• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jun 26, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I believe it is possible for a heaven bound Christian to end up condemned. There are many passages describing this but I believe the parable in Luke 12:42-46 is one of the clearest.

In this parable, the word "manager" is singular, showing that there is only one faithful and wise manager being spoken of. Looking at the verses, we have:

a) V.42 tells us of a faithful and wise manager (obviously a saved man) who is put in charge while the master (Jesus) is away.

b) Vs. 43-44 say that the servant will be rewarded and put in charge of all the master's possessions if the master returns and finds that the servant has remained faithful.

c) Vs. 45-46 then tells us that the same servant will be condemned and assigned a place with the unbelievers (in hell) if the master returns and finds that he is sinning and mistreating the other servants etc.

To say that the servant will be assigned a place with unbelievers makes it obvious that he was a believer initially.

To me, this is one of several parables and passages which clearly show that a Christian can be rewarded or condemned, depending on his actions.

Loss of salvation is a vitally important issue.

What do you think of this parable?

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
82210f7fd75af3a2007e1b3121a7eeed.jpg

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I believe in loss of position.
I believe Christians will "wail and gnash their teeth" when they se what they "could have been" and are not...as Paul not wanting the miss the mark of the prize of the high calling....
I believe in a time of dark separation.

I do not believe that a Christian would lose their salvation.
Our salvation is sure. Our position is not yet proved.
Our position and calling is up to us, and our faithful service ( or not) to the Lord.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
By the way...welcome to the forum Mike.

Jun 26, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I believe in loss of position.

I do not believe that a Christian would lose their salvation.
Our salvation is sure. Our position is not yet proved.
Our position and calling is up to us, and our faithful service ( or not) to the Lord.

Thanks for the welcome ByGrace.

The parable in the OP, Luke 12:42-46, shows more than a loss of position. The one servant in the parable can either face rewards (vs.42-44) or condemnation (vs.45-46), depending on his actions while waiting for Jesus to return.

How do you interpret the parable?

God bless,
Mick

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

The parable in the OP, Luke 12:42-46, shows more than a loss of position. The one servant in the parable can either face rewards (vs.42-44) or condemnation (vs.45-46), depending on his actions while waiting for Jesus to return.

God bless,
Mick

Agree...condemnation..."beaten with many stripes"...darkness ..punishment, chastening ....but who says this is forever?? o_O :rolleyes: :eek:

. ✟

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
V.46 says that Jesus will "assign him a place with the unbelievers". Unbelievers face eternal destruction.

That is what you believe. I do not.
We could debate the words "eternal", 'forever', 'everlasting' , 'eons,' 'ages', and all their root meanings...but...it has all been done before.
Your "forever" , and my forever, are very different.

Bless you. ✟

Jun 26, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
That is what you believe. I do not.
We could debate the words "eternal", 'forever', 'everlasting' , 'eons,' 'ages', and all their root meanings...but...it has all been done before.
Your "forever" , and my forever, are very different.

Bless you. ✟

I see. You believe that the servant will be condemned but only for a while. Do you believe in purgatory?

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I see. You believe that the servant will be condemned but only for a while. Do you believe in purgatory?

If you are asking if I am a Catholic...no I am not. :)
( I am a crazy Charismatic )

I believe that Our God IS the refining Fire..... Hebrews 12:29

Peanut

Jul 19, 2017
goodbye
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
gifLaughingKitty.gif~c200
Ain't it the truth.

These type discussions go on for ages with no resolution. When it is all right there in the new testament. Jesus said it we believe it. Unless it is about this topic. Then we argue that's not really what he said, nor what he died for.

No, you cannot lose your salvation.
Firstly, you had nothing to do with it. God's grace did.
Secondly, God knew whom he would call into his grace before he created the world. He knew us by name then too. God being eternally knowledgeable, omniscient, could he have been mistaken?
No.

To be "unsaved", we'd have to evict God's Holy Spirit. Then we'd have to pile on the sins God forgot after we repented and were redeemed. Then we'd have to be un-redeemed, all mind you of our own choosing, then we'd have to be un-regenerate. And unbaptized. All us, all the time?
Having more authority to revoke God's grace than because God gave it to us as a mistake?

Hardly.
They went out from us because they were not one of us.
That's what happened with the Apostles that were not actually in Christ during his ministry. That's the message in that parable. Because Jesus, who was God, knew, being omniscient, that these type discussions would arise.

No, you can't lose your salvation.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
No, you cannot lose your salvation.
Firstly, you had nothing to do with it. God's grace did.
Secondly, God knew whom he would call into his grace before he created the world. He knew us by name then too. God being eternally knowledgeable, omniscient, could he have been mistaken?
No.

Amen. \0/ \0/ \0/

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe it is possible for a heaven bound Christian to end up condemned. There are many passages describing this but I believe the parable in Luke 12:42-46 is one of the clearest.

In this parable, the word "manager" is singular, showing that there is only one faithful and wise manager being spoken of. Looking at the verses, we have:

a) V.42 tells us of a faithful and wise manager (obviously a saved man) who is put in charge while the master (Jesus) is away.

b) Vs. 43-44 say that the servant will be rewarded and put in charge of all the master's possessions if the master returns and finds that the servant has remained faithful.

c) Vs. 45-46 then tells us that the same servant will be condemned and assigned a place with the unbelievers (in hell) if the master returns and finds that he is sinning and mistreating the other servants etc.

To say that the servant will be assigned a place with unbelievers makes it obvious that he was a believer initially.

To me, this is one of several parables and passages which clearly show that a Christian can be rewarded or condemned, depending on his actions.

Well, many are called but few are chosen.

Not all are called. Many are. But not all. Of those that are called, few are chosen. Have you considered that John said that those that leave us were never really of us? If they were of us, they would've continued with us?

Reactions: be humble

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

How do you interpret the parable?

God bless,
Mick

Actually, this parable begins in (Luke 12:35-40). Then Peter questioned the Lord as to who this parable is directed to. (41) To which Christ responded. (42-48).

So the main point I would say is found in verse (36). " And ye yourselves like unto men that wait for their lord, when he will return from the wedding; that when he cometh and knocketh, they may open unto him immediately. " If you want to apply this parable to the believer in Jesus Christ, the Christian, then understand we are the bride of Christ. Are we not? And in this parable, the wedding has already taken place. Did it not?
Therefore Christ is returning from the wedding that took place in Heaven. The servants are those on the earth at the return or Second Coming of Christ. The servants here have nothing to do with the Church or the Christians. That they are servants, yes. But not the Church. And as servants they are treated as servants. Rewarded or punished.

You speak of their punishment as 'condemnation'. But are you not reading into that. They receive beatings, and stripes. And they are appointed a lot or portion with the unbelievers. Understand at the Second Coming of Christ, Christ is preparing for the millennial reign. And though all who enter the millennium will be believers, there will be unbelievers born during this time. Just like Adam and Eve begat Cain and a host of other unbelievers. During this millennial reign, Christ is the light shinning forth from Israel and Israel shinning forth over the world. And the farther away from Israel a people are there will be less light. Outer darkness you might say. Which will be the area where the unbelievers will naturally want to gather as they cannot stand the light. It is this place that the unwatchful servant is placed. It is not hell. But it is not in close relation to the Lord either.

Stranger

Reactions: Butterfly and Helen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Outer darkness you might say. Which will be the area where the unbelievers will naturally want to gather as they cannot stand the light. It is this place that the unwatchful servant is placed. It is not hell. But it is not in close relation to the Lord either.

Well said...though I only quoted a bit of it.....I like the whole post.
Obviously I agree...

Reactions: Butterfly

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

(Mark 11:25-26) "And when ye stand praying, forgive, if ye have ought against any: that your Father also which is in heaven may forgive you your trespasses. {26} But if ye do not forgive, neither will your Father which is in heaven forgive your trespasses."

I don't know about anyone else here, but I know many believers who fit this description to an absolute T. I don't think they are going to make it out of this war with their salvation intact. Sad to say, but those Christians will be on the Lake of Fire casualty list.

Reactions: Mick_Alexander

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
don't know about anyone else here, but I know many believers who fit this description to an absolute T. I don't think they are going to make it out of this war with their salvation intact. Sad to say, but those Christians will be on the Lake of Fire casualty list.

Maybe so....but do you believe that they stay there forever?
Just interested ....