Renewing the Mind

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What about . . . no commercial broadcasts, TV, radio, whatever, to stop the world's worldview from streaming into our minds?

Commercial radio and Television rely on advertising dollars, advertising dollars are dictated by ratings, and ratings are reached by appealing to the greatest number of people. You can do the math on that one. I think it affects the content no matter what label the broadcaster wears.

Just a thought . . .

And then there's the question of what to do with that time, for those who maybe watch like I did.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did you have to read George Orwell 1984 in high school? It was required reading where I was. Of course, I'd been reading since I was 3, and if I remember right, I had devoured that one before I was a freshman.

Orwell made the point that we can only think of things using the tools of cognition that exist in our minds - Words.

We form our thoughts in many ways, but we focus and crystalize and express them with words. Take away the words - Newspeak - doubleplus ungood I might add - and people lose the ability to form more than longings and angst for that which they cannot name.

Neurolinguistic Programing involves the idea that the words we use to think of things have a profound effect on how the brain processes. Just follow the eye as you read these things, you see what I am saying. "Don't fail" sets "failure" as the drain to try not to swirl around. "Succeed" sets "success" as the glistening city in the sky.

The prince of the power of the air works in the children of disobedience, and I have an idea of something that this spirit power may be doing. IF my suspicions are correct, then interwoven into the lot of it are the linguistic and conceptual tools that - may be? - will be? - internalized into the mind, to direct that flow of thought.

Much love!

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
What about . . . no commercial broadcasts, TV, radio, whatever, to stop the world's worldview from streaming into our minds?

Commercial radio and Television rely on advertising dollars, advertising dollars are dictated by ratings, and ratings are reached by appealing to the greatest number of people. You can do the math on that one. I think it affects the content no matter what label the broadcaster wears.

Just a thought . . .

And then there's the question of what to do with that time, for those who maybe watch like I did.

Much love!
I don't watch much TV, but what I do watch I pre-record so that I can cut out all the ads because a lot of the ads are very worldly. A lot of the drama on the UK networks these days is quite dark so I steer clear of them and prefer educational stuff and my favourite at the moment is a weekly documentary about the Yorkshire Moors Steam Railway and the characters who volunteer in a variety of capacities and keep the old locos running.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't watch much TV, but what I do watch I pre-record so that I can cut out all the ads because a lot of the ads are very worldly. A lot of the drama on the UK networks these days is quite dark so I steer clear of them and prefer educational stuff and my favourite at the moment is a weekly documentary about the Yorkshire Moors Steam Railway and the characters who volunteer in a variety of capacities and keep the old locos running.
My wife and I like to watch while we eat dinner, and it's only what we have as recorded media.

One of our very favorites is Law & Order|UK. Ronnie is the best! A man worthy of emulation.

I've learned to stay way clear of dark, and violent, and, as its been getting on 10 years, when I occassionally hear about what goes out on the airwaves, it astounds me!

Much love!

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
My wife and I like to watch while we eat dinner, and it's only what we have as recorded media.

One of our very favorites is Law & Order|UK. Ronnie is the best! A man worthy of emulation.

I've learned to stay way clear of dark, and violent, and, as its been getting on 10 years, when I occassionally hear about what goes out on the airwaves, it astounds me!

Much love!
We watch the local and national news at 6pm while we eat our evening meal and then it goes off till later in the evening. I usually read or come on here.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Christians should have already come to two conclusions:
1. Media broadcasts are pure garbage.
2. The Bible is a treasure trove of unlimited value.

So what to do with spare time should be obvious.

Last edited:

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christians should have already come to two conclusions:
1. Media broadcasts are pure garbage.
2. The Bible is a treasure trove of unlimited value.

So what to do with spare time should be obvious.

Only by the Holy Spirit's power are old negative habits broken. Because this is absolute fact. It has been easy to say all this time. But not To stop. To renew my mind, this is something personally I have to nip in the bud.

Renewing the mind is something you must desperately want in order to die to the flesh.

Romans 12 says:

Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect.
ROMANS 12:1‭-‬2 NASB

Only way to become a living sacrifice and show God's perfect will through us, is by transforming our minds by renewing it with God's Word. By tapping into the power of God's Word, meditating on it will change our thoughts and desires.

Basically, media is an ear for gossip. I think it is good as Christians to know what is going on, but it should be limited.

I just saw this too, but basically Romans 12 says prove it! If you are a Christian, renew your mind and be a living sacrifice!!!!

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Renewing the mind is something you must desperately want in order to die to the flesh.
Those who are born again and have the indwelling Holy Spirit will be driven by the Spirit to feed on the Word of God. The sad fact is that too many churches are remaining on the milk of the Word and neglecting the meat. Paul expected all mature Christians to be feeding on the deep things of God.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Those who are born again and have the indwelling Holy Spirit will be driven by the Spirit to feed on the Word of God. The sad fact is that too many churches are remaining on the milk of the Word and neglecting the meat. Paul expected all mature Christians to be feeding on the deep things of God.

I believe that is why Ive been visiting a second church. Ive needed more to chew on. And I feel like Ive woke up in away. It is so easy to drift away from our first love. The devil has a tactic to distract...and it is foolish to succumb to it, but most have if not all.

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans 12
King James Bible Par ▾
1 Corinthians 3:16-18; 1 Corinthians 6:18-20)

1I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. 2And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

3For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith. 4For as we have many members in one body, and all members have not the same office: 5So we, being many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another. 6Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, whether prophecy, let us prophesy according to the proportion of faith; 7Or ministry, let us wait on our ministering: or he that teacheth, on teaching; 8Or he that exhorteth, on exhortation: he that giveth, let him do it with simplicity; he that ruleth, with diligence; he that sheweth mercy, with cheerfulness.

John 13:31-35; 1 John 3:11-24)

9Let love be without dissimulation. Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good. 10Be kindly affectioned one to another with brotherly love; in honour preferring one another; 11Not slothful in business; fervent in spirit; serving the Lord; 12Rejoicing in hope; patient in tribulation; continuing instant in prayer; 13Distributing to the necessity of saints; given to hospitality.

Matthew 18:21-35)

14Bless them which persecute you: bless, and curse not. 15Rejoice with them that do rejoice, and weep with them that weep. 16Be of the same mind one toward another. Mind not high things, but condescend to men of low estate. Be not wise in your own conceits. 17Recompense to no man evil for evil. Provide things honest in the sight of all men. 18If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men. 19Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord. 20Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head. 21Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good.

Song title: Amazing grace

Song title: amazing grace - Bing video

Last edited:

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe that is why Ive been visiting a second church. Ive needed more to chew on. And I feel like Ive woke up in away. It is so easy to drift away from our first love. The devil has a tactic to distract...and it is foolish to succumb to it, but most have if not all.

Hi Mayflower,
I myself have recently left a Church after 2.5 yrs. Going to this other one (one of my old Church's moved a campus near me!) is like, well...coming home! We all might be the Body of Christ but, it does not mean we are to stay in only one local body because "it's were I've always gone" or, it's habit or some such. God just might very well need your particular gift in another local body of believers. Amen!

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Mayflower,
I myself have recently left a Church after 2.5 yrs. Going to this other one (one of my old Church's moved a campus near me!) is like, well...coming home! We all might be the Body of Christ but, it does not mean we are to stay in only one local body because "it's were I've always gone" or, it's habit or some such. God just might very well need your particular gift in another local body of believers. Amen!

Thank you for this. Ive been going to my church for 7 years. Last thing I want to do is for anyone to think less of it. They are my family. But I feel like I am learning and growing more right now at this other church and Ive only been going for about a month. I am going to both churches until God tells me to stop or choose one.

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Just a thought . . .

Much love!
Amen, We agree to the above, living by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God. The supreme act of worship is to keep the commandments, to follow in the footsteps of the Son of God, to do ever those things that please him.

But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

Matthew 4:4

Reactions: Mayflower

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you for this. Ive been going to my church for 7 years. Last thing I want to do is for anyone to think less of it. They are my family. But I feel like I am learning and growing more right now at this other church and Ive only been going for about a month. I am going to both churches until God tells me to stop or choose one.
After I got saved I was in the Church of England but it had its limitations and after a while I felt my hunger wasn't being satisfied. We had been there for 7 years when we felt the prompting of God to be baptised and to do that we had to leave. The church we joined had started in people's homes and grown and we used to say that instead of spiritual snacking we were now getting a meat and two veg meal. In the UK that means a full roast dinner.

Last edited:

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, good for you! Your spirit is hungry for meat! lol. I do think we can outgrow a Church. It is not at all easy to leave one if you have close ties there but, we do need to obey Him and go where He leads us. ♥

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
sometimes we have to move on but remember this if your moving to go to a perfect church.. it will not last as perfect because your there.. were a bunch of imperfect people living in a not perfect world trying to serve a perfect saviour