PRAYING EARNESTLY

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
A while ago as I was praying I had a feeling that my prayers were lightweight and were floating like a balloon above my head. Thinking about it I realised that much of my prayer life was just like that; full of air and lacking substance; just a repetition of clichéd word and phrases; just lip service a lot of the time; going through the motions. It was no wonder I felt that I couldn’t get closer to God, it was almost like I was on autopilot when I prayed.

I have been searching my heart and I want to have a more intimate and close relationship with God but it has to be real and true and not pretend or half-hearted. I need to be grounded; anchored in Jesus; so that my prayers are real and effective; from my heart and soul; from deep within my spirit.

Twice recently I have come across the words 'prayed earnestly' in my daily bible readings so I have been wondering and asking God so show me how to 'pray earnestly'. And looking it up I found there are a lot of passages which say much the same thing.

James 5:17
Elijah was a human being, even as we are. He prayed earnestly that it would not rain, and it did not rain on the land for three and a half years.

I don’t want formulas, I want a living relationship. By formulas I think what I mean is just saying words with no heart; 'babbling'; adopting a certain position at a certain time in a certain place but with no real connection with God. I want my heart involved at all levels. I want my Lord Jesus to captivate my heart. I want my prayers to come from my heart not my head. I want to pray in tongues more; I want to hear God speaking to me; I want the Holy Spirit to show me what to pray and help me reach that place of intimacy with my God; to lead me into a deeper relationship with him.

I suppose this is what we all want too.

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A while ago as I was praying I had a feeling that my prayers were lightweight and were floating like a balloon above my head. Thinking about it I realised that much of my prayer life was just like that; full of air and lacking substance; just a repetition of clichéd word and phrases; just lip service a lot of the time; going through the motions.
I know what you mean, IF my "failings in prayer" is one of my infirmities.
So, I do thank God for #7 in this "study":

God's GRACE in our infirmities!

GRACE And Peace...

Reactions: amadeus and Pearl

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
A while ago as I was praying I had a feeling that my prayers were lightweight and were floating like a balloon above my head. Thinking about it I realised that much of my prayer life was just like that; full of air and lacking substance; just a repetition of clichéd word and phrases; just lip service a lot of the time; going through the motions. It was no wonder I felt that I couldn’t get closer to God, it was almost like I was on autopilot when I prayed.

I have been searching my heart and I want to have a more intimate and close relationship with God but it has to be real and true and not pretend or half-hearted. I need to be grounded; anchored in Jesus; so that my prayers are real and effective; from my heart and soul; from deep within my spirit.

Twice recently I have come across the words 'prayed earnestly' in my daily bible readings so I have been wondering and asking God so show me how to 'pray earnestly'. And looking it up I found there are a lot of passages which say much the same thing.

James 5:17
Elijah was a human being, even as we are. He prayed earnestly that it would not rain, and it did not rain on the land for three and a half years.

I don’t want formulas, I want a living relationship. By formulas I think what I mean is just saying words with no heart; 'babbling'; adopting a certain position at a certain time in a certain place but with no real connection with God. I want my heart involved at all levels. I want my Lord Jesus to captivate my heart. I want my prayers to come from my heart not my head. I want to pray in tongues more; I want to hear God speaking to me; I want the Holy Spirit to show me what to pray and help me reach that place of intimacy with my God; to lead me into a deeper relationship with him.

I suppose this is what we all want too.
When I read the Lord's Prayer I see Jesus blessing God. When it gets down to 'gives this day our daily bread' it sounds like a request that God already knows about....so why ask him?
Alternatively, it can be read justifiably as 'you give me my daily bread, you forgive us or trespasses..'
The later resonates with me more than the former.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
When I read the Lord's Prayer I see Jesus blessing God. When it gets down to 'gives this day our daily bread' it sounds like a request that God already knows about....so why ask him?
Alternatively, it can be read justifiably as 'you give me my daily bread, you forgive us or trespasses..'
The later resonates with me more than the former.
I do sometimes say the Lord's prayer, but not in a repetitive way; I try to think about what I am saying and about our daily bread - our daily needs, spiritual, emotional, physical, material and intellectual. But I mostly prefer to just wait until the Holy Spirit puts something in my mind.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I do sometimes say the Lord's prayer, but not in a repetitive way; I try to think about what I am saying and about our daily bread - our daily needs, spiritual, emotional, physical, material and intellectual. But I mostly prefer to just wait until the Holy Spirit puts something in my mind.
The usual format of a prayer is asking for God to bless someone somehow. In Jesus prayer to his Father the order is reversed; Jesus is actually blessing his Father.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The usual format of a prayer is asking for God to bless someone somehow. In Jesus prayer to his Father the order is reversed; Jesus is actually blessing his Father.
I normally just talk to God as if he was in the room with me. No special language etc.

Reactions: GRACE ambassador