Repentance endless cycle

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

user

Aug 4, 2019
usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As a first step toward God, repentance alone does not bring the full power of salvation, although it does bring positive emotional feelings and a limited, temporary strength to break away from sin. The man who repents and goes no further will fall victim to an endless, frustrating cycle of repentance and failure, and eventually he will be worse off than ever before.

Both water baptism and Holy Spirit are necessary to complete the work that repentance begins, together complete the full work of forgiveness...

Acts 2:37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?

38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Note: Matt 28:19 does not invoke the name of salvation (Jesus), it only offers something watered down. We must be buried(immersion) with him in baptism.

Romans 6:4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

Reactions: Siddhi Koli

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As a first step toward God, repentance alone does not bring the full power of salvation, although it does bring positive emotional feelings and a limited, temporary strength to break away from sin. The man who repents and goes no further will fall victim to an endless, frustrating cycle of repentance and failure, and eventually he will be worse off than ever before.

Both water baptism and Holy Spirit are necessary to complete the work that repentance begins, together complete the full work of forgiveness...

Acts 2:37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?

38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Note: Matt 28:19 does not invoke the name of salvation (Jesus), it only offers something watered down. We must be buried(immersion) with him in baptism.

Romans 6:4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

Hi user, good post sir, many things tie into salvation, but the biggest of course is our heart condition. For instance you mention baptism as being necessary for salvation via repentance. Think of it this way, do you honestly think that salvation is dependent on baptism? I don't think God is so evil that he would deny salvation to someone who had made steps toward serving Him, yet were still babes in the truth, would you agree? I personally think that all incapable persons will have automatic salvation, haven't they suffered enough already with their infirmity? Surely you do not think I have more love that God, correct? Too many people, even among Christians, paint Him as an exacting God with little compassion. Romans 1:20 should really show His love if one truly thinks about what He has provided for us humans.

user

Aug 4, 2019
usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi user, good post sir, many things tie into salvation, but the biggest of course is our heart condition. For instance you mention baptism as being necessary for salvation via repentance. Think of it this way, do you honestly think that salvation is dependent on baptism? I don't think God is so evil that he would deny salvation to someone who had made steps toward serving Him, yet were still babes in the truth, would you agree? I personally think that all incapable persons will have automatic salvation, haven't they suffered enough already with their infirmity? Surely you do not think I have more love that God, correct? Too many people, even among Christians, paint Him as an exacting God with little compassion. Romans 1:20 should really show His love if one truly thinks about what He has provided for us humans.

Thank you for your input. Water baptism, in and of itself does not save, but it's part of what does.

These scriptures come to mind...

John 3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

Mark 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Note Matt 28:19 is not the only account of the great commission...

Luke 24:47 And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.

Now let's see what they did with that command...

Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Acts 8:16 (For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.)

Acts 19:5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.

Now can anyone show you and myself any scripture whereby anyone baptized with the words "Father, Son, Holy Spirit"

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you for your input. Water baptism, in and of itself does not save, but it's part of what does.
The man on the cross next to Jesus repented but didn't get baptised.

Reactions: Nancy

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Baptism by immersion doesn't always bring about the filling of the Holy Spirit.

I was baptized three times before years later being baptized with the Holy Spirit and received the ability to hear God's voice. He then told me, "Now get water baptized." And I did for the 4th and last time, or for the first time in the sight of God.

Reactions: Angelina and Pearl

user

Aug 4, 2019
usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The thief on the cross died before the death, burial, resurrection of Jesus.

Hebrews 9:16 For where a testament is, there must also of necessity be the death of the testator.
[17] For a testament is of force after men are dead: otherwise it is of no strength at all while the testator liveth.

The New Testament church was born in the book of Acts, when the day of Pentecost was fully come.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Baptism by immersion doesn't always bring about the filling of the Holy Spirit.

I was baptized three times before years later being baptized with the Holy Spirit and received the ability to hear God's voice. He then told me, "Now get water baptized." And I did for the 4th and last time, or for the first time in the sight of God.
I was born again and filled with the Spirit before I was baptised. So I know that baptism doesn't save you, but when God told me 'what are you waiting for go and be baptised' I did even though I had to leave my first church to do it.

Reactions: Angelina and Nancy

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was born again and filled with the Spirit before I was baptised. So I know that baptism doesn't save you, but when God told me 'what are you waiting for go and be baptised' I did even though I had to leave my first church to do it.

Yes, obey God and do as He instructs.

Reactions: Nancy and Pearl

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

How do you know? Does it say that or are you just assuming... That thief belonged to Christ and understood more than even the apostles and had faith that even though Jesus was dying next to him, he still believed Christ would come into his Kingdom and wanted to be remembered. That means he was a Christian long before he got caught from a previous crime, and had more faith than the apostles. So obviously he had been baptized.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

These scriptures come to mind...

John 3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

Mark 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

Note Matt 28:19 is not the only account of the great commission...

Luke 24:47 And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.

Now let's see what they did with that command...

Acts 8:16 (For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.)

Acts 19:5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.

Now can anyone show you and myself any scripture whereby anyone baptized with the words "Father, Son, Holy Spirit"

Hi User, our assignment as Christians is to baptize others educating them in all the things the law of the Christ commands sir. That is all we can do as Christians. Those particular words have meaning, but not literal, as the name of the holy spirit is not given in scripture, nor is it a being.

Reactions: user

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
How do you know? Does it say that or are you just assuming... That thief belonged to Christ and understood more than even the apostles and had faith that even though Jesus was dying next to him, he still believed Christ would come into his Kingdom and wanted to be remembered. That means he was a Christian long before he got caught from a previous crime, and had more faith than the apostles. So obviously he had been baptized.
If so at all, it would have been the baptism of John...not specifically Christian baptism. (But it's doubtful he was a disciple of John, either....)

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If so at all, it would have been the baptism of John...not specifically Christian baptism. (But it's doubtful he was a disciple of John, either....)

John the Baptist's baptism was a baptism of repentance. Repentance is the doorway to Jesus, which is why John came first to make the way clear. Without repentance, baptism means getting wet.

Reactions: farouk

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Hello sister,
I have to question the idea that the one thief was possibly saved, in light of the below verses...he was against Jesus, before he wasn't!

32 Let Christ the King of Israel descend now from the cross, that we may see and believe. And they that were crucified with him reviled him. Mark 15:32

41 Likewise also the chief priests mocking him, with the scribes and elders, said, 42 He saved others; himself he cannot save. If he be the King of Israel, let him now come down from the cross, and we will believe him.43 He trusted in God; let him deliver him now, if he will have him: for he said, I am the Son of God.44 The thieves also, which were crucified with him, cast the same in his teeth.45 Now from the sixth hour there was darkness over all the land unto the ninth hour." Matthew 27:41

Wasn't until Luke that the one thief believed. :)

Reactions: marks

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello sister,
I have to question the idea that the one thief was possibly saved, in light of the below verses...he was against Jesus, before he wasn't!

32 Let Christ the King of Israel descend now from the cross, that we may see and believe. And they that were crucified with him reviled him. Mark 15:32

41 Likewise also the chief priests mocking him, with the scribes and elders, said, 42 He saved others; himself he cannot save. If he be the King of Israel, let him now come down from the cross, and we will believe him.43 He trusted in God; let him deliver him now, if he will have him: for he said, I am the Son of God.44 The thieves also, which were crucified with him, cast the same in his teeth.45 Now from the sixth hour there was darkness over all the land unto the ninth hour." Matthew 27:41

Wasn't until Luke that the one thief believed. :)

I've gone over those verses myself, and even though Jesus was between two thieves there could have been more besides those two. This one that scolded the others must have multiple personality disorder to change so drastically, don't you think.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've gone over those verses myself, and even though Jesus was between two thieves there could have been more besides those two. This one that scolded the others must have multiple personality disorder to change so drastically, don't you think.

Not sure about the multiple personality disorder, lol, but, Two men were crucified at the same time as Jesus, one on his right and one on his left, which the Gospel of Mark interprets as fulfillment of the prophecy of Isaiah 53:12 ("And he was numbered with the transgressors").

Reactions: L.A.M.B. and Pearl

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not sure about the multiple personality disorder, lol, but, Two men were crucified at the same time as Jesus, one on his right and one on his left, which the Gospel of Mark interprets as fulfillment of the prophecy of Isaiah 53:12 ("And he was numbered with the transgressors").

transgressors could be two or more. But on each side of Jesus was a transgressor; after all He only had two sides and He wasn't surrounded. All I'm saying is that different accounts have to be read as a whole altogether to get the whole picture, especially when it comes to numbers. The account where that one thief spoke it doesn't mention that he was one of them who mocked Jesus first. No, in that particular account he was the one who chastised the others.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
transgressors could be two or more. But on each side of Jesus was a transgressor; after all He only had two sides and He wasn't surrounded. All I'm saying is that different accounts have to be read as a whole altogether to get the whole picture, especially when it comes to numbers. The account where that one thief spoke it doesn't mention that he was one of them who mocked Jesus first. No, in that particular account he was the one who chastised the others.

"transgressors could be two or more."

"Two others, both criminals, were led out to be executed with him. "
Luke 23:32

"Then were there two thieves crucified with him, one on the right hand, and another on the left."
Matthew 27:38

"And with him they crucified two robbers, one on his right and one on his left."
Mark 15:27

I don't know, sure seems "two" is pretty much specified.

But then, who knows.

Reactions: Pearl

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"transgressors could be two or more."

"Two others, both criminals, were led out to be executed with him. "
Luke 23:32

"Then were there two thieves crucified with him, one on the right hand, and another on the left."
Matthew 27:38

"And with him they crucified two robbers, one on his right and one on his left."
Mark 15:27

I don't know, sure seems "two" is pretty much specified.

But then, who knows.

What does the Spirit tell you? That's who I asked, and was answered.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Amen! I was also filled with the Holy Spirit before being baptised. I also know that baptism doesn't save you but it is rather an acknowledgement of Christ's death and resurrection on my behalf as I follow that same path via baptism. It is also an outward expression to family and friends that I have chosen to follow God through his son Jesus Christ.