Proselytizing

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
my initial reaction to this, last night, was resistance, because i heard "proselytizing."

however i read something different this morning, i perceive now a spiritual aspect to the interaction, and i will tell you that there is a manual for this, so to speak, a relatively new thing, the book came to me through mom about 6 months ago, something about approaching strangers in super markets based upon some Word, some Nudge, and being open to the Nudge.

So, can't recall the name of the book, but mom might when she gets back, today. I got several encounters into it--wherein some little or large fruit was invariably witnessed in these encounters--and then lost interest. So now i'm interested again. I'll find it and shoot you a title, but really it will just confirm the OP i guess.

But i am struck now about how it, this, describes going out in the manner of Abel--and all of the examples that i recall were witnessed as being quite...um, quickening, i guess is the word i'm looking for, for those approached, whom after all were in need of some kind. So, there were surely some ideas for overcoming any initial resistance from the needy, or whatever, although when you think about it, you are invariably getting the Nudge because these are the ones whom Spirit is sending you to.

i just hadn't been caught up in the Air yet, at the point i was reading that book, i could even tell that i was dismissing it, being a weenie, using the religious overtone in it as an excuse at the time, lol. But i did keep the book, for now, i guess, weird. Just dunno where i stashed it, and completely forgot the title now. So, it'll have to be like a treasure hunt now.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
yes, so, in that vein, i got nudged, to go look there, and there it was; The Ultimate Treasure Hunt, Kevin Dedmon, a guide to supernatural evangelism through supernatural encounters.

Nov 3, 2012
Portugal
Faith
Christian
Country
Portugal
bbyrd009 said:
my initial reaction to this, last night, was resistance, because i heard "proselytizing."
What's wrong with proselytizing? It's one of the basic building blocks of Christianity. If the Apostle Paul hadn't gone throughout Europe "proselytising" then we wouldn't be here today speaking about Christianity. Jesus said to go in to all the world and make disciples, if the Lord has given us free rein to do it then there's nothing binding us from doing it =) Go and speak to people about Jesus and don't let fear hold you back, Jesus helps in times of need

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
brokentuningfork said:
What's wrong with proselytizing? It's one of the basic building blocks of Christianity. If the Apostle Paul hadn't gone throughout Europe "proselytising" then we wouldn't be here today speaking about Christianity. Jesus said to go in to all the world and make disciples, if the Lord has given us free rein to do it then there's nothing binding us from doing it =) Go and speak to people about Jesus and don't let fear hold you back, Jesus helps in times of need
hey, if you are led to proselytize, then i have no desire to slow you down. Do what you feel led to do. It takes all kinds, i guess we need proselytizers, too, and i was proselytized, i initially came to Christ the same way--from fear of hell, because someone asked me if i knew Jesus as my personal Savior, ok. So i mis-spoke there.

So let me just say that an earnest proselytizer is doing a good thing, from their hearts, and they are going out in the way of Abel, as a Shepherd. It is the way it is meant to be, i guess, at least for now, our time. Prolly no better way to train Shepherds.

If you seek further, you may find that "HE WILL NOT QUARREL, NOR CRY OUT; NOR WILL ANYONE HEAR HIS VOICE IN THE STREETS" (which the NASB puts in all caps, not me) may come to have some meaning for you, and you might even contrast that with "you taught in our streets," from Luke, but i mostly would like to emphasize here that just because you learn something new today, or tomorrow, about God, that doesn't mean that you did the wrong thing yesterday, or today even, if you are following your heart, and your motives are pure. That is the important part.

So, just to be clear, i worked on the "I found it!" campaign, i called people up during dinner, and proselytized. And it was a valuable learning experience for me.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
bbyrd009 said:
hey, if you are led to proselytize, then i have no desire to slow you down. Do what you feel led to do. It takes all kinds, i guess we need proselytizers, too, and i was proselytized, i initially came to Christ the same way--from fear of hell, because someone asked me if i knew Jesus as my personal Savior, ok. So i mis-spoke there.

So let me just say that an earnest proselytizer is doing a good thing, from their hearts, and they are going out in the way of Abel, as a Shepherd. It is the way it is meant to be, i guess, at least for now, our time. Prolly no better way to train Shepherds.

If you seek further, you may find that "HE WILL NOT QUARREL, NOR CRY OUT; NOR WILL ANYONE HEAR HIS VOICE IN THE STREETS" (which the NASB puts in all caps, not me) may come to have some meaning for you, and you might even contrast that with "you taught in our streets," from Luke, but i mostly would like to emphasize here that just because you learn something new today, or tomorrow, about God, that doesn't mean that you did the wrong thing yesterday, or today even, if you are following your heart, and your motives are pure. That is the important part.

So, just to be clear, i worked on the "I found it!" campaign, i called people up during dinner, and proselytized. And it was a valuable learning experience for me.
Your'e definitely dating yourself. As I am also.

Stranger

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Lol. ya, long time ago.

I still tell people about the kingdom, all day long, every chance i get. Of course, i avoid the language that has now been compromised, but that doesn't matter.

and imo the op is doing an awesome thing. The testimonies in that book i mentioned all seem to end with the stranger that is approached being very grateful. I didn't read them all, however. But even if there are cases of rejection, imo they don't overshadow the point; and hopefully there are one or two cases of rejection, just for purposes of instruction. I'm done with the book, if anyone wants it. PM me a po box or whatever.