Putting on of the new self

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Not me

May 8, 2019
California, Ca.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ephesians 4:24 (NASB)
and put on the new self, which in the likeness of God has been created in righteousness and holiness of the truth.

The doing of righteousness is that that kills the old self. For the old must die so the new can live. For as much as we were free from righteousness before we became regenerated, just the same we are to be free from unrighteousness with the putting on of the new self. As before regeneration sin could be done without the heart being pricked and know that it had done wrong. Now when unrighteousness is done the heart gets pricked and it is shown what good and bad behavior are. What righteousness and unrighteousness are. Now as regenerated persons we are to choose the good and righteous action. Whereby by that action establishing peace.

For the doing of righteousness puts on the new self and is death to the old. It is by faith do we reckon the old dead. It is by faith we reckon the new alive and as that faith is never to no avail we are told to put on the new man. Which was created in righteousness for the manifestation of righteousness. For righteousness pleases God and the doing of righteousness we are all called to. So today let us put on the new self a little more than yesterday. Let us walk in a little more righteousness than yesterday. For God’s eyes are always searching for the heart that is willing to do righteousness so He can be present and bless the heart with a joy and a peace that is beyond measure. So as those that want the blessings of God in our lives, let righteousness be the hallmark of our doing.

Many blessings to all that would strive after the marks of putting on the new self which is the manifestation of righteous actions in all things.

Much love in Christ, Not me

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ephesians 4:24 (NASB)
and put on the new self, which in the likeness of God has been created in righteousness and holiness of the truth.
Does this new self dwell within each of us simultaneously with the old self?

... Now as regenerated persons we are to choose the good and righteous action. Whereby by that action establishing peace.
Are you saying that we Should or that we Must choose the good and righteous action?
For the doing of righteousness puts on the new self and is death to the old. It is by faith do we reckon the old dead. It is by faith we reckon the new alive and as that faith is never to no avail we are told to put on the new man. Which was created in righteousness for the manifestation of righteousness.
So, would you then you say that if we, having put on the man, do not practice our faith in or by righteous works, the old man would thrive in us? Is there any middle ground with this?

For righteousness pleases God and the doing of righteousness we are all called to. So today let us put on the new self a little more than yesterday. Let us walk in a little more righteousness than yesterday...

Many blessings to all that would strive after the marks of putting on the new self which is the manifestation of righteous actions in all things...
So then would you say that the final and ultimate salvation of a man is a progressive rather than an instantaneous event?

Not me

May 8, 2019
California, Ca.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Does this new self dwell within each of us simultaneously with the old self?

Are you saying that we Should or that we Must choose the good and righteous action?

So, would you then you say that if we, having put on the man, do not practice our faith in or by righteous works, the old man would thrive in us? Is there any middle ground with this?

So then would you say that the final and ultimate salvation of a man is a progressive rather than an instantaneous event?

Hi, there’s a couple of questions here....if I understand them correctly?

Does the new dwell in us with the old?

Yes, the Divine Nature and the fallen nature are the choices set before man, they are both “within” the regenerated man. For if they are not in man, they would not have a claim to man.

“Should or must”;

If you would serve God, whichever your heart deems is necessary to be obedient to Christ.

Any middle ground.

Only as much middle ground as there is in death. For to the degree one apprehends their death in Christ to that degree can and will they walk in newness of life.

Final or instantaneous salvation;

Salvation is the Divine Nature being birthed in the soul, (being born again)...... to the end, as with all births, life is birthed for the purpose of growth.

Hope it helps;

Blessings,

Last edited:

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not trying to trick you into anything here. I do believe one way and some of what you say seems on the same track, but I was hoping you could clarify it for me.

Hi, there’s a couple of questions here;

Does the new dwell in us with the old?

Yes, the Divine Nature and the fallen nature are the choices set before man, they are both “within” the regenerated man. For if they are not in man, they would not have a claim to man.

So then are you not saying that a man, [as foolish as such a choice would be], still has the choice at any time to go with the old man and his ways rather than going with the new man and God? From my own experience and what I witness in man's world around me supposedly containing some 75-80% Christians [so they say?] it seems that altogether too many are seldom following in the Lord's Way.

“Should or must”;

If you would serve God, whichever your heart deems is necessary to be obedient to Christ.

Your answer seems to say you still have a choice. I believe that we do still have a choice but your answer is still a little vague. Is this done purposely or are you uncertain?

Any middle ground.

Only as much middle ground as there is in death. For to the degree one apprehends their death in Christ to that degree can and will they walk in newness of life.
So then if a person walks too little or too slowly in the newness of Life, he will effectively be at a standstill or even slide backwards and finally lose the Life he has received?

Final or instantaneous salvation;

Salvation is the Divine Nature being birthed in the soul, (being born again)...... to the end, as with all births, life is birthed for the purpose of growth.
But then if a person too often quenches the Holy Spirit in order to go his own old ways the result could be that he finally and completely loses his new Life?
Hope it helps;

Blessings,

Give God the glory!

Reactions: Nancy

Not me

May 8, 2019
California, Ca.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not trying to trick you into anything here. I do believe one way and some of what you say seems on the same track, but I was hoping you could clarify it for me.

So then are you not saying that a man, [as foolish as such a choice would be], still has the choice at any time to go with the old man and his ways rather than going with the new man and God? From my own experience and what I witness in man's world around me supposedly containing some 75-80% Christians [so they say?] it seems that altogether too many are seldom following in the Lord's Way.

Your answer seems to say you still have a choice. I believe that we do still have a choice but your answer is still a little vague. Is this done purposely or are you uncertain?

So then if a person walks too little or too slowly in the newness of Life, he will effectively be at a standstill or even slide backwards and finally lose the Life he has received?

But then if a person too often quenches the Holy Spirit in order to go his own old ways the result could be that he finally and completely loses his new Life?

Give God the glory!

If I follow you; your asking if a man after he is saved still has a choice whether to serve Christ or self?

Scripture gives this answer;

“To whom you yield yourself to Him are you servants”

This is written to regenerated man, so scripture does teach that man still has a choice on which master to serve. ( that’s my read on scripture)

The next question seems to be; whether I believe that a man can lose his salvation.

I’m in the camp, that says a man can lose his salvation as much as I can stop being my father’s son. And for the exact same reason.

This is what my relationship with Christ has taught be thus far. If you disagree with any or all that’s fine.

As you said; to God be the glory, and may we come to know Him in all reality and all truth.

Blessings,

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If I follow you; your asking if a man after he is saved still has a choice whether to serve Christ or self?

Scripture gives this answer;

“To whom you yield yourself to Him are you servants”

This is written to regenerated man, so scripture does teach that man still has a choice on which master to serve. ( that’s my read on scripture)

The next question seems to be; whether I believe that a man can lose his salvation.

I’m in the camp, that says a man can lose his salvation as much as I can stop being my father’s son. And for the exact same reason.

This is what my relationship with Christ has taught be thus far. If you disagree with any or all that’s fine.

As you said; to God be the glory, and may we come to know Him in all reality and all truth.

Blessings,

Thank you for being up front with me. I do disagree with your statement about losing one's salvation but I am not pushing for more from you on that than what you have said. I believe I understand both sides of the question and am uncertain that another discussion on here and now will necessarily edify.

God give any increases to us in His time.
Thank you again.

Reactions: Nancy and Helen

Not me

May 8, 2019
California, Ca.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you for being up front with me. I do disagree with your statement about losing one's salvation but I am not pushing for more from you on that than what you have said. I believe I understand both sides of the question and am uncertain that another discussion on here and now will necessarily edify.

God give any increases to us in His time.
Thank you again.

I appreciate the Christ I see in your response.

Blessings,

Last edited:

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The doing of righteousness is that that kills the old self. For the old must die so the new can live. For as much as we were free from righteousness before we became regenerated, just the same we are to be free from unrighteousness with the putting on of the new self.

Interesting :)

I have not found that it works in my life.
“Now if we be dead with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with Him:”
11 "Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord."

For me , 'being dead to the old man' is all by faith in the finished work of Christ. ( Grace= God's ability within us to do what we can't do )
That is the "doing" of the issue. The work of believing in the face of everything telling us that it is not so and can never be so. The renewing of the mind..believing His not mine.

I do agree that this 'putting on' is a daily choice...a choice to believe what He says...in the face of what I may feel.

Interesting thread bro. :)

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Hey John.

That brings us back to the discussion of The Overcomers...the Bride..and The Mature sons. Not a lost or saved thing....but a case of being called to being a kingdom of kings and priests and falling short of that high calling.

Those that by faith and endurance inherit the promises....putting aside ( by choosing God moment by moment ) putting off the old man and living in His.
"...for we are saved by His life."
( "For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of His Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by His life." )

So with our eyes OF trying to mortify the things of the flesh, and our eyes ON Him wherein is our victory...we live in the new man.

No man can crucify himself , I can nail my feet to the cross, I can nail one hand to the cross...but the other hand must be in His Victory or the job can never be done ...not by anything we do. As I see it.

Blessings...Helen

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is one of the reasons I like one of the older descriptions of Baptism. That the person that comes out of the water...as far as God is concerned, is a new man or woman, clean of sins. There are people that cannot forgive themselves and don't believe that God will. So the new man concept serves as a physiological assurance that all of their sins and and their past are gone. So they can move on with a clean slate.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
This is one of the reasons I like one of the older descriptions of Baptism. That the person that comes out of the water...as far as God is concerned, is a new man or woman, clean of sins. There are people that cannot forgive themselves and don't believe that God will. So the new man concept serves as a physiological assurance that all of their sins and and their past are gone. So they can move on with a clean slate.

Good word.

Which also reminds me...'right now' I will get off here and go and answer the conversation that we have going. :D

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
While there is nothing essentially wrong with trying to improve oneself...as the OP is really suggesting...by acting with more righteousness, kindness, and love for others...it is very wrong to equate that kind of self-improvement with the "putting on of the New Man" as Paul testifies of in the bible.

Ephesians 4:24
24 And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.

Putting on the new man is putting on Christ, or the armour of light. It's wrong to see this as a gradual human effort towards divine grace. Rather, this is something that is given as a whole gift...as we seek the Lord for it. Grace is a gift of God...that is given freely as we bring our faith to God.

One does not walk "a little bit in the Spirit" or a little bit in the New Man....anymore than a woman can be a "little bit pregnant."
The New Man is the resurrection life of Jesus modeled for us in the form of the victorious humanity of Jesus.

We put it on or take it off. But we can't do this bit by bit. This is to confuse purity and nature with the maturity in it that is required to remain (abide) in Christ.

It is the same with the fruit of the Spirit. It comes as a whole. The fruit of being in the Spirit is all that the Spirit provides to us. You don't try to improve your walk by trying to emulate one aspect of the fruit of the Spirit at a time.

So then there is great misunderstanding here.

Not me

May 8, 2019
California, Ca.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Interesting :)

I have not found that it works in my life.
“Now if we be dead with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with Him:”
11 "Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord."

For me , 'being dead to the old man' is all by faith in the finished work of Christ. ( Grace= God's ability within us to do what we can't do )
That is the "doing" of the issue. The work of believing in the face of everything telling us that it is not so and can never be so. The renewing of the mind..believing His not mine.

I do agree that this 'putting on' is a daily choice...a choice to believe what He says...in the face of what I may feel.

Interesting thread bro. :)

Good day, as I can tell from your writings your relationship with Christ is alive and growing well.

So I can talk to you as one to whom that relationship is their all.

As far as my statement that gave you pause;

“the doing of righteousness is that that kills the old self”

Scripture says to the believer;

“to whom you yield yourselves” etc. clearly putting forth the constant choice that is always before the believer. Which can be stated as Christ or self. One or the other always rules in the believer.

Which can and does vacillate constantly as we go through our day. For the Holy Spirit is constantly sharing and speaking, to our hearts; “that was not Christ” “you should have yielded more in this or that area” constantly trying to bring us to a more yielded state. For the outward purpose of the doing of righteousness. For righteousness or unrighteousness are always the two things being manifested moment by moment. One will always rule over or kill the other. Christ or self. Righteousness or unrighteousness one will always be killing the other. So let us always yield to Christ that the doing of righteousness might slay all that might be contrary, (self)

Thanks for finding the thread interesting. Hope this helps with my meaning of the statement.

Blessings.

Last edited:

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
“to whom you yield yourselves” etc. clearly putting forth the constant choice that is always before the believer. Which can be stated as Christ or self. One or the other always rules in the believer.

Would you agree that the battle is won or lost in the mind...we choose constantly.

I put our heart and mind choices above our bodily actions ...faith starts and finishes in the heart....

The body follows the heart...

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I whoops-ed there...I quoted you and it posted by it self , before I had a chance to respond and post my thought.

" as a man thinketh in his heart, so he is.." Prov 23

Reactions: charity and Not me

Not me

May 8, 2019
California, Ca.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Would you agree that the battle is won or lost in the mind...we choose constantly.

I put our heart and mind choices above our bodily actions ...faith starts and finishes in the heart....

Absolutely! It is the mind or the heart. It is the faith of the heart that grabs onto the truth of God and His promises. It is by faith we are saved through His gift of love to mankind, brought to mankind by the death and resurrection of His beloved Son and our Lord and Savior.

So to the getting to know this Great and awesome gift, let us give ourselves to, that we might be conformed to Him, and be pleasing to God in all we do.

Blessings,

Reactions: Philip James

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Absolutely! It is the mind or the heart. It is the faith of the heart that grabs onto the truth of God and His promises. It is by faith we are saved through His gift of love to mankind, brought to mankind by the death and resurrection of His beloved Son and our Lord and Savior.

So to the getting to know this Great and awesome gift, let us give ourselves to, that we might be conformed to Him, and be pleasing to God in all we do.

Blessings,

Romans 8 has a wonderful account of those who indeed walk after the Spirit now, and not after the flesh.

Reactions: Not me