righteousness

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
not sure where to post this but looking see postings on righteousness

20 For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven. i understand what christ is saying .. there is self righteousness and there is true righteousness . in isaiah 64;6 But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away so we know any thing we do to make us righteous .is like filthy rags which refers to discarded menstrual cloth .
we know paul wrote in philippians Christ is our righteousness
Philippians 3:9 King James Version (KJV)
9 And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:

other words we could use is justified sanctified . feel free to comment please no arguments . the moment we are saved we are declared righteous . but i will leave this question open . is that the end of righteousness for those truly saved as in nothing else to do. or is there some things in scripture we are to follow ?

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

20 For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven. i understand what christ is saying .. there is self righteousness and there is true righteousness . in isaiah 64;6 But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away so we know any thing we do to make us righteous .is like filthy rags which refers to discarded menstrual cloth .
9 And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:

other words we could use is justified sanctified . feel free to comment please no arguments . the moment we are saved we are declared righteous . but i will leave this question open . is that the end of righteousness for those truly saved as in nothing else to do. or is there some things in scripture we are to follow ?

Yes, there are great verses in 2 Peter.

2 Peter 1:
2 Grace and peace be multiplied to you in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord, 3 as His divine power has given to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of Him who called us by glory and virtue, 4 by which have been given to us exceedingly great and precious promises, that through these you may be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

5 But also for this very reason, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue, to virtue knowledge, 6 to knowledge self-control, to self-control perseverance, to perseverance godliness, 7 to godliness brotherly kindness, and to brotherly kindness love. 8 For if these things are yours and abound, you will be neither barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 For he who lacks these things is shortsighted, even to blindness, and has forgotten that he was cleansed from his old sins.

10 Therefore, brethren, be even more diligent to make your call and election sure, for if you do these things you will never stumble; 11 for so an entrance will be supplied to you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

I want to point out some clarifications of some misconceptions in Christianity. We are cleansed of our PAST sins, not our past, present and future sins as some teach erroneously. Also we must be born again of the Spirit, that requires repentance and total dependence on Christ to become righteous. He in turn gives you the Holy Spirit to fill you. When we are born again, we lose the power the carnal nature had over us, and instead we are partakers of the divine nature that has power over sin. Therefore, you will not be committing any "present and future" willful sins against God.

Last edited:

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I want to point out some clarification of some misconceptions in Christianity. We are cleansed of our PAST sins, not our past, present and future sins as some teach erroneously. Also we must be born again of the Spirit, that requires repentance and total dependence on Christ to become righteous. He in turn gives you the Holy Spirit to fill you. When we are born again, we lose the power the carnal nature had over us, and instead we are partakers of the divine nature that has power over sin.
no disagreement on this . i used these scriptures last sunday night only 1-4 .in this subject i had over looked them. thanks i will look at them again .i will be ministering this sun and sun night :)

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
no disagreement on this . i used these scriptures last sunday night only 1-4 .in this subject i had over looked them. thanks i will look at them again .i will be ministering this sun and sun night :)

As you see in verse 4, our born again nature is called the divine nature. What did you teach regarding it?

Another erroneous teaching out there is that after justification/the cleansing of our past sins, that the rest of our lives is a process called Sanctification in which we overcome sin through a process of sin, repent, sin, repent, sin, repent. WRONG. Justification and Sanctification are back to back. When we are cleansed of all sin, we are sanctified to do good works. Sin has already been dealt with. The rest of our lives is perfecting the divine nature, and that process is called Glorification. We are no longer sinners, we are "children of God." We develop the mind of Christ, and we add to your faith virtue, to virtue knowledge, 6 to knowledge self-control, to self-control perseverance, to perseverance godliness, 7 to godliness brotherly kindness, and to brotherly kindness love.

This is not something I've ever heard taught in a Church. Most pastors, even Spurgeon, call us still sinners. But that is an insult to the power of Christ. Even though Paul taught that we are dead to sin, he, in the same chapter 6 of Romans, said we must also reckon ourselves dead to sin. In other words, we must believe the fact. He knew of all the false doctrines of unholiness already being taught in the Church, "turning the grace of God into licentiousness." but he would have turned over in his grave to see the Reformationists. "Even if we were to commit murder and adultery 1000 times a day, we would still be saved." But Jesus said of that time, " 4 You have a few names even in Sardis who have not defiled their garments; and they shall walk with Me in white, for they are worthy. Personally, I believe those teachers to be Jacob Arminius and John Wesley.

Reactions: marks

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Simply to say, having been made righteous, what remains is to live according to our new nature.

Colossian 3
8 But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth.
9 Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds;
10 And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him:

Much love!

Reactions: ScottA

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Another erroneous teaching out there is that after justification/the cleansing of our past sins, that the rest of our lives is a process called Sanctification in which we overcome sin through a process of sin, repent, sin, repent, sin, repent. WRONG.

All the while, the reality is it's not "practicing", getting better at it, that overcomes sin, it's faith. And faith, you can believe at all times.

Edit to say . . . we can walk in faith at all times. As CL wrote, the faith of Jesus, His faith, faith that comes from Him.

We don't need to learn how to not sin, we need to learn to walk in faith.

Telling people that sin is inevitable is a terrible thing to do to them.

Much love!

Last edited:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When we are cleansed of all sin, we are sanctified to do good works. Sin has already been dealt with. The rest of our lives is perfecting the divine nature, and that process is called Glorification. We are no longer sinners, we are "children of God." We develop the mind of Christ, and we add to your faith virtue, to virtue knowledge, 6 to knowledge self-control, to self-control perseverance, to perseverance godliness, 7 to godliness brotherly kindness, and to brotherly kindness love.
Amen!!

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All the while, the reality is it's not "practicing", getting better at it, that overcomes sin, it's faith. And faith, you can believe at all times.

We don't need to learn how to not sin, we need to learn to walk in faith.

Telling people that sin is inevitable is a terrible thing to do to them.

Much love!

It is not our faith, but the faith OF Christ. In other words, the Holy Spirit's power in us. We must walk in the Spirit, nothing of ourselves. Even the demons believe and tremble.

Reactions: Grailhunter

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
good post hope to see more consrutive replies

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
our outward righteousness /actions should match our inward. so often if not careful it will be more outward than inward . we talk the talk but do we walk the walk ? is the big 64 thousand dollar question

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
It's the case that if we turn out not to be cleansed from our present sins, then were were never justified in the first place.

We are not saved, then lost, then saved, then lost, etc.....

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's the case that if we turn out not to be cleansed from our present sins, then were were never justified in the first place.

We are not saved, then lost, then saved, then lost, etc.....
i dont buy this lost saved lost saved lost saved you either are or your not

Reactions: marks

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I don't buy it, either... Romans 8, John's Gospel, John's First Epistle, etc., are very clear on the basis of the believer's assurance and on eternal security.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Do you buy that we can go in and out of a house? Or do you think it is weird to think that when we enter into a house...we must always remain in that house?

So it is your understanding of the man-made construct of "saved" that stops you from understanding the way of salvation.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Righteousness is to do what is right...to be honest and humble before God and men. It is vain religion that destroys righteousness...promising a future eternal life if only you will stop being humble and God-fearing and take on certain religious beliefs that promise eternal security. But it is a devil's bargain. God tests His people to see if they will embrace iniquity...to save their own lives. The truth sets us free from these lies.

God builds His eternal life ON righteousness just like the early church was visited in the upper room. The ground floor is righteousness.

Reactions: faithfulness

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When we are justified, the Lord declares us righteous.

It is impossible for God to lie (Hebrews 6:18, Titus 1:2).

Therefore, when God declares us righteous, He calls those things which be not as though they are; thus creating a new reality (Romans 4:17).

Whereas previously we were ungodly, the Lord makes us righteous through a declaration (Romans 4:5). This new identity is secure and unshakable even if we blow it (also Romans 4:5).

There is a practicality (Romans 5:19, Matthew 5:6, 1 John 3:7) to the righteousness that God gives us (Romans 5:17).

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

If you have been converted to where all your past sins have been cleansed, and then given the power of the Holy Spirit to commit no sins against God from then on, you won't be committing sins against God in the present or future. So if you ARE committing sins against God in the present, then you probably were never justified in the first place. But as Hebrews 10:26-31 shows, it is possible, as it shows that this person had already been sanctified.

The problem with OSAS is some are committing sins, and believe they are saved when they are not, all because of the doctrine of OSAS, that is usually taught without teaching the holiness that comes from the power of the Holy Spirit. Those without the Spirit have never been converted. A better assurance is found in 1 John 3:21-24

Last edited:

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The problem with OSAS is some are committing sins, and believe they are saved when they are not, all because of the doctrine of OSAS, that is usually taught without teaching the holiness that comes from the power of the Holy Spirit. Those without the Spirit have never been converted. A better assurance is found in 1 John 3:21-24
BINGO exactly WE ALL WILL SIN sin of omission and commission . a true child of God knows how to take care of the problem 1 john 1:9.. isas teaching has been watered down through the years . there is security in our salvation.. butttt no place in scripture does it say you can do as you please and still make heaven i have yet to find the perfect Christian . yes there are those who do there very best to live the life . none of us have any excuse petr wrote he has Given us all things so for our sake we should take paul advice to timothy flee youthful lust follow /pursue righteousness . this post was not started to discuss can or can we not but does our righteousness exceed the pharisee and scribes

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't buy it, either... Romans 8, John's Gospel, John's First Epistle, etc., are very clear on the basis of the believer's assurance and on eternal security.
there is assurance to keep the devil from setting fire through the flesh..i use the term know so salvation we can know . the words osas eternal security in the wrong crowd . can create a storm