Rightly dividing the word of truth?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Interestingly enough. the word in greek means to cut into a straight path, To Guide along a straight path, To be smooth, To lead in the right direction.
Thank you. That helps giving me something further to consider. If God’s desire is that we rightly divide our bread with the hungry… I see hungry people every day: broken, hopeless, empty, seeking, withering…I read it but I don’t know how to do that…to give my bread to the hungry. I’m not even sure I understand what it means to break bread. Again, I read it …I read where Paul says “what I was given of the Lord, I gave unto you.”

1 Corinthians 11:23-26 For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, That the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread: [24] And when he had given thanks, he broke it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me. [25] After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do you also, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me. [26] For as often as you eat this bread, and drink this cup, you do show the Lord's death till he come.

It’s one thing to read it.
Another to actively do as it says.
But my dilemma is how do you do what is shown, if you don’t yet understand what is shown? Only sharing this with you or any others here to ask for help, in understanding how to practice dividing our bread with the hungry?

Last edited:

gordon7

Mar 21, 2023
Ireland
Faith
Christian
Country
Ireland
What about considering this:

Luke 9:57 And it came to pass, that, as they went in the way, a certain man said unto him, Lord, I will follow thee whithersoever thou goest.
58 And Jesus said unto him, Foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests; but the Son of man hath not where to lay his head.
59 And he said unto another, Follow me. But he said, Lord, suffer me first to go and bury my father.
60 Jesus said unto him, Let the dead bury their dead: but go thou and preach the kingdom of God.
61 And another also said, Lord, I will follow thee; but let me first go bid them farewell, which are at home at my house.
62 And Jesus said unto him, No man, having put his hand to the plough, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God.

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you. That helps giving me something further to consider. If God’s desire is that we rightly divide our bread with the hungry… I see hungry people every day: broken, hopeless, empty, seeking, withering…I read it but I don’t know how to do that…to give my bread to the hungry. I’m not even sure I understand what it means to break bread. Again, I read it …I read where Paul says “what I was given of the Lord, I gave unto you.”

1 Corinthians 11:23-26 For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, That the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread: [24] And when he had given thanks, he broke it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me. [25] After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do you also, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me. [26] For as often as you eat this bread, and drink this cup, you do show the Lord's death till he come.

It’s one thing to read it.
Another to actively do as it says.
But my dilemma is how do you do what is shown, if you don’t yet understand what is shown? Only sharing this with you or any others here to ask for help, in understanding how to practice dividing our bread with the hungry?
in 1 cor. he is talking about a ceremony of breaking bread in remembrance of Christ. This basically took over from the Passover meal the Jews had to remember Egypt.

As for sharing what you have, if you see someone in need help them, if you have the means..

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Considering Prayer …asking and thanking God. I do see Paul when he broke bread and told them “it was for their health” First, he gave thanks to God before breaking the bread and taking some for himself and also for feeding those with him in the ship. “Helping together” “by the means of many persons thanks”
2 Corinthians 1:9-11 But we had the sentence of death in ourselves, that we should not trust in ourselves, but in God which raises the dead: [10] Who delivered us from so great a death, and does deliver: in whom we trust that he will yet deliver us; [11] You also helping together by prayer for us, that for the gift bestowed upon us by the means of many persons thanks may be given by many on our behalf.

Interesting to me is the dividing it, or breaking of bread to feed the hungry is “for your health” as Isaiah 58 speaks on (Imo)
Isaiah 58:7 : "Is it not to divide your bread with the hungry And bring the homeless poor into the house; When you see the naked, to cover him; And not to hide yourself from your own flesh?

Isaiah 58:8 : "Then your light will break out like the dawn, And your recovery will speedily spring forth(for the health of your body, the body of Christ); And your righteousness will go before you; The glory of the LORD will be your rear guard.

Isaiah 58:9 : "Then you will call, and the LORD will answer; You will cry, and He will say, 'Here I am.' If you remove the yoke from your midst, The pointing of the finger and speaking wickedness,

Isaiah 58:10 : And if you give yourself to the hungry : ‘For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, That the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread: [24] And when he had given thanks, he broke it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me.

And satisfy the desire of the afflicted, Then your light will rise in darkness And your gloom will become like midday.

Isaiah 58:11 : "And the LORD will continually guide you, And satisfy your desire in scorched places, And give strength to your bones(health for your body, the body of Christ); And you will be like a watered garden, And like a spring of water whose waters do not fail. (The Living water I give unto you, when one drinks they will never thirst again.)

Last edited:

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As for sharing what you have, if you see someone in need help them, if you have the means..
“If you have means…”
I hear “if the power is within you to do so.”
I hope it is. It’s mostly people I’ve traveled with along this walk. Those of my own flesh.

Right now, there are so many around me that are struggling. There is really nothing I can do to fix it. I do remember when our oldest daughter was going through a drug addiction and my hands were completely tied, where all I could do was ask God for help. And I remember a time when there was a court hearing where I wasn’t able or even allowed to speak before the judge, but I could get on my knees alone outside of that man made courtroom, and ask before the judge of all things.

so I’m reminded once again that while all those around me are struggling now of the One I can talk to about it … I do see Hope in “dividing your bread with the hungry”. Mostly because that shows me God’s heart for those hungry. I do find hope in where Paul cried out on that ship caught in the storm —where the stars and moon withdrew their light and he said he feared even for his own life—yet he told those with him that they would suffer no loss except for the ship…how the vessel broke into pieces but they all made it to dry land. just as God had told Paul they would.