Sanctification

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Netchaplain

Ordained Chaplain
Oct 12, 2011
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sanctification

Many believers of late are of the notion that “sanctification” is a process involving the completion of one’s salvation, and that one cannot know for certain when, or even if one is or will be saved until this sanctification process is complete! Be encouraged, dearly beloved in Christ to know that at the moment one is brought to faith in Christ, all within is complete and entire concerning “all things that pertain to life and godliness” (2Pe 1:3), which most importantly includes—redemption within salvation!

As one cannot grow into “being holy” (either one is are isn’t), so also one does not grow into being sanctified, nor is it ever descriptively used in Scripture to denote a process. It’s not as though one can do anything to be sanctified (which comes only by the Spirit at rebirth - 1Co 6:11; 2Th 2:13; 1Pe 1:2), it must be imputed, which is the same for all the attributes of God (except salvation, which is imparted and not imputed). Any concept that tends to attribute works towards producing or retaining redemption (usually inadvertently) detracts from attributing glory to God. Works are the fruit of godliness, and not the source of godliness, which is solely of God; and the most prevalent trademark of doctrinal-error within Christianity is works-attribution towards the apprehension and retention of godliness, which detracts testimony from unlearned believers.

I believe that the sole provision in spiritual growth of one’s faith of Christianity (faith is the only godly attribute which grows, and in strength of quality not quantity, as all else is complete) lies within that which concerns its completeness and permanency (because they are the derivatives of all growth truths); and one’s testimony of love to others and the endurance of trials will be manifested in accordance to the level of the understanding and application of these two Biblical truths.

With the most important growth truths comes also the most difficulties (of course) concerning their understanding and application, which answers to why there is not only a waning in many Christians spiritual growth, but also in the number of many long time Church attendees (within the last couple generations).
NC

Reactions: Nancy

The wind

Oct 17, 2019
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Sanctification happens when one is baptized into the body of Christ in the name of Jesus and by one with the Spirit of God. Then being in Christ, we are to abstain from lusting after concupiscence(sin): the works of the flesh
which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
But the work of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
Meekness, temperance.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sanctification is not based on what we do but on who we become because of faith.

Works can never produce sanctification but we are only sanctified through the blood of Jesus (Hebrews 13:12, Hebrews 10:29); even through faith in that blood (Romans 5:1, Romans 5:9, Romans 3:25).

The blood of Jesus comes into a person's life and cleanses him from all sin (1 John 1:7, Psalms 51:7, Titus 2:14).

The character is then changed (2 Corinthians 5:17 (kjv)).

Netchaplain

Ordained Chaplain
Oct 12, 2011
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sanctification happens when one is baptized into the body of Christ in the name of Jesus and by one with the Spirit of God. Then being in Christ, we are to abstain from lusting after concupiscence(sin): the works of the flesh
which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
But the work of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
Meekness, temperance.
Hi and thanks for your input, of which I fully agree! The lifestyle of the one genuinely professing faith will be seen to "walk in the Spirit," and so much the more as He keeps teaches us in His Word (the Spirit being the Author of the Word - 1Co 2:13); and a primary confirmation for others is seeing us continuing without ceasing, unto the end.

Blessings!

The wind

Oct 17, 2019
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hi and thanks for your input, of which I fully agree! The lifestyle of the one genuinely professing faith will be seen to "walk in the Spirit," and so much the more as He keeps teaches us in His Word (the Spirit being the Author of the Word - 1Co 2:13); and a primary confirmation for others is seeing us continuing without ceasing, unto the end.

Blessings!

To walk in the Spirit is to walk in love: love works no ill to his brother.

Netchaplain

Ordained Chaplain
Oct 12, 2011
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sanctification is not based on what we do but on who we become because of faith.

Works can never produce sanctification but we are only sanctified through the blood of Jesus (Hebrews 13:12, Hebrews 10:29); even through faith in that blood (Romans 5:1, Romans 5:9, Romans 3:25).

The blood of Jesus comes into a person's life and cleanses him from all sin (1 John 1:7, Psalms 51:7, Titus 2:14).

The character is then changed (2 Corinthians 5:17 (kjv)).
Amen!

Ernest T. Bass

Jan 14, 2014
out in the woods
(1) Jude 1:1 "Jude, the servant of Jesus Christ, and brother of James, to them that are sanctified by God the Father, and preserved in Jesus Christ, and called:"

God is the One Who sanctifies man for man is unable to sanctify himself apart from God.

(2) Hebrews 10:10 The death of Christ is the basis of man's sanctification for without the death of Christ man could not be sanctified.

(3) John 17:17 sanctify them by Thy word...---the means by which God sanctifies man is through His sacred holy word. Therefore sanctification is not some capricious, miraculous event that occurs apart from the word, but those that are obedient to that word (Hebrews 5:9) are the ones God's sanctifies.

(4) This means man has a role, a responsibility in his own sanctification. 1 Peter 3:15 "But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts:..." with the word 'sanctify" being in the imperative mood, a command, a necessary requirement God has placed upon man to do. One sanctifies God in his heart by being obedient to His word. Those who live in rebellion, disobedience to God have not sanctified God in their hearts but are rejecting God's word which is the means by which God sanctifies men John 17:17.

(5) Ephesians 5:25-26 "Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it; That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,"

--As already pointed out above (2), sanctification can only happen due to Christ's death (Hebrews 10:10) so it was necessary that Christ die, that is, "gave Himself for it" for sanctification to occur.

--there must first be a "washing of water" in order for sanctification to occur. The washing of water refers to a laver of water, a baptismal font. This water baptism is accompanied "by the word" in that the word instructs men in how to be saved by being water baptized. Again, the word is the means by which GOd sanctifies (John 17:17) and those obedient to the word's command to be water baptized are the ones God sanctifies.

John 3:16----------------Spirit++++++++++++++water>>>>>>>>>>>>in the kingdom/saved
Eph 5:26----------------SPirit's word++++++++laver of water>>>>>>>>>cleansed

(6) "Follow (present tense) after peace with all men, and the sanctification without which no man shall see the Lord:" (Hebrews 12:14). The present tense denotes that sanctification is an ongoing, sustained process. It therefore is not something that happens at one moment in time where it is an unconditional guarantee no matter how the Christian lives. Romans 6:19 "I speak after the manner of men because of the infirmity of your flesh: for as ye presented your members as servants to uncleanness and to iniquity unto iniquity, even so now present (imperative) your members as servants to righteousness unto sanctification." Sanctification therefore is an ongoing necessary requirement placed upon the Christian by God, not an option. Righteousness (right doing) leads unto sanctification. One therefore is not first sanctified then does righteousness.

Again, sanctification is not a unconditional guarantee for if the Christian becomes unfaithful turning to willfully live in sin (Hebrews 10:26) then he has "trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing " (Hebrews 10:29). He becomes lost facing a " judgment and fiery indignation", a "sorer punishment" of God's wrath, (Hebrews 10:27,29).

Last edited:

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sanctification therefore is an ongoing necessary requirement placed upon the Christian by God, not an option.

It is not that sanctification is necessary per se; but that if faith is genuine sanctification will necessarily follow.

Righteousness (right doing) leads unto sanctification. One therefore is not first sanctified then does righteousness.

I don't know how to tell you this so that you will understand...but we cannot become righteous because of what we do.

We become righteous by faith; and then we do what we do because we have been made righteous.

If you are not righteous in your heart; no amount of righteous deeds is going to make you righteous.

Those deeds are merely outward and cannot affect your inward parts; whether you are righteous or not.

The only thing that can do that is faith in Jesus Christ; by whom we receive the Holy Spirit (Galatians 3:14; Romans 5:5).

Last edited:

Netchaplain

Ordained Chaplain
Oct 12, 2011
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
(1) Jude 1:1 "Jude, the servant of Jesus Christ, and brother of James, to them that are sanctified by God the Father, and preserved in Jesus Christ, and called:"

God is the One Who sanctifies man for man is unable to sanctify himself apart from God.
Hi, and always appreciate your replies and comments, because of your use your often use of Word with your posts, which is all we have to indicate what we are trying to mean. I find two uses of the word "sanctify," which one is as you've indicated--by God--who alone sets apart those who are His and is inwardly imputed as holy. The other use is that which is outwardly a show by the believer of that which is eternally inward by God. The confusion is often in determining that the outward sanctity by the believer can effect the inward sanctity by God, which is a misunderstanding and have it reversed.

Jude 1:1 is a good example of the former by God, and as you've presented, 1Pet 3:15, from Isa 8:13, is by man, which can also mean "consecrate" because it's outward by the believer, to show the inward work by God. Those who remain in the faith manifest genuine rebirth and genuine faith, because those who are not reborn but are only false professors eventually manifest that faith is absent, by departing from their professing.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It’s not as though one can do anything to be sanctified (which comes only by the Spirit at rebirth - 1Co 6:11; 2Th 2:13; 1Pe 1:2), it must be imputed, which is the same for all the attributes of God (except salvation, which is imparted and not imputed).
This goes contrary to Scripture (and I am rather surprised that you would be coming up with this).

1. Righteousness is imputed (not imparted), and that is justification by grace through faith.

2. Sanctification is what happens when Christians follow this directive -- "Grow in grace and in the knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ" (2 Peter 3:18). Growth is always progressive. So in fact everything which a Christian does in obedience to God and Christ is a part of sanctification. At the same time there are three tenses to sanctification.

1, WE HAVE BEEN SANCTIFIED (when we received the gift of the Holy Ghost)

2. WE ARE BEING SANCTIFIED (when we walk in the Spirit)

3. WE SHALL BE PERFECTLY SANCTIFIED (when we are perfected and glorified).

But to claim (as you do) that "It’s not as though one can do anything to be sanctified" -- that is completely erroneous. The entire walk of the believer is to be a walk in the Spirit. Otherwise God would not tell us "Be ye holy as I am holy".

Reactions: Ezra

Netchaplain

Ordained Chaplain
Oct 12, 2011
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This goes contrary to Scripture (and I am rather surprised that you would be coming up with this).

1. Righteousness is imputed (not imparted), and that is justification by grace through faith.
Hi, and thanks for your reply! I think maybe you've misunderstood me. My post you quoted indicates that all godly attributes e.g. righteousness, holiness, sanctification, justification are imputed (accredited); but salvation and faith are imparted (implanted, not imparted).

2. Sanctification is what happens when Christians follow this directive -- "Grow in grace and in the knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ" (2 Peter 3:18). Growth is always progressive. So in fact everything which a Christian does in obedience to God and Christ is a part of sanctification. At the same time there are three tenses to sanctification.

1, WE HAVE BEEN SANCTIFIED (when we received the gift of the Holy Ghost)

2. WE ARE BEING SANCTIFIED (when we walk in the Spirit)

I like how you present the reason for your understanding on this issue (sanctification), but we would need Scripture indicating the various tenses you've illustrated. My intention isn't to oppose your opinions but determine the reasons for your opinions with Scriptural explanations. This goes for both of us, so we're not just trying to go by opinion only.

For example (not to compete with you), in 2Pe 3:18 the growth-subjects are grace and the knowledge of Christ, which in my understanding results from being sanctified, without which one cannot be saved and grow in Christ. The difficulty here is that many confuse (not suspecting any individual) the attributes in their proper order. Faith and salvation imparted produces the walk in godly attributes, never the inverse (which I feel you may agree).

But to claim (as you do) that "It’s not as though one can do anything to be sanctified" -- that is completely erroneous. The entire walk of the believer is to be a walk in the Spirit. Otherwise God would not tell us "Be ye holy as I am holy".
Believers can "show" they are sanctified, holy, etc., which is the intention of the phrase "sanctify yourself," but cannot effect (produce) these attributes, which only God can do, as it has been indicated in this thread.

God bless!

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1, WE HAVE BEEN SANCTIFIED (when we received the gift of the Holy Ghost) postional

2. WE ARE BEING SANCTIFIED (when we walk in the Spirit) progressive /growth

ultimate
exactly amen

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sanctification

Many believers of late are of the notion that “sanctification” is a process involving the completion of one’s salvation, and that one cannot know for certain when, or even if one is or will be saved until this sanctification process is complete! Be encouraged, dearly beloved in Christ to know that at the moment one is brought to faith in Christ, all within is complete and entire concerning “all things that pertain to life and godliness” (2Pe 1:3), which most importantly includes—redemption within salvation!

As one cannot grow into “being holy” (either one is are isn’t), so also one does not grow into being sanctified, nor is it ever descriptively used in Scripture to denote a process. It’s not as though one can do anything to be sanctified (which comes only by the Spirit at rebirth - 1Co 6:11; 2Th 2:13; 1Pe 1:2), it must be imputed, which is the same for all the attributes of God (except salvation, which is imparted and not imputed). Any concept that tends to attribute works towards producing or retaining redemption (usually inadvertently) detracts from attributing glory to God. Works are the fruit of godliness, and not the source of godliness, which is solely of God; and the most prevalent trademark of doctrinal-error within Christianity is works-attribution towards the apprehension and retention of godliness, which detracts testimony from unlearned believers.

I believe that the sole provision in spiritual growth of one’s faith of Christianity (faith is the only godly attribute which grows, and in strength of quality not quantity, as all else is complete) lies within that which concerns its completeness and permanency (because they are the derivatives of all growth truths); and one’s testimony of love to others and the endurance of trials will be manifested in accordance to the level of the understanding and application of these two Biblical truths.

With the most important growth truths comes also the most difficulties (of course) concerning their understanding and application, which answers to why there is not only a waning in many Christians spiritual growth, but also in the number of many long time Church attendees (within the last couple generations).
NC
i am sorry but i have to disagree as Enoch has outlined is proper sanctified set apart to be made holy . which is 3 step process i respectfully disagree

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1. Righteousness is imputed (not imparted),

Righteousness is indeed imputed.

It is also imparted:

Mat 5:6, Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.

Rom 5:19, For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous.

1Jo 3:7, Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.

Netchaplain

Ordained Chaplain
Oct 12, 2011
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What Christians believe in accordance to they're present understanding on any issue is acceptable, because we assume that what we presently believe is true, and if it isn't God will eventually give us the correct understanding (unless you're not seeking truth, which this is the only way to find it - Mat 7:7; Luk 11:9); and of course it stands to reason that if we seek Scriptural support for our beliefs we will receive understanding the soonest.

Concerning "sanctified," my purpose for the article was to show that it is irrelevant as reference to effecting (producing) salvation, because it is fully imputed at rebirth, same for holiness, righteousness, and justification (all of which only manifests faith and salvation, not produces nor retains faith and salvation).

Note this is a list of all the NT references using "sanctified," and that they are in the present tense, or directs to the present tense:

Jhn 10:36
Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God?

Jhn 17:19
And for their sakes I sanctify myself, that they also might be sanctified through the truth.

Act 20:32
And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified.

Act 26:18
To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me.

Rom 15:16
That I should be the minister of Jesus Christ to the Gentiles, ministering the gospel of God that the offering up of the Gentiles might be acceptable, being sanctified by the Holy Ghost.

1Co 1:2
Unto the church of God which is at Corinth, to them that are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all that in every place call upon the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both theirs and ours.

1Co 6:11
And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

1Co 7:14

For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband: else were your children unclean; but now are they holy.

1Ti 4:5
For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.

2Ti 2:21
If a man therefore purge himself from these, he shall be a vessel unto honour, sanctified, and meet for the master's use, and prepared unto every good work.

Heb 2:11
For both he that sanctifieth and they who are sanctified are all of one: for which cause he is not ashamed to call them brethren.

Heb 10:10
By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.

Heb 10:14
For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified.

Heb 10:29
Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?

Jde 1:1
Jude, the servant of Jesus Christ, and brother of James, to them that are sanctified by God the Father, and preserved in Jesus Christ.

Ernest T. Bass

Jan 14, 2014
out in the woods
Hi, and always appreciate your replies and comments, because of your use your often use of Word with your posts, which is all we have to indicate what we are trying to mean. I find two uses of the word "sanctify," which one is as you've indicated--by God--who alone sets apart those who are His and is inwardly imputed as holy. The other use is that which is outwardly a show by the believer of that which is eternally inward by God. The confusion is often in determining that the outward sanctity by the believer can effect the inward sanctity by God, which is a misunderstanding and have it reversed.

Jude 1:1 is a good example of the former by God, and as you've presented, 1Pet 3:15, from Isa 8:13, is by man, which can also mean "consecrate" because it's outward by the believer, to show the inward work by God. Those who remain in the faith manifest genuine rebirth and genuine faith, because those who are not reborn but are only false professors eventually manifest that faith is absent, by departing from their professing.
I do not agree with this "outwardly" or 'inwardly' sanctification. It is God Who sanctifies - saves, not man and one has either been sanctified-saved by God or he has not. Even though God does the sanctifying, man is not totally passive. There is no case in the Bible of one being sanctified-saved by God who did not first obey the will of God.

Ernest T. Bass

Jan 14, 2014
out in the woods
It is not that sanctification is necessary per se; but that if faith is genuine sanctification will necessarily follow.

I don't know how to tell you this so that you will understand...but we cannot become righteous because of what we do.

We become righteous by faith; and then we do what we do because we have been made righteous.

If you are not righteous in your heart; no amount of righteous deeds is going to make you righteous.

Those deeds are merely outward and cannot affect your inward parts; whether you are righteous or not.

The only thing that can do that is faith in Jesus Christ; by whom we receive the Holy Spirit (Galatians 3:14; Romans 5:5).

Nowhere at all in the Bible is anyone ever said to be righteous yet that person not having done any righteousness. What one does determines what one is and one who does unrighteous remains that way until he decided to do God's righteousness THEN he will be seen by God as righteous. NO wrong dong/unrightoeus man was ever seen by God as righteous...such is not even logical.

Romans 9:11 "(For the children being not yet born, neither having done any good or evil, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works, but of him that calleth;"

Neither had done any unrighteousness or righteousness hence both, as all, are born innocent, neutral.

It therefore is impossible either one could be seen as unrightoeus having not done any unrighteousness nor seen as righteous having done no righteousness. Paul's point was that God's choice of one twin over the other was based on a Sovereign choice of God and not based on what either twin had done, not based on any work (righteous or unrighteous) either twin had done.

1 John 3:12, why was called Cain evil? Because his works were evil. WHy is Abel called righteous? Because his works were righteous (Hebrews 11:4) .."By faith Abel offered unto God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain, by which (his righteous works in sacrificing as God instructed) he obtained witness that he was righteous, God testifying of his gifts: and by it he being dead yet speaketh."
One's righteous works are witness, are proof that one is righteous. One without righteous works has no proof, has no witness that he is righteous. Just as James points out in James 2 that works prove the faith, therefore no works prove no faith. Works are the necessary proof.

Last edited:

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Nowhere at all in the Bible is anyone ever said to be righteous yet that person not having done any righteousness.
That idea is refuted by Scripture. See Romans 4 & 5. The sinner is DECLARED to be righteous when he/she is justified by grace through faith. At the same time that person is born again, so that he/she can start living righteously. That is exactly why the gift of the Holy Spirit is given at the time that one repents and believes on the Lord Jesus Christ.

Justification -- as revealed in the Bible -- is a concept that even many Christians cannot understand. They cannot believe how a holy and just God can simply declare that a sinner is as righteous as God (by imputing righteousness in exchange for faith). And because that boggles the mind, a huge number of people right here on this forum remain in unbelief.

But if you cannot believe this, then how can you claim to have faith in Christ and His finished work of redemption? It is on the basis of what Christ has already accomplished that God is pleased to extend His grace and mercy to those who are His enemies.

Reactions: Ezra

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nowhere at all in the Bible is anyone ever said to be righteous yet that person not having done any righteousness. What one does determines what one is and one who does unrighteous remains that way until he decided to do God's righteousness THEN he will be seen by God as righteous. NO wrong dong/unrightoeus man was ever seen by God as righteous...such is not even logical.

Romans 9:11 "(For the children being not yet born, neither having done any good or evil, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works, but of him that calleth;"

Neither had done any unrighteousness or righteousness hence both, as all, are born innocent, neutral.

It therefore is impossible either one could be seen as unrightoeus having not done any unrighteousness nor seen as righteous having done no righteousness. Paul's point was that God's choice of one twin over the other was based on a Sovereign choice of God and not based on what either twin had done, not based on any work (righteous or unrighteous) either twin had done.

1 John 3:12, why was called Cain evil? Because his works were evil. WHy is Abel called righteous? Because his works were righteous (Hebrews 11:4) .."By faith Abel offered unto God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain, by which (his righteous works in sacrificing as God instructed) he obtained witness that he was righteous, God testifying of his gifts: and by it he being dead yet speaketh."
One's righteous works are witness, are proof that one is righteous. One without righteous works has no proof, has no witness that he is righteous. Just as James points out in James 2 that works prove the faith, therefore no works prove no faith. Works are the necessary proof.
your problem is righteousness is not produced by us only in us . yes we are declared righteous the moment w are saved . righteousness is a fruit of the spirit it has to be produced . our own righteousness is of filthy rags things we do to try to become righteous !!! . our true righteousness is Jesus Christ
the filthy rags in reference to is as a discard sanitary napkin