Private Interpretations of Scripture

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. (2 Peter 1: 20)

The context of the Scripture is ministry:

For we have not followed cunningly devised fables, when we made known unto you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of his majesty. For he received from God the Father honour and glory, when there came such a voice to him from the excellent glory, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased. And this voice which came from heaven we heard, when we were with him in the holy mount. (2 Peter 1:16-18)

Immediately following the Scripture is warning against false teachers. (2 Peter 2:1)

True interpretation of Scripture begins with rightly dividing between Scripture that is written, and things of our own mind that is not.

2 Peter 1:20 does not say specifically that there is no private interpretation of Scripture. What it does say in context, is that we should not prophecy, preach, nor minister our private interpretations as Scripture.

I.e. Only Scripture quoted is undeniable truth of God.

All the rest is teaching, admonition, and understanding of Scripture:

So they read in the book in the law of God distinctly, and gave the sense, and caused them to understand the reading. (Nehem 8:8)

And the proper sense of Scripture will always make perfect sense from Scripture quoted.

I.e. a good identifier of false teaching, is when arguments from around the world of culture and original languages must be brought in to persuade and convince such teaching is true.

I.e. just quoting the Scripture isn't good enough, because the Scripture either isn't there, or an average normal sense of it isn't what is being taught.

Reactions: Paul Christensen

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2 Peter 1:20 does not say specifically that there is no private interpretation of Scripture. What it does say in context, is that we should not prophecy, preach, nor minister our private interpretations as Scripture.
This passage is actually speaking of the origin of prophecy.

2 Peter 1:20-21 KJV
20) Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.
21) For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

NLT . . .

20 Above all, you must realize that no prophecy in Scripture ever came from the prophet’s own understanding, 21 or from human initiative. No, those prophets were moved by the Holy Spirit, and they spoke from God.

Much love!

Reactions: Paul Christensen

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This passage is actually speaking of the origin of prophecy.

2 Peter 1:20-21 KJV
20) Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.
21) For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

NLT . . .

20 Above all, you must realize that no prophecy in Scripture ever came from the prophet’s own understanding, 21 or from human initiative. No, those prophets were moved by the Holy Spirit, and they spoke from God.

Much love!
True. The origin is prophecy of Scripture is the origin of Scripture: the true God of heaven and earth.

And likewise in context of ministry, no teaching of Scripture should ever come from the teacher's own mind or interpretation of Scripture.

Prophecy of old was more about declaring the things of God, which is ministry, than about declaring specific future events by God's inspiration.

We can have personal understandings and beliefs: interpretations of Scripture in our own lives, but unless it is specifically written as Scripture and plainly understood by Scripture, we ought not to 'bleed over' our own minds into doctrine of Christ.

And Moses said, Hereby ye shall know that the LORD hath sent me to do all these works; for I have not done them of mine own mind.

Scriptures were not written from men's own minds, and teaching of scripture should not be ministered from men's own minds.

Divisions come when men's own minds are put forth as Scripture itself: I.e. their own word is equal with God's.

That ye might learn in us not to think of men above that which is written, that no one of you be puffed up for one against another.

The end result of preaching our own mind about things of God as Scripture itself, will be the pride of elevating ourselves above Scripture, and become as another head of the body, preaching another gospel of a false christ. It is Lucifer's original error:

Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition; Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God.

Abaxvahl

Sep 13, 2021
Earth
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Divisions come when men's own minds are put forth as Scripture itself: I.e. their own word is equal with God's.

All know this, but no one thinks they are doing it, so ultimately the standard alone is unhelpful to discriminate between positions. We can know truth is one, we can know it's with God, but whether or not an individual is aligned with that is another question, and whether or not we ourselves are... "the heart is deceitful above all things."

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. (2 Peter 1: 20)

The context of the Scripture is ministry:

For we have not followed cunningly devised fables, when we made known unto you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of his majesty. For he received from God the Father honour and glory, when there came such a voice to him from the excellent glory, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased. And this voice which came from heaven we heard, when we were with him in the holy mount. (2 Peter 1:16-18)

Immediately following the Scripture is warning against false teachers. (2 Peter 2:1)

True interpretation of Scripture begins with rightly dividing between Scripture that is written, and things of our own mind that is not.

I.e. Only Scripture quoted is undeniable truth of God.

All the rest is teaching, admonition, and understanding of Scripture:

So they read in the book in the law of God distinctly, and gave the sense, and caused them to understand the reading. (Nehem 8:8)

And the proper sense of Scripture will always make perfect sense from Scripture quoted.

I.e. a good identifier of false teaching, is when arguments from around the world of culture and original languages must be brought in to persuade and convince such teaching is true.

I.e. just quoting the Scripture isn't good enough, because the Scripture either isn't there, or an average normal sense of it isn't what is being taught.
One has to be careful not to accept interpretations of others without first examining those interpretations to see if they are true. I want to give you an example:

From that time Jesus began to preach, saying, "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand." Matthew 4:17 RSV

I do not believe we can understand the meaning of this verse until we repent of our sin, and how many biblical scholars and theologians have done that?

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All know this, but no one thinks they are doing it, so ultimately the standard alone is unhelpful to discriminate between positions. We can know truth is one, we can know it's with God, but whether or not an individual is aligned with that is another question, and whether or not we ourselves are... "the heart is deceitful above all things."
The rule is a warning from God to minister Scriptures only, and any plain sense of them, and not to go on and start preaching things that divide the body over carnal ordinances and 'new' rules to obey, which is how traditions and commandments of men begin to divide and destroy, rather than to build up and help our joy in the Lord.

It's one thing to err in some degree or manner ignorantly in ministry, and have our hay and stubble burned, but another far worse manner it is to preach and teach things that end up causing more harm than any good, and the worst is to actually cause destuction to the temple and body of Christ:

According to the grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise masterbuilder, I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon. But let every man take heed how he buildeth thereupon.

Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you? If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.

People can think they are really smart and righteous in their special ministry, but it is far better to appear plain and simple with Scripture, than to become wise in our own eyes and destructive in our own interpretations taught for doctrine of God:

Let no man deceive himself. If any man among you seemeth to be wise in this world, let him become a fool, that he may be wise. For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, He taketh the wise in their own craftiness. And again, The Lord knoweth the thoughts of the wise, that they are vain.

Simple example: the doctrine of Christ teaches certain things about hair of men and women, and come preacher gets it in their head, that women cutting their hair at all is a sin, and start preaching it as such.

Once someone has their hands in a woman's hair, it fast becomes a very personal thing, so that if a minister can control a woman's hair, he can control a woman's life.

That is to become a dominator of the faith of others, rather than a helper of their joy:

Not for that we have dominion over your faith, but are helpers of your joy: for by faith ye stand. (2 Cor 1)

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All know this...

Do they? Perhaps intuitively, but when is the last time you heard a minister preaching and teaching how people should be aware of them giving personal rules and opinions for scripture, and that they therefore should always be diligent about reading the Bible for themselves to make sure they aren't?

I.e. you should always be double-checking what I say with Scripture..

Much less offering up examples of how it is done, and how subtly it can occur, so that even the preacher doesn't realize it.

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One has to be careful not to accept interpretations of others without first examining those interpretations to see if they are true. I want to give you an example:

From that time Jesus began to preach, saying, "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand." Matthew 4:17 RSV

I do not believe we can understand the meaning of this verse until we repent of our sin, and how many biblical scholars and theologians have done that?

Plenty have done that. But I have seen how much scholarship can intrude upon it. Especially by going to the Greek and the Hebrew, which is not at all necessary to teach the doctrine of Christ.

It all sounds impressive, but is it true:

And there was given unto him a mouth speaking great things and blasphemies...

Abaxvahl

Sep 13, 2021
Earth
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All know this...

Do they? Perhaps intuitively, but when is the last time you heard a minister preaching and teaching how people should be aware of them giving personal rules and opinions for scripture, and that they therefore should always be diligent about reading the Bible for themselves to make sure they aren't?

I.e. you should always be double-checking what I say with Scripture..

All the time. In most Churches I have been to it has been like this, and even dialogue with the pastors on errors they made is possible, and they correct themselves next time in public. Moreover many will say "any truth is from God any error is from me."

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All the time. In most Churches I have been to it has been like this, and even dialogue with the pastors on errors they made is possible, and they correct themselves next time in public. Moreover many will say "any truth is from God any error is from me."
Amen to that. You're blessed.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@Abaxvahl Stated differently, Sola Scriptura is a basic watchword.

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
George Orwell's novel "Nineteen Eighty-Four" depicts a dystopian society
wherein citizens are not allowed to do their own thinking, to the extreme
that a system of thought police is in place to control people's opinions; even
children are enlisted as informants to rat on their parents should perchance
their thoughts not align with Big Brother's thoughts.

For example: were Big Brother to decree that 2 + 2 = 5, nobody would
argue, not even behind closed doors, because nobody can be trusted to keep
your secrets.

Discussions are rare to nonexistent in an Orwellian society because no one is
asked for their opinion, instead, they are given Big Brother's opinion, and its
opinion is the only opinion allowed all across the land, i.e. to debate Big
Brother's opinion is to risk fines and/or imprisonment and torture.

When truth is dictated by a central authority like that depicted in Nineteen
Eighty-Four, we end up with a totalitarian world structured like Communist
China, North Korea, Roman Catholicism, and the Watchtower Society. That is
an inevitable result when people assign a central authority to do their
thinking for them.

And who is to vet the central authority to verify they know what they're
talking about? But once that kind of power is in place, it becomes from
thence self-vetting; which is definitely not a good thing.
_