Salvation is through faith in the blood of Jesus Christ.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Such scriptures as Romans 5:9 w/ Romans 5:1, Romans 3:25, Hebrews 9:22, Hebrews 13:12, Hebrews 10:29, and 1 John 1:7 all speak of the fact that salvation is through faith in the blood of Jesus Christ.

It both justifies and sanctifies (cleanses us from all sin).

A question: When appropriated (applied to one's life), can it do one without also doing the other?

Last edited:

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Such scriptures as Romans 5:9 w/ Romans 5:1, Romans 3:25, Hebrews 9:22, Hebrews 13:12, Hebrews 10:29, and 1 John 1:7 all speak of the fact that salvation is through faith in the blood of Jesus Christ.

It both justifies and sanctifies (cleanses us from all sin).

A question: When appropriated (applied to one's life), can it do one without also doing the other?
(Seeking clarification, is the below what you're asking--)
A question: When appropriated (applied to one's life), can it justify without also sanctifying?

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
(Seeking clarification, is the below what you're asking--)
A question: When appropriated (applied to one's life), can it justify without also sanctifying?
I am asking both: Can it justify without also sanctifying; and, can it sanctify without also justifying?

But primarily the first one.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am asking both: Can it justify without also sanctifying; and, can it sanctify without also justifying?

But primarily the first one.
This is something you're going to get a whole bunch of different answers simply based on the definitions of the words themselves. For example, does a person view them as two different things or are they inseparable? OSAS? Are each of them an singular event or a process? Etc.

As for my view: salvation and sanctification are completely intertwined processes-- it's impossible to separate them. It's all about us coming closer to Him-- something that's of course entirely powered by Him.

Reactions: Acolyte and amadeus

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Every aspect of salvation is covered by the shed blood of Christ, starting with remission of sins.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think that I would define sanctification as that which is spoken of in 1 Thessalonians 5:23-24 (kjv), Hebrews 10:14, 1 John 3:9 (kjv), Jude 1:24 (kjv), 2 Peter 1:10 (kjv), 1 John 2:10, Titus 2:14, 1 Corinthians 10:13, Romans 8:12, etc.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think that I would define sanctification as that which is spoken of in 1 Thessalonians 5:23-24, Hebrews 10:14, 1 John 3:9, Jude 1:24, 2 Peter 1:10, 1 John 2:10, Titus 2:14, etc.
Would you call it an event, or a process?
An example of it being an event would be something you could say "I was saved on July 22, 1996". It's a once-and-done events.
A different viewpoint would be salvation being a process intertwined with sanctification.
And then there's more viewpoints too.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It can be an event, or it can be a process that leads up to an event (being sanctified wholly).

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It can be an event, or it can be a process that leads up to an event (being sanctified wholly).
Cool, thanks for explaining your beliefs :)

My belief is salvation is a process. A person is continually saved-- continually washed clean of the filth we get on ourselves, and continually refined in the fire to be more like Him.

Reactions: Acolyte

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Cool, thanks for explaining your beliefs :)

My belief is salvation is a process. A person is continually saved-- continually washed clean of the filth we get on ourselves, and continually refined in the fire to be more like Him.
Yes, I agree...but you should also look up the scriptures that I have referenced.

He continually cleanseth us from all sin...which indicates that I am cleansed from all sin every moment of my life...every new moment that sin comes in from the outside to make me dirty.

Therefore my state would be a state of being sanctified wholly; whatever that means scripturally.

Last edited:
Reactions: Acolyte

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Does it have anything to do with the way that cancer is put into remission?
Not really.

When a sin is washed away it is like taking a physical bath: you're clean. Doesn't mean you're not ever to get muddy again and need a bath again.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not really.

When a sin is washed away it is like taking a physical bath: you're clean. Doesn't mean you're not ever to get muddy again and need a bath again.
When you walk in the light as He is in the light, it is like you are constantly in the bathtub. The Greek tense of the word "cleanseth" indicates a continual cleansing, in 1 John 1:7.

Reactions: Jane_Doe22

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When you walk in the light as He is in the light, it is like you are constantly in the bathtub. The Greek tense of the word "cleanseth" indicates a continual cleansing, in 1 John 1:7.
Hence why I say that salvation is a continual process :)

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hence why I say that salvation is a continual process :)
That can be misunderstood into the concept that we are constantly being made better and never reach the plateau of entire sanctification, however; instead of the reality that we become entirely sanctified and then the Lord keeps us there through continual cleansing.