Repentance is the Gift Of God !

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

brightfame52

Oct 16, 2020
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm going to share a few scriptures on repentance. Acts 5:31

31 Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.

Acts 11:18

18 When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life.

Acts 20:21

21 Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.

The greek word for repentance in these verses is metanoia and means:

change of mind, repentance

Usage: repentance, a change of mind, change in the inner man.

Notice also in Acts 5 and Acts 11 the God is said to give or grant this repentance. This repentance towards God is something man doesn't have naturally, it must be furnished by God. Its Gods Gift to His Chosen People.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Repentance is clearly defined, also, as a 180-degree turn away from sin, death, and hell towards righteousness, life, and heaven.

(see Ezekiel 33:19 and 2 Chronicles 7:14).

Last edited:

brightfame52

Oct 16, 2020
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Repentance is clearly defined, also, as a 180-degree turn away from sin, death, and hell towards righteousness, life, and heaven.

Do you understand that repentance is the Gift of God in Salvation?

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Brother, I think we can agree on your definition of repentance, that it is a gift of God. And I would agree with the brother that we *must* do it to qualify for salvation. It is a condition for salvation, but the virtue originates from God. Our virtue is simply in making the right choice to participate in it.

brightfame52

Oct 16, 2020
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Brother, I think we can agree on your definition of repentance, that it is a gift of God. And I would agree with the brother that we *must* do it to qualify for salvation. It is a condition for salvation, but the virtue originates from God. Our virtue is simply in making the right choice to participate in it.
It comes from Salvation as a free gift!

Reactions: Randy Kluth

Earburner

Feb 2, 2019
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

You need to understand that the form of repentance that you are talking about is
metanoeo and not metanoia.
Metanoia is God given.
Metanoeo is human driven.

The act(s) and self will of metanoeo saves no one. The Gift of Eternal life cannot be received through that form of repentance by self will.
John 1[12] But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
[13] Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but [the will] of God.

Dec 24, 2020
Springfield
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Faith is the gift of God.

“For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:”
‭‭Ephesians‬ ‭2:8‬ ‭KJV‬‬

without his mercy no man could be saved, through faith, we cannot repent until we “see” see our sin, through faith we can repent and be saved.

faith, seeing what’s not seen, is what brings all good things from God. Jesus came so we might have sight. We walk by faith, but we don’t walk blindly. We look not at temporal things, but at the eternal unseen things, through faith. The invisible things are clearly seen, through faith.

faith is his gift, by his grace he chooses who it is given to.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

"But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees come to his baptism, he said unto them, O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come?
Bring forth therefore fruits meet for repentance:
And think not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to our father: for I say unto you, that God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham.
And now also the ax is laid unto the root of the trees: therefore every tree which bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.
I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:" Matt 3:7-11

"Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call." Acts 2:37-39

Dec 24, 2020
Springfield
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“And Jesus said, For judgment I am come into this world, that they which see not might see; and that they which see might be made blind. And some of the Pharisees which were with him heard these words, and said unto him, Are we blind also? Jesus said unto them, If ye were blind, ye should have no sin: but now ye say, We see; therefore your sin remaineth.”
‭‭John‬ ‭9:39-41‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Can’t repent til we “see” our sin, which causes godly repentance which shakes us to the core.

Faith is the gift of God. Repentance is a fruit of faith.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
OH the wondeful goodness of GOD which leadeth unto repentance . Praise the glorious Lord .
For you are saved by grace , through Faith in Jesus Christ .
Let all be Holy for He is holy . Let the glorious Lord be praised . And let all who name the name of Christ
depart from inquity .

Reactions: Mayflower and Nancy

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Metanoia is God given.
Metanoeo is human driven.

Good Point, G3341, metanoia is the requirement by God on man's part. as our Brother amadeus pointed out, Matthew 3:8 "Bring forth therefore fruits meet for repentance:" but also it's God's Mercy in giving "repentance" or leading men to it. Acts 5:31 "Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins."

that was something God did.

and G3340, metanoeo, is something human do in respond to God's Requirement, and Mercy. scripture, Acts 2:37 "Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?" AND WHAT DID THEY SAY
Acts 2:38 "Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost."

@amadeus this is all coming back to what we was discussing before in another topic, Micah 6:8 "He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

the apostle Peter by the Holy Ghost said, "Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost." or recieve the PROMISE, which was afore given unto Abraham. and this promise is for all men to a. love Mercy, which God has shown in G3341, metanoia, to show Mercy, which he has, as said above, to grant repentance. and to do Justly, or do Right, or do Righteousness, which God has shown again in G3341, metanoia, scripture, Romans 3:25 "Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;" (that's called JUSTIFICATION ON GOD'S PART), or as Earburner said, "God driven". BINGO.

and when one do that then human can "Walk"/LIVE humbly with their God.

Thanks Earburner, I had to go back and look at that again for myself. and in doing so, got more revelation on Micah 6:8. so again thanks Earburner

this is what christian suppose to do, sharpen each other, Iron sharpen Iron. instead of arguing.

PICJAG
101G The "Spiritual Saboteur"

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good Point, G3341, metanoia is the requirement by God on man's part. as our Brother amadeus pointed out, Matthew 3:8 "Bring forth therefore fruits meet for repentance:" but also it's God's Mercy in giving "repentance" or leading men to it. Acts 5:31 "Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins."

that was something God did.

and G3340, metanoeo, is something human do in respond to God's Requirement, and Mercy. scripture, Acts 2:37 "Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?" AND WHAT DID THEY SAY
Acts 2:38 "Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost."

@amadeus this is all coming back to what we was discussing before in another topic, Micah 6:8 "He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

the apostle Peter by the Holy Ghost said, "Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost." or recieve the PROMISE, which was afore given unto Abraham. and this promise is for all men to a. love Mercy, which God has shown in G3341, metanoia, to show Mercy, which he has, as said above, to grant repentance. and to do Justly, or do Right, or do Righteousness, which God has shown again in G3341, metanoia, scripture, Romans 3:25 "Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;" (that's called JUSTIFICATION ON GOD'S PART), or as Earburner said, "God driven". BINGO.

and when one do that then human can "Walk"/LIVE humbly with their God.

Thanks Earburner, I had to go back and look at that again for myself. and in doing so, got more revelation on Micah 6:8. so again thanks Earburner

this is what christian suppose to do, sharpen each other, Iron sharpen Iron. instead of arguing.

PICJAG
101G The "Spiritual Saboteur"
When it comes to the original written languages of scripture, I am very dependent on others. I tried once very late already in life to begin to study on them, but I learned quickly that it would take nearly all of my time and in my weakness and frailty unless God helped me in it, it would likely bring about my physical demise sooner rather than later. As a young man I had studied German and Spanish and much of that is still with me, but my youth was a very long time ago now, at least as men count time. Old dogs really can learn new tricks, but it certainly is a more difficult or slower pathway that it once was. Fortunately God can and does help us when we are walking with and in Him.

I look things up using my own lexicons or on the Internet sometimes as a help and sometimes I read what others like yourself and @Earburner have shared on this thread, but it still, ultimately, comes back to trusting in God, leaning on Him and being led by the Holy Spirit. Alone, none of us, intelligent or stupid, educated or ignorant, can get it done right in the eyes of God.

Before I had ever read a Bible, I repented, even though at the time if someone had asked me what that meant I would have been hard pressed to give even a simple definition in words that most people would understand.

"O LORD, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps." Jerem 10:23

"Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.1
In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths." Prov 3:5-6

Give God the glory!

Reactions: 101G and Nancy

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm going to share a few scriptures on repentance. Acts 5:31

31 Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.

Acts 11:18

18 When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life.

Acts 20:21

21 Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.

The greek word for repentance in these verses is metanoia and means:

change of mind, repentance

Usage: repentance, a change of mind, change in the inner man.

Notice also in Acts 5 and Acts 11 the God is said to give or grant this repentance. This repentance towards God is something man doesn't have naturally, it must be furnished by God. Its Gods Gift to His Chosen People.

on the subject of gift of God, to take it a step further, the gift if you will is actually that He would accept one's repentance, hence show Mercy. and that Mercy is experienced by the repenter, because the repenter knows he should be destroyed in the Presence of God, but God spares the repenter.

brightfame52

Oct 16, 2020
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The word Give in Acts 5 and grant in Acts 11 are the very same greek word didómi and does mean to:

1. of one's own accord to give one something, to his advantage; to bestow, give as a gift:

to supply, furnish, necessary things:

Joined with nouns denoting strength, faculty, power, virtue, δίδωμι (τίνι τί) is equivalent to: to furnish, endue,

This furnishing is the new birth, new Spiritual life and faculties.2