him up: and immediately his feet and ankle bones received strength. - Act 3:6-7

Why go to any other when we got direct access to the Father in the name of Jesus! In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth rise up and walk! And to hear RW Schambach preach on the name of Jesus so well!

Last edited:
Reactions: marks

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And I must say that praying in my methods do not guarantee any kind of instant results. I do like, though, in my preference, to hear Jesus name mentioned in a prayer.

Last edited:
Reactions: marks

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You do realize He was never called J-E-S-U-S, don't you?

Rom 10:13, For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

Act 4:10, Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand here before you whole.
Act 4:11, This is the stone which was set at nought of you builders, which is become the head of the corner.
Act 4:12, Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You do realize He was never called J-E-S-U-S, don't you?

Willie T, you may be right in that English was not a language as we know it, that was in use 2,000 or so years ago, but Jesus is the English word that has been used to represent the Greek word Iesous G:2424. For how many times this Greek word is found embedded in 5 Greek words have a look at the attached file.

Attachments

• G-2424 Iesous.pdf
    417 KB · Views: 0

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So if we don't pronounce it that way, when we call on His name, we aren't saved?
I am simply trying to, facetiously, show how hooked-up we can get on something pretty inconsequential. For instance, as I mentioned elsewhere, some people actually think that to make a prayer "official", we are required to end it with the specific and "qualifying" phrase, "In Jesus' name, Amen."

Last edited:

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am simply trying to, facetiously, show how hooked-up we can get on something pretty inconsequential. For instance, as I mentioned elsewhere, some people actually think that to make a prayer "official", we are required to end it with the specific and "qualifying" phrase, "In Jesus' name, Amen."

No...you absolutely must end it with "For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen." :eek::D:cool:

Reactions: Willie T

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I like this! In Jesus' Precious Name!

Yes, it's something personal to each of us, and we choose the words that seem right for us. I think more than which words we use, that we understand that prayers in Jesus' Name are prayers that Jesus would pray, and that we pray as His proxy.

Much love!

Reactions: Willie T

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And I must say that praying in my methods do not guarantee any kind of instant results. I do like, though, in my preference, to hear Jesus name mentioned in a prayer.
I like that too!

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I now attend Pentecostal Holiness. As there are no Pentecostal Holiness seminaries close by most go to Lynchburg's Liberty University. It is a remarkable, yet delightful, thing for me to hear the preachers who are educated at Liberty end their prayer in Jesus Precious name. My pastor has a Masters degree at Liberty and ends his prayers that way. I am thinking people learned to pray this way from being discipled at Liberty. In which, I dare not go to the Father in any other name!

It is bad when society ices out the name of Jesus! Even at events such as races the minister will get up and pray the politically correct prayer and omit the name of Jesus praying something like “Father, in thy name!” In which case, I will look up the minister and email a grievance shaming him for his politically correct prayer! Will the Antichrist pray such a prayer when he comes on the scene? And a few scripture...

John 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name

Mark 16:16-18 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover

Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. - John 14:6

After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread.And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen. - Matthew 6:8-9

And adding the importance of using the name of Jesus to that prayer...

And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. - John 14:13

If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it. - John 14:14

that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you. - John 15:16

Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall ask the Father in my name, he will give it you. - John 16:23

Hitherto have ye asked nothing in my name: ask, and ye shall receive, that your joy may be full. - John 16:24

CONSIDER... Consider how that the Lord discipled his followers to do their wonders in his name...

And the seventy returned again with joy, saying, Lord, even the devils are subject unto us through thy name. - Luke 10:17

historyb

Mar 10, 2011
in a house
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I always begin and end prays thus: I cross myself saying "In the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit" and to end prayers I cross myself saying "In the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit"

Last edited:
Reactions: amadeus