Prophets

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi. What makes some people think they can still love God and hate his prophets? Do you think you can still love Jesus yet trample over his servant? Do people think the Lord don't care about his servants and prophets?

"Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
This is the first and great commandment
And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself." Matt 22:37-39

A certain lawyer asked Jesus this:

"But he, willing to justify himself, said unto Jesus, And who is my neighbor?" Luke 10:29

Then Jesus related to him the story of the good Samaritan after which he asked the lawyer:

"Which now of these three, thinkest thou, was neighbour unto him that fell among the thieves?
And he said, He that showed mercy on him. Then said Jesus unto him, Go, and do thou likewise." Luke 10:36-37

So are prophets our neighbours according to those verses? According to your answer will we find that answer to your question in the OP.

In regard to your question, we should also consider these verses:

"If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen?" I John 4:20

"And he stretched forth his hand toward his disciples, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren!
For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother." Matt 12:49-50

So then again the question: Are prophets our brother according those verses? Therein also lies the answer to OP question.

Last edited:
Reactions: DNB

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
What makes some people think they can still love God and hate his prophets?
1. What makes you think this is true? Christians love God's true prophets.

2. There are genuine prophets and false prophets. Christians are required to distinguish between the two.

3. Christians are not commanded to hate anyone, including false prophets. But they are to be avoided at all costs, and are not to be encouraged in any way.

4. Today anyone making claims of being a prophet is probably bogus. Jesus said Beware of false prophets.

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hi. What makes some people think they can still love God and hate his prophets? Do you think you can still love Jesus yet trample over his servant? Do people think the Lord don't care about his servants and prophets?
What is a prophet in your mind Jennifer, as far as the ones that you are referring to in your OP are concerned?

Reactions: marks

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The ones the Lord send on thier feet to bring some sort of divine messages to the world etc..
The last prophet to bring genuinely divine messages was John, who closed out all prophecies in Revelation. Today God wants evangelists, pastors, and teachers to do what they have been called to do. Everything we need is already in Scripture (2 Tim 3:16,17).

reformed1689

Oct 15, 2019
Somewhere in the USA
reformedtruths.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The last prophet to bring genuinely divine messages was John, who closed out all prophecies in Revelation. Today God wants evangelists, pastors, and teachers to do what they have been called to do. Everything we need is already in Scripture (2 Tim 3:16,17).
This thread is going to get interesting fast....

Reactions: Willie T

Bobby Jo

Feb 5, 2019
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here's my OPINION: ___________________________________

Yep, it's blank.

So here's what Scripture says to the church:

1 Cor. 14:29 Let two or three prophets speak, and let the others weigh what is said.

We MUST allow the prophets to speak, and then judge if it's of GOD or of man. And if man then:

Deut. 18: 22 when a prophet speaks in the name of the Lord, if the word does not come to pass or come true, that is a word which the Lord has not spoken; the prophet has spoken it presumptuously, you need not be afraid of him.

Or so Scripture instructs! :)
Bobby Jo

Reactions: Truth and Helen

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
1 Cor. 14:29 Let two or three prophets speak, and let the others weigh what is said.
CONTEXT! CONTEXT! CONTEXT! This was written at the time when prophets were present in all the apostolic churches and the Bible had not been completed (therefore all spiritual gifts were active). To make it applicable today would be naive, since there are no more divine revelations equivalent to Scripture. Otherwise you could include Nostradamus in your studies.

It appears that the meaning of prophecy has been corrupted today. But Peter told us exactly what it means: We [THE APOSTLES] have also a more sure word of prophecy [now within the Scriptures]; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts: Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation [ORIGIN]. For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God [THE OT PROPHETS] spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost. (2 Peter 1:19-21)

What did it mean to be "moved by the Holy Ghost"? That word literally means borne along by the Holy Spirit, where every word is a word from God and a word of God. Hence inerrant. Hence infallible.
That is why the Bible has divine authority. And it is more than sufficient for all (2 Tim 3:16,17).

It is also noteworthy that none of the Apostolic Father (among the Early Church Fathers) even claimed to be a prophet. Yet their writings have been unfortunately elevated to the level of Scripture. Today we have people claiming to be prophets who are simply regurgitating what is already revealed, but often contradicting what has been revealed. And they may or may not be "holy" men of God.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
CONTEXT! CONTEXT! CONTEXT! This was written at the time when prophets were present in all the apostolic churches and the Bible had not been completed (therefore all spiritual gifts were active). To make it applicable today would be naive, since there are no more divine revelations equivalent to Scripture. Otherwise you could include Nostradamus in your studies.

It seems to me that you must have a hard time when reading your bible...
A little like picking the petals off of a flower:-
"This bit is for me, but that bit is not to me.."

You must have perfect discernment my brother!! ;)

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

Who are his prophets?
What do you mean by prophets?

Where do you say this is happening?

Bobby Jo

Feb 5, 2019
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Perhaps the CONTEXT is the church! And the church is supposed to have a participatory membership versus having a HIRELING give the "lesson" week after week after week after week after week aft... , well you get the idea.

And in this CONTEXT, we are not only told HERE to "let the prophets speak ... and let the others judge", but we are also told that the giftings are: Apostles, PROPHETS, Evangelists, Pastors, and Teachers. So now are YOU a FALSE TEACHER because these gifts are NOT available to the current church age?

So although you have a particular propensity for what you believe, -- Scripture clearly disagrees. :)

Bobby Jo

PS Not to endorse or even validate Nostradamus, he did get at least one "prophecy" correct, -- which is more than anyone here in this Forum is able to achieve.

Reactions: Truth

Jennifer

Nov 22, 2019
Marksville
www.jenniferdianeaugustine.simplesite.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Right, and there's no Elijah to come *eyeroll*.. but because of your unbelief ... you probably would not recognize that person if they were staring you in the face..

Reactions: Willie T

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The ones the Lord send on thier feet to bring some sort of divine messages to the world etc..
Thank you Jennifer!
...well, there still is the qualifying period. As you know, not all who claim to either be sent, or speak in the name of the Lord, are doing so under his auspices. Therefore, I'm all for denouncing charlatans, to the point that I would say that there are more of those who proclaim to speak on behalf of God, that are false, than those who are valid (of course, there can never be new doctrines or scriptures, that would be clearly satanic).
But sorry, as WindmillCharge asked, what specific circumstances are you speaking of, please don't say Benny Hinn, Joel Osteen, Kanye West, Creflo Dollar, Joyce Meyers, etc... Because I'll be the first to trample all over everything that they stand for?
You must be talking about a different situation?

Reactions: Bobby Jo

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Right, and there's no Elijah to come *eyeroll*.. but because of your unbelief ... you probably would not recognize that person if they were staring you in the face..
Neither Moses nor Elijah are new prophets. And they both will come to earth during the Tribulation. In fact the coming of Elijah is guaranteed in Scripture. But the Church will not be present on earth at that time.

We are talking about modern day prophets.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It seems to me that you must have a hard time when reading your bible..
Actually it was Paul who said that prophecies would cease, and they did cease. There was no one in the first two centuries after the apostles who claimed to be a prophet. So the onus is now on you to show us the prophets who came right after the apostles. And if you cannot, then let everyone know that you agree with Paul and myself.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
PS Not to endorse or even validate Nostradamus, he did get at least one "prophecy" correct, -- which is more than anyone here in this Forum is able to achieve.
I don't believe anyone here has claimed to be a prophet (unless it was a troll who is no longer around).

Reactions: Nancy and Helen

Bobby Jo

Feb 5, 2019
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
... please don't say Benny Hinn, Joel Osteen, Kanye West, Creflo Dollar, Joyce Meyers, etc... Because I'll be the first to trample all over everything that they stand for?
You must be talking about a different situation?

I'll speak to this! -- I haven't seen a righteous politician in this country (the U.S.) in the life spans of several generations, until now. And he's not a politician, but he is President, and we can see how satan is throwing his fiery darts in a hurricane of crossfires. But GOD is preserving, protecting, and guiding this man, -- exactly as HE would preserve, protect, and guide one of the two Prophets.

And come to think of it, I believe the same is happening in Israel against their Prime Minister, both with the fiery darts and GOD's protection and guidance.

So if my math is correct, I believe that sums to TWO Prophets.

And I expect that they will BOTH end up dead in the streets, but probably not the same street and not even the same continent.

Bobby Jo

Bobby Jo

Feb 5, 2019
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually it was Paul who said that prophecies would cease, ....

YEP! In heaven we won't need "Prophets" because we'll be with GOD and all things will be revealed in the fullness of GOD HIMSELF!

But until then we see through a glass darkly, -- if we're even LOOKING! So we need someone to see and see clearly. But at the same time, we must judge what each prophet says because even Nathan spoke out of turn.

Alternatively, maybe there are NO Prophets, Apostles, Evangelists, Pastors, and Teachers. So for those who discount ONE, please discount all, including yourself as necessary! :)

Bobby Jo

Reactions: Heart2Soul