"Pushing the Homosexual Agenda"

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justadude

Feb 25, 2020
Colorado
Faith
Agnostic
Country
United States
This past weekend, Disney/Pixar released a nine-minute short film titled "Out", which is about a young man's struggles with coming out to his parents as gay. It's the first Disney/Pixar film that centers on being gay, with a gay main character.

As expected, Christian groups are upset. That by itself is no big deal. The proper reaction to them being upset over the film is "So?" However, it's what they claim to be upset about that's concerning. A good example is the Christian news site LifeSiteNews, where they refer to the inclusion of LGBTQ characters and actors as "promotion of the LGBT agenda". Ken Ham of AnswersinGenesis said Disney "continues to push the LGBTQ agenda on kids" in a tweet.

The only thing I can take away from those reactions is that conservative Christians believe merely acknowledging the existence of LGBTQs by including them in movies is "pushing their agenda". That leads to an obvious set of questions.

How exactly do they think this works? Do they think that otherwise straight kids will see LGBTQ characters in movies and suddenly decide to be gay?

If it works that way, does it work in reverse, where a gay person seeing a heterosexual character will make them turn straight?

Would these Christian groups prefer to make inclusion of LGBTQ characters and actors illegal?

Do LGBTQs have the same rights to be in movies, TV shows, and other media as heterosexuals?

The whole thing kind of reminds me of this meme....

728172a4d0a1db54c9957033835a371b3748601d5c568d30d5a36923c6561bab.jpg

MattMooradian

Apr 3, 2020
MUNSTER, Indiana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do they think that otherwise straight kids will see LGBTQ characters in movies and suddenly decide to be gay?
Its more subtle than that, Dude. Placing LGBTQs in movies as leading characters can influence people to believe that being LGBTQ is normal and acceptable; it suggests that such lifestyles are legitimate alternatives. They can also stimulate sexual fantasies, which can be arousing, and which can be the beginning of a sexual habit/addiction (for a teenager, for instance). Showing LGBTQs in leading roles 'normalizes' their behavior.

Would these Christian groups prefer to make inclusion of LGBTQ characters and actors illegal?

Do LGBTQs have the same rights to be in movies, TV shows, and other media as heterosexuals?
Of course, they should have the same rights as everyone else. No, their behavior should not be illegal.

Justadude

Feb 25, 2020
Colorado
Faith
Agnostic
Country
United States
Its more subtle than that, Dude. Placing LGBTQs in movies as leading characters can influence people to believe that being LGBTQ is normal and acceptable; it suggests that such lifestyles are legitimate alternatives.
And you see those as bad things, right? If so, is your preference that LGBTQs be treated by society as abnormal, unacceptable, and illegitimate?

They can also stimulate sexual fantasies, which can be arousing, and which can be the beginning of a sexual habit/addiction (for a teenager, for instance). Showing LGBTQs in leading roles 'normalizes' their behavior.
Do you believe those sorts of things can cause a person to decide to be gay?

Of course, they should have the same rights as everyone else. No, their behavior should not be illegal.
Forgive me if I'm asking too many questions, but I want to make sure I'm not misrepresenting you. Can I take it then that your position is that the government should not be stepping in and prohibiting LGBTQs from participating and/or being depicted in movies, shows, videos, etc.? I also assume that your view is that those who oppose such LGBTQ participation in popular culture are free to continue to express their offense and displeasure.

IOW, is your position something like....LGBTQs, like any other segment of society, should be free to do as they please. Likewise, those who do not agree with the LGBTQ lifestyles should also be free to do as they please, including expressing their views on LGBTQ lifestyles.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

That sound all well and good. And I have Friends who live just like that , 'normal lives'.

BUT what about the agenda?

One of our PM's is gay and he is evil predator . He once said- " You can't hide from us, we will find your children wherever they are , in the washrooms, in the schools , in the Malls, or wherever they are, you can't hide your children from us. He lobbied to get the 'Man and Boy' age of consent down age 12.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That sound all well and good. And I have Friends who live just like that , 'normal lives'.

One of our PM's is gay and he is evil predator . He once said- " You can't hide from us, we will find your children wherever they are , in the washrooms, in the schools , in the Malls, or wherever they are, you can't hide your children from us. He lobbied to get the 'Man and Boy' age of consent down age 12.
Wow, he was that open about it? and in public service? now each their own, but when one push an agenda on to a child, the line must be drawn. now if a child grows up and choose that lifestyle then that's their choice.

but a 12 year old boy .... or girl... no.

where are the Parents here?

PICJAG.

Scoot

May 14, 2020
Victoria, Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
If Disney was to promote fornication and orgies to children as normal - should we also be quiet?

Or is it OK for Christians to call out other sins (Abortion, fornication, adultery, etc) if there were TV shows aimed at our children but we should refrain from the sins of the LGTBQi?

We have people who are labelled as being kleptomaniac. Does that mean we should no longer say that it's wrong to steal because they identify as a kleptomaniac? Does the sin identify the person, or as believers do we still accept that the person is a sinner, and not actually the sin?

Most practising sinners have no problems with me calling what they do sin - they just laugh at it if they don't care or ignore it - unless the Holy Spirit convicts them - and then we have something beautiful happen. Why is LGTBQi any different?

Is this scripture still relevant today? Matthew 18:6 - But whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in Me to stumble, it would be better for him if a millstone were hung around his neck, and he were thrown into the sea?

If so - should we sit on the side and remain voiceless while Disney and others target little ones in such a manner, or should we voice our concerns?

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If Disney was to promote fornication and orgies to children as normal - should we also be quiet?

Or is it OK for Christians to call out other sins (Abortion, fornication, adultery, etc) if there were TV shows aimed at our children but we should refrain from the sins of the LGTBQi?

We have people who are labelled as being kleptomaniac. Does that mean we should no longer say that it's wrong to steal because they identify as a kleptomaniac? Does the sin identify the person, or as believers do we still accept that the person is a sinner, and not actually the sin?

Most practising sinners have no problems with me calling what they do sin - they just laugh at it if they don't care or ignore it - unless the Holy Spirit convicts them - and then we have something beautiful happen. Why is LGTBQi any different?

Is this scripture still relevant today? Matthew 18:6 - But whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in Me to stumble, it would be better for him if a millstone were hung around his neck, and he were thrown into the sea?

If so - should we sit on the side and remain voiceless while Disney and others target little ones in such a manner, or should we voice our concerns?

What do you mean, Disney is doing this? That makes me heart-sick. Walt would turn over in his grave.

Reactions: Scoot

Candidus

Jan 27, 2020
Kuna
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why don’t we see a concerted effort in society for a Drunk Agenda? Where is the push in Congress to abolish all Laws against driving intoxicated? Should we excuse Liars because that is their “orientation”? If the argument that “all sins are the same” excuses or minimizes the sinfulness of Homosexual acts, then why is there a whole Movement to promote that sin? The answer is not that Christians have gone to extremes to attack Homosexuality, it is merely a measured response to the immense self-justification that Homosexual Advocates have pressed! Most Christians would be more comfortable if Homosexuality remained in the closet! But Homosexuality is much different than “other” sins; it is the only sin that argues that God is wrong! There are no thieves or murderers that say that God cannot judge them because they were born with a nature that made them that way!

MattMooradian

Apr 3, 2020
MUNSTER, Indiana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
is your preference that LGBTQs be treated by society as abnormal, unacceptable, and illegitimate?
I would treat them as if they are human beings who have chosen to make themselves into something aversive. Like a facial tattoo, business owners should have the right not to hire them because of the perceived negative impact it may have upon their business. Otherwise, if they remain in the closet (Clintons, 'don't ask, don't tell policy), they should not be discriminated against. They should be treated as everyone else.

Do you believe those sorts of things can cause a person to decide to be gay?
Of course! I have spoken to males who, when they were young, were molested by older males. A significant portion of those boys grow up with self-doubt about their sexual identity. When they are molested, the boys often experience sexual arousal, which leads many to believe that they are gay. Again, the George Castanza measure of being gay - am I aroused if touched by a man (a poor measure of being gay, by the way). Teenagers are very vulnerable to identity problems, and seeing gays in leading roles on TV may disturb their already shaky sense of identity. (If you recall from your basic psychology class, identity formation is one of the biggest challenges to adolescents).
Can I take it then that your position is that the government should not be stepping in and prohibiting LGBTQs from participating and/or being depicted in movies, shows, videos, etc.?
Yes; but, not in leading roles. It should be the directors, producers, or writers choice.
I also assume that your view is that those who oppose such LGBTQ participation in popular culture are free to continue to express their offense and displeasure.
Of course.
LGBTQs, like any other segment of society, should be free to do as they please. Likewise, those who do not agree with the LGBTQ lifestyles should also be free to do as they please, including expressing their views on LGBTQ lifestyles.
Yes; but, individuals (TV writers, producers, etc.) should be wise and sensitive enough to make the best choices for society - don't put them in leading roles!.

Justadude

Feb 25, 2020
Colorado
Faith
Agnostic
Country
United States

Wow, that's rather shocking! Hopefully folks appreciate that that's no more representative of the LGBTQ community than the cases of child abuse in Christian churches are of Christians.

Justadude

Feb 25, 2020
Colorado
Faith
Agnostic
Country
United States

I think Christians should be (legally) free to speak out against whatever they want. Of course targeting LGBTQs will come with social consequences, but that's very different than the government doing something.

Does that mean you believe homosexuality should be illegal and gays should be put in prison?

Justadude

Feb 25, 2020
Colorado
Faith
Agnostic
Country
United States
Why don’t we see a concerted effort in society for a Drunk Agenda? Where is the push in Congress to abolish all Laws against driving intoxicated?
Do you really need the differences between drunk driving and being gay explained to you?

Should we excuse Liars because that is their “orientation”? If the argument that “all sins are the same” excuses or minimizes the sinfulness of Homosexual acts, then why is there a whole Movement to promote that sin? The answer is not that Christians have gone to extremes to attack Homosexuality, it is merely a measured response to the immense self-justification that Homosexual Advocates have pressed! Most Christians would be more comfortable if Homosexuality remained in the closet! But Homosexuality is much different than “other” sins; it is the only sin that argues that God is wrong! There are no thieves or murderers that say that God cannot judge them because they were born with a nature that made them that way!
So to you, "Gays should not be allowed to be openly gay" is a "measured response"? Interesting.

Justadude

Feb 25, 2020
Colorado
Faith
Agnostic
Country
United States
I would treat them as if they are human beings who have chosen to make themselves into something aversive. Like a facial tattoo, business owners should have the right not to hire them because of the perceived negative impact it may have upon their business. Otherwise, if they remain in the closet (Clintons, 'don't ask, don't tell policy), they should not be discriminated against. They should be treated as everyone else.
Do you appreciate how "they should not be allowed to be openly gay, and they should not be given basic civil rights" is contradictory to "they should be treated as everyone else"?

Christians, like all other religious people, are protected from being discriminated against. Why would you deny LGBTQs a basic right that you enjoy?

Of course! I have spoken to males who, when they were young, were molested by older males. A significant portion of those boys grow up with self-doubt about their sexual identity. When they are molested, the boys often experience sexual arousal, which leads many to believe that they are gay. Again, the George Castanza measure of being gay - am I aroused if touched by a man (a poor measure of being gay, by the way). Teenagers are very vulnerable to identity problems, and seeing gays in leading roles on TV may disturb their already shaky sense of identity. (If you recall from your basic psychology class, identity formation is one of the biggest challenges to adolescents).
Dude....being molested is not the same thing as seeing a gay character on a TV show. Frankly, I'm shocked that you would try and equate the two.

Yes; but, not in leading roles. It should be the directors, producers, or writers choice.
So if a director wants to have a gay character or actor in a leading role, what then?

Of course.

Yes; but, individuals (TV writers, producers, etc.) should be wise and sensitive enough to make the best choices for society - don't put them in leading roles!.
Maybe you need to clarify, but it seems as if you're basically saying that Christians should be free to live and speak as they please, but gays should not be allowed to be openly gay and be in leading roles in movies or shows.

Do you see how that sort of attitude furthers the impression that Christians just don't like gay people?

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And you see those as bad things, right? If so, is your preference that LGBTQs be treated by society as abnormal, unacceptable, and illegitimate?

Homosexuality is abnormal.
A child's mind is not developed enough to comprehend sexual desires, normal or otherwise.
Disney is a fantasy-themed Enterprise geared toward children.
Seriously - for what purpose would Disney try to engage young minds in sex at all?

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As expected, Christian groups are upset. That by itself is no big deal. The proper reaction to them being upset over the film is "So?"

Actually, the proper reaction of a Christian should be to no longer "simply" Trust the Name of a Disney production being "suitable" for a young child's viewing pleasure.

Reactions: Scoot

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Exposing children to sexual concepts has always been wrong in western culture, same with homosexuality.

Now they're exposing this lgdt rubbish to kids, indoctrinating them to believe it is righteous.
Anyone who opposes is condemned. Make no doubt about it folks, this is the work of Satan.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dude....being molested is not the same thing as seeing a gay character on a TV show. Frankly, I'm shocked that you would try and equate the two.
Actually, both belong to a culture that promotes homosexuality, attempting to both impose it and normalize it.

If you ever want to test the validity of the logic, just drop a different word in there. Pick a different proclivity that you for whatever reason aren't defending.

But doesn't this just come down to opinions, one has one opinion, another has another, and that's the end of it?

I mean, if one sexual deviation from the norm is to be tolerated, even to the point of vilifying those who condemn it, then why not extend the same courtesy to all sexual deviations? Surely the question answers itself!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How exactly do they think this works? Do they think that otherwise straight kids will see LGBTQ characters in movies and suddenly decide to be gay?
Actually, yes it does work that way. Children are being encouraged to accept the possibility that they may be "gay" so called, or, Same Sex Attraction Disorder - SSAD.

So they are encouraged to experiment in school, and on TV, and even Disney is cool with SSAD. And what when they find themself drawn in, forget about whatever they would or wouldn't have been had they not been encouraged by this plethora of voices and examples of how cool SSAD is.

Kids will relentlessly tease each other about anything, but it's cool to be a persecuted queer, and they gather around them protective and making them special.

And we outlaw polygamy, and pedophilia, and other unmentionables, but not that, what hypocrits!

Status
Not open for further replies.