Repentance after death

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Trump0101

Jan 7, 2018
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe it totally goes against the nature of God to condemn Any meek, charitable, humble, honest person who has a heart of gold and follows their conscience. There are many Buddhists, atheists, and polytheists who have those virtues.

The dead will be resurrected before being judged. After being resurrected and discovering the truth, how do you know they cannot repent, believe in the truth, accept the necessary defense attorney, and be saved?

I'm amazed at how many Christians argue against this possibility and say there's no Second Chances. Yet they cannot produce one shred of evidence from scripture that says that.

Reactions: K9Buck

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I believe it totally goes against the nature of God to condemn Any meek, charitable, humble, honest person who has a heart of gold and follows their conscience. There are many Buddhists, atheists, and polytheists who have those virtues.

The dead will be resurrected before being judged. After being resurrected and discovering the truth, how do you know they cannot repent, believe in the truth, accept the necessary defense attorney, and be saved?

I'm amazed at how many Christians argue against this possibility and say there's no Second Chances. Yet they cannot produce one shred of evidence from scripture that says that.
I have already quoted two biblical verses and I'll give you a third. Rev and books where opened and if anyones name was not found written in the Lambs book of life they were thrown inti the lake of fire.

Trump0101

Jan 7, 2018
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have already quoted two biblical verses and I'll give you a third. Rev and books where opened and if anyones name was not found written in the Lambs book of life they were thrown inti the lake of fire.
You never addressed the possibility of repentance after death before being judged

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
You never addressed the possibility of repentance after death before being judged
And who was standing before the judgement throne and these books?

The dead. As Hebrews say after death comes judgement. There is no second chance.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

This is that second chance. If you want scripture, here it is: "It is written", and here: "before the foundation of the world."

But you have not been listening. Nor have you perceived from all of scripture that all people were first fallen, and are now in the world having been given that second chance.

Fall once, shame on Me (Jesus takes the fall), fall twice, shame on you.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is your time of taking the stand. You are now being cross examined. At the judgement, the verdict will already be in.

PS, Send the plane...we need to talk.

Trump0101

Jan 7, 2018
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And if somebody tells me their Buddhist mother died without believing in Jesus, I have to tell them that sorry , your mother is burning in hell for all eternity... And you really think that's going to bring somebody to Christ?

Reactions: bbyrd009 and Helen

Trump0101

Jan 7, 2018
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I knew a girl who didn't want to be Christian because her father committed suicide and was not a Christian. She knew that Christians were teaching that her father would be in Hell forever being tortured. Maybe if Christians were preaching that there is still hope for him, she would have been able to love God and be a Christian and save her soul.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And if somebody tells me their Buddhist mother died without believing in Jesus, I have to tell them that sorry , your mother is burning in hell for all eternity... And you really think that's going to bring somebody to Christ?
Please use the "Reply" feature. Otherwise, your comment may go unnoticed.

...No. You don't understand. The Word of God, is called the Word...because it's media. Written in the stars and everything in the universe...and, yes, even me, you, and the Buddhists...are His media. And when you read, that "It is written", it is not only referring to the fact that what inspired men of God was written down and recorded in a book - it was written "before the foundation of the world." And this...this world, this creation, this "image", is our last will and testament - God's revelation of the truth of life through 3D, animated, real to life, light and magic media. History, is His story...and we, we are written into it's pages, while the real us is like data stored in the recesses of His mind. You see, when He said that He created us in His image - that is exactly what He meant - it's all an image.

However, among the good news of God, is the fact that He invited everyone, both the chosen and the unchosen, both the Jew and gentile (including the Buddhists). That is the part of the story we are in right now - these are "the times of the gentiles." This is their time. So, among all of us pixelated image characters (owed to Disney), the invitation has come out to all, so that not only can Pinocchio become a real boy, but anyone who would like to.

But there's more. In this world of imagery - no body dies. It's just lights and such - and no, I am not crazy, go back and read Genesis..."Lights, camera, action!" Anyway, if a caricature image person living in the story would rather not be just a Godly caricature, they can. And if not, then, when the lights go out...it is as if they never were - because, none of us "are" unless, we look at all the evidence the world has to offer and say, "Aha, there is a God and I want to really live!" - and then you, they, whomever, will. But don't misunderstand, God grades on a curve, their entry is easier than for those who have the whole story. In which case, you are correct, God just decides if they will come to life or just remain a lovable character in the story of how God sent out invitations to all who would come.

The world is more than you know, and less.

Last edited:
Reactions: amadeus and FHII

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am not saying I agree qith Trump0101... But it is an interesting topic. And there are a few verses he could bring up.

"There are two types people in this world. Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

Last edited:

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I knew a girl who didn't want to be Christian because her father committed suicide and was not a Christian. She knew that Christians were teaching that her father would be in Hell forever being tortured. Maybe if Christians were preaching that there is still hope for him, she would have been able to love God and be a Christian and save her soul.
We all have a story. So does God. This is it. History, is His story.

Reactions: Triumph1300

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
Northern British Columbia, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Maybe if Christians were preaching that there is still hope for him, she would have been able to love God and be a Christian and save her soul.
If Christians would be preaching that to her they would be liars.
An unsaved person cannot be saved after death according to the bible.
Please quote scripture if you think otherwise.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
...No. You don't understand. The Word of God, is called the Word...because it's media. Written in the stars and everything in the universe...and, yes, even me, you, and the Buddhists...are His media. And when....

My goodness! That was F'n awesome! Can't say I agree totally because I only read it three times and I am not sure I understand it all yet!

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

:) Well Mr President, the "condemnation" IS the judgement you speak of, because if you are of the second Resurrection, then you are already in big trouble. The throne judgement isn't about repentance, if you are of the second Resurrection, you will stand there and shut your pie hole while God gives his final verdict on your works. That is their second chance, NOT repentance. You can either repent now and be saved from the coming "condemnation", or refuse the ransom that's been paid for your soul and see your day in court.

Trump0101

Jan 7, 2018
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Many Jews were tortured to death in concentration camps I'm reading about. Those Jews did not know Jesus as their lord and savior. So after being tortured mercilessly day after day and dying , they just have to deal with worst torture in Hell .got it!

There is nothing in the Bible that says a person cannot repent after death or after the resurrection before judgement.... That does not mean everybody will be saved, but to say there is no possibility of repentance after death, is a belief not found in Scripture.

Scripture says the gospel was preached to the Dead

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Many Jews were tortured to death in concentration camps I'm reading about. Those Jews did not know Jesus as their lord and savior. So after being tortured mercilessly day after day and dying , they just have to deal with worst torture in Hell .got it!

There is nothing in the Bible that says a person cannot repent after death or after the resurrection before judgement.... That does not mean everybody will be saved, but to say there is no possibility of repentance after death, is a belief not found in Scripture.

Yes, scripture does say he preached to the dead, but that was before he rose again, not after. Jesus Christ at present is sitting on the right hand of the Father. The preaching has been left to his saints on this side of the dirt. This is why people often ask how the gospel will account for every single soul. The gospel will not account for every soul that ever existed after his resurrection who never heard the gospel, but your works will, and that is why it states that the unsaved will be judged according to their works, not according to what they believed. The message is simple, repent now, or you will see your day in court.

(Hebrews 9:26-28) "For then must he often have suffered since the foundation of the world: but now once in the end of the world hath he appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself. {27} And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment: {28} So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation."

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Again, you misunderstand...

Have you not heard the saying "You are a dead man" said to someone who appears to be alive, but will soon die? The "dead" that were preached to were all who lived and died before the Holy Spirit was sent that one may be born again from the sentence of death. They are "the house of Israel", also known as "the dead in Christ", which is the first "fold" which He must bring. These are who Christ came for as their sacrifice. For this reason Christ is called "the Last", meaning He was the last to die under the judgement of the flesh, which is that "it is given once for man to die." But...they are only saved after death because they believed in the coming of Messiah. Which is also true now: If you believe that Jesus was that promised Messiah...you will be saved. But this you must do in life, not in death. The time of the dead being saved after death was limited to Israel His elect, and is now passed since the cross, that apex of all salvation.

As for nothing in the Bible that says a person cannot repent after death, you will find it in every reference to "that day" and "the end." But also here:

Hebrews 9:27
"And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgment"

...There is nothing in between death and the judgement deliberations.

Last edited:

junobet

May 20, 2016
Germany

Peter seems to agree with you. If it wouldn't give them the chance to repent and turn to Christ, why else should Christ have bothered to make "proclamation to the imprisoned Spirits 20 to those who were disobedient long ago when God waited patiently in the days of Noah while the ark was being built." (1 Peter 3:19b-20a).

Reactions: Trump0101

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

Who ever said it was your job or anyones job to pronounce judgement on other people?

Your and our responcibility is to introduce people to Jesus and to answer their questions/objections.

If an atheoist or member of another religeon asks about their eternal fate you tell them if they want the generous pension offered by firms like google they have to be employed by that firm. If they want the benefit of the Christian after life they have to live as a Christian.
Most people understan when its explained simple.

Trump0101

Jan 7, 2018
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not saying nor have I ever said all people will be saved... I'm saying we should leave the ultimate judging up to God and not be certain that an honest, humble, charitable person is in hell for all eternity , because we simply do not know.

There were many Jews in the concentration camps who were tortured mercilessly, then died without knowing Jesus as their lord and savior. I'm saying we don't know for certain that their suffering after the concentration camps just became that much worse in the next life. God's Justice and mercy is perfect.

The Gospel is called "good news". If the soul of Anne Frank is in hell with every other person who died a Jew or non-christians, how is that good news?

I'm saying, teaching such things only further hinders the conversion of many people to Christ.

Not saying I know Anne Frank is in heaven. What I'm saying is I leave the Judgment up to God. The God I know wouldn't burn an innocent Jewish child in hell!

Reactions: amadeus