Rapture Debate: How can there be two "first" resurrections?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

boldncourageous

Dec 6, 2014
We know that 1 Cor. 15:42-54 tell us that the resurrection from the dead occurs in a twinkling of an eye/
We also know that 1 Thess. 4:16,17 also speak of this resurrection.

The question remains: If the rapture and second coming are two separate events. According to this doctrine, the first resurrection would include the "church" and the second would include the tribulation saints who died for not taking the mark of the beast. Why does Rev. 20:4,5 tell us that the "first" resurrection of the dead includes those who didn't take the mark?

Rev. 20:4,5
[4] And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.
[5] But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection.

What Scripture calls the "first" resurrection, those who believe in the rapture call the "second" resurrection.... is Scripture wrong?

StanJ

Lifelong student of God's Word.
May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The first resurrection is as you state. It is NOT confined to a narrow time frame, but happens during that 7 year period.
The second resurrection will be a one time thing, as you have also described from Revelation.

Marcus O'Reillius

Jan 20, 2014
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
boldncourageous said:
If the rapture and second coming are two separate events. According to this doctrine, the first resurrection would include the "church" and the second would include the tribulation saints who died for not taking the mark of the beast. Why does Rev. 20:4,5 tell us that the "first" resurrection of the dead includes those who didn't take the mark?
Your first sentence is just a prepositional clause, and not a whole sentence, but I will opine that the Rapture and Jesus' parousia, or second coming, are separate events.

I would just refine that and say that the actual order is Jesus' parousia occurs, and then the gathering of the Elect occurs. And furthermore, I conclude that these two separate events happen on the same day, although not exactly one right after another, but first He comes again, and then we are gathered up.

Scripture for this from Jesus Himself:
Mt 24:29 "But immediately after the tribulation of those days the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light, and the stars will fall from the sky, and the powers of the heavens will be shaken. 30 And then the sign of the Son of Man will appear in the sky, and then all the tribes of the earth will mourn, and they will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of the sky with power and great glory. 31 And He will send forth His angels with A great trumpet and they will gather together His elect from the four winds, from one end of the sky to the other.

In verse 29 we are given the prerequisite sign of the sun/moon/star event as per Joel 2:31
"The sun will be turned into darkness
And the moon into blood
Before the great and awesome day of the Lord comes.

In verse 30, the "sign" of the Son of Man appears in the sky.
  • This is not revealed here, but as a sign, it displays and announces.
  • Furthermore, everyone will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds.
  • And they will mourn.

In verse 31, Jesus sends out His Angels to gather the Elect.
  • Elect is used by Matthew (written after A.D.50) some 20 years after Jesus said this, probably in Aramaic (their spoken language which is akin to Hebrew) to reflect the composition of the Church. Elect is used in the NT to expand the Church beyond God's "chosen people", the Jews, because the Apostles discovered that the Holy Spirit was also for the Gentiles (as per Acts 10:45). Ergo, the NT speaks in slightly different terms for the Church and Paul makes the distinction between Jew and Christian in his letter to the Romans.
Paul reinforces this view of Jesus' parousia and the Rapture in his second letter to the Thessalonians.
2Th 2:1 ...with regard to the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and our gathering together to Him...
  • Here Paul links the two separate events together and gives their order in the same manner as Jesus did in the Olivet Discourse.
Now as to "our gathering together to Him" - that is spelled out in Paul's first letter to the Thessalonians:
1Th 4:16 For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. 17 Then we who are alive and remain will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air,
  • Again, Paul gives the order of events the same way: Jesus comes and then we are gathered up.
  • This gathering here though is selective, just as the Elect are selected out of the whole of humanity.
  • It only includes the "Dead in Christ" first: this would be all those souls who 'rest in peace' in Paradise. They are resurrected.
  • Then the Rapture comes for those who are alive, and notice the term, "remain", because previous to the Day of the Lord in Jesus' Olivet Discourse, the Great Tribulation will nearly kill off the Elect. But God interrupts that devilish persecution by timing the "unknown Day" so not all are killed.
The two groups that Paul mentions here coming up on the Day of the Lord do not include another group that we learn about later (by some 40 years in the first century) in the Bible: the book of Revelation.

Here the Father reveals through Jesus to John about the "holding place" for the Martyrs with the opening of the fifth Seal.
  • In chapter 6, verse 9, we find that these souls are almost there - and I liken their situation when the floor becomes like glass and John can see them beneath the Altar he saw before - as they're bumping into the original "glass ceiling".
  • They are told to wait until their number is complete.
  • They are not in Paradise, nor are they "resting" in peace. In fact, they're quite like the kids in the back of the car on a long trip: "Are we there yet?"
With the opening of the sixth Seal some other events happen:
  • First is the prerequisite celestial sign to the Day of the Lord: the sun/moon/star event.
  • I conclude that the sixth Seal is the time that God the Father steps in and interrupts the Great Tribulation with the Day of the Lord.
  • After the 144,000 are mustered (my word),
  • The Great Multitude appear for the first time in God's Temple in Heaven before the Father.
  • They come out of the Great Tribulation as an Elder explains to John.
I have concluded that the Great Multitude is made up of the very people that Paul talks about in 1Th 4:16 & 17.
  • They are the "Dead in Christ" - those normal, nominal Christians who lived and died normally before us (plus others who believed in Jesus like Daniel the prophet),
  • AND those Christians who manage to live through the Great Tribulation and not die from starvation/exposure nor do they succumb to being tested for their faith and having their heads chopped off.
The Great Multitude do not include the Martyrs.

Now to your question...

When we get to the parallel account within the Book of Revelation (which has several parallel accounts within it) starting with chapter 19 and going to the end of the book - the parallel account I call the Epilogue -
It starts near the end of the one 'seven' - that time most people commonly refer (and inaccurately too) as the 'Tribulation Period'.

When the 'one seven' is over - and the battle is won at Armageddon (set up in the detailed parallel account of the 'one seven' of chapters 13-16 in chapter 16):
- then the anti-Christ and the false prophet are judged (as told by an Elder in Rev
- then Satan is put on hold for a thousand years
- but more importantly with the end of the 'one seven' as per the sidebar account of the Temple and the Two Witnesses (Rev 11:1-13) the Two Witnesses have completed the number of the Martyrs originally seen in the fifth Seal!

So only at the end of it all, does John actually see, for the first time too, all the components of the first Resurrection:
  • the 144,000
  • the Dead in Christ
  • the ones who were alive and remained to be Raptured
  • the Martyrs.

The first Resurrection is ONLY for the spiritually "Living".
If you take the Mark of the Beast, you will have failed the test of faith, and seeking to save your life, you will lose it for all eternity.

So I would say your premise that the Second Resurrection "would include the tribulation saints who died for not taking the mark of the beast" is in error.

The Second Resurrection, at the end of the Millennium is the fish net that hauls ALL who were not part of the First Resurrection (the wicked who suffer God's Wrath and all those not part of the Elect - plus - those who lived and died during the Millennium) - and that those "fish" (souls) must be separated, good from bad.

The Second Resurrection includes both (spiritually) "Living" plus (spiritually) "Dead" - and both groups include no living souls like the Rapture, but are comprised of people who had died on the earth.

Marcus O'Reillius

Jan 20, 2014
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
boldncourageous said:
What Scripture calls the "first" resurrection, those who believe in the rapture call the "second" resurrection.... is Scripture wrong?
I do not call the First Resurrection of Rev 20:4-5 the "second" Resurrection.

Scripture is not wrong, yet I take Paul at his word in 1Th 4:17 and 1Co 15:51-52 - people who never experience death will be taken up to join those the Dead in Christ whom Jesus resurrects from the grave (i.e., Paradise, where Jesus and the thief on His Right went when they died; the bosom of Abraham in Luke 16).

The "resurrection" of the "Dead in Christ" - 1Th 4:16, on the Day of the Lord, is not THE (entire) First Resurrection, because it is not complete in including all those who will be with Jesus in Heaven during the Millennium.

Only when the Martyrs' number is complete with the addition of the Two Witnesses at the end of the one 'seven' do those souls, who were uncovered with the fifth Seal, come "alive" - that is: gain their immortal and imperishable bodies that are not made of flesh and blood as ours are.

John does not declare the Great Multitude as representing the "First Resurrection."

Only when the Martyrs are "made alive" in Rev 20:4-5 is it that this is the first time that John sees the complete assembly of saved souls in Heaven, and only then does he declare this complete assembly is the "First Resurrection."

Skitnik

Nov 12, 2015
Yeah! The 10 million first debate on pre-mid-post-no trib rapture debate and countless variations of it!
Why not just sit back, relax and let God decide? Live your life one day at a time as if today is a head on wreck or a "trib".

Naa, that would be no fun! Wouldn't it!? We have to have God "all figured out!" Which part of "NO ONE knows the day or the hour" don't you understand? Not even Jesus!

boldncourageous

Dec 6, 2014
Marcus O'Reillius said:
Your first sentence is just a prepositional clause, and not a whole sentence, but I will opine that the Rapture and Jesus' parousia, or second coming, are separate events.

I would just refine that and say that the actual order is Jesus' parousia occurs, and then the gathering of the Elect occurs. And furthermore, I conclude that these two separate events happen on the same day, although not exactly one right after another, but first He comes again, and then we are gathered up.

Scripture for this from Jesus Himself:
Mt 24:29 "But immediately after the tribulation of those days the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light, and the stars will fall from the sky, and the powers of the heavens will be shaken. 30 And then the sign of the Son of Man will appear in the sky, and then all the tribes of the earth will mourn, and they will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of the sky with power and great glory. 31 And He will send forth His angels with A great trumpet and they will gather together His elect from the four winds, from one end of the sky to the other.

In verse 29 we are given the prerequisite sign of the sun/moon/star event as per Joel 2:31
"The sun will be turned into darkness
And the moon into blood
Before the great and awesome day of the Lord comes.

In verse 30, the "sign" of the Son of Man appears in the sky.
  • This is not revealed here, but as a sign, it displays and announces.
  • Furthermore, everyone will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds.
  • And they will mourn.

In verse 31, Jesus sends out His Angels to gather the Elect.
  • Elect is used by Matthew (written after A.D.50) some 20 years after Jesus said this, probably in Aramaic (their spoken language which is akin to Hebrew) to reflect the composition of the Church. Elect is used in the NT to expand the Church beyond God's "chosen people", the Jews, because the Apostles discovered that the Holy Spirit was also for the Gentiles (as per Acts 10:45). Ergo, the NT speaks in slightly different terms for the Church and Paul makes the distinction between Jew and Christian in his letter to the Romans.
Paul reinforces this view of Jesus' parousia and the Rapture in his second letter to the Thessalonians.
2Th 2:1 ...with regard to the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and our gathering together to Him...
  • Here Paul links the two separate events together and gives their order in the same manner as Jesus did in the Olivet Discourse.
Now as to "our gathering together to Him" - that is spelled out in Paul's first letter to the Thessalonians:
1Th 4:16 For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. 17 Then we who are alive and remain will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air,
  • Again, Paul gives the order of events the same way: Jesus comes and then we are gathered up.
  • This gathering here though is selective, just as the Elect are selected out of the whole of humanity.
  • It only includes the "Dead in Christ" first: this would be all those souls who 'rest in peace' in Paradise. They are resurrected.
  • Then the Rapture comes for those who are alive, and notice the term, "remain", because previous to the Day of the Lord in Jesus' Olivet Discourse, the Great Tribulation will nearly kill off the Elect. But God interrupts that devilish persecution by timing the "unknown Day" so not all are killed.
The two groups that Paul mentions here coming up on the Day of the Lord do not include another group that we learn about later (by some 40 years in the first century) in the Bible: the book of Revelation.

Here the Father reveals through Jesus to John about the "holding place" for the Martyrs with the opening of the fifth Seal.
  • In chapter 6, verse 9, we find that these souls are almost there - and I liken their situation when the floor becomes like glass and John can see them beneath the Altar he saw before - as they're bumping into the original "glass ceiling".
  • They are told to wait until their number is complete.
  • They are not in Paradise, nor are they "resting" in peace. In fact, they're quite like the kids in the back of the car on a long trip: "Are we there yet?"
With the opening of the sixth Seal some other events happen:
  • First is the prerequisite celestial sign to the Day of the Lord: the sun/moon/star event.
  • I conclude that the sixth Seal is the time that God the Father steps in and interrupts the Great Tribulation with the Day of the Lord.
  • After the 144,000 are mustered (my word),
  • The Great Multitude appear for the first time in God's Temple in Heaven before the Father.
  • They come out of the Great Tribulation as an Elder explains to John.
I have concluded that the Great Multitude is made up of the very people that Paul talks about in 1Th 4:16 & 17.
  • They are the "Dead in Christ" - those normal, nominal Christians who lived and died normally before us (plus others who believed in Jesus like Daniel the prophet),
  • AND those Christians who manage to live through the Great Tribulation and not die from starvation/exposure nor do they succumb to being tested for their faith and having their heads chopped off.
The Great Multitude do not include the Martyrs.

Now to your question...

When we get to the parallel account within the Book of Revelation (which has several parallel accounts within it) starting with chapter 19 and going to the end of the book - the parallel account I call the Epilogue -
It starts near the end of the one 'seven' - that time most people commonly refer (and inaccurately too) as the 'Tribulation Period'.

When the 'one seven' is over - and the battle is won at Armageddon (set up in the detailed parallel account of the 'one seven' of chapters 13-16 in chapter 16):
- then the anti-Christ and the false prophet are judged (as told by an Elder in Rev
- then Satan is put on hold for a thousand years
- but more importantly with the end of the 'one seven' as per the sidebar account of the Temple and the Two Witnesses (Rev 11:1-13) the Two Witnesses have completed the number of the Martyrs originally seen in the fifth Seal!

So only at the end of it all, does John actually see, for the first time too, all the components of the first Resurrection:
  • the 144,000
  • the Dead in Christ
  • the ones who were alive and remained to be Raptured
  • the Martyrs.

The first Resurrection is ONLY for the spiritually "Living".
If you take the Mark of the Beast, you will have failed the test of faith, and seeking to save your life, you will lose it for all eternity.

So I would say your premise that the Second Resurrection "would include the tribulation saints who died for not taking the mark of the beast" is in error.

The Second Resurrection, at the end of the Millennium is the fish net that hauls ALL who were not part of the First Resurrection (the wicked who suffer God's Wrath and all those not part of the Elect - plus - those who lived and died during the Millennium) - and that those "fish" (souls) must be separated, good from bad.

The Second Resurrection includes both (spiritually) "Living" plus (spiritually) "Dead" - and both groups include no living souls like the Rapture, but are comprised of people who had died on the earth.
Where you state: "so I would say your premise that the Second Resurrection "would include the tribulation saints who died for not taking the mark of the beast" is in error"
Seems you ignored the Scripture Rev 20:4,5. It is this Scripture that is focused upon here not my paraphrase of it. You have a seriously long response that ignores the point. Let's keep to the foundation of the topic here, and that is that the Word of God calls the parousia the "first" resurrection.

boldncourageous

Dec 6, 2014
Marcus O'Reillius said:
I do not call the First Resurrection of Rev 20:4-5 the "second" Resurrection.

Scripture is not wrong, yet I take Paul at his word in 1Th 4:17 and 1Co 15:51-52 - people who never experience death will be taken up to join those the Dead in Christ whom Jesus resurrects from the grave (i.e., Paradise, where Jesus and the thief on His Right went when they died; the bosom of Abraham in Luke 16).

The "resurrection" of the "Dead in Christ" - 1Th 4:16, on the Day of the Lord, is not THE (entire) First Resurrection, because it is not complete in including all those who will be with Jesus in Heaven during the Millennium.

Only when the Martyrs' number is complete with the addition of the Two Witnesses at the end of the one 'seven' do those souls, who were uncovered with the fifth Seal, come "alive" - that is: gain their immortal and imperishable bodies that are not made of flesh and blood as ours are.

John does not declare the Great Multitude as representing the "First Resurrection."

Only when the Martyrs are "made alive" in Rev 20:4-5 is it that this is the first time that John sees the complete assembly of saved souls in Heaven, and only then does he declare this complete assembly is the "First Resurrection."
So you DO believe that there are TWO "first" resurrections. The first of the two "first" resurrections do not complete it, as you say... without the second of the "first" two resurrections... As I thought, and the reason for the topic. So in effect you add to the book of Rev. by adding an event to the event addressed... the "first" resurrection that includes those martyred for not taking the mark. Very plain and simple. I like to believe that the Gospel is simple through and through. Twisting it requires requires all sorts of explanations to explain it all away... not to mention, additions. Peter who Jesus called a rock and on this rock I will build my CHURCH, wrote to the CHURCH in 2 Peter 3:10-18 In which he teaches the church the parousia. In the context of eschatology, he then address Paul's teachings, and how man twists them. Interesting that its in Paul's teachings of the end times that the rapture doctrine is funneled.

boldncourageous

Dec 6, 2014
StanJ said:
The first resurrection is as you state. It is NOT confined to a narrow time frame, but happens during that 7 year period.
The second resurrection will be a one time thing, as you have also described from Revelation.
Please explain your second line. There is no 2nd resurrection being described in Revelation 20:4,5. Revelation specifically states the resurrection of the dead martyrs who didn't take the mark of the beast (Rev. 20:4) are in the "first" resurrection (Rev. 20:5) There is no "first" and "second" prior to the 1000 yr millennium according to Rev. 20:4,5. My statement, was that the rapture doctrine adds to this passage in Rev., so by you stating that it is how I described it, then you are also agreeing that the rapture doctrine is indeed adding to the book of Revelation.

Marcus O'Reillius

Jan 20, 2014
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
boldncourageous said:
So you DO believe that there are TWO "first" resurrections.
No you silly hen. Don't tell me I believe something that I do not.

The First Resurrection is before the Millennium.
The Second Resurrection is after the Millennium.

The First Resurrection is only for the "Living": the righteous whom God selects.
The Second Resurrection summons all, both righteous and wicked.

The First Resurrection begins on the Day of the Lord, when the 144,000 are mustered, the Dead in Christ are raised from Paradise, and those who are alive and remain are gathered up. The Rapture is only for that last small group.

The First Resurrection is not complete, nor is it declared to be (by Jesus through John) until the Martyrs are made alive, and those fifth Seal souls are only made so when their number is complete - and that doesn't happen until after the one 'seven' is over.

Now there is quite a bit of material which does address your contention for no Rapture, which you are unable to rebut.
Good day.

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Marcus O'Reillius said:
No you silly hen. Don't tell me I believe something that I do not.

The First Resurrection is before the Millennium.
The Second Resurrection is after the Millennium.

The First Resurrection is only for the "Living": the righteous whom God selects.
The Second Resurrection summons all, both righteous and wicked.

The First Resurrection begins on the Day of the Lord, when the 144,000 are mustered, the Dead in Christ are raised from Paradise, and those who are alive and remain are gathered up. The Rapture is only for that last small group.

The First Resurrection is not complete, nor is it declared to be (by Jesus through John) until the Martyrs are made alive, and those fifth Seal souls are only made so when their number is complete - and that doesn't happen until after the one 'seven' is over.

Now there is quite a bit of material which does address your contention for no Rapture, which you are unable to rebut.
Good day.
I don't possess the kind of scholarship that you regularly demonstrate, but you have described exactly what the Lord has been teaching me through my scripture readings (so I'm happy to agree with you.) What I'm still unsure of is the disposition of the "old testament saints," such as Daniel who was instructed to rest and arise to his inheritance at the end of days. Is this inheritance in the millennial kingdom, or in the new earth which the LORD creates after the final judgment (or both)? My confusion is over the phrase "at the end of days" and since I don't read the original languages I'm unsure if the translation is literal.

Marcus O'Reillius

Jan 20, 2014
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Michael V Pardo said:
I don't possess the kind of scholarship that you regularly demonstrate, but you have described exactly what the Lord has been teaching me through my scripture readings (so I'm happy to agree with you.) What I'm still unsure of is the disposition of the "old testament saints," such as Daniel who was instructed to rest and arise to his inheritance at the end of days. Is this inheritance in the millennial kingdom, or in the new earth which the LORD creates after the final judgment (or both)? My confusion is over the phrase "at the end of days" and since I don't read the original languages I'm unsure if the translation is literal.
When we "receive" Christ, the word the Apostles used to convey that is paralambano.
This Greek word is a little more complicated than just a one-for-one meaning for the verb: to receive.

paralambano means to take over, to receive, to inherit. It is used in the Greek world to describe how instruction is received from a teacher. Also in context of the Greek world it would mean to inherit secrets, especially by oral means. The ‘taking over’ refers then to a position of idea, rather than a physical carriage from place to place.

In Daniel 12, which is the first instance in the Bible to show two resurrections, Daniel is told in the last verse to wait rest until he receives his allotted inheritance. paralambano carries just such a meaning, so there is a distinct possibility that Daniel would be one of the Elect, those "selected by God" at the Resurrection of the Dead in Christ from Paradise.

In the book of Enoch, which is referenced as Scripture by the New Testament authors, but which sadly, we don't have readily available in our Bible, he describes four caves in the Heavenly landscape for keeping the dead. One of those had a light. I do not know how God accounts for all the dead, but in Luke 16, Jesus describes a place split in two: Paradise and Hades. In 2Pe 3, Peter recalls a third place where spirits from the time of Noah are kept. In Isaiah 14, the prophet describes a place where Kings are buried. I don't know if the four "caves" reference those spots.
  • Because of the similarity between the Hebrew word for pebble, used to convey the throwing of which to determine one's "lot", and our receiving our "lot" in Christ, It is distinctly possible that souls like Daniel who looked to the Lord to save them, could be called up on the "last day" when the Dead in Christ rise.
  • On the other hand, he could join the only time Jewish people are resurrected from the grave to life on earth as foretold in Ezekiel 37. In which case, Daniel would enjoy the Millennium peace of Christ and he would then join the Elect at the second Resurrection as one of the "Sheep".
  • The last possibility is that he rests until the second Resurrection and again, is found to be in the Book of Life, and so joins the Elect who already were in Heaven.

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
boldncourageous said:
The question remains: If the rapture and second coming are two separate events.
The second coming (parousia) is one coming inside multiple events. His second coming begins with rapture. 1 Cor 15, 1 Thess 4, Rev 20 are in reference to the first resurrection and rapture. These two events are probably minutes apart. First resurrection occurs first.

1 Thess 4:15 NIV According to the Lord's word, we tell you that we who are still alive, who are left until the coming (parousia) of the Lord, will certainly not precede those who have fallen asleep.

Prewrath Rapture of the Church by Marvin Rosenthal
http://www.middletownbiblechurch.org/proph/prewra01.JPG

1. Antichrist signs peace treaty with Israel to begin the 70th week Isa 28:15 NIV, Isa 28:18 NIV, Isa 57:8-9 NIV, Dan 9:27 NIV, Rev 6:2 NIV, Rev 6:8 NIV.
2. The third temple is built Ez 40-48 NIV, Dan 9:27 NIV, 2 Thess 2:3-4 NIV.
3. The first 3.5 years are birth pains, the first four seals are open along with apostasy of Jews Dan 11:36-45 NIV, Matt 24:4-7, 2 Thess 2:3 NIV, Rev 6:1-8 NIV.
4. At the middle of the 70th week the abomination of desolation takes place Dan 9:27 NIV, Dan 11:31 NIV, Dan 12:11 NIV, Matt 24:15 NIV, 2 Thess 2:3-4 NIV.
5. Michael the angel, the restrainer is removed here Dan 12:1 NIV, 2 Thess 2:6-12 NIV, Rev 12:6-12 NIV.
6. Immediately after the abomination of desolation the fifth seal is open and the Great Tribulation begins, man's rebellion against God Rev 6:9-11 NIV.
7. This is right around where the two witnesses make their appearance and prophesy for 1,260 days Mal 4:5 NIV, Rev 11:2-3 NIV.
8. The last 3.5 years of the 70th week now begins.
9. Then the Great Tribulation is cut short around the middle of the last 3.5 years Matt 24:22 NIV.
10. Immediately after the Great Tribulation ends cosmic disturbances occur before the Day of the Lord begins.
11. The 144,000 are then sealed before the rapture, so they can enter the Day of the Lord without harm Rev 7:2-4 NIV.
12. The rapture occurs at the seventh seal, after the Great Tribulation and at the beginning of the Day of the Lord Matt 25:31-46 NIV, Rev 7:14 NIV, Rev 8:1-5 NIV.
13. The Bema Seat of Christ is here Matt 16:27 NIV, Luke 14:14-15 NIV, 2 Cor 5:10 NIV, Rev 19:8-9 NIV, Rev 22:12 NIV.
14. The Feast/Marriage Supper of the Lamb is also here Luke 14:14-15 NIV, Rev 7:9 NIV, Rev 19:1 NIV, Rev 19:9 NIV.
15. Then begins the Day of the Lord, the start of God's wrath of trumpets. The 5th trumpet will also last five months Rev 9:5 NIV.
16. At the end of the 70th week the beast will kill the two witnesses, but after 3.5 days they will come alive Rev 11:7-12 NIV.
17. Very few people will be left after the 70th week is complete Zech 13:8-9 NIV.
18. Jesus Christ landing on the Mount of Olives is here Zech 9:14-17 NIV, Zech 10:1-12 NIV, Zech 12:10-14 NIV, Zech 14:4 NIV, Mal 3:2-4 NIV, Matt 25:31-46 NIV, Rom 11:26-27 NIV, Jude 1:14-15 NIV, Rev 19:11-21 NIV.
19. After the 70th week is complete the bowl judgments begin for 30 days Dan 12:11 NIV, Zech 12:10-14 NIV.
20. Then the 45 days begin for cleansing of the Temple Dan 12:12 NIV, Zech 13:1-6 NIV.
21. After the 45 days are finished the 1,000 year millennium begins Rev 20:4-6 NIV.
22. Nonbelievers will also be a part of the 1,000 year millennium Zech 14:16-19 NIV.
23. After the 1,000 years are finished, the dead believers and nonbelievers that are left over will be judged Rev 20:11-15 NIV.
24. Then a New Heaven and a New Earth will appear making everything new Rev 21:1-8 NIV.
25. Lastly, Eden is restored in which we now live with Jesus Christ forever and ever. Amen Rev 22:1-5 NIV.

Side Note 1: The full seven years are never called "the tribulation period", rather the 70th week is the proper name to describe the seven years.

Side Note 2: The Great Tribulation and the Day of the Lord are not the same event. The GT is man's rebellion against God, and the Day of the Lord is God's wrath against man. These two events are split in half in the last 3.5 years of the 70th week. The church will have to go through the first five seals and also the GT, but they will be raptured before the Day of the Lord begins, God's wrath of trumpets and bowls. The church will witness the signing of the peace treaty, the third temple built, the first four seals opening, the abomination of desolation, the two witnesses, the fifth seal opening, the GT of man's rebellion and the sixth seal of cosmic disturbances in the sun, moon and stars before they are raptured.

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

• Because of the similarity between the Hebrew word for pebble, used to convey the throwing of which to determine one's "lot", and our receiving our "lot" in Christ, It is distinctly possible that souls like Daniel who looked to the Lord to save them, could be called up on the "last day" when the Dead in Christ rise.
  • On the other hand, he could join the only time Jewish people are resurrected from the grave to life on earth as foretold in Ezekiel 37. In which case, Daniel would enjoy the Millennium peace of Christ and he would then join the Elect at the second Resurrection as one of the "Sheep".
  • The last possibility is that he rests until the second Resurrection and again, is found to be in the Book of Life, and so joins the Elect who already were in Heaven.

Thank you so much for your response. While reading it the phrase "resurrection of the just" came to mind, and a quick search brought up Acts 24:15 in which Paul is speaking about the resurrection of the just and the unjust (in the NKJV). My Young's literal translation uses the terms righteous and unrighteous. Paul doesn't give us the division in time that we find in the book of the Revelation, but does at least break up the resurrection into two resurrections descriptively.
The radio teachers that I've listened to over the years often explain Ezekiel chapter 37 as a spiritual renewal of the nation of Israel rather than a physical resurrection, but I am inclined to take the passage literally (though the Lord hasn't really given me any insights into the passage.)
Now, we understand righteousness to be obtainable only through faith in Christ when we examine the various passages which speak to the topic in the New Testament, and I've heard and also have some instruction from the Lord that "Old testament saints" received a righteousness from God by looking forward to the cross in faith (or to redemption by God), while we look back at it (and the price of our redemption in the blood of our savior.)
However, prior to the cross, the Jews had a promise of an imputed righteousness in the keeping of the law which we find in Deuteronomy 6:25. Without seeking to contradict the Apostle Paul, we do find in the gospels, the simple statement that the priest Zachariah and his wife (the parents of John, called the Baptist) were both righteous in the sight of God, Luke 1:6, though Zachariah didn't seem to have faith to believe God when he was visited by the Angel Gabriel while serving in the temple. So it would seem that they met the requirements of the law, (though they may have indeed been awaiting the appearance of the Messiah.) We also find other men in the old testament being labeled as righteous men, such as Job (who also looked forward to the resurrection.)
You mentioned the possibility of Daniel being selected to join the elect as one of the sheep at the second resurrection, but my understanding is that the division of the sheep and goats occurs at the beginning of the millennial kingdom and not at the end. To clarify, the sheep are to inherit a kingdom prepared for them, while the goats are to be cast into "outer darkness." While many people equate the outer darkness with Hell and the lake of burning fire, descriptively they seem unrelated, but more significantly, one of the more respected biblical teachers that I've listened to once explained that during the wilderness journey of the tribes of Israel, the area outside the camp of Israel was referred to as the "outer darkness." I don't find this information in scripture and am unable to verify it, but it makes sense from the point of view we find in Exodus when pharaoh's army is pursuing the tribes of Israel. When Moses is about to lead the people through the red sea, the angel of God put Himself between the attacking army and the fleeing Israelites. The Israelites had their path illuminated by the "column of fire" but the Egyptians saw only clouds and darkness (all night) (at least in the NKJV) Exodus 14:20

I have to rise at 3:45 for work and this is taking me much longer than it should (because my bible software refuses to open and manually searching with my kindle is quite a bit slower) so I'll quit here and allow opposing views to object and try to proceed from there. Thank you again for your response and faithfulness to the content and context of the scripture.