Question: What convinces you that the Bible is from God?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I trust Jesus and He trusts the Word of God. He refers to Adam from Genesis.

I used to be a skeptic. What sort of things are in the way of you believing the Bible is God's Word?

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is your evidence?

The Bible can't hold up to critical examination. Some of ts history is
verifiable but to my knowledge, none of its supernatural elements are.

For example; the Bible says that there are demons but I've never seen one
for myself.

The Bible says there's a Hell; but nobody I know has come back from there
with a story to tell.

The Bible says there was a Jesus, but there is so little historical evidence to
prove his existence that he cannot be verified; and even if he were to be
verified, there's no way to prove that the words he's alleged to have spoken
were really spoken at all, let alone by him.

Where is the iron-clad geological evidence for a global deluge?

The Bible claims that a certain holy spirit (a ghost) resides inside every
Christian's physical body. Can that be proven true by experimentation
and/or scientific testing?

etc, etc, etc.
_

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is your evidence?
Galatians 5:22-25 speaks of the fruits of the Holy Spirit. And God has spoken to me on a few occasions and filled me with massive amounts of Peace, Love and Joy. So I know Galatians 5:22-25 is inspired from God. And then the rest falls into place.

Reactions: Nancy and MatthewG

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not
seen." Heb 11:1

Faith isn't empirical; it's psychological.

Faith is believin' what you know ain't so.

Mark Twain
_

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Eye witness accounts are a form of evidence. And there were plenty of eye
witness accounts of the miracles contained in the bible.

Your evidence is what's sometimes called circular reasoning.

In other words, you are attempting to use the Bible's own accounts to prove
that the Bible's own accounts are true; which is sort of like acquitting an
accused man solely on the basis of him saying he didn't do it.

And besides; eye witness accounts are only useful when the eye witness is
present to testify under oath. A deposition alone isn't sufficient because
they're too easy to falsify; and even at best would be hearsay, which is
inadmissible.
_

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Faith, that God created the world, and all that is in it, including us human beings.
Faith, that God desired for us to know about Him, so the people whom He had chosen decided to write about Him in documents in which were all gathered and collected, thus forming the bible that we now have today.

“Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. For by it the elders obtained a good testimony. By faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that the things which are seen were not made of things which are visible.”
‭‭Hebrews‬ ‭11:1-3‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

Last edited:

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Question: What convinces you that the Bible is from God?

My election to Believe it.

What is my evidence?

My evidence? None.
Evidence is required to Prove a claim.
I have no requirement to Prove what I Trust to Believe.

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Your evidence is what's sometimes called circular reasoning.

In other words, you are attempting to use the Bible's own accounts to prove
that the Bible's own accounts are true; which is sort of like acquitting an
accused man solely on the basis of him saying he didn't do it.

And besides; eye witness accounts are only useful when the eye witness is
present to testify under oath. A deposition alone isn't sufficient because
they're too easy to falsify; and even at best would be hearsay, which is
inadmissible.
_

The Bible is written by multiple authors that all support a historical narrative. The New Testament describes places, people, and things from actual history.

Jesus was a real person in history and not just the Bible testifies to that. Roman historian and Senator Tacitus wrote about Jesus' execution by Pontius Pilate.

Most of the things we know about history come from documents written in the past. Why does the Bible not count as evidence, exactly? Because they have miracles? Because they speak of God?

All of the science and psychology books were written by men also.

We trust the Bible not only because we trust the main subject, Jesus, but because this is the truth that has changed our lives.

But I also believe that the Bible can stand up to people's staunch investigation. Are you familiar with much of Scripture?

Reactions: Nancy and dev553344

Abaxvahl

Sep 13, 2021
Earth
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is your evidence?

I would begin with ignoring the most of the Scriptures and focusing on the history and proofs that it gives concerning (a) the authorship of the Gospels, (b) the Resurrection of the Lord Jesus, and (c) the gift of the Holy Spirit to the Saints.

(a) When one looks at all the earliest records it is shown and proven that the authorship claims of the NT are correctly Apostolic, therefore we have eyewitness accounts of it. (b) All other explanations of the Resurrection are insufficient (hallucination theory, stolen body theory, etc), and many arguments have been given which prove this. (c) Moreover one can look at the history of the Church from St. Luke or Eusebius to verify whether or not the Lord gave the Holy Spirit as He said He would. St. Paul says that the Holy Spirit is the "pledge of our inheritance," meaning the giving of this is meant to prove that we do have the coming inheritance. So see the fruits of the Spirit in all of the works of His Saints to see whether or not it has been given.

At this point whether one believes it or not is up to the Lord giving the gift of faith. The Lord Jesus especially stressed the last proof saying "if you don't believe My words then at least believe the works."

Having the nous enlightened at this point by God I would look for the reception by the Holy Spirit in the Church of the books inspired by the Holy Spirit to the Church and this convinces me that the Bible is from God, so now having begun by disregarding the books one comes full circle to accepting the books.

This is a rough sketch of one common way the acceptance of Scriptures is justified, of course such a process doesn't need to happen always. Some people are so blessed that they hear the Word of God preached and on this occasion God enlightens them with the ray of faith so that they immediately assent and believe. Blessed are they.

Reactions: Nancy and MatthewG

Abaxvahl

Sep 13, 2021
Earth
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would begin with ignoring the most of the Scriptures and focusing on the history and proofs that it gives concerning (a) the authorship of the Gospels, (b) the Resurrection of the Lord Jesus, and (c) the gift of the Holy Spirit to the Saints.

(a) When one looks at all the earliest records it is shown and proven that the authorship claims of the NT are correctly Apostolic, therefore we have eyewitness accounts of it. (b) All other explanations of the Resurrection are insufficient (hallucination theory, stolen body theory, etc), and many arguments have been given which prove this. (c) Moreover one can look at the history of the Church from St. Luke or Eusebius to verify whether or not the Lord gave the Holy Spirit as He said He would. St. Paul says that the Holy Spirit is the "pledge of our inheritance," meaning the giving of this is meant to prove that we do have the coming inheritance. So see the fruits of the Spirit in all of the works of His Saints to see whether or not it has been given.

At this point whether one believes it or not is up to the Lord giving the gift of faith. The Lord Jesus especially stressed the last proof saying "if you don't believe My words then at least believe the works."

Having the nous enlightened at this point by God I would look for the reception by the Holy Spirit in the Church of the books inspired by the Holy Spirit to the Church and this convinces me that the Bible is from God, so now having begun by disregarding the books one comes full circle to accepting the books.

This is a rough sketch of one common way the acceptance of Scriptures is justified, of course such a process doesn't need to happen always. Some people are so blessed that they hear the Word of God preached and on this occasion God enlightens them with the ray of faith so that they immediately assent and believe. Blessed are they.

Adding to this since perhaps it is useful for the thread, St. Thomas Aquinas has this short beautiful work I will quote from called "This is the Book," it is on the glory of Sacred Scripture and what it does/gives, here is just the most direct portions on this from that work "Hic Est Liber/This is the Book":

"This is the book of the commandments of God, and the law that is forever: all they that keep it shall come to life: but they that have forsaken it, to death."

"According to Augustine (On Christian Doctrine, 4), a skilled speaker should speak to teach, to delight and to motivate: (a) to teach the ignorant, (b) to delight the bored, and (c) to motivate the lazy. The speech of Sacred Scripture does these three things most completely.

"(a) For it teaches steadfastly with its eternal truth: forever, O Lord, thy word stands firm in heaven (Ps 118:89).

"(b) It delights pleasantly with its usefulness: how sweet are thy words to my mouth (Ps 118:03).

"(c) It motivates effectively with its authority: are not my words as a fire, says the Lord? (Jer 23:29).

"Therefore, in the text above, Sacred Scripture is commended for three things. First, for the authority by which it motivates, when it says: this is the book of the commandments of God. Second, for the eternal truth by which it instructs, when it says: and the law that is forever. Third, for the usefulness by which it allures us, when it says: all they that keep it shall come to life.

"The authority of these Scriptures is shown to be effective from three things:

"First, from its origin; because God is its origin. Certainly, such an author should be believed infallibly, both because of the condition of his nature, which is truth: I am the way, the truth, and the life (John 14:6).

"Second, it is shown to be effective from the necessity with which it is imposed: he who does not believe will be condemned (Mark 16:16). Hence the truth of Sacred Scripture is proposed as a precept; hence it says: the commandments of God. These commandments direct the intellect by faith: you believe in God, believe also in me (John 14:1); they shape the affection by love: this is my commandment, that you love one another, as I have loved you (John 15:12); and they lead us to take action: do this, and you will live (Luke 10:28).

"Third, it is shown to be effective from the consistency of its message, because all who teach sacred doctrine teach the same doctrine: whether I, or they, so we preach, and so you have believed (1 Cor 15:11).

"The truth of this teaching of Scripture is immutable and eternal. Hence it follows: and the law that is forever. Heaven and earth will pass away; but my words will not pass away (Luke 21:33).

"First, because of the power of the lawgiver: for the Lord of hosts has decreed, and who can annul it? (Isa 14:27).

"Second, because of his immutability: I am God and I change not (Mal 3:6).

"Third, because of the truth of the law: all your commandments are truth (Ps 118:86).

"But the usefulness of this Scripture is the greatest: I am the Lord your God who teaches you useful things (Isa 48:17). Hence it follows: all they that keep it shall come to life. Indeed, this happens in three ways.

"First, there is the life of grace, to which Sacred Scripture disposes: the words that I have spoken to you are spirit and life (John 6:64).

"Second, there is the life of justice consisting in works, to which Sacred Scripture directs: your decrees I will never forget: for by them you have given me life (Ps 118:93).

"Third, there is the life of glory, which Sacred Scripture promises and to which it leads: Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life (John 6:69).

He goes on on the division of Scripture and so on, but this is enough. May the Lord who gave us the Sacred Scriptures, sufficient for all things, be praised forever and ever!

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy

Mantis

Nov 2, 2020
The wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have heard the word manifested. John 10:27 happened to me before I ever read the Bible. I met our Lord and I wanted more of him! The only place that I knew of to come after the Lord is the Bible. It is absolutely awesome that we have the word from our creator in an earth manual! No matter how many times you read it, there is always more to find in it. It gives me comfort. If I lost every possession I had besides a bible I would still be in good. I am trying to hide as much of it in my heart as I can incase someday we lose our bibles.