Risks associated with herbal remedies

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've seen some threads on benefits of herbal remedies. I strongly disagree with taken your own medicine and I strongly suggest only taking something that a doctor would prescribe. If they won't prescribe it there is a reason. So let's take a look at some of the dangers of herbal remedies:

Herbal medicines may produce negative effects that can range from mild to severe, including:

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The growing use of herbal medicines: issues relating to adverse reactions and challenges in monitoring safety
Toxicity and Adverse Health Effects of some Common Herbal Medicines

In most countries, herbal medicines and related products are introduced into the market without any mandatory safety or toxicological evaluation. Many of these countries also lack effective machinery to regulate manufacturing practices and quality standards. These herbal products are continuously made available to consumers without prescription in most cases and the potential hazards in an inferior product are hardly recognized (Bandaranayake, 2006).

It is important to reiterate the staggering rate at which interest and use of herbal medicines is expanding. Over the past decade, the use of herbal medicines represents approximately 40% of all healthcare services delivered in China while the percentage of the population which has used herbal medicines at least once in Australia, Canada, USA, Belgium, and France is estimated at 48%, 70%, 42%, 38%, and 75%, respectively (Foster et al., 2000; WHO, 2002b). In spite of the positive perception of patients on the use of herbal medicines and alleged satisfaction with therapeutic outcomes coupled with their disappointment with conventional allopathic or orthodox medicines in terms of effectiveness and/or safety (Huxtable, 1990; Abbot and Ernst, 1997), the problem of safety of herbal remedies continues to remain a major issue of concern.

The general perception that herbal remedies or drugs are very safe and devoid of adverse effects is not only untrue, but also misleading. Herbs have been shown to be capable of producing a wide range of undesirable or adverse reactions some of which are capable of causing serious injuries, life-threatening conditions, and even death. Numerous and irrefutable cases of poisoning have been reported in the literature (Vanherweghem and Degaute, 1998; Cosyns et al., 1999; Ernst, 2002). The toxicity evaluation of the polyherbal formula, Yoyo “Cleanser” Bitters®, conducted recently in our laboratory (Ekor et al., 2010), was prompted by an unpublished case report of a young male adult who had been on self-medication with this herbal product and was subsequently admitted to the hospital on account of liver failure. Yoyo “Cleanser” Bitters® is one of the herbal remedies that is widely advertised in the various Nigerian media and as such has gained so much public acceptance over time and continues to enjoy increased patronage among consumers, especially in the southwestern part of the country. Our study revealed that this herbal formula was capable of elevating plasma levels of liver enzymes and inducing hypokalemia following 30 days administration in rats. From our observation, the potassium loss (which is capable of predisposing to dangerous arrhythmias) was a greater risk associated with this herb during this sub-acute exposure or toxicity study. Prior to this study, we had evaluated the safety of “super B blood purifier” and “super B seven keys to power” mixtures in experimental model over a decade ago (John et al., 1997). These herbal mixtures were marketed by a registered Nigerian company which cultivated medicinal plants and manufactured medicinal herbal preparations. The herbal blood tonics were well patronized by common folks who claim their efficacy according to the manufacturer’s stipulation that “they are safe, give strength and cleanse the blood and body of infection.” We obtained the herbal constituents (Entandrophragma utile and Anacardium occidentalis) and investigated the individual plant extract as well as the herbal tonics made from them. Although, all the extracts and tonics proved safe during acute toxicity study, chronic toxicity testing revealed splenic enlargement in 10% of mice that received E. utile or either of the two tonics and one case of lung tumor (John et al., 1997). Recently, Auerbach et al. (2012) reported an association between traditional herbal medicine use and the development of liver fibrosis among study participants in Uganda. A number of Chinese herbal medicines and other herbal medicines from different parts of the world have also been implicated in cases of poisoning. Many of them have been shown to contain toxic compounds which are capable of reacting with cellular macromolecules including DNA, causing cellular toxicity, and/or genotoxicity (Rietjens et al., 2005). For the purpose of brevity and other obvious constraints, adverse reactions of only a few commonly used herbal medicines are described below.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
whatever you do don't put up your nose that which was intended for your stomach....it'll not only save you the risk of nose bleed but also save you from looking dorky.....and that's a risk few want to take!

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
whatever you do don't put up your nose that which was intended for your stomach....it'll not only save you the risk of nose bleed but also save you from looking dorky.....and that's a risk few want to take!
I read up a little on herbal remedies. This thread is intended to inform people of the risks associated with self medicating.

It's important to note that doctor prescribed medicines are monitored and studied for safety, while some herbal medicines are not and have risks. See the first 2 posts.

I think people should only put food and drink into their bodies. And if they have a health problem consult a licensed physician.

It's also a point of fact that herbal remedies are part of wicca teachings.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm looking into kidney and liver failure in herbal medicines and finding some problems at least in the Chinese area as doctors begin to examine herbal medicine: https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fphar.2020.569551/full

Herbal medicine (HM) has been widely used to treat diseases for thousands of years and has greatly contributed to the health of human beings. Many new drugs have been developed from HM, such as artemisinin. However, artemisinin has adverse effects, such as renal toxicity. In 1993, a study conducted in Belgium reported for the first time that the root extracts of Aristolochia obliqua S. M. Hwang led to progressive interstitial renal fibrosis. The nephrotoxicity of HM has attracted worldwide attention. More than 100 kinds of HM induce renal toxicity, including some herbs, animal HMs, and minerals. This paper aimed to summarize the HM compounds that cause nephrotoxicity, the mechanisms underlying the toxicity of these compounds, biomarkers of renal injury, and prevention strategies. These findings provide a basis for follow-up studies on the prevention and treatment of HM nephrotoxicity.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm also finding liver toxicity problems: Herbal medicine-related hepatotoxicity

Herbal medicine products represent a common therapeutic approach in the East and are gaining increasing popularity in Western countries. They are unjustifiably considered to be side-effect free; on the contrary, severe toxicity, including catastrophic hepatic injury has been reported in association with their use. Vigilance is required from both physicians and the general public. Physicians should always suspect herbal medicines when evaluating a patient with unexplained liver injury. Regulation standards for herbal products need to be reconsidered, so that the efficacy and safety of these products have been clearly demonstrated before they enter the markets.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
I've seen some threads on benefits of herbal remedies. I strongly disagree with taken your own medicine

In the New Testament, you have Paul.
With him, much of the time, was Luke.
Luke wrote one of the Gospels.
Luke was a doctor, and he used medicine that was mostly herbal, holistic, as that was all that was available, 2000 yrs ago.

A great Saint named Hildegard Of Bingen, was a holistic healer, who used earth plants to achieve it.
She used what God created, and there is health in what God creates as the green stuff.
She wrote books on the application of using plants to heal.

So, using the herbs and the plants that God provided is smart medicine, as He tells us that we are to use "every herb, bearing seed".....as our food, and as our health products.

The reality is, herbal medicine has been around for 6000 yrs, and pharmaceuticals, as provided by drug companies, kill people.
Drugs are very toxic, and often its their toxicity that kills you.
Cancer drugs, and drugs related to solving immune issues, are among the worst, as you are literally eating poison to try to keep staying alive.
Sometimes you have to do it.

There are a lot of good holistic medications that have been proven by the FDA to not harm you, and they provide extreme health benefits to you.
Herbal TEA, for example.
Ginseng
Ginkgo Biloba

There are also herbal solutions that can harm you....YES..so, its up to you to be informed, as its the lack of knowledge that destroys you, the bible teaches.

Last edited:
Reactions: Matthias and marks

liafailrock

Jul 4, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've seen some threads on benefits of herbal remedies. I strongly disagree with taken your own medicine and I strongly suggest only taking something that a doctor would prescribe. If they won't prescribe it there is a reason. So let's take a look at some of the dangers of herbal remedies:

Herbal medicines may produce negative effects that can range from mild to severe, including:
While there's no doubt that some natural remedies may be a problem for some people, it's the latter half of your post I think most people have issues with, i.e. ask for a doctor's advice. Medical science (so-called) has become extremely political, and even doctors who want to help are basically chained as to what they can say. And look what they are pushing that is blatantly false, such as natural foods with saturated fats are unhealthy (e.g. butter) and can give heart attacks, salt is bad, stay out of the sun and every other good God-given gift they hatefully despise and try to remove any good and righteous person who would otherwise say so. The same goes for our religious institutions, government and economic are part of Babylon. Yes, I feel sorry for people who mean well and try to take an herb to be misguided, but when we look at the overall situation involving trust issues, we have to understand where the real problem is: as the bible says sheep without a shepherd. And false shepherds won't cut it no matter how many diplomas are on their wall.

BeyondET

Jul 9, 2022
Hampton Roads
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When I needed a heart valve that was a no Brainer but years before that my thyroid slowed down was on prescribed meds few yrs but sometimes that isn't good though the added hormones will cause the thyroid to slowly die out if have thyroid isn't totally dead it can be brought back to normal with ashwaganda, others things like cologne powder, new study CBD oil helps keep the thyroid hormones at normal also.

But that is a concern with thyroid meds once you get on them and stay on them it's a life thing.

Reactions: dev553344

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When I needed a heart valve that was a no Brainer but years before that my thyroid slowed down was on prescribed meds few yrs but sometimes that isn't good though the added hormones will cause the thyroid to slowly die out if have thyroid isn't totally dead it can be brought back to normal with ashwaganda, others things like cologne powder, new study CBD oil helps keep the thyroid hormones at normal also.

But that is a concern with thyroid meds once you get on them and stay on them it's a life thing.
Yes that can be concern to look for alternative medicines. I created the thread for people that look for alternative meds instead of seeing a doctor first.

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who is eating the toilet paper :eek:

Anyway I'd have to say, these risks are the same with prescription medication and OTC medication.

You can destroy your liver with ibuprofen and I'm personally allergic to amoxicillin. So if I need an antibiotic, and if I am forced to choose between making an antibiotic or being prescribed one, it's the prescribed one that's going to put me in the hospital.

Moral of the story:

Know what you're doing~
Don't be a goober

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Anyway I'd have to say, these risks are the same with prescription medication and OTC medication.

You can destroy your liver with ibuprofen and I'm personally allergic to amoxicillin. So if I need an antibiotic, and if I am forced to choose between making an antibiotic or being prescribed one, it's the prescribed one that's going to put me in the hospital.

Moral of the story:

Know what you're doing
@LadyofFireandLace Some ppl think herbal meds. are harmless; but I guess it can depend also on the strength of the remedy....

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Who is eating the toilet paper :eek:

Moral of the story:

Know what you're doing~
Don't be a goober
hey there quack quack......glad to see you are still in the loop. Hope the family stuff is sorting itself out.

Reactions: DuckieLady

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@LadyofFireandLace Some ppl think herbal meds. are harmless; but I guess it can depend also on the strength of the remedy....
Most remedies are going to be really basic ones that you already use or have at home or know what it is.

Garlic, honey, ginger, etc.

Otherwise it's usually going to be something common everybody else already knows about.

Most of you know I had eye problems and couldn't work the register without a pair of reading glasses. Could barely see and was in so much pain.

Mom said I think "I think you have dry eye syndrome" and gave me fish oil for it. Mom was right and I've been working at the till without glasses and I don't feel like anyone is stabbing me in the eye with the sun that feels like needles.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Most remedies are going to be really basic ones that you already use or have at home or know what it is.

Garlic, honey, ginger, etc.

Otherwise it's usually going to be something common everybody else already knows about.

Most of you know I had eye problems and couldn't work the register without a pair of reading glasses. Could barely see and was in so much pain.

Mom said I think "I think you have dry eye syndrome" and gave me fish oil for it. Mom was right and I've been working at the till without glasses and I don't feel like anyone is stabbing me in the eye with the sun that feels like needles.
@LadyofFireandLace I can sympathize; years ago my eyes gave me excruciating pain; but for many years now, no such issue at all..........

The Lord is good..........

Reactions: DuckieLady

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
We should remember the internet is the best doctor in town because we can thoroughly research our maladies and also talk to other people with the same thing so we can compare notes and discuss meds and treatments etc, and end up knowing more about it than the doctors..:)
For example I developed irritable bowel and bladder syndrome a couple of years ago, it sometimes felt like a fire was raging down below and I sometimes peed blood, so after speaking to my doctor and getting nowhere I fully researched it on the net and simply made a list of foods and drinks to avoid, and now its under control..:)

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I worked with a young woman, in her late 20’s, a Buddhist, born and raised in Taiwan, who wanted to have a child with her husband but was unable to become pregnant. She and her husband went to American physicians who ran tests, told her that her husband wasn’t the cause, and tried various medications and surgeries to help her. They finally told her there was nothing more they could do.

Desperate, she turned to traditional Chinese herbal medicine and acupuncture. I watched as the months passed, and still she was unable to become pregnant. She was certain that it was just a matter of time before she did, and never wavered. A little less than a year after she started the Chinese regimen, she became pregnant.

Her daughter is now six years old, happy and healthy.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I worked with a young woman, in her late 20’s, a Buddhist, born and raised in Taiwan, who wanted to have a child with her husband but was unable to become pregnant. She and her husband went to American physicians who ran tests, told her that her husband wasn’t the cause, and tried various medications and surgeries to help her. They finally told her there was nothing more they could do.

Desperate, she turned to traditional Chinese herbal medicine and acupuncture. I watched as the months passed, and still she was unable to become pregnant. She was certain that it was just a matter of time before she did, and never wavered. A little less than a year after she started the Chinese regimen, she became pregnant.

Her daughter is now six years old, happy and healthy.
A friend of mine had a similar experience trying to have a child, but the pregnancy did not ever advance beyond a few weeks and she had many miscarriages. The doctors tried everything but with no success. In her late 30's it was recommended that she see a naturopath and within six months fell pregnant and carried to term, giving birth to healthy baby girl. Twelve months later she fell pregnant again and had a healthy boy.

Natural remedies work with the body, and there are no artificial chemicals to fight with the body's defense system. We should work with nature, not against it.

I would go to a doctor for broken bones, but I go to naturopaths and homeopaths for my general health. Always with greater success because they go to the cause of the problem, doctors prescribe symptom relievers. They never cure anything because there is no money in cures.

I take vitamin supplements to boost my immune system, rather than rely on untested vaccines or medications with awful side effects....
The first rule of medicine is "DO NO HARM"....most pharma medications do harm, or there would not be "side effects".

Reactions: Matthias

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A friend of mine had a similar experience trying to have a child, but the pregnancy did not ever advance beyond a few weeks and she had many miscarriages. The doctors tried everything but with no success. In her late 30's it was recommended that she see a naturopath and within six months fell pregnant and carried to term, giving birth to healthy baby girl. Twelve months later she fell pregnant again and had a healthy boy.

Natural remedies work with the body, and there are no artificial chemicals to fight with the body's defense system. We should work with nature, not against it.

I would go to a doctor for broken bones, but I go to naturopaths and homeopaths for my general health. Always with greater success because they go to the cause of the problem, doctors prescribe symptom relievers. They never cure anything because there is no money in cures.

I take vitamin supplements to boost my immune system, rather than rely on untested vaccines or medications with awful side effects....
The first rule of medicine is "DO NO HARM"....most pharma medications do harm, or there would not be "side effects".
That's maybe OK if you're seeing a professional that can tell you proper dosages. This thread is to warn people that try self medicating. It can be dangerous.