Recalling the once Sicarii-like ways

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am studying the history of the Jewish Roman wars, especially between 37 - 135 AD, and beginning to get hot around 40AD when Caligula ordered the erection of a statue of himself in the Temple of Jerusalem.

35AD - Christ Crucified and the Jewish persecution against the church
40AD - Caligula orders the erection of a statue of himself in the Temple of Jerusalem
45AD - Jacob and Simon uprising against Rome
65AD - Escalating religious tensions, anti-taxation protests and attacks upon Roman citizens
70AD - Titus sacks Jerusalem and Masada falls soon thereafter
115AD - The Kitos War crushed by Roman legionary forces
130AD - The Bar Kokhba revolt which resulted in the extensive depopulation of Judea

Characterizing Jewish people during the time of Christ we have groups such as the Sicarii, one of the earliest known organized assassination units of cloak and daggers. These looked like ordinary citizens, until they would pull their cloak, draw their dagger, and basically put an end to whoever was in their way. The Apostle Paul nearly met his end early on at the hands of the Sicarii on several occasions as they would lay in wait for him....

And when it was day, certain of the Jews banded together, and bound themselves under a curse, saying that they would neither eat nor drink till they had killed Paul. And they were more than forty which had made this conspiracy. - Acts 23:12-14

And after that many days were fulfilled, the Jews took counsel to kill him: But their laying await was known of Saul. And they watched the gates day and night to kill him. - Acts 9:23-24

Had not Paul been converted and it would have been some-other, Paul would have resembled the Sicarii, and would have laid in wait in like manner for that some-other. But, the Apostle Paul was truly converted, and the religion affected his Sicarii-like heart, making for an amazing spiritual transformation, rendering him as like a teddy bear....

"But we were gentle among you, even as a nurse cherisheth her children:" - 1 Thessalonians 2:7

And Paul recalling his once Sicarii-like ways...

Put them in mind to be subject to principalities and powers, to obey magistrates, to be ready to every good work, To speak evil of no man, to be no brawlers, but gentle, shewing all meekness unto all men. For we ourselves also were sometimes... foolish, disobedient, deceived, serving divers lusts and pleasures, living in malice and envy, hateful, and hating one another. - Titus 3:1-3

And I say... It is easy for any Christian to develop Sicarii-like ways, and we should always remember...

Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light. - Matthew 11:28-30

And finding those good ways of Christ, we should put away the things of our former life....

22 That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts;
23 And be renewed in the spirit of your mind;
24 And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.
25 Wherefore putting away lying, speak every man truth with his neighbour: for we are members one of another.
26 Be ye angry, and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath:
27 Neither give place to the devil.
28 Let him that stole steal no more: but rather let him labour, working with his hands the thing which is good, that he may have to give to him that needeth.
29 Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.
30 And grieve not the Holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.
31 Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice:
32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. - Ephesians 4

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am studying the history of the Jewish Roman wars, especially between 37 - 135 AD, and beginning to get hot around 40AD when Caligula ordered the erection of a statue of himself in the Temple of Jerusalem.

35AD - Christ Crucified and the Jewish persecution against the church
40AD - Caligula orders the erection of a statue of himself in the Temple of Jerusalem
45AD - Jacob and Simon uprising against Rome
65AD - Escalating religious tensions, anti-taxation protests and attacks upon Roman citizens
70AD - Titus sacks Jerusalem and Masada falls soon thereafter
115AD - The Kitos War crushed by Roman legionary forces
130AD - The Bar Kokhba revolt which resulted in the extensive depopulation of Judea

Characterizing Jewish people during the time of Christ we have groups such as the Sicarii, one of the earliest known organized assassination units of cloak and daggers. These looked like ordinary citizens, until they would pull their cloak, draw their dagger, and basically put an end to whoever was in their way. The Apostle Paul nearly met his end early on at the hands of the Sicarii on several occasions as they would lay in wait for him....

And when it was day, certain of the Jews banded together, and bound themselves under a curse, saying that they would neither eat nor drink till they had killed Paul. And they were more than forty which had made this conspiracy. - Acts 23:12-14

And after that many days were fulfilled, the Jews took counsel to kill him: But their laying await was known of Saul. And they watched the gates day and night to kill him. - Acts 9:23-24

Had not Paul been converted and it would have been some-other, Paul would have resembled the Sicarii, and would have laid in wait in like manner for that some-other. But, the Apostle Paul was truly converted, and the religion affected his Sicarii-like heart, making for an amazing spiritual transformation, rendering him as like a teddy bear....

"But we were gentle among you, even as a nurse cherisheth her children:" - 1 Thessalonians 2:7

And Paul recalling his once Sicarii-like ways...

Put them in mind to be subject to principalities and powers, to obey magistrates, to be ready to every good work, To speak evil of no man, to be no brawlers, but gentle, shewing all meekness unto all men. For we ourselves also were sometimes... foolish, disobedient, deceived, serving divers lusts and pleasures, living in malice and envy, hateful, and hating one another. - Titus 3:1-3

And I say... It is easy for any Christian to develop Sicarii-like ways, and we should always remember...

Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light. - Matthew 11:28-30

And finding those good ways of Christ, we should put away the things of our former life....

22 That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts;
23 And be renewed in the spirit of your mind;
24 And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.
25 Wherefore putting away lying, speak every man truth with his neighbour: for we are members one of another.
26 Be ye angry, and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath:
27 Neither give place to the devil.
28 Let him that stole steal no more: but rather let him labour, working with his hands the thing which is good, that he may have to give to him that needeth.
29 Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.
30 And grieve not the Holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.
31 Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice:
32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. - Ephesians 4
From 148AD-1948AD - 1800 years outside their homeland. For this reason, and for the failure of so many military campaigns mentioned above, the Jewish people should have learned that God was not at all pleased with their hand in the crucifixion of Christ.