Question on Jesus' Ministry timing

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have always assumed that Jesus was 30 years old when He was baptized to start His ministry, and that He ministered for 3 years. Does anyone know off hand where this is verified in the gospels?

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I have always assumed that Jesus was 30 years old when He was baptized to start His ministry, and that He ministered for 3 years. Does anyone know off hand where this is verified in the gospels?

Luke 3:23 gives an indication Jesus began His ministry when he was "about 30 years old."

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Bear with me CL, if my memory serves me well, this is basically the approach in determining Christ's age & length of ministry, ...and basically, various other dates within the Bible (i.e. by inference from other facts).

As @Jay Ross said, Luke is the only Gospel that gives an approximation of his actual age, which is, that at the start of his ministry, he was 'about 30 years of age'. And then, with this fact in mind, in the Gospel of John, the Passovers are counted. It is unsure of how many Passovers there actually were. There were three for sure, and one of the other festivals mentioned is in question as to whether it was a Passover, or not. And besides this, it's indefinite how much time elapsed before the start of the 1st Passover, and after the last.
Therefore, from one Passover to another, you have exactly 1 year, if the 2 reference points are exactly on the day of Passover itself. But typically in the Gospel accounts, you have an indefinite amount of time before and after the reference points. Hence, is it 1.5 years within the time frame, or 1.2 or 1.9 years.
So, after the various calculations have been done, most theologians agree that with 3 Passovers for sure, so that the shortest option is 2.5 yrs, and the most would be 3.5 years if the 4th festival was another Passover.
Again CL, it's been a while since I read about this, I may be off with specific numbers, but the methodology is rather accurate as to how it was determined.

Last edited:
Reactions: CharismaticLady

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The period of Christ's ministry on earth was about 3 1/2 years. The duration takes into account the Passovers which He attended.
"From His baptism to His ascension, the late summer of 26 to the spring of 30, we have approximately 3½ years."
How long was Jesus’ ministry? | GotQuestions.org

07-07-07

Nov 18, 2018
Rust Belt
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The period of Christ's ministry on earth was about 3 1/2 years. The duration takes into account the Passovers which He attended.
"From His baptism to His ascension, the late summer of 26 to the spring of 30, we have approximately 3½ years."
How long was Jesus’ ministry? | GotQuestions.org

So, since the anti-messiah is an imposter from the devil, is it possible that his ministry will be begin in 2026 AD and last 3 1/2 years to 2030 AD? That would be exactly 2000 years since the ministry of the real Messiah, completing the 6000 years of the reign of men, under the influence of satan, on earth? And for the record, I do believe that Emmanuel Macron of France is this false messiah, so he's on the scene now to fulfill all that is written. Food for thought.

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
So, since the anti-messiah is an imposter from the devil, is it possible that his ministry will be begin in 2026 AD and last 3 1/2 years to 2030 AD? That would be exactly 2000 years since the ministry of the real Messiah, completing the 6000 years of the reign of men, under the influence of satan, on earth? And for the record, I do believe that Emmanuel Macron of France is this false messiah, so he's on the scene now to fulfill all that is written. Food for thought.
One of the reasons that the Word of God is so imprecise or vague, with certain dates of people's reigns, ministries and births, is to circumvent readers from attempting to extrapolate such misguided and audacious calculations.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Strong possibility.

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Strong possibility.
Not even a remote possibility CL. For even Christ's actual B'day is not precisely known, nor the length of his ministry, nor the date of his death. Again, i forget the argumentation around it, but his birth is commonly accepted to be 4 BC. But this is an approximation, some strongly feel that it was 6 BC, for example.
Point is, whenever someone claims to establish Biblical dates with precision, discredit them immediately. Especially in regards to the 2nd Coming.
For, even outside of the mystery surrounding the chronology of his time on earth, I know that you are quite familiar with Christ's warnings about attempting to predict his return, a date of which even himself and the angels are unaware of.

Matthew 24:36
24:36. "But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but the Father alone.
Mark 13:32
13:32. "But of that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but the Father alone.

Last edited:

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I do believe that Emmanuel Macron of France is this false messiah, so he's on the scene now to fulfill all that is written.
Please do elaborate if you can, 07-07-07. How does Emmanuel Macron's name stack up with list of those that fulfill the 666 requirement?

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Feckless Macron could not possibly be the Antichrist. He has no backbone.

default_mellow.png
..........Who in the burning Koala is Emmanuel Macron anyway? To put it simply folks, NO, I do not believe he is the Antichrist. From my understanding, the Bible makes it very clear how we will know who the Antichrist is. The Antichrist will be part of Gods judgement on earth, and the Day of the Lord itself will be the trigger event for his arrival, which is the sixth seal. When you see the sun, moon, and stars acting weird, accompanied with an earthquake, then you will know that God is about to lay the smack down. The beasts arrival will not be a quite one. It will be just as terrifying in its own way as the Day of the Lord itself, which is the fifth trumpet.

(Revelation 9:1-2) "And the fifth angel sounded, and I saw a star fall from heaven unto the earth: and to him was given the key of the bottomless pit. {2} And he opened the bottomless pit; and there arose a smoke out of the pit, as the smoke of a great furnace; and the sun and the air were darkened by reason of the smoke of the pit."..........

(Revelation 9:11) "And they had a king over them, which is the angel of the bottomless pit, whose name in the Hebrew tongue is Abaddon, but in the Greek tongue hath his name Apollyon."

We need to stop getting roused up by every slick tongued little punk that rears his ugly head. You know Jesus said there will be many pretenders, many false Christ's, but now I'm starting to wonder if Jesus also should have said there will be many false Antichrists as well just to help clear the air. Whoever this Emmanuel Macron claims to be, he sure as hell ain't Apollyon, the king of the bottomless pit.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not even a remote possibility CL. For even Christ's actual B'day is not precisely known, nor the length of his ministry, nor the date of his death. Again, i forget the argumentation around it, but his birth is commonly accepted to be 4 BC. But this is an approximation, some strongly feel that it was 6 BC, for example.
Point is, whenever someone claims to establish Biblical dates with precision, discredit them immediately. Especially in regards to the 2nd Coming.
For, even outside of the mystery surrounding the chronology of his time on earth, I know that you are quite familiar with Christ's warnings about attempting to predict his return, a date of which even himself and the angels are unaware of.

Matthew 24:36
24:36. "But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but the Father alone.
Mark 13:32
13:32. "But of that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but the Father alone.

Do you believe 2030 is close, give or take a couple years? That is what I meant. I hope it is that close and not 2070.

I'm basing this on the Jews, and on Hosea 6:1-3 A day here is 1000 years
“Come, let us return to the Lord.
For He has torn us, but He will heal us;
He has wounded us, but He will bandage us.
2 “He will revive us after two days;
He will raise us up on the third day,
That we may live before Him.
3 “So let us know, let us press on to know the Lord.
His going forth is as certain as the dawn;
And He will come to us like the rain,
Like the spring rain watering the earth.”

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Do you believe 2030 is close, give or take a couple years? That is what I meant. I hope it is that close and not 2070.

I'm basing this on the Jews, and on Hosea 6:1-3 A day here is 1000 years
“Come, let us return to the Lord.
For He has torn us, but He will heal us;
He has wounded us, but He will bandage us.
2 “He will revive us after two days;
He will raise us up on the third day,
That we may live before Him.
3 “So let us know, let us press on to know the Lord.
His going forth is as certain as the dawn;
And He will come to us like the rain,
Like the spring rain watering the earth.”
Well, hoping that it's close is one thing, and yes, I do hope it's close. But, that's not the point - what we hope for.
No one knows of when Christ's return will be, first of all.
Secondly, how did you get a day = 1,000 years, please don't say 2 Peter 3:8? This was not a number of precision or quantity, but of hyperbole. Meaning, God does not perceive time as we do, and therefore, is either as patient or expedient as is necessary, irrespective of man's schedule or expectations.
And, I believe that Hosea is not an eschatological prophecy.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, hoping that it's close is one thing, and yes, I do hope it's close. But, that's not the point - what we hope for.
No one knows of when Christ's return will be, first of all.
Secondly, how did you get a day = 1,000 years, please don't say 2 Peter 3:8? This was not a number of precision or quantity, but of hyperbole. Meaning, God does not perceive time as we do, and therefore, is either as patient or expedient as is necessary, irrespective of man's schedule or expectations.
And, I believe that Hosea is not an eschatological prophecy.

When I read it I knew it was 2000 years after their rejection of their Messiah, and the 1000 year Millennium. Scoff if you like. I just knew it. Years later I read the Epistle of Barnabas, which, scoff if you like, I believe is the 28th book of the New Testament (4 X 7 = 28). In it (chapter 15), it talks of the days of Creation week representing 6000 years for man before the 1000 year Millennium of Christ.

Even though we do not know the day nor the hour, that doesn't mean we don't know the season, and even the year. I believe it will be 7 years from the revealing of the Antichrist.

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
When I read it I knew it was 2000 years after their rejection of their Messiah, and the 1000 year Millennium. Scoff if you like. I just knew it. Years later I read the Epistle of Barnabas, which, scoff if you like, I believe is the 28th book of the New Testament (4 X 7 = 28). In it (chapter 15), it talks of the days of Creation week representing 6000 years for man before the 1000 year Millennium of Christ.

Even though we do not know the day nor the hour, that doesn't mean we don't know the season, and even the year. I believe it will be 7 years from the revealing of the Antichrist.
Well, thank you for giving me license to scoff, ...and don't mind if I do...!
When was the Jews rejection of Christ, ...you, and no one else can even give me the year affirmatively, let alone the season?
Even if the Epistle of Barnabas was to be taken seriously, let me see you state when time begins for his countdown?
The Bible is specifically vague in these areas, in order to avoid such unwarranted speculation, and assertions.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, thank you for giving me license to scoff, ...and don't mind if I do...!
When was the Jews rejection of Christ, ...you, and no one else can even give me the year affirmatively, let alone the season?
Even if the Epistle of Barnabas was to be taken seriously, let me see you state when time begins for his countdown?
The Bible is specifically vague in these areas, in order to avoid such unwarranted speculation, and assertions.

I would have scoffed too at one time, so I don't blame you. But not anymore. No siree! LOL

For the first 30 years of my being raised in church, I never had even one prayer answered. But then like Saul (Paul) on the Road to Damascus, I had a powerful unexpected religious experience on the night of February 9, 1977. Now, not only do I have all but two of the abilities of the Spirit, but all my prayers are answered. Many in the Church are still like I was for those first 30 years without the Spirit, and simply cannot relate, so scoff.

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I would have scoffed too at one time, so I don't blame you. But not anymore. No siree! LOL

For the first 30 years of my being raised in church, I never had even one prayer answered. But then like Saul (Paul) on the Road to Damascus, I had a powerful unexpected religious experience on the night of February 9, 1977. Now, not only do I have all but two of the abilities of the Spirit, but all my prayers are answered. Many in the Church are still like I was for those first 30 years without the Spirit, and simply cannot relate, so scoff.
Well, I'm sorry, but your exegesis of the '28' books of the NT, don't necessarily verify that you have an inspired understanding? Unfortunately, only time will tell because it's eschatological. But, for starters, your advocating the uncanonical Book of Barnabas, would make many question the veracity of your 'road to Damascus' experience? Let alone, your specificity of dates in the Bible, when there just aren't any.
i wish you had an experience as you say, but, so far, it's not adding up? ...may I continue to scoff?

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, I'm sorry, but your exegesis of the '28' books of the NT, don't necessarily verify that you have an inspired understanding? Unfortunately, only time will tell because it's eschatological. But, for starters, your advocating the uncanonical Book of Barnabas, would make many question the veracity of your 'road to Damascus' experience? Let alone, your specificity of dates in the Bible, when there just aren't any.
i wish you had an experience as you say, but, so far, it's not adding up? ...may I continue to scoff?

No, you may not scoff. I won't tell you to do something that God hates. Psalms 1:1

The number 7 in the writing of the Bible is God's signature. That is why these are not just God's thoughts put in man's words, but every letter and even space between the letters are written by God.