Sanballat

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Does anyone know what Sanballat means in Hebrew? I googled it and it said it means : bramblebush, enemy of God. But I looked it up in my concordance and don't see how they got that.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Does anyone know what Sanballat means in Hebrew? I googled it and it said it means : bramblebush, enemy of God. But I looked it up in my concordance and don't see how they got that.

Judges 9:15 And the bramble said unto the trees, If in truth ye anoint me king over you, then come and put your trust in my shadow: and if not, let fire come out of the bramble, and devour the cedars of Lebanon.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Doing ballet in the sand? :D Lol...nope, no idea here.

Just found this:
Dictionaries - Easton's Bible Dictionary - Sanballat
Sanballat [N] [H]
held some place of authority in Samaria when Nehemiah went up to Jerusalem to rebuild its ruined walls. He vainly attempted to hinder this work ( Nehemiah 2:10 Nehemiah 2:19 ; 4:1-12 ; 6 ). His daughter became the wife of one of the sons of Joiada, a son of the high priest, much to the grief of ( Nehemiah 13:28 ).

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Isaiah 30:3 Therefore shall the strength of Pharaoh be your shame, and the trust in the shadow of Egypt your confusion.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Judges 9:15 And the bramble said unto the trees, If in truth ye anoint me king over you, then come and put your trust in my shadow: and if not, let fire come out of the bramble, and devour the cedars of Lebanon.

Zechariah 11:1 Open thy doors, O Lebanon, that the fire may devour thy cedars.

Ezekiel 31:13-15 Upon his ruin shall all the fowls of the heaven remain, and all the beasts of the field shall be upon his branches: [14] To the end that none of all the trees by the waters exalt themselves for their height, neither shoot up their top among the thick boughs, neither their trees stand up in their height, all that drink water: for they are all delivered unto death, to the nether parts of the earth, in the midst of the children of men, with them that go down to the pit. [15] Thus saith the Lord God ; In the day when he went down to the grave I caused a mourning: I covered the deep for him, and I restrained the floods thereof, and the great waters were stayed: and I caused Lebanon to mourn for him, and all the trees of the field fainted for him.

should sound familiar Ezekiel 39:17-19 And, thou son of man, thus saith the Lord God ; Speak unto every feathered fowl, and to every beast of the field, Assemble yourselves, and come; gather yourselves on every side to my sacrifice that I do sacrifice for you, even a great sacrifice upon the mountains of Israel, that ye may eat flesh, and drink blood. [18] Ye shall eat the flesh of the mighty, and drink the blood of the princes of the earth, of rams, of lambs, and of goats, of bullocks, all of them fatlings of Bashan. [19] And ye shall eat fat till ye be full, and drink blood till ye be drunken, of my sacrifice which I have sacrificed for you.
don’t know if any of the helps.

Reactions: Waiting on him

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just found this:
Dictionaries - Easton's Bible Dictionary - Sanballat
Sanballat [N] [H]
held some place of authority in Samaria when Nehemiah went up to Jerusalem to rebuild its ruined walls. He vainly attempted to hinder this work ( Nehemiah 2:10 Nehemiah 2:19 ; 4:1-12 ; 6 ). His daughter became the wife of one of the sons of Joiada, a son of the high priest, much to the grief of ( Nehemiah 13:28 ).

Given your earlier post, I don't recommend you trying ballet in the sand. Even WITH your cane. :p

Unless...you want us to call you Sandy instead of Nancy.

Last edited:

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Zechariah 11:1 Open thy doors, O Lebanon, that the fire may devour thy cedars.

Ezekiel 31:13-15 Upon his ruin shall all the fowls of the heaven remain, and all the beasts of the field shall be upon his branches: [14] To the end that none of all the trees by the waters exalt themselves for their height, neither shoot up their top among the thick boughs, neither their trees stand up in their height, all that drink water: for they are all delivered unto death, to the nether parts of the earth, in the midst of the children of men, with them that go down to the pit. [15] Thus saith the Lord God ; In the day when he went down to the grave I caused a mourning: I covered the deep for him, and I restrained the floods thereof, and the great waters were stayed: and I caused Lebanon to mourn for him, and all the trees of the field fainted for him.

should sound familiar Ezekiel 39:17-19 And, thou son of man, thus saith the Lord God ; Speak unto every feathered fowl, and to every beast of the field, Assemble yourselves, and come; gather yourselves on every side to my sacrifice that I do sacrifice for you, even a great sacrifice upon the mountains of Israel, that ye may eat flesh, and drink blood. [18] Ye shall eat the flesh of the mighty, and drink the blood of the princes of the earth, of rams, of lambs, and of goats, of bullocks, all of them fatlings of Bashan. [19] And ye shall eat fat till ye be full, and drink blood till ye be drunken, of my sacrifice which I have sacrificed for you.
don’t know if any of the helps.

Well it's interesting but it doesn't tell me what Sanballat means in Hebrew. :)

Reactions: Nancy

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Me neither. I go to my 20 pound concordance and look it up, including the root word, if any, that it comes from. But I'm confused about what is above and below the definition for Sanballat there.

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But, if it is correct that its meaning is: bramble Bush, enemy of God, it would be interesting. There was Sanballat and Tobias, who were disturbed that Nehemiah was coming to help the people, and they mocked and asked if he was defying the king. Then Gesham joined them.

The names of this triad of opposition would then read something like this:
A bramble Bush/enemy of God (seeking to entangle/hinder nehemiah from doing what God placed in his heart), followed by God is good (Tobias) and will bring violent showers (geshem). I guess I see the violent showers as...showers of favor and protection for the work of rebuilding the wall. But this is more by feel than by scholarship. I'm not a scholar.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Me neither. I go to my 20 pound concordance and look it up, including the root word, if any, that it comes from. But I'm confused about what is above and below the definition for Sanballat there.

Sanballat...never heard of it. It is Interesting. Will follow along to read insight others bring to it.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I guess my question could only be answered by someone who physically has one of those huge exhaustive concordances before them and could tell me what the indented part above a the Sanballat definition means...

I think they have not read it properly because it seems they just picked the word above Sanballat to come up with bramble Bush. Doesn't make sense to me why they have done that...

Last edited:

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Does anyone know what Sanballat means in Hebrew?
That is not a Hebrew name, but an Akkadian name. According to Brown-Driver-Briggs (quoting another source) it means "Sin gave life".
"Sin" is a Mesopotamian god (the god of the moon), also known as "Nanna" in Sumerian. Check Britannica.

Reactions: stunnedbygrace