Run AWAY from Calvinism!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Thought you believed in calvinism?? Now you dont???

@Lifelong_sinner

I never was a Calvinist.
Two years ago I was introduced to Calvinism by a very close friend of mine and since then no peace and no assurance re my salvation.
There is a member who fight, tooth and nail against this hideous, insipid teaching and I admire him.
J.

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

When I heard this, my mind is made up.
J.
I hope you get two other opinions, at least, before you believe this pastor knows Calvinism and calls its doctrine a Trojan Horse. I already see him deliberately twisting some of the Calvinistic meanings concerning their T.U.L.I.P. based on my little experience of this doctrine. I am not a member or follower of any denomination and including many doctrines, including Calvinism. And I do believe that in the main, most of the Calvinistic thinking is scriptural indeed. And it is based on what I believe they mean, their understanding of what they claim. I will also say that there are only a true handful that actually know what Calvinists really mean by their T.U.L.I.P. I surely do not know the intend and all their meanings in their doctrine, so I'm not quick to judge, and especially based on another pastor's word, out-of-hand.

This pastor is like a Trojan Horse in my opinion. I would revisit this clip again and ask questions along the way about why he forces only one meaning on his audience for all the key Calvinistic key concepts. Context is short in this clip, done intentionally. He definitely wants his audience to be steered to his own created one-sided debate and discussion. I would challenge him on his understanding in several places of his discussion.

For example for (T) Total Depravation - he says that no human born is spiritually inclined to know God or look for him (all my words like his), and I agree and so do Calvinists, and most believers in Christ.

Then he says Calvinists believe that God regenerated or makes them alive to know him. And I also agree with this idea with reservations. Now the poison he adds in, is this, he deliberately twists the word 'regeneration' to quickly mean 'being saved' with the spirit of Christ. To me, making someone alive to even know God is scriptural and it does not mean being reborn at that time. It's like turning on the light to even see spiritually. I believe or want to believe that Calvinists are not saying that that person is now reborn spiritually at this point.

We have had this discussion of Calvinism many times on this forum/site, and yet I believe I have not known anyone to know the entire doctrine correctly, or there is no one who is an expert on the subject; either arguing for or against this doctrine or otherwise. That's the problem. It's like calling something a threat when everyone speaks as if they know what it is and yet nobody really knows what it is when we get down to it. Just plain old gossip and idle talk, including this video clip.

Reactions: Helen

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
I hope you get two other opinions, at least, before you believe this pastor knows Calvinism and calls its doctrine a Trojan Horse. I already see him deliberately twisting some of the Calvinistic meanings concerning their T.U.L.I.P. based on my little experience of this doctrine. I am not a member or follower of any denomination and including many doctrines, including Calvinism. And I do believe that in the main, most of the Calvinistic thinking is scriptural indeed. And it is based on what I believe they mean, their understanding of what they claim. I will also say that there are only a true handful that actually know what Calvinists really mean by their T.U.L.I.P. I surely do not know the intend and all their meanings in their doctrine, so I'm not quick to judge, and especially based on another pastor's word, out-of-hand.

This pastor is like a Trojan Horse in my opinion. I would revisit this clip again and ask questions along the way about why he forces only one meaning on his audience for all the key Calvinistic key concepts. Context is short in this clip, done intentionally. He definitely wants his audience to be steered to his own created one-sided debate and discussion. I would challenge him on his understanding in several places of his discussion.

For example for (T) Total Depravation - he says that no human born is spiritually inclined to know God or look for him (all my words like his), and I agree and so do Calvinists, and most believers in Christ.

Then he says Calvinists believe that God regenerated or makes them alive to know him. And I also agree with this idea with reservations. Now the poison he adds in, is this, he deliberately twists the word 'regeneration' to quickly mean 'being saved' with the spirit of Christ. To me, making someone alive to even know God is scriptural and it does not mean being reborn at that time. It's like turning on the light to even see spiritually. I believe or want to believe that Calvinists are not saying that that person is now reborn spiritually at this point.

We have had this discussion of Calvinism many times on this forum/site, and yet I believe I have not known anyone to know the entire doctrine correctly, or there is no one who is an expert on the subject; either arguing for or against this doctrine or otherwise. That's the problem. It's like calling something a threat when everyone speaks as if they know what it is and yet nobody really knows what it is when we get down to it. Just plain old gossip and idle talk, including this video clip.

I stand by what I have posted, I don't follow Calvin, but Christ and Him alone.
J.

praise_yeshua

Apr 19, 2022
America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then he says Calvinists believe that God regenerated or makes them alive to know him. And I also agree with this idea with reservations. Now the poison he adds in, is this, he deliberately twists the word 'regeneration' to quickly mean 'being saved' with the spirit of Christ. To me, making someone alive to even know God is scriptural and it does not mean being reborn at that time.

Then you are not a Calvinist according to the Synods of Dort.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChristisGod

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
It's like turning on the light to even see spiritually. I believe or want to believe that Calvinists are not saying that that person is now reborn spiritually at this point.

I have read enough to know Calvin and his teachings are wrong...for example, you can be born again BEFORE you believe...twisting and wresting the Holy writ...if I could i would remove all posts of the Reformers and THEIR writings..almost like the Mohammed and his Quran
Guess I was on a wrong path for two years.
The Lord knows my heart
God bless
J.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I’ve seen so many folk get started with christianity, and they start off with calvinism, and sure enough most change their mind and start hating on calvin. Its no different today i imagine than those who did it 600 yrs ago.

but i will say this, did you notice how quickly you turned on calvinism?? It tends to go the same way for people who “fall from the faith” entirely.
I's proly cuz they never heard of Jesus.....at least not the Jesus I know!

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
since always. Didnt Jesus tell us to carry our own cross? You say calvinism is wrong. Why?? Because you dont have peace or assurance. You dont turn and run when it gets difficult, you fight and fix it.
Sifting….. without a solid doctrine, you’ll change your mind about doctrines every time someone comes along who is smarter than you and convinces you of a new and improved doctrine.
I AM a calvinist and will always remain calvinist. And i will fight tooth and nail to get saved, and surrender to God.

Sounds like you want to earn salvation by your merits, doesn't work that way.
Shalom
j.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Sounds like you want to earn salvation by your merits, doesn't work that way.
Shalom
j.
I am meritorious. I wash the dishes, dry them and put them away after a meal. Wow, how nice to have a clean kitchen!